Short, Sweet, and Simple

Let's Write the Night Away

Titles

Now, the title, is something that should help catch the attention of a reader, and ironically enough, I named this chapter simple. However, make sure it's a good way of attracting readers, make sure it's not something that's in caps with more than one exclamation mark, alright. Or maybe even two exclamation mark, if you really want to be that bold, but don't exceed 3.

I'm sure you've heard alot of people say before, make the title something short, sweet and simple, as well as on topic. In my personal opinion, the ideal title should be around 5 or less words.

So, not something like;

'OH MY GOD, ______'s THE FATHER OF MY BABY?!'

or

'MY SCARY HOT GANGSTER BOYFRIEND'

...I really had to make those up on top of my head. I'm aleady bad at titling things, and well, this just killed everything.

As I was saying;

Use something short, sweet, and simple. Remember having it on the topic/theme of your story. Don't name a story 'Zamboni' and then have nothing to do with a zamboni at all. Along with that, a title should leave the reader curious enough to click it, or atleast read the description to see if they like it. So if you see something like;

MY BOYFRIEND, THE NERD, IS SECRETLY A HOT GANGSTER!!!!!!!111

Well, I hope you know what's wrong with that title. The title just gave away the whole story. Okay, the main character discovered their boyfriend is a hot gangster. Alright then. There's nothing really left for the reader to ponder about; you just told them straight up. Only a reader bored enough to read the story that have already been posted so many times on AFF would bother to click.

I'm sure something like; November Rain, would catch your attention. Because well, it caught mine (Yes, I am using the featured story for the example. Because well, it was the first thing I saw and I can't think of my own).

It made me think a bit as to what significance rain had in the story.  It must play a huge part in the story as the author even specify when the rain had fallen (I sort of feel like an English teacher). If I had seen something like this on a shelf of a book store of a library, I would most certainly pick it up and read the summary of it.

So try something different with your story title, instead of despribing the whole thing in your title, leave something for your readers to ponder about.

Also, there's a few more things you should keep in mind when titling your story.

  • Try not to put symbols, it makes your story look awfully unprofessional
  • Capitalizing is important. Not like, EVERY WORD. However, the beginning of every word, except for; the, a, and of, words like those (Exception being if they're the first word) 
  • No puncuation should be needed. So, try to re-frain from using exclamation/question marks.
  • Don't add faces/emoticons onto your titles. Like, really bro?