They Did What?!

Let's Write the Night Away

What are they doing?!

Alas, I have chosen procrastination. Alright, then. Characters! Let's talk about. Characters. Now, it's obvious to say that "characters" aside from the plot itself, is a key to the story. 

Now, Characters are hard to come up with, really. Because everything has already been done. That's why we have archetypes. An archetype is somewhat you can call a stereotype. Rather more like a model for personality, behavior. For example, look at this character description.

Choi Gina

She pretty much runs A.C.E along with Junhyung, working in an office and helps keep things straight.

No one knows much about her, but people usually assume she was a sister of Junhyung's or something. otherwise, how else would he entrust her with the club? Though, it's not the truth. 
 
She was one of the few people who helped Junhyung whilest he was struggling to grasp onto reality. Though, it's not much of a road she would've liked to have gone down, she does it anyway. Just for Junhyung. She had gone independant since she was 15, and she has always been a neighbour for the boy. Gina is there for anyone who needs it, she listens and she'll comfort. 
 
I tired giving her a mother archetype. It doesn't necessarily mean she's a mother, but rather she has a traits of one. It's poorly shown, so I apologize but I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at. You can find archetypes in your life, your bestfriend, your parents, family, and even yourself. Nothing is original. Even Shaksphere isn't original. He based his work off reality, it didn't simply come off in the top of his head.
 

 
What Happened?
 
The past of a character is very important. It should contribute to the whole plot of the story, I mean; there's a reason why everything happens, right? Harry Potter isn't just trying to kill Voldemort just because, but because he realized Voldemort had killed his parents. It can be really hard to think of a characters background.
 
One thing that really helped me getting going with characters was rp-ing (Role playing). Not those general rps on tumblr like '____-anon' where you pretend to be the idol, but those rps where they actually had a plot. The background of a character will help with others whom you rp with, as well as yourself. You'll get a good idea of who your character is. Afterall, that's who you're trying to be.
 
An example of a background I placed for one of my characters from a while back. 
 
Bang Yongguk
Growing up, Yongguk had always been more attached to his father more than anything else. He would always watch intently to everything that he was doing, and like almost every other child, he placed his father as his idol. His mother never exactly approved, but Yongguk didn't mind that. All he really wanted to do was make his father proud by being almost exactly like him. When he was 12, he learned that his father was the founder and leader of Warrior. Yongguk was told that someday, he would take over his fathers' creation. He was trained from then on to be the perfect leader.  At the age of 15, he was sent off to Japan under custody of his mother after she filed for a divorce. Needless to say, he was reluctant towards it, but his mother didn't want their only child to be a mafia leader like his father. They moved to Toyko, in hopes to start a new life. However, Yongguk would never forget the reason of his existant. 
 
Turning 18, he returned to Seoul, searching for his father. When the news of the death of Warrior hit him, he was devastated. At first, he refused to believe and instead searched high and low for his father. It took a while to finally accept the fact that his father had died. Already left his mother, he attempted to continue living in Seoul, only by himself with no motivation to go on. By the age of 20, he realized how everyone around him seemed to be living in fear and became fed up how Matoki seemed to always taunt him unintentionally. Everywhere he went, he was reminded that his father was a failure in the world's eyes. It was time to take back the freedom that once belonged to everyone. As his father had said, he became the new leader of Warrior
 
I would say this is my usual amount to write a background. I have one that's alot longer, for a different character and a different plot. See, this was originally for an rp, but that rp closed down and so I used it for an original ff. 
 
Notice the details? It works alot better than just a personality (I don't actually have a personality to go with this Yongguk, but never mind that for now). From just that; we're able to learn that Yongguk adores his father, and we know how his mother feels about it. And in the present, he starts his father's creation once more, and that's when our story begins. It gives a jist of personality towards you, this is what made Yongguk to who he is "presently". He didn't simply come out of thin air and shouted "I WANT TO MAKE A MAFIA'. No. Sit down. It does raise the question though, of how Warrior had started in the first place. When it comes to the past of something, you need to take into mind that nothing really starts out of thin air. That inclusdes yourself. Like I've said before, try placing yourself in your characters shoes. You need to understand them and try to stick to what they've become. Know how they act when they're happy, know what makes them sad or angry, etc etc. 
 
Quite honestly, when I look around in aff, people seem to lack background. Could just be me, alot of people don't really mention their characters backgrounds. I really find it so much more enhancing when the author incorporates a past to the plot. It's not like when you look at someone you know their past right away, right?
 

Who are they?

Personalities. Try to avoid Mary Sue/Gary Stu. You know, those characters where they're 'nice, and everyone likes them'. Yeah, avoid those. Those people are boring.

Avoid making a god/dess as well. You know, those characters where everyone seems to like them and they're for some reason good at everything they do? They seem to have no flaw at all. Most people use an idol's name/face for a ff, and tend to throw away their real personality, and the new personality given are usually beyond cliché. Especially since I have a poor tendency to read stories related to gangs (don't judge, bro :C), people simply assume that a typical "bad boy who is actually part of a gang, but it's a really small one don't judge they do whatever they want" would still come to school, just to hit on a few girls, go partying at night, and annoy the main character, etc etc etc. 

What sort of peeves me is the way they simply assume being part of a gang is that easy LOL ./shot. Not saying that I know what really goes on, but I'm sure when someone thinks of gangs, they'll assume drugs and alcohol being involved. Not to mention, a gang usually isn't a 4-5 person thing, it should be a bit bigger, atleast twice as much. I understand the fact that they only do that because they either 1. can't think of another name for a gang or 2. they just don't want to break the group up. Afterall, it is a fanfiction.

But you could always break the group up and place them in opposing teams. The group is added in the story nonetheless, only they're not together. It's an AU afterall, play around with it. 

Anyway, as I was saying.

Avoid using such cliché type characters.  Personalities are hard to make as well. Try looking at people who are close to you for a reference, or even yourself. If you're making up the personality of an idol, use the real idol for example. Look at their documentaries, and what variety shows they've guested in, or their own shows. (ie; Mblaq's Idol Army, B.A.P's killing healing camp, Bigbang's documentary, YG TV, Hello Baby, Star King, Strong Heart, Running man, etc.)

For example; I tend to view Hyunseung of BEAST rather a lazy one if he hadn't been an idol. So for one of my apps to an rp, I placed

Hyunseung is usually an introvert and doesn't like to socialize. He comes off as someone who is just cold. He's rather dull, however is pretty laid back. Lazy indeed, as he probably wouldn't go out places unless his life depended on it, or unless there was food involved. Other wise, he'd advise you to just leave him alone.

At night, however, you can probably call him a social butterfly as he does a 180 turn on his personality, turning from someone dull into to someone full of life and playfulness. It's his job anyway, and it's the main reason why he hates to socialize, as he believes people are handfuls. There aren't alot of people that he's comfortable with, but that's okay to him. It's not that he has a hard time trusting people, it's just he believes that the human race is too much work to get along with.

It's not a very good description, that's a hands down LOL. I didn't actually have much of a background to give to him, though. Actually, there isn't even one, so. Yeah. Shame on me, but it was really only because he was a normal kid. 
 
Here's another exmaple; One of Bora. From what I've seen on Hello Baby (I never really finished watching it) when it was featuring SISTAR + LeeTeuk of Suju, I noticed that she was someone who was really happy and energetic. It's an mafia-related rp, so
 
Bora, is actually quite a bubbly one. No matter where she is, and no matter how heavy the atmosphere is, she always tries to do everything in her power to lighten it up. She doesn't take alot of things to the heart (She might not even be paying attention to you), and usually acts on impulse. That being said, she actually causes quite a bit of mischief on her free time, sort of a way to get her mind off of things as she doesn't welcome silence as much as others would.
 
The only time one can imagine her being serious is when she's on the job, as an assassin. Quite and agile, straight forward and would go as far as to risking her life just to get what she needs done. She knows that there is nothing left on this planet for her to live for anymore. However, the moment the deed is done, it's out the window and she's back to cracking corny jokes as if nothing has ever happened.
 
I gave her a typical tragic background, one that wasn't really that good but somehow long. To sum it all up, he father abused her and Bora did everything in her power to protect her mother (She's the only person she cares for). Her mother was then murdered by her father and she was sent off to live in foster families, though she had no motivation to go on. She later on met someone who brightened her days, and she soon forgot her past. It's a strange one, yes.
 
Quite honestly, I based this off my best friend. Not saying that all that tragity is based on her life, only the fact that her father doesn't do anything and that she loves her mother very dearly. Funny how one can manipulate, huh?
 

 
Relationships
 
We all have relationships, don't we? It can help build up character, the people around you affect who you are. Think of connections with your character, and they'll help you build off into the plot. It's a need in life for communication and socializing, so why deprive your character? I mean, they should atleast have a close friend or something, or someone they shared a past with, whether is be a significant other or not. 
 
Here's another example. Adding onto the past of the Bora I pasted above, I originally wanted a Hyorin to go along with her, someone that was of her past, and this was what I had in mind for the younger
 
Hyojung is like a distant memory to Bora. Somehow, she remembers Hyojung. Always seeing her in the dreams but she can't verify if she's real or not, yet she feels that she's real and not a made up imaginary friend. The dreams only happen once in the while, and everytime they happen she wakes up crying or sweating. Luckily they fade quickly away. Yet sometimes, the image of Hyojung stays on her mind. From her mind though, it seemed that the two were close, having known each other since born. Vaguely, she remembered Hyojung through Bora's hardtimes, the memories that were out slowly try to slip through. Though Bora tries her best to deny, she longs for the girl and sometimes her ears perk up when she hears someone say "Hyojung" hoping that maybe it'll be a Kim, but her hopes end up crushed. She wants Hyojung to give comfort to her, somehow. Tell her it'll be okay, and let Bora hug her tightly in silence. She's trying her best,  searching high and low, at the verge of giving up--
 
"Maybe she's just a figment of my mind afterall,"
 
If I could think of my original plot for them, which I can't :c, I would've made Hyojung change her name at some point to Hyorin. Because afterall, Hyojung is her real name. But I hope you understand how this character relates to Bora. She's significant to her, and Bora's on a quest to find her, but at the same time she doesn't really know who Hyojung is. Ironically enough, but it works. Or is that only me.
 
Along side, I also made a void spot for a competition towards Bora, though it's rather more playful.
Desciption being;
They’re always competing, whether it be who made the best cookies to who had hit the most targets. They’re always arguing non-stop trying to be better than the other. They don’t necessarily hate each other, but rather prove the other they’re better than they are in every single way. If only Bora wasn’t so competitive and everything she did, her time wouldn’t be wasted on such silly things.
 
Now, this would probably have less significance towards Bora (but it was only for fun and games when it came to RP), but if I were to use this for an actual plot, I would either say this person would be 1.Bora's sibling or 2. Bora's Best friend. Or maybe just a friend, I don't know, but something along the lines of that. Remember; if it's not significant, there's really no need to add it. 
 

Now, I would say that pretty much concludes it.

You need to understand your character and try to stick to what they've become and who they are. Know how they act when they're happy, know what makes them sad or angry, etc etc. In order to make a good character, you need to know every little detail of them. You know who you are, or atleast some sort of idea. What is their hobby? Do they have pets? Why or why not. Where do they live, where would they prefer to live, what kind of shelter do they have. Did they finish school, what education level do they have? The list can really go on. I personally store all the information in my head, which is a poor habit because I have horrible memory. Write them down, or make some sort of character form for yourself to fill out. Though, try to stick to relevance. 

Don't rush them either, take your time with them. They're your creation! Also, don't do those personality charts in the description of your ff. Just. Don't. Personality charts being, character's name, and who they are. Let the reader find who they are.