Chapter Five

Counting Baby Steps

Out of all the girls, Tiffany was considered the most cheerful and bright but lately she has been gloomy. When she was out with Yoona and the other girls, fulfilling her role as a loyal bridesmaid, Tiffany would smile and laugh but everyone could tell that it was forced. Concluding that it was due to her most recent breakup, the girls decided to make it their goal to cheer up their close friend, which is why Tiffany found herself being dragged to the local gym. “Why are we here again?” She questioned, pulling an old t-shirt over her head.

“Because what better place to meet good-looking guys than the gym!” Hyoyeon exclaimed excitedly.

Tiffany pursed her lips. “But I don’t want to meet anyone…”

“Nonsense!” Jessica interjected, while playing with her hair-tie, making sure her hair was perfect. “There’s always time to meet new guys.”

“But I just got out of a relationship. It’s too soon.” Tiffany insisted.

“It’s never too soon.” Jessica replied. “You just need to forget about the idiot and move on. Easy as that.”

Both Tiffany and Hyoyeon shot each other a knowing look. “Is that why you’re so kind to Kevin?” Tiffany said, half-mockingly.

Midway through fixing her hair, Jessica paused, shooting Tiffany an annoyed glare. “I have moved on.” Jessica retorted. “It was way back in high school and it wasn’t even that serious. I don’t give a crap about him.” She said, though it seemed like she was trying to convince herself more than to Tiffany and Hyoyeon.

“Right.” The two simply said, trying their best to hide their growing grins.

“Now remind me, how many dates have you been on lately?” Tiffany asked, smiling innocently at Jessica, which only irked her more.

“Not important.” Jessica muttered, ignoring the laughter her answer had brought. “That is why I am here today.” She added.

Jessica wasn’t someone who frequented gyms when she had free time. Instead she often spent her time shopping and spending money. The only reason she was with them at the gym today was because Tiffany had convinced (blackmailed) her into coming…and she too was also looking for someone. She definitely didn’t want to show up at Yoona’s wedding dateless and looking pitiful.

Tiffany and Hyoyeon giggled behind her, rolling their eyes at they waited for her to finish changing into her workout outfit she had bought months before but had never gotten around to wearing it. “You do realize we’d be exercising and not modeling for some athletic company right?” Hyoyeon teased as she watched Jessica adjust the pink cute headband around her head.

“No you’ll be exercising while I watch on.” Jessica corrected, smiling to herself in the mirror, finally satisfied with her appearance.

“Unbelievable.” Hyoyeon muttered. The special outing had been for Tiffany but now it seemed Jessica was taking over. “We’re here for Tiffany remember?” She reminded, shooting a hard glance at Jessica.

“What?” Jessica said. “This is a gym. There are plenty of boys for each of us.” She stated, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Tiffany laughed. “Don’t worry. I’m just here to workout and to get my mind off of Siwon.”

“You know what would help? Another boy toy.”

Tiffany kindly shook her head. “I think I’m done dating. Every guy I’ve been out with always turns out to be—“

“A dirt bag.” Hyoyeon interrupted.

“A douche.” Jessica added.

While Tiffany wouldn’t have used those exact words since she thought it was harsh, she had to admit that her friends were right. “And what makes you think I’ll be able to find someone here? A place filled with testosterone filled males that only care about their image. It sounds like I would only find people like Siwon here.”

“Oh come on, you’re ruining the mood.” Jessica said. “Let’s just go out there and find out for ourselves if only douche’s come to the gym.”

Tiffany smiled and allowed herself to be pulled along. She just exited the change rooms when her shoulder collided with someone heavy. “Watch it!” Jessica hissed, turning hotly on her heels to glare at the idiot who nearly dislocated Tiffany’s shoulder in his rush towards the locker rooms.

“Oh look who we have here, never thought I’d see you at a gym…ever. Hi to you too my favorite ice princess.” Came a smug voice.

Jessica snarled. “I guess your theory was proven to be correct after all Tiffany.” She stated, her glare intensifying.

Tiffany stood awkwardly as the two exchanged rather venomous looks. Sensing that a fight might break out between the two, Tiffany decided to intervene. “Hey Eli.” She greeted.

Eli nodded back, a small smile gracing his handsome features. "How are you?" He asked. 

Unlike his animosity towards Jessica, Eli got along with the other girls fairly easily. It was only because of Jessica's bitterness towards Kevin did Eli treated Jessica like so. He wasn't going to pretend to be nice if she couldn't either. The other girls didn't mind Eli, he after all was dating Sunny and he made her happy for the most part. 

Tiffany had known Eli since her school days. Like Kevin and Eli, Tiffany was pratically joined to the hip with Jessica. When she had befriended Yoona they had often hung out with the boys and when Kevin and Jessica began dating, they had gotten even closer. They often hung out with each other, their large group often causing trouble. Eli's friends were a mishivious and childish bunch. Add in Yoona, Yuri, and Hyoyeon and they were a bunch that sent people running in the opposite direction. Tiffany can still remember the time Eli had thought it would be funny to fill the gym overheads with jello during the school dance and when everyone was on the dance floor he pulled the nets and dropped gallons and gallons of jello onto the unsuspecting dancers below. Eli and Sunny had warned each of their friends except two. Jessica and Kevin had been one of the many targets that night to the hilarity of Eli. And there was another time when Eli had locked himself in the principal's office and played Wonder Girls throughout the school using the intercom. Most of the pranks were Eli's ideas but Kevin was often blames even though he was mostly innocent. He was like the little brother that got into trouble for no reason. 

Those days had been fun but after Jessica's and Kevin's breakup things weren't the same. Instead sides were made and the immature game of exes began. It has long cooled down after four years but their were still some tension between the two groups, though it was mostly Jessica that liked to stir up trouble to Tiffany's misfortune.

"So what are you girls doing here?" Eli asked, shouldering his gym bag. 

His muscles bulged a the action and Tiffany could see girls already eyeing him as if he was a piece of meat and not a human being. Tiffany rolled her eyes, knowing that even though she was against it, she and the girls were here for the same reason. Eli was like a little brother to her so it was odd seeing girls eye him hungrily even though it has been happening since they were in high school. 

"Just working out." Tiffany answered. 

"Me too."

"Is Kevin here?" Jessica asked, her eyes searching the gym and Tiffany wasn't sure if it was in anticipation or wariness. 

Eli shook his head. "He's at home preparing for our 'special guest'."

Tiffany gave him a questioning look, not knowing if she should know who this 'special guest' was and if she should warn Sunny. Seeing her confused look Eli elaborated. "Taeyeon's niece. Didn't Sunny tell you the goods news?" He said sarcastically a look of displeasure taking over his usual playful features.

A light bulb went off in Tiffany's head. Now she remembered Sunny explaining them her plan in getting Eli to be husband material. They all had their doubts and they all feared for the life of the child. Who knew what Eli would expose to the baby. The last thing a two year old need is a bad influence and Eli was anything but a role model. Prankster, immature, playboy. What had processed Sunny to leave a child with him? The worst thing was, Tiffany wasn't sure who was more insane, Sunny who came up with the idea or Taeyeon for actually agreeing. 

Tiffany let out a deep sigh. While she had come to the gym to brighten up, it only had the opposite effect.

 

~~

Comments are very much appreciated and thank you to all that has been commenting and subscribing. Thank you to my loyal readers and I hope you all have a happy New Years!