Easy on the Eyes!

Let's Write the Night Away

Easy on the Eyes, Appearence Matters!

Yeah, hi. Apologies for not updating in so long.

 

Appearence matters. No matter how much people tell you it doesn't, let me tell you; it does. It's what catches your attention (and the personality that makes you stay. You can even apply that to stories, it's the contents that makes you stay.) Ironically, I don't even have any decorations for this, but rather everything is just left blank. 

But you know it's true. Don't even deny it.

Of course something like this;

~*~*~*~*~WeLcOmE tO mY sToRy~*~*~*~*~

Is going to catch yours eyes because oh lawd it burns. Of course, that's just a quick example because it really hurts my soul doing that. It makes sense to do something like that to catch one's attention, but don't over do it. Please don't. Try making the colours match, in the least. Never use comic sans, dear lawd just don't.

~*~Welcome to My Story~*~

Or

Hello!

Get a background to match with it, because I guess you can probably say, it still clashes. The reason I'll assume it being; there's nothing else matching it. I don't actually do those, so I can't say I know exactly what I'm doing. All I really have to say is, if you're going to put a background to your text, atleast make it look nice and not make it burn. Seriously.

 


 

Another thing to catch a reader's attention with the appearence to have posters, and or a matching background. I'm not much of a graphic artist or anything myself, so I can't exactly tell you what to put on your poster to make it look nice. There are, however, a few tutorials all over AFF that shows you how. If your too lazy to check them out (but not lazy enough to not make your own poster), then I reckon you have;

  • Good typography (Make sure the fonts match the theme of your poster/story. NEVER use comic sans. It never really goes with anything imo. Don't abuse using text either,)
  • Good selected pictures (I mean, vectored out. My definition of vectoring is different from multiple people. It's really called selecting, but I use the vector tool to do it, hence why I call it vector. Make sure your selection image is not choppy, the edges are smooth. You can find tutorials on how to properly select.)
  • High quality photos (having low quality pictures would ruin it in general)
  • Make sure it's related to the story, as well as matches the theme of the story. 
  • Try not to overdo it, simplicity is best.

And that's all I can really give you. I've only made one or two posters so far in my life, and it's...just a photo I've got off of tumblr and slapped text on. So, I can't really tell you how to make one, but only a few pointers from what I've seen on AFF.

 


 

Also! Typography matters! You really don't see books (aside from children books, I guess) with cartoony or really fanct writing, am I right? It's part of apparence, I can't really say it has to match the theme, because...just no. But it really helps with reading if you had something like;

He quickly grabbed the paper off the table before she was able to swoop down the grab it. With a brow raised, he began to read it, the corner of his lips slowly curling into an evil smirk. "Give it back!" She shouted, quickly running to the other side of the table; where he was standing.

Rather than;

He quickly grabbed the paper off the table before she was able to swoop down the grab it. With a brow raised, he began to read it, the corner of his lips slowly curling into an evil smirk. "Give it back!" She shouted, quickly running to the other side of the table; where he was standing.

I changed the size to be bigger (Not so I could empathsize how much I dislike Comic Sans) so it was be more easy to see. Colour the font matters as well. I've seen someone give their story a size 20 blue comic sans. ...No.

 


 

Spacing your paragraps, is also another thing to be aware of. I know, it's alot of things to remember whilest trying to write something, but it'll really help. To be quite honest, I get really intimidated when I see a huge wall of text. I become discouraged to read the story, as my eyes will become lost easily. But when there's space between the paragraps, I feel like I can actually breathe, and more encouraged to read through the story.

For example; A wall of text;

 

"Don't," his voice was just above a whisper. As he was raising a hand to touch her face, she didn't dare slap it away. She was scared that she would cry. Already scared, that Jungwoo would leave. Her heart clentched and her tears finally clouded her eyes. "Mina, how could you?" He slowly brushed the hair out of her face. "You promised me. You and I. We'd get out of this together. We'd go all the way. Until the end." "And this is the end." She said as a tear escaped. His thumb brushes against it, away. "Please, Jung woo," her voice suddenly choked up. "Leave. For the sake of you and I, leave." Jungwoo took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. "For now," he muttered, pulling her close. "This isn't over between you and I. I'll give you space," He murmurs against her skin. "Don't think just because I leave now means it's over officially. It will never be over." She subconsiously grabbed onto the bottom of his dresshirt. Gripping ever so tightly, ruining the softness of it all. she sighed, a hitched breath as another tear escaped. 
 
That's actually a segment of a story that I'm writing, though never posting. LOL :C If it went on, all you'd really see is litterally a wall of text. Like; really. Who's speaking? It peeves me when I see someone shove dialogue into a whole paragraph. When it's a new person speaking, always start a new paragraph.
 
In comparasion to space between the paragraphs;
 
"Don't," his voice was just above a whisper. As he was raising a hand to touch her face, she didn't dare slap it away. She was scared that she would cry. Already scared, that Jungwoo would leave. Her heart clentched and her tears finally clouded her eyes. "Mina, how could you?" He slowly brushed the hair out of her face. "You promised me. You and I. We'd get out of this together. We'd go all the way. Until the end."
 
"And this is the end." She said as a tear escaped. His thumb brushes against it, away. "Please, Jung woo," her voice suddenly choked up. "Leave. For the sake of you and I, leave."
 
Jungwoo took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. "For now," he muttered, pulling her close. "This isn't over between you and I. I'll give you space," He murmurs against her skin. "Don't think just because I leave now means it's over officially. It will never be over." She subconsiously grabbed onto the bottom of his dresshirt. Gripping ever so tightly, ruining the softness of it all. she sighed, a hitched breath as another tear escaped. 
 
You can see it so much neater than if there were no spaces at all between paragraphs. I feel that it gives more circulation for the story. You can see who's talking and it's much more easier on the eyes. In my opinion, I think you'll less likely get lost.
 
And I believe that's it. I actully can't really remember what I was originally suppose to write, I'm just doing this as I go. But yeah. Appearence matters!