Breaking the Ice

Selective Mute

 

A/N: I was going to ask if anyone would like to be my beta? Not just someone who can point out grammatical erros but someone I'd like to discuss plots and everything with. :) 

And at some point, I will let you read some of my original work. I mean, not fanfiction. Actual stories that will be manuscripts for publication in the future. :) No pressure since I still working on my original stories. I just need some criticism. ^^ Please PM me if you want to be my beta friend!~

 

---

 

            “E-Err…” Taeyeon didn’t have the slightest idea on what to do now. After she showered and joined Tiffany on the sofa, they’ve just been sitting quietly. She would usually start doing something enjoyable for herself but tonight was different—she had a guest. And it’s going to be like this for a while.

 

“Do you want to eat some dinner?” She uttered, playing with a wet bundle of her hair.

 

Tiffany turned to her with a smile, politely accepting with a nod.

 

Taeyeon felt relief inside. Finally, she said something decent. She stood up and made her way to the kitchen but stopped, turning back to her friend. “Do you eat Naengmyun?” Tiffany stared at her for a few seconds before shaking her head with a silent giggle. “Kimchi?” She shook her head again.

 

The older girl scratched her head, not knowing what to prepare. But when she saw her bookshelf, she thought of an idea. Her body quickly made her way, finding a cookbook and giving it to Tiffany, hoping she’ll choose something she can make.

 

The mute girl flipped through the book slowly, looking at each of the titles and pictures.  

 

Taeyeon was surprised and devastated to see the girl in front of her to keep choosing dishes she didn’t know how to make.

 

She was about to go mad about how to feed Tiffany when she was taken aback to see her point at a few things at around the last pages.

 

Pizza. Fries. Hamburgers. Milkshakes.

 

All American dishes. And at each one, Tiffany kept smiling at and pointing at vigorously.

 

Taeyeon giggled. “You like American food?” Tiffany nodded ecstatically. Something in that made Taeyeon laugh and pat her head, which caused something in Tiffany to lift. She’s never received that gesture ever since she was a little kid.

 

The shorter girl stood up, heading over to the phone. “I’ll order pizza, okay?” Tiffany was still in denial of what Taeyeon did to her, so her attention was unfocused. “Tiffany?” She called out again.

 

The soundless person shook her head lightly, returning back to her senses.

 

“Is pizza okay?” Taeyeon repeated herself.

 

Tiffany just nodded with a small smile.

 

The shorter girl realized something was going on in the other person’s mind but chose to disregard it, as she wouldn’t know how Tiffany can even express what was wrong, so she just went ahead and grabbed the phone before dialing the only pizza place she knows.

 

While she ordered Tiffany was still just sitting down on the couch, letting her mind float. Right now, everything felt like a dream to her. She doesn’t have anyone that would verbally or physically abuse her anymore. She won’t have to feel like she’s invisible and doesn’t matter to anyone.

 

Being offered a home—even if it’s temporary, being fed her favorite food like it’s nothing, someone patting her head…never in her life has she experienced something like this.

 

And so, the one big question in her mind right now is: How long will this last?

 

“I just ordered pepperoni. Do you want anything else? How about a 4-cheese pizza too?” Taeyeon called all the way from across the room.

 

Tiffany’s eyes focused back to reality and looked at her savior with a sincere smile, showing a thumbs-up.

 

  Taeyeon chuckled lightly before turning back to the phone. “Yeah, she said she’d love a 4-cheese as well. Alright, thank you.” Placing the phone back on the base unit, she walked back to the couch. “They said it’ll be here 45 minutes or less.” Taeyeon smiled and started to sit down, but the phone rung. “Ah, excuse me.”

 

Quickly, she answered the phone, greeting the person on the other line. “Hello?”

 

“Hey buddy!” Her good friend, Yuri replied.

 

“Hi Yul. Why’d you call?”

 

“I know it’s late but liven up a little. It’s not like we’re in an apocalyptic wasteland.” Yuri joked. Taeyeon just let out a small chuckle before checking in on her friend on the couch. “I was calling to invite you for a drink. It’s Saturday tomorrow, anyways.”

 

Tiffany continued to sit back on the couch, not having any option to do something else. Her eyes roamed around with puffed cheeks, but that didn’t last since she easily bored from examining the surroundings for the nth time. However, when she met eyes with Taeyeon, her lips curved to a smile immediately.

 

“I can’t today, sorry.” Taeyeon mumbled, smiling back at Tiffany.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I have a friend staying over today.”

 

“Really? Is she cute?”

 

“Yea—Wait, why are you asking me that?!” The voice on the other side laughed hard at her friend’s response.

 

“Were you about to say yes, though?”

 

“…sh-shut up, Kwon.” Her face soon turned red at what was actually about to slip from . Yuri laughed even harder at the obvious answer to her question.

 

“So how’d you meet this girl?”

 

Taeyeon turned away from Tiffany’s sight, not wanting her to know that she was the topic of their conversation. “When I got home, she was crying in my doorstep, so I let her in. She didn’t have a place to stay either so I’m letting her sleep over here.”

 

“Wow~ Since when were you such a player, Kim?”

 

“It’s not like that.” The shorter girl sighed. “I just want to help her.”

 

“Help, as in…sleeping with her to let her forget her troubles?”

 

“Tch, I’m not like that, Yuri, I never am.” She sighed again. “She’s mute and came crying to my doorstep, why would I take advantage of her?”

 

“Gotcha.” Yuri chuckled. “When your friend is gone, give me a call so we can hang out.”

 

“Alright.”

 

“10,000 won says you’ll sleep with her sooner or later!”

 

Taeyeon was about to retort but her friend hung up before she could. Muttering angrily, she placed the phone back on the receiver and turned back to the person waiting on the couch. “Sorry about that.” She said with a light smile. “Some idiot was on the phone.” If only Tiffany knew how much of that sentence meant to Taeyeon right now.

 

Tiffany returned her remark with a silent laugh, making the person across the room to smile for real.

 

And finally, the doorbell rang.

 

“Oh, there’s our food.” Taeyeon hurriedly got out her wallet and went to answer the door.

 

As Taeyeon went to answer the door, the silent girl thought of a simple gesture. She stood up and walked to the kitchen, finding the plates and glasses before setting it on the living room’s table. Even though it might be a small task, it’s the least she can do as of the moment since her new friend already bought her dinner.

 

When the owner of the apartment came back with the two boxes of pizza, she was surprised to see the table already fixed. She turned to Tiffany, who was smiling brightly and was already walking towards her to help with the boxes. “You didn’t have to do that…” Taeyeon couldn’t say anything else as her lips formed a sheepish smile. But Tiffany just smiled at her and took the boxes, placing it on the table.

 

They both took their places around the table, sitting on the floor when Taeyeon opened the first box, revealing a tantalizing 4-cheese pizza. The Korean American clapped her hands in eagerness before reaching out for the first piece.

 

The person in front of her couldn’t help but smile. 

 

---

Sorry for the late update! ><