Prologue: Qin Taeyeon

The Seventeenth Blood-Moon: Breaking Momentum

The prophecy hasn't shown itself yet. I have doubts, but being held under quarantine and the explosive protective urges I feel over my twin sister must be proof enough. I cannot get a grip when Wu Fan pushes his way about acknowledging our birthrights and knowing about our heritage. He is a good-intending soul, but Mi Young cannot handle any of that. She is my twin sister. Only thing I have in the world. This is why we are almost telepathic. Other than heightened physical senses and agility, we have no problem understanding each other. That might just be me.

"What do you think they meant by lockdown?" Mi Young weaves reeds between her fingers, sprawled out on her bed. I was born pretty. Mi Young was born the moon goddess. Her chambers have sort of become mine, because when the nightmares overcome, she finds me in the night and holds me. Or I hold my sister, because she has to bite into my shoulder. The marks heal much faster and I have become more susceptible to pain. She is the real princess. I guess I was born to be the male? I'm content with 'servant'.

"I think they meant we'll be locked up even more, if that's possible." I offer, and she frowns with my vague answer.

"There must be something about it." she ignores me. "Something they aren't telling us."

"Shouldn't Wu Fan know?" I fold my arms on the edge of her silken sheets.

"He doesn't know everything."

Mi Young is a curious spirit who is rash and hasty and very feeling-driven. I'm just here to guide her and hold her back long enough. In a second she makes it to the wall where her bow and quiver hangs from a nail. And then she remembers it's raining and her future mate Tao has decided not to do a thing. She frowns even deeper and moves back to me.

"I hate Tao." she informs me.

I stand and kiss her forehead, something she always resigns to. She sighs and lets me soothe her.

"Tao isn't being mean on purpose. He just doesn't see the need. I reckon he doesn't like the supernatural and immortal side of himself. That's why he almost always relies on his sword." I don't hold her, but we stand close enough so that she may place her chin on my shoulder. "You'll be forced to marry and mate in three weeks. Be more accepting."

"It's not me, it's him!" she indignantly raises her head and her nose scrunches upwards.

I let a smile slip into my features and tip up her chin. "He'll like you."

"He likes you, stupid." she jabs my stomach and runs. Runs as in, she's gone from my line of vision and is nearing the palace rooftops, getting closer to our electric boundaries that crackle like ozone in the air. No one knows if Wu Fan can manipulate electricity yet. This Tree of Life3 controls us without direct contact. It is a pure mystery.

At least she doesn't attempt to cross. She runs up the mountains and flies like the wind. She is the wind. She holds the air in her and she twists it and she lets the leaves fall during autumn beautifully and she is the breeze in spring. I can tell you now I am not envious of her. Our sisterly bond is deeper than such material waste.

I am the earth. Beneath me, the ground reaches forth in slabs of some concrete that catapults me forth. My feet land lightly on the grounds. Wu Fan never recommends this kind of free-spirited roaming. It is said it weakens the spirit and lets it be wild. Still I can see the flashes of white winding past the trees which sing louder in the evening sky. Colourful lights hang up in the sky like our own Aurora Borealis. That is what I think the Aurora Borealis is. The only thing we've had as parents or teachers was a library. Filled meters high with books like a labyrinth. Supposedly Wu Fan has read almost everything, and mysteriously, the ones on legends and swordplay have been stolen.

Without her chosen emblem or weapon, Mi Young is as skilful. Without her ivory bow and arrows, she isn't herself. She has more freedom and less defense. She also has more fear. I catch up to her pale skin in the crescent moon. We are free under this moon. And one day, we will see an eclipse.

Until then, we have to acknowledge what we are.

Growls, and we become the very things Wu Fan warns us against. Tao says Wu Fan's scared. Mi Young says it's only natural to be. I say why not? We're free.

Two white wolves nuzzle and paw at each others heads before contesting for the next doe we catch sight of.