Chapter 1

Virility Island (BAP AU)

            “Yongguk! If you get any gun powder residue on my instruments again, I’ll show you how to use your next hand grenade!” Himchan yelled from the kitchen where he was preparing breakfast for his two sons before they headed off to school for their last day of the year. He wanted to prepare something extra special for his oldest that was graduating this year, so he was cooking one of Daehyun’s favorites to start his last school day off just right.

           Footsteps pounded up the steps that lead to the basement from the kitchen. Black smoke billowed out the door as it opened, clouding around the accused problem maker. “Don’t worry, your instruments are safe,” Yongguk said, waving at the black cloud as it dispersed into the kitchen. “I promise.” He grinned, black oil stains streaked across his face as signs of the work he’d been doing all night.

           “Liar.” Himchan shook his head, patting his pale green apron in an attempt to dry his hands before pointing to the doorway leading into the hall. “Go wash up for breakfast. It’s our sons last day of school. You should at least send them off.”

           “Can’t I send them off for Daehyun’s graduation tomorrow instead?” Yongguk was in the midst of creating yet another miniature explosive and didn’t want to stop now. He could feel a break through coming soon.

           “You are going to eat with him today and tomorrow. You are also going to the graduation ceremony. How could you even suggest missing it?” Himchan stalked towards him with a large stainless steel spoon in hand. “Now stop arguing and go wash. Hurry, hurry.” He shooed him out of the room receiving many protests. He then moved to open a window. The smoke was going to leave soot stains and a lingering scent if the room wasn’t aired out immediately. As much as he had grown used to the smell on Yongguk, he would rather not have his home smelling like that as well.

           Luckily, it was mid-December and the weather was a wonderful twenty-three degrees Celsius with a nice breeze flowing off the ocean. The weather always remained pleasant on Virility Island; that was one of the perks of living in the community. The residents had the weather regulator to thank for that. It never allowed temperatures to go above twenty-seven or below twenty-one degrees. When it rained, it never stormed, instead just enough fell to keep the land green and growing. It was always perfect, no need for air conditioners or heaters.

           The sea breeze freshened the room as Himchan returned to his cooking, humming to himself as he cut up vegetables for an omelet. He planned on making a strawberry cheesecake later in celebration of Daehyun’s graduation. Himchan felt so proud having nurtured such a brilliant and accomplished child to release into society. He couldn’t wait to watch his son receive his academic excellence award for being at the top of his class. It would be one of those moments in parenthood that he’d remember and reminisce on for the rest of his life.

 

 

 

           At seven, the alarm sounded with a slow hum of classical music; it’s the only kind allowed on the island and none other than Himchan composed this tune. Gradually it woke Daehyun up as it grew louder and louder to a crescendo of clashing symbols and trumpeting horns. Throwing his hand over the edge of the bed and onto the nightstand, he flicked the noise off and heaved a deep sigh. He could smell the remnants of Yongguk’s work wafting upstairs and into his enclosed room. Himchan must be having a fit, he thought.

           He peeked his head out from under his fluorescent blue and green striped comforter. The sun shone through his window, washing the floor with lines of light from his open blinds. He shuffled out of bed, barely getting his feet into his white slippers before hobbling across the wooden floor and over to the window. Pulling the blinds up, he unlatched the pane and pushed it up, allowing the air in his room to circulate. It was refreshing and just what he needed to nudge him awake. He always loved the fresh, salty smell of the sea in the morning.

           Today’s the last day, he thought. No more long hours in the classroom or listening to teachers rave about whatever topic they chose to teach that day. They were getting their placement test results back to see what jobs they may be best suited for. He had no worries in that aspect, considering he was the smartest in his year and would have numerous options of employment to choose from. Daehyun being considered the smartest would place him among geniuses in regular educational systems because on Virility everyone was smart; it’s part of their basic abilities. They are trained from early childhood in mostly scientific and mathematic subjects like biology, physics, chemistry, algebra, geometry, and calculus, with less focus on literature and the arts but not actually neglecting those subjects. Some degree of education emphasized language and literal analytical abilities, but stuff of fiction wasn’t part of the curriculum; it was considered a waste of time by the government. Intense focus in sociology and psychology replaced the literature used in normal schools to study human behavior and characteristics of people. By the time students graduated they were supposed to have learned the highest levels of science and mathematics possible. Students participated in sports and training programs to constantly keep their bodies strong in order to allow their minds to prosper. Knowledge and health were everything for those on the island. Creating offspring that exhibited both was a great accomplishment, something to make a parent proud.

           That being said, some of the less educationally bright students would be placed with consideration of their extra curricular activities. Daehyun already knew his younger brother Jongup would probably get an athletic placement when he graduated in two years, either that or some military related job; he’s smart, but his body is more outstanding than his mind.

           Breathing in one more lungful of sea-air, Daehyun decided it was best to go ahead and shower before Jongup woke up and hogged it. Himchan would probably have an aneurism if he were late for breakfast on his last day. Daehyun knew his birthfather was probably fussing over making the perfect meal, thinking that today was significantly important. Over the years, he had grown accustomed to both of his parent’s eccentric personalities.

           “Daehyun! Are you up yet?” Himchan called from the kitchen having heard the alarm go off in his son’s room.

           “Yes, Commander! So you can stop yelling!” Daehyun called back, using Himchan’s nickname ploy to annoy him. Jongup and he gave him the name because of his innate ability to control Yongguk when everyone else failed to do so. Daehyun hated loud noises in the morning; they just created a bad starting point for the day and he really wasn’t looking forward to school or his graduation ceremony on the next day. Even though he would have rather gone back to bed, he forced himself into the shower and into his school uniform for the second to the last time in his life; he would have to wear it to graduation as well. It consisted of a dark blue blazer, coupled with a white button-up and cream-colored slacks. This was the uniform of a twelfth year student. The pinned insignia on his left consisted of an eye enveloped by a blazing sun. This expressed great intelligence and life-purpose, a sign of accomplishment for those allowed to wear it. Daehyun was one of the few given the chance. Many of the other students bore symbols of animals, most of which none of them had seen in real life considering that lack of versatile animal life on the island.

           Finishing up his morning routine to the smells of delicious omelets, breads, and fruits Himchan had prepared for breakfast, Daehyun wandered into the kitchen wide awake and ready for the day ahead. “Something smells good.”

           “Of course it does. I had to cook something special for my little man.” Himchan approached Daehyun, pinching his cheek before giving him a morning kiss.

           Since he had grown accustomed to this practice, Daehyun no longer fought against it. Instead, he nodded towards the open basement door. “Yongguk blew something else up? I could smell it upstairs.”

           “I swear one of these days he is going to blow the house up with us in it.” Himchan turned back to the stove, readying to flip the last omelet of ham, sausage, onions, and peppers made for Jongup. “I can see the headlines now, ‘Experiment Gone Awry, Family of Four Demolished.’” He waved his hand across the air emphasizing the grandness of the words.

           “Don’t worry so much. Isn’t that why we moved here in the first place? The basement serves as a bomb shelter. I’m sure we are safe from his little experiments.” Daehyun hung his backpack on his usual barstool before climbing into it.

           “Don’t let your guard down. Knowing him, he’s probably working with explosive materials that even the government won’t touch.”

           “Commander, you worry too much. It’s going to cause you to age prematurely.” Daehyun chuckled before taking a sip of his freshly squeezed orange juice, low in pulp just how he liked it.

           “If I knew it would be like this, I wouldn’t have chose him as my partner, no matter how compatible we are.”

           “What was that?” Yongguk, freshly washed and dressed in simple khaki slacks and a white v-neck t-shirt, sauntered into the room. The pink and red marks peeking out the top of his shirt were clear signs of the aftermath his work has provided him over the years. Yongguk’s body gradually became scarred and marked over the years. “Are you denying how attracted you are to me? If I remember correctly, you were rather adamant about making me yours.” Slinking his arm around Himchan’s waist, he pecked him on the cheek.

           “Well, we were extremely compatible. Look at the offspring we’ve made together.” Himchan tried to elbow him away, but Yongguk insisted on annoying him just a bit more.

           “Yeah, one all brains and the other brawn. They make a perfect pair.” Daehyun didn’t know if he should take Yongguk’s comment as a compliment or insult because it was laced with sarcasm.

           Shoving his face closer to Himchan, Yongguk asked, “Do I meet your cleanliness inspection?” This was his attempt at changing the subject.

           Taking the omelet out of the pan and placing it on the last empty plate, Himchan turned to sniff Yongguk. “You smell like spearmint, citrus, and a hint of black powder. Yeah, you’re clean.” He couldn’t help smiling at all the familiar scents; they made up Yongguk, serious, playful, and a hint of danger. It could be intoxicating when given in high doses.

           Growing tired of watching the display of affection between his parents, Daehyun cleared his throat to grab their attention. Yongguk took the hint and released Himchan before taking a seat to the left of his oldest son.

           “Are you excited about today?” he asked.

           “I guess,” Daehyun replied halfheartedly, slumping his shoulders. He watched as Himchan placed his plate of omelet and bowl of fruit in front of him, while giving him a reassuring smile.

           “You’re going to get your placement options today, right? Is there anything you are interested in?” Himchan wanted Daehyun to cheer up and show some enthusiasm. This was probably the second most important milestone in his life, apart from finding a partner.

           As a reply, Daehyun shrugged and plucked a strawberry from his bowl, twirling it with his fingers and examining it before shoving it in his mouth. “Maybe I should do something in food. I like food,” he added.

           “What? Like researching food structures or something?”

           “No. I was thinking more along the realm of cooking food.”

           “With your intelligence and all the opportunities you have, why would you consider cooking? That’s such a lowly job. You have more going for you. Why not medical research or something?” Himchan ranted, unable to understand why his talented son had no life ambition. He knew early on that he wanted to be an instrumentalist and worked his way to being a prodigy during school. He had a goal growing up, but watching Daehyun grow without one truly concerned him.

           “Instrumentalist isn’t a very esteemed occupation either.” Daehyun sighed, calming himself. “Commander, please allow me to make my own decisions. I don’t need someone designating orders to me about my life.”

           “Daehyun, could you please stop calling me that?” The nickname was working on his nerves.

           “He’s right. We shouldn’t force him into anything. He knows what’s best for him.” Yongguk patted Daehyun on the shoulder rather enthusiastically, adding a bit too much force. “We trust you son.”

           Daehyun smiled thankfully, rolling his shoulder to check for soreness.

           “Where’s our other son?” Yongguk asked, trying to change the subject again, which Daehyun was greatly thankful for.

           “Probably lifting weights or admiring his muscles in front of the bathroom mirror, you know how much he loves his body.” Daehyun forked his omelet, cutting off a piece and shoving it in his mouth. “It’s his temple,” he said around the mouthful of delicious food.

           “Don’t be like that. He just has different interests than you. There’s no need for you to criticize his lifestyle,” Himchan said.

           “That’s not a good lifestyle. He’s completely obsessed.”

           “Well he gets that from Yongguk. They both have one-track minds.” Himchan finished setting the places before stepping over to the doorway. “Jongup! Get down here now! It’s time for breakfast!” He was screaming again.

           “Why is he so loud in the morning?” Daehyun mumbled as Yongguk cringed at Himchan’s screeching voice. “It’s too early for this.”

           “It’s never the right time for this.” Yongguk took a swig of his lightly sweetened coffee in an attempt to reenergize himself after his long night of working in the home lab. Once he got started on a project, he usually pursued it nonstop, hell-bent on accomplishing it. Most times, Himchan had to drag him out of the basement. If Yongguk was at the office, Himchan called the company repeatedly asking them to kick him out. Eventually, he became a real nagging nuisance and Yongguk’s company sent him home after the first phone call. No one wanted to hear Commander-Himchan complain repeatedly. The company secretaries actually felt bad for Yongguk while thinking about the fact that he has to deal with Himchan’s nagging on a daily basis.

           “I heard that.” Himchan threw an green apple from the bowl at the end of counter towards Yongguk’s head.

           His quick reflexes from years of dodging flying objects and explosions helped him catch the apple just in time, giving it a swift bite before setting in down next to his fruit bowl. After chewing a bit, he said, “I swear your ears are supersonic. You hear everything.”

           “I am a musical genius. It’s only natural for my hearing to be more perceptive than yours.” Himchan took off his apron and hung it on the hook next to the doorway then walked to the end of the bar, taking the stool to Daehyun’s right side. Without looking at Yongguk, he added, “Your hearing from years of explosions damaging your eardrums.”

           “It must not be too serious if I can still hear you whispering and mumbling about how great I am when we have…”

           “Eww, gross! Yongguk, please I’m trying to eat breakfast in peace.” Daehyun suddenly felt trapped between his parents and their gross fantasies. He could feel the dirty thoughts surging between them like invisible matter through the air, bombarding his senses as they passed by.

           Himchan placed his hand on Daehyun’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, you’ll understand what it’s like one day. When you find your partner, you’ll be just as terribly gross as Yongguk and I are.”

           “Yeah, sure. That’s if he even exists.” He shoved another chunk of omelet in his mouth, making sure to get lots of the melted cheese from the middle, hoping that maybe the food would serve as comfort for his lack of a partner.

           “I’m sure he exists. You just haven’t met yet, that’s all.” Himchan tried to soothe his son with his words, while rubbing his back.

           “How much longer do I have to wait?” Daehyun heaved a sigh in frustration. All of his classmates were already partnered up and even a majority of underclassmen as well. Daehyun was currently going on sixteen, clearly passing his prime matching time. His brother even had a partner already, like most normal students Jongup’s age. At thirteen or fourteen, during a student’s tenth year, it was common to officially pair off with a partner. It was the prime time for most students to realize their most compatible matches, what with hormonal changes and everything. Jongup passed through the stage normally, catching the attention of many, but in the end he met his truest partner in the form of an eighth year student by the name of Junhong. Considering Jongup was a true-male, he had no choice but to wait for birth-givers to approach him.

           On the island, there are two forms of men, those that are considered true-males and those that are called birth-givers. As part of the custom, a true-male and a birth-giver, also known as a birthfather after having a child, paired up once they find their most compatible match. Genetics caused the body to trigger a pheromone when it is within a particular distance of a compatible partner, notifying only those two that their match has been found, leading them to one another unknowingly. In the moment that they find one another, the birth-giver solidifies the match by proposing and accepting the true-male as their partner. It’s rare for a true-male to deny the proposal of a birth-giver. He may only do so if he does not feel the same biological attraction towards him, which hardly ever happens. 

           Honestly, the whole system sounds ridiculous, but it works. The offspring of these matches have shown to always be superior, top grade specimens. The concept “survival of the fittest” has appeared in its greatest form on Virility Island. Years and years before, the creators produced a form of male, expertly manufactured to generate a new population of elites, capable of being considered the highest caliber of human possible. They believed males to be superior, much stronger and smarter within the species of humans. Their only downfall was that they could not survive without the reproduction genes only capable within women, so they created an alternative. The birth-givers were every bit male with the one addition of a female reproductive gene, giving them the ability to bear children. Over the years, they slowly evolved and adapted to the birthing process, with one downfall; they were unable to naturally birth a child, which meant a doctor was needed to extract the child from the womb. However, this small fault did not discourage the creators because high caliber specimens were still being produced and they were going to be the ones who survived and excelled over all other civilizations.

           Currently, they’re in the growing stage. The island community has been around for almost two centuries, perfectly hidden on off of Southeast Asia. Due to their greater knowledge in science, they have developed a dome like masking device, which not only hid their island from outsiders, but also allowed the living circumstances within the dome to remain at an optimal production standard. It almost acted like a greenhouse or incubator for the community. The structure of the dome protected the island from natural disasters and destruction, having been made of an alloy no other scientists could even begin imagine. They were light-years ahead of the rest of the world when it came to intelligence.

           But even with all of the intelligence and scientific backing, Daehyun still felt he was defective. He felt like a failure as a birth-giver, being unable to detect his most compatible partner and thus being unable to assist in the production of higher specimens. Their main goal wasn’t necessarily populating the community, but that was part of being successful. Finding a partner, working towards the greater good of the community, and contributing not only through work and participation, but also by producing offspring were everyone’s goals in life. It was a person’s greatest achievement to supply the community with a child of great promise and potential for a better future and Daehyun wasn’t helping in fulfilling that purpose. Even with all of his success in school, he still felt like a failure.

           “Just be patient,” Yongguk reassured him with a nudge of his elbow. “I’m sure you’ll find him. You’re body is just waiting for the best.”

           Just in time, Jongup appeared releasing the tension within the kitchen. He was also wearing his school uniform. Instead of a blazer, he wore a thin, pale blue sweater over his white button-up shirt, denoting that he was in his tenth year. He would get a darker sweater during his next year. The pinned insignia on his left was black and the profile of a roaring lion’s head, the mane swooping back beautifully. It was a great symbol of strength, perfect for Jongup’s character and abilities.

           “The food smells delicious, Himchan,” he stated, hopping into the remaining seat at the end of the bar beside Yongguk. Himchan grinned naturally at his son’s compliment, always enjoying any form of approval from his children. Jongup went about eating, not being someone of many words. He preferred showing rather than telling, his body being his main form of expression. Some might think of him as being a bit of an idiot, maybe too thickheaded to truly understand the world around him, much less school subjects, but to those closest to him, it was obvious he had an underlying intelligence, an ability to see things differently and in a more complex manner than most. Some might even go as far to say that he lived on a different dimension altogether.

           The family of four finished breakfast with small talk about the end of school and summer plans. Jongup mentioned participating in another endurance program, but Daehyun was still unsure about anything related to his future. He just wanted to get through the last day of school and the final graduation ceremony as painlessly as possible.

           After clearing away their plates, the two students prepared themselves for their trek to school. In the community, public transportation in the forms of buses and taxis were best for long distance traveling across the island. Not many families had personal cars unless they had high standing jobs or large paychecks. Their family just so happened to be one of the few, but the car was rarely used. The last form of transportation other than walking was bicycles, which is what a majority of students used to get around and it was what Daehyun and Jongup used as well.

           No family on the island could be considered poor, some just ranked higher on the social ladder. Every family had an adequate home with food and supplies; none lived without comforts of a good life. Some might think this lack of hardships would pamper the residents of Virility, but they were all expected to pass physical and mental tests on a regular basis, keeping them constantly up to par in the high standards held by the island government. There were a few rules that everyone in the community had to abide by, all for the benefit of their initial cause, which was successfully creating a superior species of human.

           One of those rules weighed down on Daehyun, keeping him apart from others his age. As he made it to the entranceway, backpack already strapped to his shoulders as he tugged his shoes on, Himchan reminded him of it. “Don’t forget your mask, Daehyun.”

           “I know, I know.” Daehyun sighed yet again, loathing the fact that the mask was brought to attention. “It’s in my pocket,” he said pulling out the white, blue-bordered rectangular mask and shaking it out of the ball it had been crushed into when he stuffed the suffocating thing in his pocket as soon as he entered his home the day before. He liked to wear the stifling cloth as little as possible. Placing the elastic loops around his ears and covering the bottom portion of his face, from his eyes down, he mumbled an annoyed, “Satisfied.”

           “Daehyun, if I could, I would get rid of it for you, but it’s one of the communities biggest rules.” Standing before his oldest son, he fixed the disheveled pieces of hair around Daehyun’s ears. “I hate that you have to hide your face from everyone too, but it can’t be helped at the moment.” Finishing with his grooming, Himchan took a step back caressing each side of Daehyun’s face. “You grew up so fast. I remember you always fussed when you were little because you hated wearing it. We kept you home as much as possible so you wouldn’t have to deal with it. I guess that part hasn’t changed.”

           The mask was one of the many symbols found within the community. Children were expected to wear them until they were matched up. It was believed that the face distracted people from finding their true matches. In order to take away the distraction, the mask method was introduced, giving the wearer coverage in public and allowing him to remove it freely when alone or amongst family. Only when a compatible pairing was found could both remove their masks publically. The community even had a ceremonial unmasking ritual, signifying the acceptance of a couple into society, almost like a marriage.

           Daehyun witnessed Jongup and countless friends go through these ceremonies. They were held on the first day of each week, a significant marking of a new beginning. Parties were held afterwards to celebrate the continuation of the community as members praised the next generation.

           The couples could form during school, but were not allowed to leave their family’s home until after graduation and being processed into society as working members. So even though Jongup had found his match in Junhong, he couldn’t officially live with him until Junhong entered society, which meant he had to wait at least two year’s after his own graduation.

           The thought that he may never rid himself of his mask plagued Daehyun. Wearing it was a constant reminder to himself and others in the community that he was well past the expected age of matching. It was an ugly marker reiterating the internal failure he felt towards himself, his family, and the community. More than attending school for the last day, he dreaded the fact that one of his most outstanding moments would be tainted by the appearance of his mask. Because of his outstanding intelligence and ability, he had been asked to give a speech at the final graduation ceremony. The thought of facing the crowd of his peers, community members, and family while wearing the hideous marker had caused him stress for weeks. He didn’t even want to think about it anymore, but with graduation growing closer, the thought forged itself into the front of his mind.

           “We should leave now,” Daehyun said, pulling away from Himchan’s hold, intent on getting the current and next day over with as soon as time would allow.

           “Wait.” Himchan pulled Daehyun in for a quick hug, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “Try to have a good last day, okay?”

           “Yeah, I’ll try,” he replied, resituating his backpack on his shoulders. “Thanks, Himchan.” He lightly patted his birthfather’s face, a small sign of affection between them since Daehyun felt unnatural giving kisses to his parents.

           Himchan turned to give a goodbye hug and kiss to Jongup, also wishing him well for the day. Yongguk simply watched, standing a step behind Himchan the whole time with his arms folded across his chest, probably waiting for his own hug and kiss before he left for the office. He too gave the boys a goodbye, accompanied with a smile and a wave. Daehyun was reluctant to leave home, what with his mask being so noticeable and restricting, but he would rather face the rest of the community than see anything going on between his parents when they’re left alone.

           Daehyun and Jongup biked together for some time, until they got to their regular parting place at a cross road located in front of their favorite food store. They usually stopped by the store after school to meetup and get a snack. Pausing at the intersection, they each placed a foot down to steady themselves. Jongup looked over to Daehyun as always. “Have a good day, bro. If you have any problems, just let me know.” He grinned, eyes squinting shut. “I’ll handle it for you.”

           Laughing, Daehyun shook his head. “No need to worry about me, I can handle anything.”

           “Whatever you say. I’m still here for you, though.”

           “Yeah, yeah. I know.”

           They said their final goodbyes with a tap of their fists as they went their separate ways. For everything that went on in the community and everything that Daehyun had to face, he appreciated the fact that he could count on his family, knowing they would always be there for him, even if he never accomplished anything or failed at being a proper birth-giver. Their presence in his life served as a small reminder that he wasn’t as alone as he felt most of the time, especially considering he hadn’t found his match yet and felt separated from his peers because of his stupid, suffocating mask.

 

 


So there you have it! My first chapter in this new BAP AU.

I hope you are interested and enjoy.

Thanks for reading!

<3 Jae