Silent Confession

Selective Mute

 

            The communication barrier still stood between them, especially since they forgot to bring a dictionary or anything that can allow them to talk properly. They just kept walking around the mall, looking around for something to interact with.

 

“Sorry that I don’t have a cellphone or something so you could at least say something to me when you want it.” Taeyeon mumbled, feeling apologetic while walking.

 

Tiffany turned to her, smiling and shook her head before tightening her hand around the shorter person’s.

 

Taeyeon showed a small smile as she felt her heart lighten. Just as when she was about to say something else, Tiffany’s eyes lit up towards a certain store and ran towards it, pulling the older person behind her.

 

The Korean American couldn’t help but be fascinated by the novelty shop she just stepped in and walked around. On the other hand, the person following her around couldn’t even rest for 10 seconds just because the latter wanted to roam around as fast as she could even though they had all the time in the world.

 

Even though everything seemed to be broken with only a few falls and they weren’t anything important, Tiffany really loved everything she played with in the store. It reminded her of how everything should have a least even just the most insignificant value to make its life worthwhile.

 

Taeyeon smiled at her friend. She was contented with herself about making this decision: going to the mall. At least they were enjoying themselves so far.

 

Suddenly, Tiffany grinned widely as she saw the items at the shelf near the counter. She quickly grabbed the headbands with animal ears and placed one on her head that were the ears of a panda, and placed another on Taeyeon’s head, which were ears of a tiger. The voiceless girl silently laughed at how they looked and played with them happily.

 

The older girl laughed along and stared at the headbands for a few seconds before she came to a decision. “How much is this?” She asked.

 

The person before her furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at her question but pointed at the tag that said it was a fair price for something like this.

 

“Let’s buy it.” Taeyeon smiled and grabbed the headband in Tiffany’s hands and on her head before heading over to pay.

 

The silent girl was shocked at her friend’s gesture. She wanted to be polite and say that she doesn’t need to but knowing that the shorter person will insist, Tiffany just figured to make it up to her in the future.

 

On the other side of her mind, she blushed at the fact that Taeyeon’s spending her own money on something like this. It was like a date—in her mind.

 

The older person happily thanked the cashier as she received the bag filled with the two headbands and turned back to Tiffany with a smile. “Think of it as a thank you gift.” The silent girl tilted her head at the sentence, not knowing what she could be thankful for.

 

Taeyeon simply said, “I’ll tell you someday but not right now.” She showed a small smile and started to exit the store, leaving Tiffany no choice but to follow and not to pry any more.

 

The mute interlaced their fingers once again, pondering at what Taeyeon could possibly mean.

 

---

 

            Once the two had a strolled around the mall as much as they can and had lunch, they decided to walk to the nearby park to get a fresh breath of air from being in an air-conditioned building for hours on end.

 

Seeing as the sun was turning bright orange and both of them were still enjoying each other’s company, it’s safe to say that the day’s been well spent. Though, with Tiffany, as long as their hands were connected, any day will go by wonderfully.

 

The grassy field was filled with a warm atmosphere of children running around, pets roaming freely and a couple of picnic sets put out. Tiffany was pleased with the person beside her again for suggesting something like this.

 

Even if Taeyeon won’t try, she manages to make the mute happy at the simplest things.

 

“You like it here?” Taeyeon smiled sweetly at her friend.

 

A huge grin and firm nod was returned, tightening her grasp on the shorter one’s hand.

 

They started walking around, admiring the scenery of innocence and nature.

 

“Wanna get a scoop?” Taeyeon asked, referring to the ice cream cart nearby. Of course, Tiffany won’t say no to an offer like that. The two walked on over and ordered two separate cones before Taeyeon handed over one to the person beside her.

 

Once they both settled, they started walking again.

 

“Fany-ah.” Her voice called out, seeming a bit hesitating to continue with her intention. “Be honest with me when I ask you this.”

 

Tiffany turned her attention to the person her hand was intertwined with, lowering her ice cream.

 

“Are you enjoying living with me? I mean, if you’re not…you can always ask to leave for somewhere better.” Taeyeon let her question float in the air, hiding the fact that she doesn’t want this happen even though she mentioned it.

 

Tiffany felt the uncertainty in her voice, making her heart skip a beat about the fact that Taeyeon’s putting her happiness first like this.

 

As much as she wanted to say how wrong her thoughts are about now…to say ‘In all of my life, the moment I started to live with you has been the best. And I wouldn’t have it any other way’, she couldn’t. Disregarding the fact that she can’t speak, she was also discontented about the words she formed in her head—it just wasn’t enough to express how much Taeyeon means in her life at all. She was left to just stare at her, wondering why it took so long for a person like her to appear in her life.

 

“Tiffany?” Taeyeon called out and turned to face the frozen being beside her. “I-I…I was right, wasn’t I?” She smiled sadly. “You don’t have to force yourself with me—“

 

She couldn’t even finish her sentence as the silent girl finally reacted, hugging her as tightly as she could without letting the ice cream get in the way.

 

At the embrace of the warm person around her, Taeyeon just knew that she won’t be alone from now on. And she can make sure of that.

 

With Tiffany’s face hidden on the crook of her friend’s face, she never wanted this moment to end…for she realized the biggest thing she has ever faced in her whole life. “I’m falling for you, TaeTae…” She mouthed, taking in her scent.

---

 

I'm so sorry.

*just drags my face on the ground*

Senior year coming in too.

Wow.

GOOD LUCK TO ME POSTING CHAPTERS ON TIME.