Chapter 8: Disappearing Act

The Royal Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, Uncle, Auntie.” greeted Victoria on a Saturday morning. She woke up early to serve breakfast for everybody.

“Good morning dear,” The King answered. The Queen is staring at her happily like she’s a human-sized diamond.

“Uh... is there something on my face, Auntie?”

“No, of course not, you are so beautiful, my dear.  Mita, could you go wake Nichkhun?” she asked the maid.

“I’ll do it, Auntie. It’s my job anyway.” said Victoria.

She proceeded to Nichkhun’s room, knocked on the door, and went in. She stopped at the foot of the bed, his figure, sleeping soundly at the center. “Nichkhun,” she called in a low voice. He did not budge. Victoria moved to the side of the bed. “Nichkhun,” she called again. Wow! He looks like an angel sleeping like this, thought Victoria in awe. She resisted the urge to touch his face and shook him lightly instead. “Khun, wake up.”

Nichkhun moved slightly and without opening his eyes, he answered in an irate tone. “Yah! It’s too early!” and went back to sleep.

Victoria sighed loudly. This is harder than I thought! She looked around his room.

Nichkhun slowly opened his eye to peek when she wasn’t looking. He smiled when he found out that it was Victoria waking him up. He pretended to sleep when she turned to him.

“Nichkhun!” she started again, “Aigoo!” she sighed, exasperatedly.

Nichkhun continued pretending, teasing her. Victoria stooped closer to him, watching him intently, frowning. “Prince Nichkhun, wake up, will you? You’re really making this hard for me. If you don’t wake up, I’ll…” Khun suddenly grabbed her to his embrace, making her yelp in surprise and fall on top of him.

”Well, good morning to you too.” Nichkhun smiled cheekily at her, their faces, only a few inches apart.

“You were pretending to be sleeping, weren’t you?!” Victoria accused in disbelief. “I hate you!” she said, hitting Nichkhun lightly in the chest.

Khun chuckled lightly and pinched her nose. “No, you don’t.” he said confidently. “Now, how about a good morning kiss?”

Victoria rolled her eyes. “You are so full of yourself.” Realizing that she was still lying on top of Khun, she quickly pushed out of his embrace, standing up. “I’m gonna draw your bath.” she said, her face red in embarrassment, and headed to the bathroom.

Nichkhun smiled. He loves teasing her. Cute, he thought, getting out of bed and followed Victoria to the bathroom. He stood by the door, watching her prepare his bath, smiling to himself. When she’s done, he quietly made his way to her and hugged her from behind, surprising her yet again, for the second time.

“My goodness, you scared me!” cried Victoria.

“I’m sorry.” Nichkhun said, hugging her tight.

“Go take a bath. Auntie is asking for you.”

Khun nodded. “Don’t I get a kiss first?” he gave Victoria a pleading puppy dog look.

Victoria sighed, he looked so adorable that she just can’t say no to him. She stood in tiptoe and planted one on his lips. Nichkhun held her close as he deepened the kiss.

“Go take your bath.” said Victoria when they finally separated.

“Join me?” asked Nichkhun playfully, winking at her.

Victoria rolled her eyes. “In your dreams!” she said, leaving Khun behind, chuckling.

*    *     *

“Prince Nichkhun, it’s such an honor to have you here in our day care center.” Mrs. Young, the American Director of Bangkok’s Kids Day Care Center said.

“It’s my pleasure, Mrs. Young. You know that Father and Mother have always been impressed by your dedication and love for the children. They would have come today if it weren’t for a sudden trip abroad.” answered Nichkhun. “Besides, I like coming here. These kids are really adorable. I hope you don’t mind, Mrs. Young. My sister and I brought our friends with us.” He continued, chuckling slightly.

“Oh, not at all, Your Highness. The kids will be very happy to have a bunch of people to play with.” said Mrs. Young.

Nichkhun nodded and turned to Victoria, who was standing beside him, holding his hand and happily watching the kids running around. Nichkhun smiled, watching her.

“Uh, Mrs. Young? Why is that little girl all alone in the corner? She’s not mingling with the other kids.” Victoria asked curiously, noticing a young girl around five years old staring at her.

Nichkhun and Mrs. Young turned to look at the girl Victoria was talking about. “She’s new here. Her parents are here in Thailand for a business trip. Since no one’s going to take care of her, they took her with them and left her here while they go on meetings. She can’t speak the language so she can’t play with others. She’s Chinese.” informed Mrs. Young.

Victoria let go of Nichkhun’s hand and approached the girl, who was still looking at her.

~ Chinese Conversation ~ (in red)

“Hi there, what’s your name?” Victoria greeted the child with an encouraging smile.

The child continued to stare at her.

“Come on, I won’t bite.” she coaxed.

“My name is Xiang Chin.” she answered shyly.

“That’s a pretty name, Xiang Chin. I’m…”

“Are you Princess Qian? You look a lot like her.” Xiang Chin pondered.

Victoria was taken aback. Good thing the people around them doesn’t understand a thing they are saying. “Uh, yes I am.” she answered in a low

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter