Chapter 5

Virility Island (BAP AU)

Chapter 5

 

            They spend the early hours of the morning getting to know each other. Daehyun finds himself extremely fascinated with this outside world; there’s so much more to learn than he ever realized. So far he’s found that these so-called females are the one’s who take on the reproductive role within this environment and it’s natural for guys to be attracted to them and their flabby chests. Of course, Daehyun doesn’t see the appeal at all, but he stays quiet as Youngjae pulls out magazines containing pictures of females.

            “Isn’t she y?” Youngjae points to a particular brunette sitting coyly with her legs beneath her, hands clasped on her thighs as if pushing her s forward.

            “I feel no attraction towards her,” Daehyun says simply. He lifts his mask just enough to nibble on a piece of bacon from one of the breakfast trays Youngjae ordered earlier.

            “You’re so weird.” Youngjae laughs as he closes the magazine and tosses it onto the coffee table.

            “I know.”

            “What?”

            “I know I’m weird.” Daehyun clarifies. “I’ve always felt that way. I’m different from the others on the island. I think there is something wrong with me.” He doesn’t understand why he is being so open with Youngjae. They’ve only just met, but Daehyun hasn’t felt this at ease while talking to someone before, apart from Jongup and Yoseob. He’s never had many confidants in his life so it feels nice to be able to express himself to someone new.

            “What makes you say that?” Youngjae watches Daehyun earnestly, no longer laughing.

            Daehyun fingers his mask in prolonged silence, not meeting Youngjae’s eyes.

            “It’s a big deal, isn’t it?” Youngjae gestures towards the bottom half of his own face and Daehyun glances up at him. “What’s so important about your mask anyways?”

            “It’s tradition.” Daehyun pulls his legs onto the couch, crossing them as he turns to face Youngjae. “Everyone wears a mask when they’re young, even babies. Until we find a partner and go through the unmasking ceremony, we can only show our faces to our immediate families.”

            “Why?” Youngjae pulls one of the throw pillows into his lap as he waits for Daehyun’s explanation. He’s already explained to Daehyun that people it’s normal for people to only wear the mask when they’re sick and they don’t want to spread germs. Sometimes people wear the masks to keep warm, but other than that it isn’t common for people to keep their faces covered, unless it’s for religious reasons.

            Daehyun thinks about the uncomfortable mask that he’s been forced to wear since he was little. He knows the reason he’s been told to wear the mask but he wonders if it really is so important after all. “We wear the masks because it helps us find the right partner.” Daehyun looks at Youngjae’s mask-less face feeling the urge to reach out and touch him.

            “How so?” Youngjae leans forward just a tad.

            “I’m…not sure. It keeps us from being distracted by physical features. It’s hard to explain, but the mask allows us to focus on finding our true match, the person that connects with us on every level.” Daehyun finds it hard to look away from Youngjae, but he forces himself to turn his head.

            Youngjae smiles. “Sounds romantic.”

            “I guess.” Daehyun shrugs.

            “Wait,” Youngjae says. “You did say there are nothing but guys on this island, so every couple is two guys.” He holds up two fingers for emphasis.

            “Yeah.” Daehyun draws out the word while staring at Youngjae like he’s an idiot.

            He shakes his head. “Okay, just making sure. I don’t really have a problem with it. I mean, it’s your personal preference and all.” He stops himself from rambling. “So is there some kind of time frame that people usually find their matches?”

            “Around thirteen. But some people find them sooner and no later than fourteen. ”

            “And how old are you?” Youngjae asks curiously.

            “Almost sixteen,” Daehyun huffs. “That’s what makes me weird. No one’s ever gone this long without finding a partner.”

            “Well, have you tried dating?” Youngjae rests his elbow on the pillow in his lap and his head on his hand.

            “Dating? As in measuring time? I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

            Youngjae his head to the side. “You don’t know what dating is? Asking a person to spend time with you and doing romantic things together.”

            “I would have to have a partner before doing this whole ‘dating’ thing.”

            “But dating is how you find a partner,” Youngjae explains exasperated. “You date one person and if things don’t work out, you date someone else. It’s common to go through many partners before you find the right one and most people never really find the person they’re meant to be with.”

            Daehyun leans back into the arm of the chair, looking scandalized at Youngjae. “More than one partner is unheard of. There can only be one partner. Everyone has one match.”

            “You mean people always stay with their first partners?”

            Daehyun nods earnestly.

            “So no one ever breaks up? No separation? No divorce?” Youngjae asks astonished.

            “Why would they?” Daehyun furrows his brows. “Our partners are meant to be lifelong. And what’s divorce?” He doesn’t like the relationship concepts Youngjae is telling him about. He thinks it’s hard enough to find one partner, so why would anyone suffer through finding another one?

            Youngjae covers his face with his palms, rubbing a few times before shaking his head. “This island of yours sounds too good to be true.” He pauses, hand reaching out to Daehyun stopping a few inches away from his face. “But I’m really curious to see what you look like without the mask. Can’t you take it off just for a second?”

            Daehyun pushes Youngjae’s hand away while covering his mask with his other hand. “It’s inappropriate for you to ask me that.”

            He throws his hands back. “Sorry. I won’t ask again.” Grabbing his pillow and squeezing it to his chest, Youngjae adds, “I bet you’re really handsome though.”

            Daehyun feels his face flare up as he averts his eyes. He’s grinning behind his mask and once more he finds that he’s actually glad he has to wear it. People on the island don’t usually comment on one another’s appearance; it’s never been a practice to call people handsome. On occasion, people comment on the bodies of athletes and soldiers but that’s mostly because physical strength is admirable on the island.

            As they continue chatting, the sun slowly breaks across the horizon, peaking through buildings until the shine reaches the window behind the couch they are sitting on. They talk briefly about family and their home lives, mostly because Youngjae suspects Daehyun left home due to family problems. He’s surprised to find that Daehyun truly loves his family and even misses them, but he most definitely didn’t leave because of them. Daehyun keeps a lot about the island to himself. He doesn’t know how much he should divulge to Youngjae and seeing as Daehyun doesn’t know much about Youngjae’s world, he thinks it’s best to protect the island’s secrets. He puts Youngjae on a need to know basis until he finds out a bit more information because there is just so much he doesn’t know and Daehyun doesn’t like not knowing things.

            Soon enough fatigue finally catches up with Daehyun and he’s yawning until his eyes water. Youngjae looks at the time before standing up and piling all of the leftovers on the food trays before placing them back on the cart they were brought in on. Daehyun moves to help, but Youngjae shoos him away.

            “You’re tired,” he says. “I’ve kept you up long enough.” He pushes the food cart to the door before turning back. “You can use the bed if you want to get some rest. I’ll be right back.”

            Daehyun glances at the bed for a few moments after Youngjae leaves the room. He hesitates before walking around the chairs to get to the side of the bed, pushing his hands into the comforter testing the softness of the mattress. The burgundy bed looks inviting with it’s over sized pillows and thick blankets. Daehyun’s sure it will swallow him whole. He crawls onto the bed, still mentally testing the spongy material beneath him.

            Youngjae reenters the room, talking on his cell phone. Daehyun has only seen government officials with them on the island; his dad had only recently been given one due to the secrecy required with his job. This made Daehyun wonder if Youngjae was in some important position, but he couldn’t see what that could be exactly. Maybe he is actually intelligent, but does stupid things just like Yongguk.

            As Daehyun ponders Youngjae’s role in society, the other guy opens a wide door across from the bed walking into what looks to be a room full of clothes. Daehyun can hear him mumbling something about being late. When Youngjae comes out of the room again, he’s wearing a suit that resembles a school uniform.

            Youngjae looks at his phone again. “I need to leave soon for school. I’ve got to pick up a friend.”

            Daehyun nods. “So you’re still in school.”

            “Yeah.” Youngjae opens a drawer, pulling out a pair of black socks. “Well, we only have a week before break. What about you?”

            “I graduated yesterday.”

            “Really? But you’re sixteen. You must be really smart.” Youngjae looks up once he’s finished putting his socks on.

            Daehyun sinks back into the plush pillows, yawning once again. “Well, I was ranked first all during school, but everyone graduates around sixteen.”

            “I wish. We don’t get out until we’re eighteen.” He stands brushing the wrinkles out his pants. “I’ll be back sometime this afternoon. If you get hungry, just call downstairs and order whatever you like. The number is on the menu next to the phone. Don’t leave or you won’t be able to get back in.” He pauses after picking up his keys and faces Daehyun. “Wait, that sounded bad. If you want to leave you can. I mean I’m not trying to force you to stay or anything. It will just be difficult to get back in because I’m not here and you need a key. But if you leave, you’re definitely welcome back. I mean…”

            “I understand.” Daehyun shakes his head and stifles a laugh. “It’s alright. I know what you meant.”

            Youngjae sighs in relief. He goes to his closet to grab a coat, pausing as he reaches the door. “I like talking to you Daehyun.”

            “I like talking to you too, Youngjae.” They smile at each other and as Youngjae turns to leave, Daehyun adds, “Thanks for helping me.”

            It isn’t long after Youngjae leaves that Daehyun tugs the covers back and snuggles into bed. It smells like Youngjae’s coat or in other words, Youngjae himself and Daehyun doesn’t think he’s ever smelled anything so comforting. He feels at home here, which is strange because he’s never felt like he’s belonged anywhere. He always felt out of place on the island and he thinks leaving the island has been the best decision he’s made so far.

            Once he succumbs to his need for sleep, Daehyun falls so deeply into the act he ends up sleeping the whole day away. The warmth of the soft cotton sheets and plush comforter wrap around him like a cocoon, making him far too comfy to even consider waking up. The overwhelming fatigue from the days events finally take their toll as his body attempts to recuperate through sleep.

            Eventually, Daehyun wakes up to the sound of someone singing in shower. He’s never heard this song before but he likes the flow of the words as the voice resonates off the tile-covered bathroom walls and into the bedroom. The bed is just the right kind of warm and cozy so he doesn’t really want to move and instead of waking up, he ends up dozing off again, but only for a few minutes because Youngjae accidentally drops something against the tile floor as he exits the bathroom. Daehyun peeks through heavy eyes as Youngjae pauses in the doorway to pick up what looks like pieces of his phone. As he stands, he notices the eyes watching him from the bed.

            “Sorry, did I wake you?” Youngjae attempts to put his phone back together.

            Daehyun shakes his head deciding its best to just wake up now. He shifts himself up against the pillows at the head of the bed. “I was already awake.” He glances around. “How long have I’ve been asleep?”

            “A while. I would say about twelve hours since I left at six this morning and it’s already six in the afternoon.” Youngjae ruffles his damp hair with his towel as he sits on the opposite side of the bed.

            “I haven’t slept like this in a long time.” Daehyun rubs the exposed part of his face before readjusting his mask. He’s surprised he slept so well with it on. “Your bed is ridiculously comfortable.”

            “It better be. I paid enough for it.” Youngjae laughs and Daehyun smiles unconsciously at the sound. “You must be hungry.”

            “I’m always hungry,” Daehyun jokes.

            “You want me to order something?”

           Daehyun shrugs. “Do you always order food?”

           “Yeah.” Youngjae watches his phone as he turns it on to make sure it still works after its fall. “I can’t cook to save my life. Besides, it’s easier to just order takeout.”

           Daehyun observes him silently, contemplating whether or not Youngjae should be allowed to take care of himself. His IQ seems fairly average at best and everything in his demeanor suggests that he’s not a fully independent individual.

           “So, is there anything in particular you want?”

           “Something with noodles,” Daehyun pauses, “and cheesecake.”

           Youngjae laughs again before going over to the room phone and placing an order. Daehyun perks up when he hears Youngjae order two different types of cheesecake: strawberry and blueberry. As the other hangs up the phone, Daehyun turns so that his legs hang over the side of the bed. He feels like he should say something, but decides the silence between them isn’t completely unbearable.

           “It shouldn’t be too long before the food arrives.” Youngjae turns to face Daehyun before leaning against the table. “You have some time if you want to freshen up or anything. I forgot to tell you earlier that there are extra toothbrushes in the second drawer under the sink.”

           Daehyun nods in understanding as he slides off the high bed stretching his well-rested muscles. As he makes it to the end of the bed on his way to the bathroom, Youngjae stops him, exclaiming as if he has just remembered something important. He reaches into his deep coat pocket and pulls out a small plastic bag and hands it over to Daehyun. “This should be more comfortable than the one you’re wearing now,” he says with a somewhat pleased expression.

           Examining the bag, Daehyun pulls out the contents to find a simple, thin black facemask. “Thanks for remembering.” Daehyun says, gladly accepting the mask before making his way to the bathroom. Once inside he pulls off his mask, taking a deep breath and incidentally inhales the scent of Youngjae once again. It’s even stronger this time making Daehyun feel giddy as he clings to the counter for support. He seriously cannot recall ever having such a strong reaction to another person’s scent before or any scent for that matter. He wonders if it’s because he’s finally found his match, the person he’s been longing to meet for years and now that he has, everything associated with Youngjae makes him weak at the knees. He thinks it’s ridiculous to behave like this over someone he’s just met, but these emotions make him feel more alive than ever. He doesn’t want to go back to that void he was living in on the island, but there’s a problem. Daehyun needs to find a way to get Youngjae to feel the same, but he doesn’t know how.

           After taming his unruly bed-head and brushing his teeth, Daehyun gazes at himself in the mirror while the new mask given to him by Youngjae. He debates about whether or not to put it on, thinking for a second that maybe he should just stop wearing it altogether, but the idea of walking out in front of Youngjae mask-less makes him feel overexposed. Eventually, he tugs the mask into place, hating that itchy feeling of unworn material and the bland smell of cotton as it overpowers the lingering scent of Youngjae.

           As he reenters the bedroom, he finds Youngjae relaxing on the bed with his head resting in hands. His eyes are closed as he hums that same tune he was singing previously in the bathroom. Daehyun makes his way back around the bed, crawling up to sit beside Youngjae, who continues humming unfazed with the way the bed sinks against Daehyun’s weight. Only after Youngjae stops does Daehyun ask, “What song is that?”

           Youngjae rolls his head from side to side. “I don’t know but it’s been stuck in my head for a while though.”

           Daehyun crosses his legs beneath him before resting his elbows on his knees and staring forward. “It’s nice. The melody is full of longing, so it makes me a bit sad. Himchan would probably like it though.”

           “Who?” Youngjae perks up at the mention of a new name.

           “Hmmm.” Daehyun glances over at him before realizing what he’s said, then shakes his head as if to say it’s not important.

           Huffing, Youngjae sits up and crosses his legs, turning to face Daehyun. “Who’s Himchan?”

           Daehyun ignores the question as he picks at his pants legs. He doesn’t want to talk about Himchan because that could lead to a whole different conversation that Daehyun isn’t ready to have with Youngjae right now. Just having Youngjae say Himchan’s name causes Daehyun stomach to churn with unease; he suddenly feels extremely territorial over his birthfather.  

           “Daehyun,” Youngjae calls, trying to get his attention. When nothing happens, he tugs at Daehyun’s arm. “What going on? What aren’t you saying?”

           Daehyun shrugs off Youngjae’s hand. “There are some things that you shouldn’t know, things I can’t tell you.”

           “Like what?” Youngjae asks dumbly.

           “I can’t tell you,” Daehyun says exasperatedly. “There are some questions that I don’t feel comfortable answering. Just forget I mentioned Himchan, okay?”

           Youngjae’s eyes widen at Daehyun’s emotional outburst. “If it’s that important to you, then I won’t ask again.”

           There’s a moment of silence before Daehyun sighs. “Sorry, there’s just an overload of new information right now and I’m not sure what to make of everything. This world is so different from mine and I think it’s safer if you just don’t know certain things about me.”

           Youngjae reaches out to Daehyun again, this time grabbing his hand as he sincerely asks, “Are you in trouble? Do you need help?”

           Daehyun freezes at the feeling of Youngjae’s hand in his own. He can’t think clearly, much less verbally answer the questions. His heart is beating too fast and his breathing is shallow. The room is suddenly sweltering and Youngjae doesn’t help the situation at all as he leans in gazing into Daehyun’s eyes wondering if he’s okay.

           “Are you okay? Do you have a fever?” he asks concerned. He leans in even closer, barely touching Daehyun’s face with the back of his hand before he’s being harshly smacked away. Daehyun uses a bit too much force pushing Youngjae away and accidently sends him flying backwards off the bed.

           Realizing what he’s done a bit too late, Daehyun crawls across the bed hoping Youngjae’s not hurt. “I’m sorry. I was startled. I didn’t mean to…” he trails off as he sees blood trailing down Youngjae’s face. “I’m sorry,” he says again pulling Youngjae up to a sitting position while using the towel that had previously been draped around Youngjae’s neck to catch the blood dripping from his nose. Daehyun checks over Youngjae for any other visible injuries. “I’m sorry,” he repeats. “Are you okay?”

           “You’re stronger than you look,” Youngjae coughs through the towel.

           “Sorry, it was a reflex. You keep doing unexpected things.” Daehyun lightly presses his thumb to the side of Youngjae’s head causing him to wince. “It’s swelling fast. You need some ice.”

           As Daehyun attempts to stand, Youngjae grabs his arm pulling him back down again. “Don’t avoid the question?” His voice sounds thick from not being able to breathe through his nose.

           “What?”

           “Are you in trouble?”

           “No.” Daehyun shakes his head.

           “So, you’re okay?”

           “Yeah, I’m fine,” Daehyun whispers almost laughing because Youngjae sounds thoroughly concerned about him right now, even though he’s the one with a bloody nose and two blooming black eyes.

           “But if something was wrong, you would tell me, right?”

           Daehyun answers without hesitation. “Yeah, I promise I will tell you.”

           The doorbell rings, interrupting their moment to announce the arrival of dinner. Youngjae asks Daehyun to answer it considering the situation; he doesn’t think it’s a good idea for any of the hotel staff to see him in this condition. Luckily a bucket of ice is brought up for the drinks and Daehyun’s able to make a small ice pack for Youngjae’s face. He gives it to Youngjae to hold up to the side of head, while Daehyun pulls the towel away to check his nose. Luckily the towel stanched the blood flow, so Daehyun’s only job now is to clean the dried blood off of Youngjae’s face. He wets a clean part of the towel with some of the water from the room service cart and gently scrubs at the crusty splotches on Youngjae’s cheeks.

           “It’s a good thing your nose didn’t break, but do you always bleed this easily?”

           “Isn’t it normal for people to bleed?” Youngjae huffs.

           “But I didn’t even hit you that hard. How can you be so fragile?” Daehyun takes this opportunity to run his fingers along the curve of Youngjae’s cheek. He smiles to himself thinking about how soft Youngjae’s skin feels beneath his fingertips.

           “Daehyun,” Youngjae says in a hushed tone considering their closeness.

           The guy in question hums in response still focused on tracing a line down Youngjae’s cheeks.

           “You have really beautiful eyes.” He slowly brings his hand up, hesitating as he places it against Daehyun’s partially covered cheek causing them to look like mirror images on one another and Daehyun looks up meeting Youngjae’s gaze. “I don’t know what it is, but I feel drawn to you, like I’ve been waiting my whole life to meet you.” Youngjae pauses in thought. “I know it sounds crazy, but something was telling me to go to the pier last night and then you appeared and everything just seemed to make sense. It’s like fate brought me to you. I don’t know why, but you feel it too, don’t you?”

           Daehyun nods slowly as he contemplates the meaning of Youngjae’s words. Instead of rushing anything he simply replies, “Yeah, I feel it. I’ve been waiting a while to meet you too.”

 


I've been meaning to update this for a while, but school and my internship has basically taken over my life. I have no idea when I will be able to update this again, but I promise I will eventually finish this story because I like this AU a lot and I want to know what happens to the characters.

Anyways, thanks so much to everyone who has subscribed and stuck around. I hope this update wasn't too boring. I need to think about how they progress in their relationship ^____~

I love your comments and support.

I'll try to work on another update sometime in the near future.

<3 Jae