Upside Down

My Guardian Angel

The darkness from before refuses to leave. Only a tiny pinpoint of light lies ahead of you. You pause for a moment and wonder why your legs aren't carrying themselves this time and gasp, completely taken aback when your lungs actually move this time. Ba-bump. Your heartbeat has returned too. With all your determination and strength, you force yourself to walk forward in your now-bare feet. A deep chill cuts through you like a dagger and you blush when you realize why. You're wearing absolutely nothing. Returning back to Earth the same way you arrived, bare . Before you even have another moment to think about it, you take off running towards the light. Much to your surprise, the light seems to be moving towards you as you move toward it and your eyes struggle to adjust. Spots cloud your vision as you continue to stumble forward, not quite knowing where you're going until you feel like a weight is crushing you from all sides.

 

And that's when you see it. A flash of the image of a man's face. A bright smile is on the face of a clearly Asian man... most likely Korean or Japanese you think. His eyes are a soft brown to match his hair and you can't help but smile.

 

"Good, you're awake," a voice suddenly cuts into your short-lived fantasy, making your eyes snap open completely.

 

You instantly wince from the bright light pouring in through the windows and whine when a burning sensation in your legs begins traveling up your thighs. "W-What happened? ... Where am I?" you ask weakly, looking up at a rather young-looking female nurse.

 

A somber expression crosses her once-excited face and she sighs a little. "You just barely survived... Your car was hit from both sides by two drunk drivers when you had the right of way. And well... We were able to save you... Just not your legs. We had to amputate them...." she says softly, but steadily.

 

"S-So they're... gone?" you ask as you slowly try to sit up and lift the sheets, peering under them curiously even as your eyes start to water. "W-What am I gonna do? Do my parents know?" you asks, your voice starting to crack as tears silently slide down your cheeks.

 

"We weren't able to reach your parents... Your cell phone was smashed to bits. And you're going to have to stay here for quite some time... We know you were enrolled at the University of Seoul, but you're not going to be able to go until we get you a decent set of prosthetics..." the nurse replies calmly as she picks up a clipboard and starts scribbling things down. 

 

You take a deep breath and try to get a hold of yourself, but the tears refuse to stop as you stare down at the stumps where your legs had been. You used to play all kinds of sports. Clearly things were never going to be quite the same. You must've been sitting there like that for a good hour before you look up and realize the nurse has left you all alone in that boring, white room. The only sounds are your weak, shallow breathing and the constant beeps of the machines that you're currently hooked up to. 

 

And so begins your second chance at life.