Statistical Probabilities and Love

[Prerevamp] The Whitest Snow [Oneshot Collection][apply]

 

 

Probability is a mathematical concept that determines the likelihood of occurrence of events that are subject to chance.

 

I smiled as I scribbled the lecture in statistics. How can you compute uncertainty? I laughed at the folly and failure of reason. It is subject to chance, and chance is not something you can control or manipulate.

With all this whining, I am surprised that I still am taking notes. I chuckled silently at my own irony. I am lecturing about the failure of reason, and here I am, defying reason also.

 

The probability of an event A is determined by first defining the set of all possible elementary events, associating a probability with each elementary event, and then summing the probabilities of all elementary events that imply the occurrence of A. The elementary events are distinct and mutually exclusive.

 

As a typical good student would, I took these notes without distracting myself by my side comments. After the class, I took my black sling bag and placed it upon my shoulder. I faced the direction opposite that of the blackboard and towards the exit, with that I caught a sight of Lee Kikwang. Lee Kikwang- the Oh-so-famous member of Beast. He is a celebrity in every sense of the word.

He has been my classmate even before he debuted, so there is nothing much that changed by the way we moved around him. There is nothing that changed, nothing, and that includes my feelings for him.

He really is such a sight to behold. I pulled my gaze from him. Doing so, presents a certain degree of difficulty; His eyes, his nose, his lips. I hit myself mentally, Avert your gaze, Avert your gaze, I chanted in my head.

After all the trying, I finally succeeded to look away and decided on continuing to walk my way to the exit.

 

Step 1. Defining the set of all possible elementary events

 

I came in, a minute too late, for my class. Ohh damn! Thank you my epic-failure-alarm clock! I cursed inside my head. If not for that failure of that non-living thing, I would have been sitting at my usual spot, in the second row. I love that seat simply because, I’ve been sitting on it for as long as I can remember, and besides, it has a good view of the blackboard without the blackboard (or the one in front of the blackboard) having a good view of you.

Just for now, I sat somewhere in the middle of the last row, at least I get to sit there quietly without attracting any unwanted attention and undue distractions.

Well, it is now time to listen to the statistician, a.k.a. professor. He just continued on discussing where we left yesterday. I yawned as a symptom of my faltering focus. I played my pen, twirling it around each of my fingers, like a majorette holding her baton. Then, it fell. I chuckled at my own childishness and leaned down to look for my pen.

I found my pen (or baton LOL) just underneath the seat to my left, on top of a blue notebook that has a huge label on its front.

“STATISTICS

I took the notebook and opened the first page. It was our lesson yesterday.

 

Definition of probability…

 

Oh! This person sure has a neat handwriting and he doesn’t just copy the lecture, he analyzes it too. I almost laughed out loud when I’ve read the things written on the lower part of the notebook.

 

WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE OUTCOMES IF I CONFESS MY LOVE TO PARK JUNG MI?

-she says yes

-she says no

-She says no. She likes me too, but refuses to be with me

-She says yes. She likes me too, and agrees to be my girlfriend

-She says no. She doesn’t like me at all

 

 

I laughed at the geekiness of the guy. Using statistics on love?

I decided to leave that notebook where it was suppose to be, after all it is plain awkward to return it to the owner. First of all, I am Park Jung Mi, the one he plans to confess to and I cannot answer his question on statistics, not now.

What if you can really calculate the probability of things happening around you? I mean it is really possible for me to calculate how much chance I have of being loved back? Is it really possible for me to be loved back by Kikwang? I wonder if I am helpless enough as to be calculating the probability like this man who did. I really wonder…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Son Dongwoon’s Point of View))

I wonder why Kikwang hyung is not here yet? I decided to call him already, after constant bickering from the other hyungs who likes pushing their maknae around. (Poor dongwoon T^T)

“Hello Hyung? You are late already! Manager hyung has been worried about you!!!”

“Aishh… I am searching for my Statistics Notebook, I think I left it here somewhere.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This oneshot is for Mesa. LOL... Park Jung Mi and Kikwang,

So, how did you like it?

Miyoko Kato, signing off <3