First Day Surprise

Lovely Wager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3p4AAga4b8

All three of us gazed down at our transcripts and realized none of our classes were even in the same hall. As if the first day at the top school in the country wasnt hard enough. We looked at each other nervously searching each others faces for signs of , there wasn't a possible way we could get a schedule change on the first day. Realizing there was nothing we could go we each slowly made our way to our classrooms, looking back at each other after every third step or so until we were no where in each others line of sight

I was completely alone, something I have feared but had my whole life. We made it a point to not have anything to do with these people, which made it even harder not to scream in agony at their stupidity. The only thing that kept me somewhat sane is my music. Every break i would pull out my mp3 and imagine the type of dance moves for each song. Every jump, turn, twist all perfectly organized to tell a story, that’s what made dance so special. Each move, had a meaning, and a story behind it. This, beside my friends, was the only thing that is keeping me smiling.

Even though I was lost in my own world, these people would not give up. They would always tap my shoulder and try to make conversation. Most of it was questions about being poor because they all knew that i was a scholarship student, that my teacher so kindly mentioned to the class.

They are ignorant, nothing but spoiled rich kids, they get everything while we suffer from the bottom of the food chain. Even at our old school the kids who lied, cheated, did drugs, they got everything handed to them on a silver platter while we were struggling just to make it through the year. I really don't mean to sound bitter, but the world is really cruel, and even though I almost always have a smile on my face, that doesn't mean that I was happy at all.

Even though I share the same outlook on these people as my friend, i don't respond the same. Knowing Mi Cha, she has probably made enemies with everyone in her class, including her teacher. Yun Hee, is probably taking pictures of everyone in her class calling them a “unknown species” so she has probably made some enemies. Me, I’m not that cleaver or have a big mouth, I just smile and ignore them. That wouldn't get me many enemies,not that I would want any, but it would get the message that I didn't want to talk.

Soon my isolated suffering came to a halt because it was finally time for lunch. We all met up in the grand hallway then traveled outside to try to find some place where we could be alone.

MI CHA P.O.V:

It was hard to leave them, it was hard watching us go our separate was, but this is the only thing we can do. It’s hard to admit but getting into this school is truly a blessing. It is a known fact that anyone who graduates here is destined to be successful in the future. Even though this is hell on Earth, we all need to be here. Singing on the street corner is not enough anymore. So if helping the people I care about means I have to go through this, I’ll do it. And I’ll kill anyone that gets in my way.

My classes: Entertaining, surprisingly. It was a lot easier to make enemies than I thought.

My teacher: the laziest being on this planet, failed to grab the concept that I don't like being touched no matter how many devil eyes I gave him. By the third time I just flat out kicked him in his shins, which is me going easy on him. So yeah I have Saturday detention. Not for kick my teacher, but for every other rule I could have possibly broken in the short twenty minutes I was there.

Normal people would be pretty upset, but me, I’m happy, I just set a new record for myself. There is no way Yun Hee could have topped what I have accomplished. Each year we have a contest to see who can get the most people to hate them in the shortest amount of time. Bae Sun never wins because she it is practically impossible for her to be mean to anyone, but she always boast about how she is finally going to slaughter us this year, so only Yun Hee and me participate. What we have on the line this year: two weeks of taking the winners shift dueing work, WITH NO PAY, so I WILL NOT LOSE.

I was having too much fun getting people to hate me I almost forgot that it was a contest. I enjoyed the glares, snorts,and whispers, that made thing more fun for me. At first they stared in pure bewilderment that someone like me could possibly be accepted. They knew I was a scholarship student but they couldn't dream of what my talent was. I can imagine the whispers now “How could SHE,have a voice like THAT?!?” “She doesn't deserve to have that voice”. That was the usual response when people hear me sing, or that I was a singer.

I’m surprised though, of all the things they used to try to annoy me, the didn't even bring up the fact that I was raised American. That's usually what I’ve been picked on before. I mean it’s not that hard to tell. I was born and raised in America until I was ten and then I moved to Korea. When I started school, my pronunciation of things wasn't right and I couldn't read or write in Korean. So I was usually called stupid, and that no one wanted a mutt . Though as the years progressed, my knowledge of Korea increased and the amount of s I gave, decreased.

I guess that’s why they haven't noticed? Or are they just dumb? I guess I shouldn't worry. The only I thing I should worry about is what I’m going to do for two weeks after I’ve destroyed Yun Hee.

YUN HEE P.O.V:

When I entered my class, camera in hand, I could actually feel my brain cells decreasing. They call this the honors class? Their stupidity was hard to ignore that's for sure. It was like, air born, which reminded me to bring a gas mask tomorrow. Even the work the teacher gave me was things that I taught myself in seventh grade! Basically I had a headache all day because of these people

The look on their face though, when I would take a random picture during break and say “LOOK AT THIS UNKNOWN SPECIMEN IT LOOKS DANGEROUS BUT ITS BRAIN CAPACITY PROVES OTHERWISE. Must. Not. Make. Sudden. Movements”, was absolutely PRICELESS. Doing this for about a hour or so must have gotten me few enemies, but having known Mi Cha all these years, I knew I had to kick it up a notch.

The next hour at break I would use big words when talking to someone and when I had to answer a question. Majority of it had nothing to do with the topic but the look of pure confusion on every’s face just encouraged me to do more.

During class whenever I would be picked to answer something, I would just randomly start speaking different languages. I went from French, Spanish, English to Pig-Latin so i earned myself a FREE Saturday detention for disrupting the class. it Mi Cha.

I walk out of the classroom, pleased with the chaos I have created and practically danced my way to the main hall to meet my friends.There is NO way she could have beaten me.

It was ridiculous to wait in huge line to buy overpriced food in the smallest of portions, so we take that time to find a quiet place to be away from everyone. We end up walking all the way to a garden in the courtyard. Since it was still technically summer and still very hot, there were hardly any people.

Me and Mi Cha break out our bento’s while Bae Sun just begins nibbling on a half eaten cracker.

“Yah! Ho Bae Sun, why aren’t you eating?!” Mi Cha says in between chunks Yakitori.

“Ummm… I ate a big breakfast so I’m not that hungry.” she mumbles innocently. Strange, she hasn't eaten breakfast since the forth grade…

“That’s still no excuse, here have some rice.” she says scooping up rice with her hand and placing it in her’s. She looks a bit disgusted but she knew there was no point in arguing so she would just peak at it now and then.

Unlike our morning our lunch was quite entertaining. I was filled mindless small talk and the cheesiest of jokes (provided by Bae of course) and if it wasn’t for the fact that we were all wear _____ uniforms, we probably would have forgotten we were even there. Of course our fun had to come to an end. The bell that was suppose to release us to our prisons again finally rang and without even considering the time, we slowly packed up our things and made our way back inside.

BAE SUN P.O.V

Great I’m late, on my first day too… Trying to be as inconspicuous as possibly I walk slowly into my class trying to get to my desk unnoticed.

“You’re late…” my teacher said without turning his head

“I’m sorry I got lost” I mutter softly

“Sit” he says simply still not meeting my eyes.

I bow slowly and hurry down the isle to my desk. Little did I know that someone had decided to use the EXACT isle I was running through to use as a foot rest. With a loud thud I tripped over whoever’s foot that was and banged my head hard on the floor. The next thing I knew there was a sea of laughter flooding the whole room. I knew something like this was going to happen but I didn’t think it would be so soon. Feeling utterly embarrassed I limp back to my desk. It took them, at least, ten minutes, including the teacher to settle down, and for the rest of the day I kept my head down and did not say a word.

On my way out I tried my best to hide my limp because God knows that if Mi Cha and Yun Hee find out, all hell will break loose. I didn’t have to fake everything, because the smile on my face when I saw them was actually genuine. They were good friends and no matter how bad my day was I could always look forward to the end of the day to spend with my friends. And today would be the best, just like every year after the first day of school we would spend the night at someone’s house and brag about the chaos we they created. It always made me laugh at all the stupid things they could do in just a short amount of time. Yun Hee and Mi Cha had huge smiles on their faces that obviously meant they did some stupid crap today.

At the bus stop and on the bus stop those two just had the whole ‘I’m gonna win’ look on their face. And when they have that look, you can’t help but laugh. And when I laugh, everyone for e laughs, cause I have been known to have a cackle that sounds oddly familiar to a witch having with a dolphin…….

Honestly that short bus ride made my whole day better even the thought of going to work for six hours was bringing a smile to my face. I was literally dancing to the restaurant, which made the girls laugh even harder as they tried to keep up with me.

We burst through the nearly deserted restaurant breathless and still laughing. Which earned us some devil stares from a crabby elderly couple we bow apologetically and run to the back to put on our smocks and get to work.

“Can you two actually try to act NORMAL” says the manager with a serious face. All three of us look at him for a few seconds and then bust out laughing at the craziness of his question. Us. NORMAL? That's like asking us to stop breathing!

Yun Hee goes back outside to start changing the chalkboard outside with our specials on it while Mi Cha like usual goes to the back and listens to her music while she “cleans the tables”. Unlike them I actually work. I skip happily to the elderly couple that was shooting daggers at us earlier and give them a big smile

“Annyeonghaseyo!” I say bowing. They reply with a grunt, which is strange cause no one can refuse my aegyo…

“Do you need anything else?” I say batting my eyes

“No we’re fine” the lady says as kindly as possible to just get rid of me. Defeated i walk away to go sit at the “table of shame” with Mi Cha who was still “refilling the salt container” one grain of salt at a time.

“hump” I say sighing defeated “you can get them all to love you kid” she says laughing at my petty problems. Completely bored we both just sit here and stare. Since they were our only customers and needed NO help whatsoever we practically ha nothing to do till they left. Eventually YunHee came back inside and tried braking the couple but like me she failed. In the end we were all seated at that little booth together. MiCha procrastinating with her music, me coming up with a scheme to get those people to like me even if it killed me, and YunHee, being YunHee. “Like this yo, like this” MiCha sings to herself. “Oh god not hat song anything but that song….” I say “She always picks the most annoying songs to sing!..” YunHee grumbles to herself. We both lay our heads down trying to block out her singing that song that was just about as catchy as a rash. Soon that same stupid, simple beat was implanted in my brain. “Come on baby come on, feel it baby feel it, go on baby go on” I start mumbling to myself tapping my feet to the beat.

“Nononono I am not getting into this again.” I say leaving the booth to try to get away from the noise.

“LIKE THIS YOOOOO LIKE THIS!” MiCha yells getting mine and the elderly couples attention. She knew very ell how much i hated this song and found this moment to be the PERFECT MOMENT to annoy me. But i had other things in mind.

I turn back to face her and start shuffling my feet towards her to the beat that was playing in my head. Soon my arms started popping to the same beat. This made MiCha and the couple look pretty confused to what i was doing. Even with all my jazz moves MiCha would still not stop singing that stupid song.

“Like this yo Like this. Wii araero heundeureo Like this. Like this yo Like this. Momeul dollyeo jwahuro Like this. Like this yo Like this. Padocheoreom naeryeoga Like this. Like this yo Like this. Dagachi Stop ja heundeureobwah”

To keep there eyes on me i would do a grande batmah that lead me to my mixture of pirouette and T turns. Before i knew it i was back at the booth. Before i had time to catch my balance i jump on the table waking YunHee from her nap. I do one last pirouette before I start my tapping. My shoes weren’t normal tap shoes but they did make a sound that made it sound like I was tapping

“Oooo i am not missing this.” YunHee says getting out her camera immediately going into photographer mode talking multiple pictures of me and MiCha doing our thing. The song was coming to and end and so was my finale. While MiCha was hitting her final note I take one strong leap off the table into a perfect split on the floor.

The couple’s frozen faces made them seem appalled or shocked at the event that happened right in front of them. My smile soon faded when I saw how horrified they looked, not even a ounce of happiness.

All three of us start to go back to the “table of shame” when we hear soft clapping coming from behind us. The elderly couple oozing with excitement ran, er walked somewhat quickly over to us. Each one of them took turns shaking our hands violently still with their big smiles on their faces. Once they all finished the ahjumma went back to her table to go get her purse for some odd reason, while the husband stayed smiling at us.

“That was the best performance I have ever seen, I never would have guessed a mediocre place like this could have such talent.” he says gesturing towards us. The ahjumma came back holding out wads of cash.

“Money for you. Money for you. And money for you!” she says handing each of us a equal amount of cash. We were all shocked to believe a someone we barley knew would give us this much money, but I didn't care much CAUSE I FINALLY GOT THEM TO LIKE ME! Neither of us said anything, cause again we were too shocked for words to be said so we all just bowed thankfully while they left the store chatting about “such wonderful girls” they just saw.