Chapter 4

Virility Island (BAP AU)

Chapter 4

 

            After recovering from the initial shock of coming face to face with the guy Daehyun had dreamed about for years, he climbed up the pier’s ladder and stood before this guy dejected and unable to meet his eyes again. The cool early morning air drove a chill up his spine. He wasn’t used to such cool temperatures and the trisuit only provided so much coverage for his body, but it wasn’t unbearable for Daehyun.

            “Aren’t you cold?” the stranger asked. “What were you doing in the water in the first place? And why are you dressed like that?”

            Daehyun ignored the questions. “I can’t really talk right now. I need to get out of here.” His voice shook, betraying his forced composure. Desperate, he stepped past the stranger and down the pier, looking for a quick hiding place to sort out his thoughts and decide on his next move. Having no knowledge of the area or its people, Daehyun wondered where to explore first. All he knew at the moment was that he needed to get away from the docks without being seen by others from the island.

            “Where are you going?” The guy rushed to keep pace with Daehyun. Since he wasn’t receiving a response, he grabbed Daehyun’s upper arm, pulling him to a halt and forcing him to meet eyes. “Who are you and why are you dressed like a spy?”

            “I just need to get out of here.” Steadfast in his decision not to tell this guy much, Daehyun wrenched his arm free, attempting to walk away again. “Don’t follow me.”

            “Wait,” the stranger called. “You’re freezing. You shouldn’t be walking around like this. Let me help you.”

            “What?” Daehyun asked confused. The cold and these feelings welling up inside of him from being so close to this guy he never thought he would meet were clouding his mind. Things were supposed to happen this way.

            “You want to get away right? At least let me give you a ride.”

            Daehyun’s legs and arms trembled as a gust of wind blew through the docks and before he could reject the invitation, the stranger led his around one of the large warehouses and towards what looked to be a parking lot. They traveled in and out of the shadows together, the only source of light being the soft glow from the security lights located around the buildings. Daehyun didn’t realize a trench coat had been placed over his shoulders until the two stopped in front of a shiny black car, one unlike any Daehyun had ever seen before.

            “C’mon, get in.” The stranger opened the passenger door, waiting for Daehyun to slide in before closing it and moving to the driver’s side. They sit for a moment, the car humming as the engine warmed its self. “So, where are you going?”

            Daehyun hugged himself for warmth, head bowed as he stared at his knees. “I don’t really know,” he sighed.

            “Okay,” the stranger elongated the word. “Well, what about going home?”

            “I can’t.”

            “Are you a runaway?”

            Daehyun glanced to the side, giving a small nod. “Something like that, I guess.”

            “What’s your name?”

            “Why are you helping me?” he asked ignoring the question. “You don’t know me.”

            “True.” The guy shrugged. “Even though you look suspicious dressed like that, you don’t exactly scream psycho, so I’m just banking on the fact that you won’t try to kill me. If anything, you look like you’re trying to spy on the ships at the dock, but you won’t get much information swimming around in freezing waters at four in the morning. Besides, if you want to know something about the company, I’m probably the best person to kidnap anyways considering my dad owns the place.”

            “What are you talking about? Information? Kidnapping?” Daehyun stared, confused. This guy was starting to seem strange with his talk of psychos and killers. Violence on the island wasn’t exactly common. People didn’t have a need to harm others and the community was relatively compatible to the point that many people questioned the need for military protection because there was nothing they needed protection from, at least not within the dome. “And why would I try to kill you?”

            “I don’t know. Some people are just crazy.” He laughed in the awkward silence left after his comment. “So, what’s your name? I’m Youngjae.”

            He stared for a moment, trying to figure out if this guy was nice or just a bit crazy. In the end, he decided it was best not to ask and replied, “Daehyun.”

           By this time warm air had begun to blow from the vents, he reached forward, placing his hands in front of them feeling small relief in his tingling fingers. He didn’t like the numbing cold of this new place. He much preferred the warm weather on Virility.

            Youngjae noticed Daehyun’s actions “Well, if you don’t want to go home, then what about coming to mine. So we can get you some dry clothes. You also look exhausted.”

            By this point, Daehyun didn’t really have an option. He was more than willing to find some dry clothes, possibly something warm. He watched as Youngjae drove out of the parking lot and away from the docks. Subconsciously he tugged at his mask, readjusting it on his face. He couldn’t stop staring at Youngjae, wondering why he felt so compelled towards this guy. For some reason, his eyes didn’t want to leave Youngjae’s face. He studied the driver’s profile, committing the curved lips, round nose, and chubby cheeks to memory. Daehyun slumped into his seat, pulling Youngjae’s coat further around him as they passed from one street to another.

            This place was vastly different from the island. Even though it was still dark out, Daehyun could tell the streets were grimy and littered. The buildings stood taller than any back home. Daehyun craned his neck to see the tops of some, probably dozens of stories high. The streets were void of life this early in the morning, just a few stores were lit for late night convenience. As they drove further into the city and away from the docks, Daehyun noticed the large streets signs with advertisements for products. He was struck by the images of longhaired and oddly curved humans. He had ever seen people with bulges from their chests before and they looked much less manly than normal. He made a mental note to ask Youngjae about these creatures later, for now he just wanted to change and warm up.

            Before he realized it, they had stopped in a large building filled with cars. Daehyun had never seen so many cars packed together, especially not within a building of their own. The cars on the island were always left outside. There were hardly enough cars for them to need a whole building dedicated to storing them. In his moment of awe, he almost forgot to follow Youngjae.

            They entered into a small room with shiny walls and a gold railing wrapping around three sides. The door opened with the push of a button, and which lead them up to the building directly above to the car shelter. It contained buttons with numbers and letters on the wall. Youngjae pushed the top button, which contained a “P”. The room started moving upwards causing Daehyun to lean against the wall in shock while clutching the railing for support. This was also new for him. On the island, stairs were the only source used to get to an upper floor.

           Youngjae giggled in amusement. “Do you not like elevators?”

           “Elevator?” Daehyun glanced around the room curiously.

           “Yeah, we’re in an elevator. Have you never taken one?” Youngjae asked shocked.

           “We don’t have them.”

           “Really? Where are you from?”

           Daehyun shook his head not wanting to answer. He tucked his hands into the pocket of the coat having grown used to the upward movement and stared up at the changing numbers. By this time, he had mostly dried off, but there was still a chill surrounding him.

           The elevator stopped and the doors opened revealing what looked to be the entranceway into a luxurious room. A man dressed in a sleek black uniform stood to the left of the huge dark-stained wooden doors. He bowed at Youngjae and said, “Welcome home, young master.”

           Youngjae barely acknowledged him with a curt nod before entering the now opened door. Daehyun gave a courteous bow before following him. They paused in the wide, brightly lit foyer, as Youngjae removed his shoes and placed them into shoe cabinet that spanned almost the entire right wall. It contained almost four-dozen cubbyholes and practically all of them were occupied with shoes Daehyun thought it looked a bit too colorful and ridiculous. Daehyun followed his actions before being lead through the spacious front room, which contained minimum amounts of furniture. There were only two small decorative couches. They looked rather uncomfortable to sit on and a bit too new to have been there long. Down the hall to the right, all the doors were closed and the cream-colored walls held no decorative fixtures. They finally entered the last door on the hall, which was a large bedroom that Daehyun imagined the entire first floor of his house could fit into.

           The bed was larger than any Daehyun had seen before. He was beginning to feel that everything in this new place was oversized and ridiculous. The black cushioned headboard trailed halfway up the wall. There were at least six pillows arranged at the top of the bed. The heavy comforter was a deep burgundy and the sheets beneath it a crisp white. The walls in this room were a nice dark-gray color, a good contrast to the white walls Daehyun had seen so far. Daehyun thought the room had a calm feeling to it. It was lived in, unlike the rest of the place.

           “You can use my bathroom to shower. I’ll bring you a set of clothes.” Youngjae pointed to a door just a few meters off to Daehyun’s right. “Use whatever you like to wash up. The towels are hanging on the wall.”

           “Thanks,” Daehyun said as Youngjae rummaged through a drawer of t-shirts. He received the clothes and entered the gray marbled bathroom. The floor chilled his bare feet. He looked to the large round porcelain tub before turning to the wide shower with a glass door.

           While the water heated up, Daehyun finally took a look at himself in the mirror. The first item he took off was his mask, allowing himself to breath easily. His complexion was much paler than he remembered and his hair lay in a stiff mess due to the seawater. He looked small in Youngjae’s over sized coat, but he liked the feel of it. Earlier, he hadn’t realized how soft the material had been; he had been too busy getting warm. After admiring the coat, he took it off and hung it on the back of the door next to a fluffy white bathrobe, embroidered with Youngjae’s name. It too felt refreshingly soft against his palm. He relieved himself of his trisuit, which was beginning to feel tight and uncomfortable. He pulled at the zipper that ran up the front, peeling off the damp material and kicking it aside as he entered the now steaming shower.

           As the warm water hit him, his muscles began to relax. He washed himself of the scent of the sea, while losing himself to the wonderfully powerful stream of water as it massaged his tired body. While he was busy rinsing the conditioner out of his hair, Youngjae decided to check on him, wondering how long until Daehyun finished freshening up.

           “Daehyun,” he called. “I’m going to order breakfast. How long before you’re done?”

           Completely startled Daehyun covered his face and turned around, thankful for the foggy glass between him and Youngjae. “You shouldn’t just barge in on people like that!”

           “What?” Youngjae tapped the glass. “Hey, we’re both guys. It isn’t a big deal.” He chuckled.

           “You can’t see me!” Daehyun’s voice raised an octave. “It’s improper!”

           “Dude, you sound like such a girl.” Youngjae tapped the glass again teasingly. “Just hurry up and finish. I’m hungry.”

           “A girl?” Daehyun asked himself. “What is he talking about?”

           Unable to understand Youngjae’s carefree attitude, Daehyun quickly finished up and dressed in the slightly baggy clothes that Youngjae had given him. He looked at his recreational mask and realized he didn’t have a regular clothe one to use. He covered his face and draped the towel over his damp hair before entering into Youngjae’s bedroom.

           The male was lying on his bed, legs draped over the side and arms splayed above his head. Daehyun smiled to himself thinking Youngjae reminded him a bit of Yoseob and the way he always seemed comfortable around anyone.

           Daehyun stepped up to the end of the bed. “Umm, do you have a mask I can borrow?”

           Youngjae hummed in question and looked up at Daehyun to see him pointing at his mask-covered face.

           “This one’s a bit uncomfortable to wear all the time,” he explained.

           “Can’t you just take it off?”

           Daehyun’s eyes popped as he shook his head, scandalized by Youngjae’s idea. “No! Are you an idiot? I can’t show you my face.”

           “Why? Are you deformed or something?” Youngjae sat up and looked inquisitively at Daehyun. “Are you sick? Contagious?”

           “What? No, I’m…” Daehyun pulled the towel off his head and hung it around his neck. “It’s the rules. You can’t see my face because I still don’t have a partner.”

           Youngjae’s eyebrows creased in confusion. “Is that like, your religion or something?”

           He cocked his head, trying to comprehend Youngjae’s train of thought. “You mean you don’t know the rules?”

           “What rules? What are you talking about?”

           Daehyun paused, glancing around the room as he tried to gather his thoughts and pose logical questions for this seemingly clueless guy. “Do you have a partner?” Daehyun figured it was the best question to ask to make sense of the situation.

           “Partner? Like…am I in a relationship?”

           “Yeah.” Daehyun nodded.

           “Nah. My girlfriend broke up with me a while ago, but what does this have to do with the mask.” Youngjae was becoming even more confused.

           “Girlfriend? What’s that?” Daehyun shook his head and turned away from the bed, moving to sit on the couch on the opposite side of the room. “You’re not making any sense.”

           “Neither are you,” Youngjae laughed. “What with all the talk about rules and how do you not know what a girlfriend is?” He thought for a moment. Youngjae turned and was now sitting on the other side of the bed facing Daehyun. “Wait, earlier you said partner. Do you mean, like, two guys together?”

           Daehyun nodded finally understanding something that came out Youngjae’s mouth.

           “So, are you gay?”

           “Gay? Do you mean am I happy?” Daehyun was confused again.

           “What? No, I mean gay, as in homoual. Two people of the same gender together.”

           “Well, I guess if you think in those terms, but it’s not really the same thing.” Daehyun wondered how much he should tell Youngjae because he clearly knew nothing about the island and this place didn’t seem to follow the same rules of living. They also seemed to have a different vocabulary in which they described things. “But back to the girlfriend. Earlier you mentioned that I acted like a girl. What exactly is that?”

           “Huh?” Youngjae leaned forward, almost sliding off the bed as he did so. “You don’t know what a girl is? Have you been living under a rock?”

           “No, I live on an island.”

           “Do they not have girls on this island?”

           “I don’t know. I’ve never heard the term before, so I can’t tell you if we have them. Maybe we call them by a different name.” Daehyun pondered for a moment, wracking his brain for any information from the books he had studied that would give him insight on what this “girl” was exactly.

           Youngjae stood, grabbing a flimsy book from the table in front of Daehyun before taking a seat beside him on the couch. Flipping through the pages, he pointed at a figure and said, “That’s a girl.”

           It was another one of those creatures with long hair and a curvy figure. Daehyun studied it for a moment before pointing at the girl’s chest. “Why do they stick out like that?”

           “They’re supposed to.” Youngjae laughed. “Those are her s. Guys usually like them that size.”

           “But what’s the use of them? Why are the so large? Don’t they just get in the way?” Daehyun couldn’t comprehend why this creature needed such excess flesh and fat atop it's torso.

           The guy on the couch beside him fell back and rolled in laughter for much longer than Daehyun deemed necessary. Eventually Daehyun took the paper booklet and rolled it up, smacking Youngjae across the head. “What’s so funny? I’m being serious.”

           “You’re a really strange guy, Daehyun,” he said through his continued laughter. “I don’t even know where to begin answering those questions.”

           “Just answer my questions.” He was anything but amused at the situation. Of all the people Daehyun could have bumped into, he gets stuck with an idiot. This guy isn’t just any idiot either; he’s an idiot that Daehyun actually feels attracted to, like his body is telling him they were destined to be together and this fact irritates him. He was expecting someone of higher quality and intelligence to be his partner. He never expected to be matched with an imbecile from a strange place populated with a foreign creature called a girl. Everything he thought he knew about the world from what he learned on the island was starting feel very insignificant.

           This laughing idiot beside him was looking even more unhelpful as he slid to the floor. That suave image he had earlier left some time ago and was now replaced in Daehyun’s mind with this foolish one. Giving him a swift kick to the shin, Daehyun spoke. “Could you please get control of yourself?”

           Youngjae held his leg and whined. “Damn, that hurt.” He sat up on the floor in a cross-legged position and gave Daehyun a genuine smile while he caught his breath. “You’re really refreshing. I haven’t laughed like that in ages.” He moved himself back to the couch after nursing his shin. They locked eyes for a moment as Youngjae leaned in grinning. “I’ll try to take your questions seriously since I like you. But you have to answer mine as well, okay?”

           He did it again, Daehyun thought to himself. Youngjae was being charming. It was the same type of thing that Himchan and Youngguk do when they flip between their bipolar personalities every day. Yongguk could switch from being crazy-obsessed-explosive-master to smiley-oversized-child and Himchan could switch from being an obsessed-nagging-control-freak to an overly-cute-clingy-child. In either case, Daehyun could already see both sides of Youngjae and he wasn’t sure he wanted to accept either of them. Even though he doesn’t really have a choice about his partner and he currently finds Youngjae annoying and idiotic, a part of him wanted to laugh along with Youngjae, wanted to enter that suddenly carefree world of his, wanted to fall into Youngjae’s laughter and not worry about anything at all.

           Daehyun agreed to Youngjae’s request to answer his questions with a nod and smile hidden behind his mask. Apart from his wanting to know about this new place and it’s different set of rules, Daehyun couldn’t help being curious about Youngjae himself. Daehyun felt a little more hopeful considering Youngjae said he wasn’t in a relationship. Maybe he still had a chance, but he would have to wait to find out until more important issues were understood, like what these creature called girls were and why people here weren’t required to wear masks among other things.

 

 


Apparently, Daehyun has lots of book-smarts with little common sense. He's so lost and Youngjae is an idiot. Babo-Youngjae came out ><

Okay...so school started and this is like my toughest semester, but I hope to keep updating. We all know how that goes.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter...it was a bit all over the place because Daehyun is just discombobulated with his new surroundings.

Well, thanks for reading and subscribing and commenting.

<3 Jae

PS: Feel free to check out my blog and Matoki pieces. I'm thinking of having a giveaway and maybe selling them, but I don't know yet.