Goodbye For Now...

Seven Days

After much vehement protest from his former swim team members, Kai is still fully dressed and sitting with his elbows on his knees on the familiar metal bench. He’s laughing with the members waiting for their turn as he spots his boyfriend getting into position. Kyungsoo takes a few deep breaths, feeling jittery on the platform. Kyungsoo...? His eyes are filled with worry as he sees him shift uncomfortably.

The whistle blows and he notices Kyungsoo starting just a tad too late. His are messy and uncoordinated as he fumbles through the water, finishing far behind the other members. The rest of practice progresses in the same way and the other members are uneasy, noticing Kyungsoo’s subpar performance, as they’re heading off to the locker rooms.

In the locker room, Kai’s leaning against the smooth white wall as he stares at his sunbae with a blank expression. Not wanting the other members to bother him, he pulls out his earbuds and sticks them into his ears but no sound escapes them.

Only a couple members are lingering when he pulls out his earbuds and calls, “Who’s in charge of locking up today?”

“Oh, I am,” Chen answers from a few feet away as he pulls his shirt over his head.

“I want to talk to Kyungsoo for a while. Is it okay if I use this place?”

With a suspicious glance at his friend, Chen pulls out the small key ring and hands it to Kai. “I’ll leave it to you, then.”

Kyungsoo goes about his business, ignoring the situation. On their way out, the other members start whispering amongst themselves.

“Calling him out like that... I wonder what it’s about?”
“Wouldn’t it be a scolding? That guy had a hard time today.”

Kai hits them playfully on the heads with his fist. “Don’t read too much into it.”

 

They’re alone now, the air smelling faintly of chlorine and soap. A tangible silence passes over them as they’re both standing but facing different directions.

“What happened?” Kai finally asks. “Today you were all over the place. I’m worried.”

Noticing the silence, he looks over at his sunbae to find him still staring in the other direction, unmoving. He suddenly realizes what day it is. He’s... kind of distant? Perhaps this... this could be the break up already... His eyes shoot to the analog clock ticking on the wall. It’s almost 5...

He recalls his friends’ words and his heart throbs painfully, knots winding themselves in his stomach queasily.

At the end of the week, he’ll tell his partner exactly this: I couldn’t fall in love with you. Let’s break up.

I couldn’t fall in love with you... so harsh... he thinks solemnly, a cold sweat starting to prickle his body.

“I should be all over the place...” Kyungsoo breaks the silence quietly. “I wasn’t thinking about swimming at all. My head was full of other things.”

Kai skims through his memory trying to think of what could possibly be bothering Kyungsoo. Again, he could only come up with one person who could make him feel this way.

“That person... did something happen with Luhan?” he mutters softly.

“Why are you bringing up Luhan?” he inquires, confused about how the two things were related in any way.

“Why? The pattern until now...”

Kyungsoo approaches the younger boy now with firm steps. “When did I ever think about Luhan when I’m with you?”

“..Kyungsoo..?”

The other boy looks away, an unreadable expression on his face. “Why don’t we leave this place? I have something I want to tell you properly.”

He realizes that the break up is coming and tries to prepare himself for it but the various emotions he’s feeling keep interrupting his thoughts.

Kai grasps the side of the bridge upon which they shared their first kiss and reminisces about it briefly. Is he always so formal whenever he breaks up...? He lets his thoughts drown out the world, a dark atmosphere between them.

“Kai?”

“Uwaah!” Shaken, he tries to calm his rapidly beating heart. “I--I was distracted.”

Kyungsoo lets out a gentle chuckle and his face is suddenly soft but it’s gone in a flash. He looks up into his boyfriend’s eyes, his face hard and incomprehensible now.

“Tomorrow... From tomorrow on, I still want to go home together with you, Kai... go out occasionally... just once in a while is fine. I--”

“That--” he interrupts rigidly. “is troublesome.” Kyungsoo’s hurt is apparent on his face as he listens to him continue, “I’m not willing to have that sort of compromise with you.”

Sadness and pain are coloring the older boy as he thinks of how Kai had ruthlessly ripped up the movie passes. “Then yesterday... also had that meaning...”

It ends today. One week.

“...What time?” Kai’s expression is tense. “What time will my one week with you end?”

His heart is constricting itself painfully in his chest, the palpitations sending more waves of distress and hurt through him as he responds with a sad smile. “...Whenever you decide is fine.”

The younger boy pulls out his cell phone and looks at the time. 17:59. “Then, since it’s a good time, how about 6?” Kyungsoo clenches his fist tightly, not wanting the minute to pass. “‘I couldn’t fall in love with you. Let’s break up.’”

18:00.

“Well, I’m glad you didn’t say that,” He sighs with a tender smile. “Go out with me, Kyungsoo.”

 

A moment passes before Kyungsoo can think again. “Jus-- just wait a minute! Er, um... eh?!”

“Because I love you, Kyungsoo. When next week comes around, I don’t want to go back to merely being sunbae and hoobae.” They’re looking into each other’s eyes as Kyungsoo’s face starts to heat up from the surprise and embarrassment.

“...That’s... so cunning, Kai...”

Kai closes the distance between them and only a few inches remain when he strongly states, “Cunning? If I behave properly until Monday then those people waiting would put me at a disadvantage.” His tone changes to one that is softer. “I... don’t want some other person to be chosen by you.”

Kyungsoo isn’t sure what to think but his thoughts are muddled, his mouth won’t utter a coherent word, and his eyes are wide in shock. Kai continues, “And none of this ‘weekly lover’ game of make-believe either. I want to go out with you properly. I’ll... wait for your reply but if you go out with someone else before giving me an answer...” Suddenly embarrassed, the younger boy looks away with a deep red blush on his face.

Finally summoning the energy to react, Kyungsoo pulls him into a tight embrace, his face buried in Kai’s neck. “...Really cunning... I have something I’ve wanted to say so much... but the whole time I could never say it...”

He can smell the older boy’s shampoo, a light and fragrant scent in his nostrils and it’s soothing. His heart is palpitating oddly but it’s overflowing with something warm and sweet. “...What is it...?” he whispers huskily. His embrace tightening ever so slightly.

“I love you. Kai... I love you.”

The younger boy’s ears are burning now as he realizes the misunderstanding they’ve had this whole time. “Se--serious?!”

“Listen, okay? I said it.”

Kai pulls away suddenly with a hard expression on his face. “More than Luhan?”

Everything pops into place for Kyungsoo then. The reason why Kai was upset when he got the phone call, why he didn’t want to come to his house, everything. He lets out a huge sigh and drops his head. He balls his hand up into a fist and taps Kai’s head with it.

“Again, just what does Luhan have to do with this?” He lets out another sigh, his face in a tender expression. “Really, you’re too thick-headed.” His fingers find themselves just behind Kai’s ear and his thumb grazes the smooth skin.

“Kai, I love you more than Luhan, more than anyone,” he whispers.

Embarrassed by the misunderstanding, Kai brings a hand up to cover one side of his face. “How can such a happy turn of events... all along, I...” His thoughts are interrupted as Kyungsoo pulls it away gently and places it on his own face, leaning in to mingle their breaths together.

Their lips meet then, in the same place they had shared their first kiss. Their hearts are on the same wavelength at last. Preciously but passionately kissing each other, over and over again.

 

 

⥈⥈⥈


“Have you seen Kyungsoo-sunbaenim anywhere?”
“Nope, I’ve been trying to look for him too!”
“Yeah everyone wants to exchange phone numbers with him since he’s graduating but he says he doesn’t want to upset the person he’s dating so he just says ‘sorry’.”
“Ahh~! How frustratingly cool!”

“No! You’re doing it wrong!” Kai shouts, frustration and annoyance building. “You do it like this! What are we going to do if you waste the last one?!”

“Relax, we can always do it again, Kai...” Kyungsoo replies, shifting the camera to take a selca of them together. He adjusts the flower in his suit pocket methodically. Kai inspects it with eyes squinted in jealousy and suspicion.

“Where’d you get the flower?”

“Sehun gave it to me this morning for the graduation ceremony,” Kyungsoo answers jubilantly, his eyes smiling.

Kai puffs his cheeks and pouts cutely before attacking his boyfriend with a quick peck on the cheek. “Don’t cheat on me.”  They laugh and share a gentle kiss for their future because...

Once more, walking with you, a new week begins...

 

________________________________________________________

Note:

Yay!! The fluff!! 

Gosh, this chapter was difficult to write... sorry about the cruddiness... Actually, sorry about the entire story's cruddy writing...

Thank you everyone who commented, subscribed, and read this! This was just something that I wanted to do to pass the time this week because I sprained my ankle and couldn't walk anywhere or leave the house... I also wanted to promote Venio Tachibana's Seven Days (IT IS AMAZING SAUCE!!)

Clarification: When Kai ripped up the movie pass in Chapter 10 (Saturday Part Three) he did so because he viewed them as something Kyungsoo would be doing with someone else. It wasn't their break up. “I... don’t want some other person to be chosen by you.” 

I started another Kaisoo fic because I won't be healed for another two weeks... this time it'll be a mixture of angst and fluff but no major character deaths! Yay! (funny how everyone was asking for more fluff when the angsty parts came and when the fluffy parts came they were asking for more angst lolol) You can find it here: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/248291