Chapter Four

Counting Baby Steps

“So how was the wedding…stuff?” Eli asked, not really caring for the answer as he shoved a fork full of spaghetti into his mouth.

The couple sat in a popular Italian restaurant in downtown Seoul, famous for their variety of foreign foods. Sunny who was staring out the window in distraction, glanced back at Eli, his question just barely registering in her brain. “Hmm?” She replied absentmindedly.

 Eli raised a questioning eyebrow at her, noticing how distant Sunny has been since he picked her up for their date. He didn’t think of it as much, passing her unusual behavior as stress due to being a bridesmaid. He himself didn’t know the stress behind a wedding, nor the big deal, but he had seen girls lose their heads over such trivial things. "How was the wedding stuff?" Eli repeated, reaching for an uneaten bread on Sunny's plate.

 “It was good.” Sunny answered, pushing her food around her plate with the end of her fork, not really in the mood for food. “We searched a few venues. Yoona ended up choosing Seoul Garden Hotel."

"That place?" Eli scoffed, his face twisted in revolt. "It's so--"

"Perfect." Sunny cut in, rolling her eyes in annoyance, while resisting the urge to kick her boyfriend in the shins...or some place worst. She sighed, shaking her head at Eli's lack of understanding and romance. "Yoona loves flowers, what place is better than the Garden Hotel? Their gardens are the most beautifullest in Seoul. I think it's the perfect place for Yoona." Sunny stated, her eyes gleaming with happiness, not that Eli noticed. " It refects her soul, beauty, innocence, and kindness."

Eli mentally groaned, cursing at himself for asking in the first place now all he wanted was to end the conversation. So Eli nodded, a fake smile spreading across his face as he tried to look interested. "...Sure." 

At his less-than-satisfactory answer, Sunny placed down her fork, her eyes blazing through Eli's with silent rage. "You don't care do you?" She asked pointedly, already knowing the answer but wanting to hear it from his own lips.

Shrugging, Eli leaned back in his chair nonchalantly. He took a moment to think, trying to find the best words to say without hurting Sunny's feelings. "Not...really. No." He ended up saying. 

"But don't you ever think about getting married with kids?" Sunny prodded, inching forward to hear his answer.

Feeling even more uncomfortable at the turn of conversation, Eli scratched the back of his head. "What's wrong with just....leaving how things are?" He said, not realizing how his answer tore at Sunny's heart. "Why do we need rings and some elaborate celebration just to show our love? It's a waste of time, a waste of money, and completely pointless. As long as we're together, isn't that enough? Why do we have to prove ourselves to other people?"

Annoyed even more than ever, Sunny chewed on the inside of her lip, her face showing complete irritation. "It's not just some pointless celebration. Every girl dreams of their wedding day. It's turning a page on your new life, it's about starting and building a new family. It's not about money or showing off." Sunny huffed, her hunger suddenly dissipitating and being replaced by fury.

Sunny did not get angry easily but Eli was doing a wonderful job of testing her patience and if the current conversation wasn't enough to drive her over the edge, Eli's next move was. Eli leaned forward, his eyes concentrated on her uneaten meal. "You going to eat that or can I?"

Fed up, Sunny pushed her plate forward before standing up abruptly, nearly tipping the chair over one the process. Eli stared at up at her, looking confused. "Where are you going?" He asked with a mouth full of food. 

"To the bathroom." Sunny replied hotly. "Or do you have something against that too?"

Eli frowned, not fully understanding Sunny's anger and concluding that it was due to a girl's monthly gift. "Go ahead. A girls gotta go when a girls gotta go."

Resisting the urge to throw up her hands and tug out her hair, Sunny shook her head and quickly headed towards the bathroom, mouthing incoherent words under her breath. Ignoring the strange glances she received as she passed by tables, Sunny all but three open the restroom door and stalked in. She leaned against the sink, staring silently at her reflection as she tried to calm herself. After she stopped seeing red, Sunny reached into her bag and pulled out her cellphone, needing to talk to someone who could understand her situation as Eli was far from being helpful and open-minded. 

"Yoboseyo?"

"This date is horrible." Sunny simply stated into the phone. 

An ajumma-like laugh resounded on the other end of the phone, making Sunny clench the phone in irritation. "This isn't funny Taeyeon! I don't know what to do!"

"Why don't you just dump him?"

Sunny hesitated. She was so angry at Eli at the moment that breaking up didn't sound too much of a bad idea but deep down she knew that she didn't have the heart. 

"I know you won't." Taeyeon added, sounding serious for the first time since she picked up the phone. "You love him don't you?" Sunny didn't answer but both her and Taeyeon knew the answer. "He loves you too." Taeyeon exclaimed, though Sunny couldn't help but doubt her. "He just has a funny way of showing it." She assured. 

"How do you know that?"

"Because I went to the same school as him since middle school and he changes girls like how someone will go through socks. He's a player and you know that but he's been with you for four years. If he didn't feel anything for you he would've dumped you long ago. Eli is the type to keep his feelings to himself. He hasn't been with a girl for so long and it's probably hard for him to express himself clearly. Just give him some time. Things will work out."

It was times like these that Sunny forgot that Taeyeon was the oldest out of all her friends. Sometimes she would act childish and often made the atmosphere lighter with her easy-going attitude but when times were serious, Taeyeon would transform into an all-knowing and comforting friend. It was what made her Sunny's best friend. Taeyeon was someone Sunny, and anyone, could count on for help. 

Sunny took a few seconds to digest the information. It was true that when Eli was done playing around with a girl he would end things before the relationship turned serious. Taeyeon was right. She has been together with Eli longer than anyone thought possible. 

It was now that Sunny promised herself to change Eli. Thinking back to the morning, Kevin did say that if she could get Eli to lighten up to the idea of marriage and family than he wouldn't mind one of his own. Grinning to herself, Sunny swore that she will be the one to transform Eli into a family man and she knew exactly where to start. 

"Hey Taengoo, you said your niece was coming to stay with us for a little while right?"

Not knowing where the conversation was going, Taeyeon frowned. "Yes..."

"Remind me again, how old is she?"

Moment later Sunny walked out of the restroom with a grin on her face and ten times more happier and determined than when she first entered. Eli glanced questioningly up at her, puzzled at her sudden change in moods. "Is everything alright?"

Sunny smiled widely. "Yes. Everything will be fine, eventually."

Her mischievous grin and last comment made Eli uncomfortable. He fidgeted in his seat, a sense of dread slowly overcoming him. He knew that whatever crazy plan Sunny was concochting it wasn't going to be good.

Kevin was startled when the door slammed shut with a loud bang. Fearfully, he peeked his head out of his room. "Eli? Is that you?" He called out. 

There was no answer and it felt like deja vu. "Eli? Are you--"

"What did you tell Sunny!" Eli shouted, appearing in front of Kevin so suddenly causing him to stumble back in fright. 

Kevin was confused. "I have no idea what you're talking about." He claimed. 

Eli's eyes narrowed, glaring pointedly at Kevin. "Sunny told me it was your idea! Don't you know that you're practically digging me a grave?"

"What on earth are you talkin about? What idea?"

Eli threw his hands up in frustration before pointing an accusing finger at him. "Your genius idea that apparently involves me playing babysitter for some two year old brat!"

Kevin was speechless. "W-what?" He stuttered out. 

"You heard right. I now have to babysit some annoying kid for the next couple of weeks. You happy?"

Kevin groaned inwardly. Sunny does come up with the most craziest ideas. No one in the right mind would leave Eli and a baby together. Only havoc and chaos will ensue.

Why were girls so complicated? 

Like it wasn't enough dealing with an ex-girlfriend, a girl that he loves being married away but now he had to deal with his best friends overzealant girlfriend? Kevin banged his head against the doorframe. Now he remembered what he was trying to warn Eli about but now it was far too late. "Eli--"

"Like hell I'm going to take care of a baby."

"it's just for a couple weeks. No harm done. If you do it successfully maybe it'll get Sunny off your back."

Eli opened his mouth to retort back how ridiculous it was but stopped himself short. If he did manage to pull it off maybe it'll get Sunny to stop complaining about marriage and all that other crap. "Fine." He hissed. "But I'm not doing it alone. You're helping me since you dragged us into this mess."

Awesome. Another thing to add to Kevin's list of growing worries. It wouldn't be too long before he went bald from stress. 

Just awesome. 

 

 

~~

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! As promised I have finally updated! Hope it was to your liking heehee. I'll try to keep updating frequently since I am on break and have nothing better to do.