Plant a Few Seeds

Let's Write the Night Away

Grow Like a Flower

Finished Summer School. This calls for a celebration of absolutely nothing. Anyway, today we're going to be talking about plotting. There's not much I can tell you because...we ll..uhm i- there's not much to say. so. Mm.

 


What Exactly, is a Plot?

There's a fineline of difference between a story, and a plot, yet we all use story and plot rather interchangeably. Alot of people don't know the difference, and honestly if you don't, it's alright because I don't exactly either. I tried doing a little reasearch and they all confused me.

According to Aristotle, a plot is the revealing of a character via actions. Whereas a story, are just events happening in chronilogical order.

However, another site begged to differ saying that plot is your character's physical journey, while the story in the change of your character's emotional journey.

Bottom line: Let's not worry too much about what 'a' plot is. Let's just say it's the whole point of your story, which is usually is. What is a narrative without a plot? 

 


Where to find Plot

Honestly speaking, it's pretty hard finding inspiration to write a story, let alone a plot to start a story. So, if you really want to write a story, how exactly can you find a plot? Honestly, I don't talk to alot of writers-- so I can only give you one point of view. But hey, that's why there's more than one writing workship, am i right?

My recommendation is to let your imagination run wild, remain in solitude in order to find inspiration and go outside to find it. Wander around. This is what inspires me the most. It may differ for you. I'm not saying that if you remain alone, all the story ideas will come to you at once. Sometimes when I'm out with a few family and friends, I get inspired by them as well.

Usually though, when I'm alone I like to narrorate a story in my mind. Not to be some sort of dramatic or anything, but I really like doing it and sometimes I consider going home and typing whatever left of it i can remember. 

Ideas can come out of no where, really. I'm sure when you're showering, some sort of idea has popped into your mind. Observe the world around you, and it might just be the seed to your plot and watch it sprout.

Another few things that can really help: watch movies and read books. I'm not sure if some people would consider this a plagerizing or not, but sometimes after reading a fanfic I tend to find myself 're-writing' their story. Not word by word, of course. But sometimes, due to the fact that I don't like their main character, I either change it or add another character. Usually, due to the reason that there's another character to change the storyline, the original story is thrown off track. Or, if I like a concept, I take it and create something of my own. It's not just fanfics but movies, mangas, books and such. 

I don't rely on it much, so I only use them to make drabbles, as I said, I do this only so I can practice my writing.


 

Characters

Obviously, your story is going to be revolving around them. It's the key part to the plot, usually, anyway. In some cases, such as in Rush Hour (movie), I feel like it was based more on plot than on character. Whereas say, the movie Easy A, it was more based on Emma Stone's character. The whole reason why she was in the mess that she was.

Anyway, if you would like to know about characters, click here: Here 

 


Conflict and Sub-plot

Another key, are the conflicts. Obviously, what is a story without struggle of the characters? It could be conflict between character and themselves, character and friends/family, character and the rest of the world. 

Personally, I find myself with troubles most often when it comes to conflicts. 

Sub-plots, are something that could help contribute to the main plot/conflict, or they could be there as a side thing. Afterall, it's not like in our life time there aren't other struggles other than our one goal in life. 

In Ghost, a k-drama, all their sub-plots were related to their main plot. Or, in most cop HK dramas I've seen, their subplots usually don't relate to each other at all.

Conflict and sub-plots in other words, are simply the events in your story and how the affect your charactoer.

 


I would say that plotting is close to planning. I really don't have much to say. I may or may not add more later on but for now i shall pass out.

References:

  • I can’t figure out how to plot! | Cassandra Clare. (n.d.). Cassandra Clare | New York Times Bestselling Author of The Shadowhunter Chronicles. Retrieved July 24, 2013, from http://www.cassandraclare.com/faq/i-cant-figure-out-how-to-plot/
  • Masterson, L. (n.d.). Plotting Your Novel.Welcome to Writing-World.com!. Retrieved July 24, 2013, from http://www.writing-world.com/fiction/novelplot.shtml
  • Plot and Story. (n.d.). Englisches Seminar | Universität Freiburg. Retrieved July 24, 2013, from http://www2.anglistik.uni-freiburg.de/intranet/englishbasics/Plot01.htm
  • The Difference Between Plot and Story | LearningNerd. (n.d.). LearningNerd | On a mission to learn everything. Retrieved July 24, 2013, from http://www.learningnerd.com/the-difference-between-plot-and-story/
  • Tips for Writing a Novel: Know the Difference Between Plot and Story. (2013, March 6). udemy. Retrieved July 23, 2013, from https://www.udemy.com/blog/tips-for-writing-your-novel-difference-between-plot-and-story/