Date?

Selective Mute

 

 Taeyeon walked in her apartment with the couple behind her. She expected Tiffany to rush to her any moment now, preparing to receive the teasing from Yuri. “Fany-ah, I’m home!” She called.

 

 The sound of running feet suddenly came from the living room into the entrance hall of the apartment, revealing Tiffany with her usual bright eye smile. She quickly jumped on Taeyeon, hugging her tightly. The shorter girl forgot about her guests and hugged her back as tightly as she could, smiling as well.

 

“Aww! You guys are so sweet!!” Yuri’s voice squealed.

 

The unfamiliar voice startled the voiceless girl, pulling away from the heart-warming hug and hid behind her roommate with a confused expression as to who those two people are near the door.

 

Taeyeon turned to them, slightly disappointed that the hug ended early. “So you must be the one our Taeyeon has been talking about.” Jessica smiled at Tiffany as friendly as she could, but the mute gripped behind her friend’s back, feeling scared at the unrecognizable people.

 

“Don’t be scared, Mushroom.” The only person Tiffany trusts, said to her with a warm voice. “These are my friends, Jessica and Yuri.”

 

“Hi there.” Yuri smiled at her.

 

Tiffany slowly peeked at them as they were smiling and waving as if she was a little shy kid. “Guys, this is Tiffany.”

 

“Hi Tippany!” They both greeted.

 

The silent girl smiled widely, accepting the new acquaintances.

 

---

 

             The four of them sat around the table of the living room, with Yuri and Jessica on one side, and Taeyeon and Tiffany on the other. The Scrabble board game was laid out on the glass surface once again, just for Tiffany to be able to communicate.

 

“Finally, I’m face-to-face with Taengoo’s new girl—“ Before Yuri could finish her sentence, Taeyeon glared at her. The piercing stare made tallest girl realize to be careful with her words or she’ll be facing the middle of the road instead. “—new friend! I meant, new friend.” Yuri scratched the back of her head uncomfortably.

 

“Yeah. Tiffany, you know that Taeyeon over here barely makes any friends. If we didn’t keep bugging her, then we wouldn’t be here right now.” Jessica chuckled at the memory.

 

The mushroom looked at Taeyeon with a blank expression before she laughed at the truth Jessica revealed.

 

The shortest of them all blushed, sighing. “Uh-huh. You two were like annoying talking leeches. It just made sense for you guys to end up together as time passed.”

 

The voiceless girl was surprised at Taeyeon’s statement. She didn’t realize that they were a couple until the person beside her said so. After that sentence, she became unfocused at the discussion and stared at the duo in front of her. The thought of a relationship made her heart pound.

 

“I can’t ignore a beautiful person when she’s within my reach, can’t I?” Yuri grinned, reaching for her lover’s hand.

 

Tiffany stared at the simple loving gesture.

 

Jessica returned the reply with a cold stare. “And apparently, that’s also your motto whenever you’re in a bar.”

 

“That was before!” Yuri sighed. “You’re the only one for me, now, Sica.”

 

“Just make sure of that.”

 

“Of course I will. I won’t ever want to lose you.” The tallest moved behind Jessica, hugging her tightly as a form of a back-hug.

 

“Still a smooth talker, Kwon.” Taeyeon laughed.

 

The sight of seeing the two being intimate with each other made Tiffany uneasy. Something in her heart ached and wanted that kind of contact as well. She was jealous—jealous that she doesn’t receive that kind of treatment from Taeyeon.

 

So the voiceless girl crawled closer to the person beside her on her knees and moved in front of her. “Fany?” Taeyeon asked, confused at the person’s actions.

 

Tiffany plopped herself on Taeyeon’s lap and grabbed both of the girl’s arms, wrapping them around her waist. “Aigoo.” Taeyeon chuckled at the cute motion before complying with Tiffany’s request, tightening her hug.

 

The mute smiled happily, content with the position she’s in.

 

“Uh-oh, jealous type, Taengoo. You’re in trouble.” Jessica giggled, completely seeing the scene unfold before her.

 

“What do you mean, Sica?” Taeyeon stared at them in a confused state, still having the smiling Korean American on her lap.

 

Jessica simply laughed, leaning further into her lover’s embrace with a mischievous smile.

 

---

 

            Both hands of the clock struck upwards, signaling that they’re day can be officially called a lazy afternoon. Even if it was a day off for the shorter person, neither was spending their time with a smile on their face. Boredom filled the kid and mushroom’s apartment since it had not one interesting conversation or fun activity going on. The two were just sitting on the living room’s wooden floor, thinking of how this day can get any less productive.

 

Finally, silence was broken but Taeyeon’s sudden outburst. “Can ‘not’ and ‘boring’ be used in the same sentence today?” She followed with a groan and turned to Tiffany.

 

The person beside her silently giggled before shaking her head as a reply.

 

“Are you sure that you don’t want to do anything today?”

 

The mute girl stared at Taeyeon, thinking about something she’s thought about ever since a few days ago. But she considered that it was far too troublesome and turned her gaze to the ceiling. “Hmm? The shorter girl pushed herself up from the floor and tried to meet eyes with Tiffany once again but she kept avoiding.

 

Taeyeon instantly knew that something was on her mind. “What? C’mon, tell me. Whatever you’ll suggest, it’s better than lying down here for the rest of the day.”

 

Tiffany kept being persistent and shook her head, pretending that she had nothing to suggest.

 

“Fany-ah, please? I don’t wanna die here of boredom!” The older girl was very relentless to just get rid of this idle atmosphere. “Please. Please.” She poked and tickled the voiceless person next to her but didn’t give in to her command. Taeyeon just sighed and pulled Tiffany up, looking at her with puffed cheeks, saying, “See, I’m doing aegyo for you just to get out whatever’s on your mind.”

 

The silent girl eventually gave up after looking in the shorter person’s eyes and gave gestures that she’ll give in to her.

 

Tiffany breathed in and out, turning bashful with the thought she had in her head. Slowly, her hand lifted and pointed at the door with a bit of a smile and blush on her face.

 

“H-Huh?” Taeyeon looked back and forth at the door and her friend but she just couldn’t get what she was saying. The person in front of her just kept repeating her signal, and pointed even harsher at the door since she had no idea how else to elaborate what she wanted.

 

“I really don’t get what you’re trying to tell me, Mushroom.” She sighed.

 

The younger girl groaned silently in frustration and stood up to get the scrabble board. But Taeyeon just kept sitting in the same position, staring at the door, hoping that she’ll get her friend’s sign any second now.

 

Tiffany, on the other hand, rushed to find the 4 letters that could clearly explain what she wanted. But, as always, the scrabble board was a mess and she couldn’t find the exact letters quickly. “Door…” She heard Taeyeon mumble to herself. “What’s with the door? It leads to sunlight?” She shook her head at the short one’s idea.

 

D. A. T.

 

Just one more letter for her to find.

 

“Was I even looking at the same thing you were?” Taeyeon sighed. “Maybe—Oh! I get it! You wanna go outside!” She jumped up and went towards her friend. “Geez, I’m such an idiot. You just wanted us to go to the mall or somewhere to have fun, right?” Taeyeon smiled at her.

 

It wasn’t exactly what Tiffany wanted.

 

But she lost her courage to actually ask Taeyeon and her to have a date. She figured that there are more chances for such an event. So the mute pushed her feelings aside at the moment and just forced out a smile, nodding.

 

“Okay then, let’s go get ready!”

 

---

 

            A young girl stands in front of an entrance, enthralled by the scene before her of families spending time together, countless stores, and a slightly low volume of music. She was frozen with fascination that she wasn’t even thinking at the moment. All she was doing was taking in the moment of being at the so-called mall for the first time in years.

 

Once her mother was left to only remain in her heart, her father and older siblings started the abuse of her existence. She was told to never leave the premises of their household or great punishment will be given after.

 

Only now did Tiffany remember how a mall actually looked like. She didn’t have to stick with the vague memory of when she was a kid anymore. She has Taeyeon now.

 

“Fany-ah?” The older person called, shaking her arm. Tiffany snapped out of her nostalgic state and turned back to her friend. “Are you okay?”

 

How can she not be okay when she was completely enchanted by this moment?

 

A firm nod and bright smile was given as a reply.

 

“Alright then. I thought you didn’t want to be here.” Taeyeon chuckled and started to enter the mall.

 

Once she saw the shorter girl leaving her, Tiffany took a look around first, seeing a lot more people entering the place but something caught her eye the most—two hands being interlaced with each other among couples.

 

Jealousy filled her mind again and quickly ran to Taeyeon before she could lose sight of her. “Tiff—“ Before the person beside her could finish her words, she grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and intertwined their own fingers.

 

The older person looked down at the intimate action, taken aback completely surprised. Her cheeks gained a bright red color, suddenly shy with entering the mall like this. Even though she subconsciously likes it.

 

The person beside her though, couldn’t be anymore content with her life as of this moment.

 

---

 

I'm so sorry this took soooo long!

I've been very busy with school but now it's summer so just remind me in private message nicely and I'll update! 

I hope you guys enjoyed it!

To noodle-noodles, thank you. Don't ask why, just thank you. :)