Chapter One

Counting Baby Steps

 

Everything was right in the world…or at least it was for Im Yoona. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the sky was as blue as can be, and the diamond ring on her finger was gleaming like a star, which, to be honest, was the real reason behind her huge and silly grin. She was practically glowing as she skipped down the street as she made her way to her usual café. There was no one, man or woman, who could keep their eyes off of her as her flawless beauty was amplified by pure happiness. The moment she stepped through the café doors, all heads turned to look at her but she paid no attention to them, instead she made a beeline to an awaiting male. Her grin never faltered as she wrapped her arms around his neck in greeting, jumping up and down not realizing that her hug soon turned into a death hold. “Ah Yoona.” The man choked. “Can’t breathe.” He stated as he tried to untangle himself from her death grip. 

With an embarrassed laugh, Yoona apologized with a bow. “Mianhe Kevin!” She exclaimed, trying to calm herself down to no avail.

Kevin rose a questioning eyebrow at his best friend who was acting more excited than usual. “What are you so excited about?” Kevin asked. “I know it’s not because I’m here.” He joked.

Frowning slightly, Yoona took her seat from across Kevin. “And what’s that supposed to mean?” She retorted. “I’m always happy to see you.”

Kevin snorted, almost choking on his drink in the process. “Just a few days ago, you nearly crushed my head in with a bat!” He exclaimed, his eyes staring accusingly at Yoona.

Yoona pouted. “Ya! That was one time! And you know why. It was because I was in a state of distraught.”

Kevin rolled his eyes playfully. “Still you tried to kill me for comforting you…” He muttered. “By the way did you find out why Donghae was avoiding you? He was cheating on you wasn’t he? I hope you broke up with him. You want me to have a few words with him?”

Yoona fidgeted in her seat as Kevin mumbled on. “Actually…” She cut in, looking nervously at Kevin. “I did find out why he was being so distant and it turns out…we were completely wrong about him!” She exclaimed sheepishly. “The reason why he was avoiding me was because he was planning this.”

Kevin glanced confusedly at Yoona, not understanding what he should be looking at or seeing. He glanced over Yoona, not seeing anything in particular. “Did you…change your…hair?” He guessed.

Yoona shook her head so Kevin’s eyes continued to search, his eyes wandering down until he spotted the hard-to-miss diamond ring on her finger. His eyes widened in surprise. “W-what?” He stuttered in surprise, his brain slowly registering what it meant, a hundred different emotions raced through his head and not all of them were good.

“I’m getting married!” Yoona cried out with joy, oblivious to Kevin’s stunned reaction. “I must be the happiest girl in the world right now!” She claimed as she jumped excitedly in her seat.

Still bewildered by the news, Kevin was finding it hard to form his words, which made him sound like a fish out of water with his incoherent words. Thinking that Kevin was happy for her, Yoona carried on. “I am so lucky! I’m getting married to the perfect man. He’s charming, kind, handsome, and is such a hard worker. This is like a dream come true.”

As Yoona began to trail off, Kevin sat numbly in his chair, the words coming out of wasn’t reaching his ears. Suddenly Yoona grabbed onto his hands, forcing him out of his daze. Inside he was hurt but when he saw Yoona’s bright eyes, he forced himself to smile. “Con—“ He swallowed thickly, his suddenly dry lips.  “Congratulations.” He said as sincerely as he could, trying his best not to let his true emotions out, which at the moment were anger, confusion and hurt. 

Yoona’s smiled widely at his words and suddenly all his anger vanished. It was only her smile that had that effect on him. “There’s another reason why I called you here.” Yoona said.

“Eh?” Kevin choked out. What more is there to say? Kevin braced himself for more bad news.

“You’re my best friend and we’ve been through so much together so I couldn’t think of anybody else better than you to help me plan my wedding.”

It was like he was slapped in the face, no it was worst, it was like he was just hit by train, actually even that wouldn’t be as painful as he felt right now. “Eh? You want me to help plan your wedding?”

Yoona nodded elatedly.

“Isn’t that usually the bridesmaid’s job?” Kevin questioned, trying to wiggle himself out of the situation without trying to be rude. “And I’m pretty sure you have to be a girl to be a bridesmaid.”

“Oh come on Kevin! I’m asking you for a favor.”

It’s a pretty big favor. Kevin thought to himself as he contemplated on what to do. It would kill him to be so close to her, knowing that he had lost her forever yet if he were to decline, he knew it would hurt Yoona as much as she was hurting him right now and he would never forgive himself for doing that. “I guess…I could…help.” He agreed rather reluctantly, not that Yoona noticed as she leaped out of her seat to give Kevin another death hug.

Kevin let out a deep sigh before returning the hug, savoring the warmth and comfort that he felt in Yoona’s arm before resentfully pulling away.

What am I going to do?

When Kevin returned home, he ignored his roommate’s calls and instead made a beeline to his room where he collapsed face first dejectedly onto his bed. He didn’t pay much heed when his bedroom door creaked open, where his friend Eli cautiously popped his head in. “What’s up? I thought you went to see Yoona.” He said.

“I did.” Kevin muffled into the pillow.

Eli stared quizzically at his friend. “You’re usually happy after you go see Yoona. What’s wrong?”

“Everything.” He whined pathetically but he didn’t care, life wasn’t worth living anymore.

Seeing his friend’s sorry state, Eli invited himself into Kevin’s room. “Alright what’s wrong? The last time I saw you like this is when Jessica dumped your sorry and that hasn’t been since the third year of high school.”

Kevin groaned as yet another painful memory resurfaced. “You at cheering a person up, you know that?”

Eli laughed as he came and stood over Kevin. “Come on, tell me what’s wrong. Did Yoona turn down your confession is that it? That’s why you went to the café right? To tell her how you felt?”

There wasn’t a single thing that Eli didn’t know about Kevin.

“No she did not turn me down.” Kevin lifted his head painfully up from his pillow. “You know why?” Eli shook his head. “Because I didn’t tell her.”

Eli rolled his eyes. “You’re such a wuss! You have to man up and tell her that you’re in love with her!”

Kevin’s eyes narrowed. “I can’t tell her now.” He hissed.

“And why not!?” Eli shouted in exasperation, annoyed at Kevin’s lack of initiative.

“BECAUSE SHE’S GETTING MARRIED!” Kevin exploded in anger, turning to glare heatedly at Eli.

Eli stood frozen his mouth gaped open. “Oh.” Was all he could say, as he was just as surprised as Kevin when he first heard the news. “Yeah, I guess I can see why that may have stopped you.”

Kevin shook his head before burying his face back into his pillow, while Eli stood awkwardly by his side as he tried to find words of comfort but unfortunately for him there just weren’t any words. As a guy there was just one solution for this type of situation. “How about we hit the bar?”

“I can’t. I have to meet Yoona and her friends early tomorrow morning. I have to help plan her wedding.”

Eli threw his hands up in the air in disbelief. “Are you out of your mind!?”

“She’s my best friend and she really wanted my help. What was I going to say? I didn’t want to hurt her.”

Eli closed his eyes, trying to calm himself down by taking deep breaths. “Okay…” He began slowly, trying to keep calm about the recent news. “I know you don’t want to hurt her but what about you? You always worry about others, don’t you ever think about yourself? Don’t you realize how hard it’s going to be? You’re going to be spending a lot of time with Yoona. You’re going to watch her taste cakes, pick out presents, find her dream dress and all that other crap that you have to do for a wedding and in the end she’s marrying another guy. What on Earth possessed you to agree to that?”

Silence fell between the two as Eli’s statement slowly sunk in.

“If Yoona’s happy…then I’ll be happy too.” Kevin stated slowly, not sure if he believed his own words.

Eli nodded, patting Kevin encouragingly on the shoulder before making his way out. “Just be careful okay? You might end up hurting the both of you guys.”  

“If you’re worried that I’m going to sabotage Yoona’s dream wedding I can promise you that I won’t be doing anything like that.”

Eli quietly exited the room. As soon as it was closed he leaned heavily against it. “I know you won’t. You’re not that kind of guy…but sometimes I wish you were. I hate watching you suffer because you put others first.” Eli muttered to himself, shaking his head at his friend.

Across the city, a room full of girls had a completely different atmosphere. There were happy high-pitched squeals and cheers filled the apartment room when Yoona announced her engagement to her eight friends. “Congratulations~congratulations~!” Her friends sang as they danced and jumped excitedly around Yoona.

“I’m so happy for you!” Yuri exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around Yoona.

“You’re so lucky.” Taeyeon chimed in as she opened up a bottle of champagne to celebrate the great news.

“How did he propose?” Tiffany asked, making herself comfortable on the couch. “I bet it was romantic.” She said, leaning dreamily on the armrest.

Yoona blushed, causing the girls to shriek once again. “Seriously you really did find the perfect guy.” Jessica said, half grinning and half pouting.

As glasses of champagne made their way around, Yoona answered all of their questions. By the end of it she was a bit flustered from the wave of questions. Thankfully Taeyeon calmed everyone down by hitting the side of her glass, capturing everyone’s attention. She raised her glass as she turned to face Yoona who had reddened from all the attention. “Congratulations Im Yoona in finding her dream guy. I wish you a happy life and marriage.” She stated.

The others cheered at the toast and raised their glasses up. Yoona wiped after downing the drink. “I have another thing to say.” She said. “I want all eight of you to be my bridesmaids. I hope all of you will accept.”

A chorus of “of course I will” and “it will be my honor” echoed in the room, causing Yoona to smile in appreciation. The girls partied for a little while longer before Yoona reluctantly called the small celebration to a stop. “Come on girls. It’s time for bed. We have to wake up early tomorrow. I told Kevin to come pick us up early so we can go visit the different wedding venues.”

Jessica’s head snapped up. “Kevin? Why’s Kevin tagging along?” She question, looking rather irked.

Yoona pretended to act innocent. “Oh? Didn’t I tell you? I asked Kevin to help plan the wedding since Donghae will be over seas for a couple weeks due to his business meetings.”

Jessica scoffed. “That’s just great.” She muttered sarcastically.

Yoona slapped Jessica’s arm in warning. “Please try to behave. He’s my best friend. It wouldn’t be the same without him by my side. I need him just as much as I need you guys.”

Exhaling deeply, Jessica nodded her head. “Fine. I’ll try not to kill him before the wedding if he means that much to you.”

Sunny raised her eyebrows in amusement. “Oh this should be interesting.”

 

~~~

Aish! This website is starting to irk me. It's a good thing I keep a copy of these chapters. Anyways second chapter should be up in a couple days so please wait patiently and comment while you're here :)