Monday

Seven Days

He's gazing out of the classroom window, the wispy flecks of dust and fluff are swirling through the air. They dance happily, playing with each other without a care in the world until the sticky glass interferes and they’re suddenly trapped. He’s twirling his pencil, the shiny exterior sliding easily through his lithe fingers. He’s trying to tune out the drone of the professor at the front of the room with little success, eyes half-lidded and drowsy. Some passing girls are waving excitedly at him now from below, their faces heavily-caked with makeup. He quickly glances around behind him, making sure that he is indeed the person they’re waving at, and manages to plaster a fake smile on his face as he waves back. They squeal and giggle joyously as they skip away across the courtyard and he yawns.

In his distraction, he loses sight of the world just long enough for a solid object to blast itself through the air and come into sharp contact with the back of his head. The pain was dull despite the ear-splitting sound the collision created but he still lets out a sound of protest.

“Ow! What the heck!” he whines as he turns to the owner of the book that just collided with his head. He rubs the wound tenderly and feigns injury, hoping to garner some sympathy from his assailant. Students are shuffling out of the classroom now, books and papers rustling as they get tossed inside of overstuffed bookbags and backpacks. Murmurs hum in the air, filled with gossip, plans, and mindless chatter.

“It’s because you’re like that that your girlfriends are always dumping you, Kai!” Baekhyun reprimands harshly. Even though they’ve been friends for several years, he’s not about to let Kai get away with his sub-par manners. “You better be careful or your current one will dump you too.”

Kai sneers, taking in the scolding like he always does. “Too late. She dumped me yesterday.” Noticing the surprised look on his friend’s face, he attempts to elaborate, “She said that I’m not the person she thought I was. It’s her fault for assuming anyway. That’s the way it always is. They confess to me first and are disappointed in the end.”

Baekhyun sighs, knowing all too well Kai’s situation with his girlfriends. It’s the same story every time and he’s starting to think that maybe it’s Kai’s own fault for all of his random break-ups. “You can’t completely blame them either. There’s just a huge gap between your personality and your appearance. It’s practically a scam. How should I say this? Even though I know how you really are inside, I still catch myself thinking that you’ve got a handsome face and you give off the air of being stoic, especially when you’re swimming.”

Kai takes this in for a moment and laughs. “If only I could find someone as realistic as you!” he says, grinning widely as he moves to his next class with Baekhyun, joining the mobs and hordes of students moving classrooms too.

“How about it then? Want to try going out with me?” Baekhyun makes his best seductive face, oozing cool and handsome as he winks enticingly at his friend.

“Sure.”

At the nonchalant and uncaring response, Baekhyun whacks his friend on the head again with his book out of instinct. The old annoyance at Kai is starting to bubble up to the surface again and he’s not afraid to unleash it whenever he deems necessary. “You idiot! Don’t just respond immediately like that without any thought! Your impulsiveness is also what drives those girls away!” Kai rubs his injury slowly, thinking the same things he always does when Baekhyun scolds him about girls and laughs cheerfully again.

The enormous lecture hall is buzzing with voices as they wait for class to begin. Students are filling in the rowed and tiered aisles, arranging themselves closely despite the classroom’s size. Clumps of people pop up from all areas of the room like chocolate chips peeping out of a cookie. A familiar face enters the vast room and searches a bit, looking for some acquaintances before spotting them in the middle-back of the room.

“Hey! How are you guys doing?” Suho greets, his voice as cheerful and full of life as always. He’s smiling brilliantly at his friends, his face glowing vibrantly. He plops his belongings down next to Baekhyun on the polished cedar tables. “Wanna come to my house today? I got this new video game but it’s boring playing by myself.”

Baekhyun’s ears perk up from excitement and he’s been waiting for this moment since they all went to the video game store together last week. “Is it Cooking Mama?!” he exclaims excitedly, his blood rushing with enthusiasm.

Kai, uninterested in the heated conversation that his friends are having about the clear-eyed cartoon woman, looks around the hall of milling people and decides to eavesdrop on the especially perky girls sitting in front of him.

“Hey, I haven’t seen Kyungsoo yet today.”
“Maybe he’s sick?”
“But today’s Monday! Man, if I wasn’t failing this class I’d go and look for him right now.”
“We can try again next week.”

“Don’t you know Kyungsoo, Kai?”

Kai flinches, nearly slipping off of the plastic swivel chair from the surprise of seeing Suho and Baekhyun speaking right next to his ear, also staring at the girls in front of them. “Don’t just sneak up on me like that!” He rubs his ear gingerly and pouts, annoyed and slightly embarrassed at being caught off-guard. “Yeah, we’re more like acquaintances. He was my sunbae in the swim team before I quit.”

“Ahh, I keep on forgetting that you used to swim. Before you quit did you hear any weird things about him?” Confused at what Suho is really trying to get at, Kai squints his eyes and shakes his head, signaling for his friend to continue. “Well apparently he plays this ‘weekly girlfriend’ game.”

Kai glances back at the gossiping girls in front of him as they’re applying their mascara and eyeliner. He stares at the back of their coiffed heads as if they could magically know what he is thinking and telepathically answer all of his unspoken questions for him.

Suho, noticing that he’s piqued his friend’s curiosity decides to indulge him a bit more. “He’s immensely popular with all of the girls because of his good looks. At the beginning of each week, he’ll definitely go out with whoever asks him out first. At the end of the week he tells them--”

“I couldn’t fall in love with you. Let’s break up.”

Kai and Suho stare at Baekhyun, their mind’s fumbling through questions and assumptions as if the cogs in their minds had stopped working because of an unexpected jam. As if reading their minds, Baekhyun puts up a peace sign and responds with an ear-to-ear grin, “Yuuup. I went out with him for exactly a week back in May.”

“Why do you look so proud of yourself when you knew that and got dumped?” Kai grimaces, not quite understanding Baekhyun’s motives. Why would you go out with someone if you knew you were going to get dumped in the end? Isn’t that the same as playing a useless game where you know you’ll lose in the end?

“‘Cuz I felt like I hit the jackpot when he said yes. He’s a good person!” his friend replies happily, trying to justify the incident. Kai’s frown deepens and the corners of his luscious lips look like they’re going to rip themselves off of his beautiful face from the strain. “The reason why Kyungsoo’s popularity doesn’t drop even though he plays the weekly girlfriend game is because he sincerely does whatever his girlfriend wants in that one week.”

Kai pauses, trying to work through the information in his brain and failing. Exasperated and already tired from his drone of a professor that morning, he begins to shove the books and notebooks back into his worn book bag and says lethargically, “Well, I’ll see you guys later, okay?” He disconnects himself from the uncomfortable seat and slings his bag over his shoulder.

Surprised at the sudden turn of events, Suho asks, “Are you going to skip class? What about my house today?”

“Sorry, maybe next time,” he responds with an apologetic smile.




❁❁❁


“Do Kyungsoo,” Kai mumbles to himself quietly as he cranes his neck to gaze up at the infinitely blue sky from a scratchy bench near the university’s pristine entrance. He’s never been interested in him before but he finds himself wondering what kind of person this Kyungsoo might be. Why would he date people in such a way? Maybe he’s just a player... but he doesn’t remember any rumors about him from when they were on the swim team together and he’s oddly too interested in this guy.

He returns to reality a porsche, its gleaming exterior glowing with the color of cherries and danger pulls up to the gate with a flourish and a roar of a perfectly-tuned, purring engine. A beautiful brown-haired man is in the driver’s seat, his soft-looking hair tousled a bit from racing wind currents through the convertible roof.

Speak of the devil, Kai thinks as Kyungsoo gets out from the well-kept light brown leather of the passenger seat, carefully slamming the door of the extravagant automobile shut with a bang. Kai can see him briefly speaking politely with the beautiful man, nodding his head a quick goodbye before entering the gates, the luxurious car speeding away with its flair for adventure and frivolity.

“Good morning,” Kyungsoo greets his hoobae gleefully, a polite smile stretching his milky-skinned face as he approaches him. Kai remembers the words of his friends earlier and he’s in a playful mood so he decides to tease his sunbae a bit even though they aren’t particularly close.

“Was that your weekly ‘girlfriend’? He looks younger than 20,” Kai says lightheartedly.

Kyungsoo emits a small laugh and plays into Kai’s teasing, knowing the younger boy had a mischievious side from the gossip the other teammates sometimes spouted about him during practice. “Wrong on both accounts. He's the person I dated a long time ago, Luhan.”

“...Have you been confessed to yet today?” Kai asks daringly. He’s not quite sure where he’s going with this so he just wings it like he usually does. If Kyungsoo doesn’t like his questions then he can just leave, right? So he presses on. “Are you really okay with whoever asks you out? You don’t have a ‘type’ that you like?”

“Haha! I didn’t know so many people knew about that. I haven’t been confessed to yet today.” Kyungsoo’s slightly taken aback by the remark and he’s pondering just how many people know about this strange ‘habit’ that he has. His face flushes slightly with color and he thinks about just how unfortunate his love life really is. Remembering that he’s in the presence of company, he shifts his thoughts to the other question after a bit of thought. “I’m not sure what you mean by ‘type.’”

“You know, like the kind of face or body that you usually like?” Kai’s getting more and more interested in this person and he’s eager to find out the answer to his question. Maybe Kyungsoo likes a certain type of person so he breaks up with them when they’re not his type. That could be it. Maybe?

“I guess... I like your face. Is that what you mean by type?”

Kai’s train of thought just flew out of the sky and down a cliff by the unexpected answer, his eyes wide and staring up at the other boy standing in front of him. Kai wasn’t sure what stirred in him at that moment but his heart is starting to beat fast and his mind is racing. Maybe he was curious to see how Kyungsoo would react or maybe he was just upset over his recent break up but he’s always one to act on impulse and that’s what he does now.

“I see. Then how about it? Why don’t you go out with me, Kyungsoo?”

The older boy widens his eyes and stares at Kai. He’s not sure what to make of the proposal and time is frozen for them in that moment as they just look at each other, trying to comprehend the thoughts and emotions surging through the empty space between them both and clogging their lungs.

“Yah! Aren’t you supposed to be going to my class right now, Do Kyungsoo?” the professor yells as she approaches the boys, shaking them out of their reverie and bringing them back into the harsh reality.

Kai gets up from his seat hurriedly, afraid of the consequences his abrupt words will bring them but also hoping that Kyungsoo will take it as a joke and dismiss the entire issue. “I’ve got a class to go to now too. See you later.”




❁❁❁


“Why’d you end up coming back to class?” Baekhyun asks as he gathers his books and papers, writing utensils clattering and tumbling away from his hands, trying to escape from being entrapped within his dark backpack. Eager students are now milling passed them on their way out, hurrying in every which way and bumping shoulders with one another.

“I don’t know. I just felt like it,” Kai responds, offhandedly. It was merely to escape from the awkward situation he had created earlier and somehow, without any place to escape to, he followed through on his words and went back to class. His brain is still running through memories and information about Kyungsoo, sifting through the mysteries around him. As they approach the door, all three of them stop as they take in the boy standing there, just outside of the doorway.

“Oh, so I got the right class.” Kyungsoo smiles his gleeful smile, light radiating from his unblemished face in waves and rays. “You’re done with classes for the day, right?”

Kai pauses. At first he’s unsure who exactly Kyungsoo is talking to but after realizing that neither Suho nor Baekhyun are really friends with this boy-- heck, he isn’t even really friends with him-- he concludes that Kyungsoo is indeed talking to him.

Is he asking me to walk home with him? “Yeah... but don’t you have swim practice to go to now?”

“Ahh, well I wanted to ask you for your phone number.” Kyungsoo reaches into his jeans pocket and pulls out his sleek cell phone, getting ready to input Kai’s number into the device.

Was he always the type of person who’d go out of his way to make friends with others? Kai thinks as he exchanges numbers with his sunbae. Even when they were in the swim team together, Kyungsoo was friendly to the other members but he wasn’t this friendly.

“Can I just call you ‘Kai’? Isn’t your real name Kim Jongin? You can just call me Kyungsoo too.”

“Sure...” Kai replies, confused. He’s an even weirder person than I originally thought he was. He notices Baekhyun and Suho carefully eyeing the two from slightly behind him and he’s feeling the nervousness skitter through him for the first time in a long time. The relief washes through him when the swim team manager comes bouncing down the hallway though.

“Oh! Kyungsoo-sunbaenim! I finally found you! The swim coach is looking for you.” Kai looks away, wary about making eye contact with the girl but she notices him anyway. “Oh, Kai-ssi.”

“Alright. I’ll go see him then. I’ll see you tomorrow, Kai,” Kyungsoo nods as he walks away with the girl, a light bounce in his step.  

When he’s out of sight, Suho slides up next to Kai and asks slyly, “So what was that? I thought you two were just acquaintances?”

“Yeah, I just so happened to see him this morning at the school gate and we had a small conversation.”

The stars are blooming profusely in the night sky and the cool air is comforting after their intense match at Suho’s house, courtesy of Baekhyun and his obsession with Cooking Mama. His cheeks are slightly flushed from the excitement and he stuffs his hands into his pockets to avoid the chill.

He’s lying on his fluffy bed at home, clean and in his pajamas when he decides to scroll through his contacts on his phone, sliding his finger along the smooth touch screen, littering fingerprints and identity. He lingers on Kyungsoo’s phone number for a tad bit longer than he meant to and a realization runs through his mind.

He couldn’t have taken what I said this morning seriously... could he?