I Knew T.O.P Had A Sense Of Humor, I Just Didn't Think I'd Be The Joke

Second Time Around

“I’m sorry Mr. Conner, but I must decline your offer.”

“Decline?” T.O.P asked. “What is decline?”

I shifted in my seat totally annoyed with him and myself. Don’t try and be all cute with that confused pout and English vocabulary lesson bit.

“Decline means not to accept, or to think about it?” Mr. Conner explained.

“It means no!” I snapped. “Now if you’ll excuse me I have a pool to clean.”

“I’m sorry Devon, if you do not accept this offer, your position at the hotel will be terminated” Mr. Conner said folding his hands together.

                I sat a little straighter in my seat before I turned to glare at T.O.P. This was all his doing! Didn’t he remember my personality at all?! Giving me an ultimatum was not going to win me over! I took out my badge and pool keys and threw them lightly on the table.

“Fine. Thank you for your time” I said getting up to leave the room but T.O.P’s hand caught my wrist.

“If you fire her I can guarantee BIGBANG’s removal from this hotel.”

                I took my arm away from his grasp no longer being able to take the familiar jolts of electricity he was sending throughout my body.

“But she’s quitting! Surely you can’t hold me responsible for that!”

“She leaves, BIGBANG will follow” he threatened the both of us.

“Devon, wait” Mr. Conner said a little anxious turning to T.O.P. “Do you know how much money BIGBANG is bringing to this hotel? You all are scheduled to stay here at least two months…in the Penthouse suit none the less. You’ve only been here for a week and a half!”

“Then find a way to get her to stay” he said unfeeling.

“And work for him?” I said jerking my thumb to T.O.P.

“Take the rest of the day off to think about it…we’ll negotiate it tomorrow” Mr. Conner pleaded.

“I’m telling you right now Mr. Conner, if I take this job I’m talking about a pretty good raise-”

“We’ll discuss it tomorrow” he said cutting me off. “You're dismissed.”

                I left the room feeling T.O.P right on my heels. I wasn’t stopping for anything, I had to get out of there as quickly as possible. I appreciated him not stopping me or following me out to my car; not that he had a dream of catching me. I was already beginning to make my way home.

“Unbelievable!”

                What was he thinking?! Forcing me to work for him? He was tugging on my inner fan-girl; he knew that offering me this job was a once in a lifetime opportunity! He just loved dangling these types of situations in front of my face. And just like always I was going to be stupid enough to take it. But if we were gonna play this game, we were going to play on my terms; and unfortunately for the hotel I was going to be expensive.

“I’m home” I said stepping through the door of my house. 

“How was work today? Did you see T.O.P?” My mother asked excitedly; not even giving me a chance to answer. “You know, T.O.P is really good at what he does. I can see why you like him.”

My face relaxed into a scowl beginning to recognize the music playing in the background. “I thought you didn’t like this stuff?” I said shutting off the iHome that was softly playing T.O.P’s Oh Mom.

“He’s growing on me” she smiled turning her back to me to face the kitchen sink. “T.O.P is a person you have to experience in person in order to fully appreciate him.”

                Who was this woman? And what had she done to my mother? My mom! The one who thought that my silly hopes and dreams about T.O.P were just a weak fantasy. She was beginning to turn into the president of his fan club, and there was nothing I could do about it. Instead of getting even more upset I went upstairs to change my clothes. Could I not get away from this guy? Was I doomed to forever be reminded of his imprint on my life?

“Devon!” My mom called to me. “Do me a favor and put in a load of clothes for me in the wash?”

“Yes ma’m” I answer easy.

                I began dragging the clothes to the basement, turning on the washing machine in order to separate the clothes. I was pulling out another load of laundry from the dryer when I heard my mom talking to some familiar voices.

“Hi, does Devon Ashford live here?” I heard a slight accent on one voice ask.

                My ears perked up before straining to hear an exchange of words. My mother was ushering in the voices and directing them to go downstairs in the basement where I was. Two sets of feet were pounding there way down the steps in order to find me. It was Teddy and Taeyang.

“Found you!” Taeyang smiled. “You can’t escape.”

I rolled my eyes before continuing to put in more laundry. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Don’t be such an idiot, you know we came to see you” Teddy teased.

“I got that part, but why?” I said a little cold. “I thought I made it clear-”

“Well, it doesn’t matter” Taeyang said firm. “If I want to see you, I will.”

                The way he was looking at me was tear-jerking. He was determined to keep our friendship alive, no matter how much I wanted to push it to the side. Both he and Teddy made it clear that they weren’t going anywhere. I finished putting in the clothes and led them to the den before turning on the television sitting on the couch. They each surprised me by sitting directly next to me; Taeyang situated himself so that I was leaning on him with my head resting on his shoulder while Teddy took my legs allowing them to drape comfortably across his lap.

“You guys are going to spoil me” I smiled resting into Taeyang’s shoulder. He surprised me by taking one of his arms wrapping me in a hold.

He worked his arm around my neck. “It’s only so you can’t run” he laughed before relaxing the arm. “Now what happened?”

“What don’t you know?” I sigh heavily.

“You're side of this” Teddy says.

“Why do we have to talk about it?” I whine.

“Because I want to know” Teddy challenges. “How can I fix it if I don’t know the problem?”

“I don’t want you to fix it” I say quietly. “Things are exactly the way they’re supposed to be.”

“You want things to stay like this? Because you both seem miserable.” Taeyang answers honestly.

“It’s my fault” I explain. “He has every right to be mad at me and I totally understand that, but he read my letters-”

“Why didn’t you just send them?” Teddy asks frustrated. “Like we could’ve avoided so much had you just-”

“I had no right to send them-”

“But he had every right to read them” Teddy snapped. “Do you know how hard it was for him to let you be with-”

“Stop” I growl. “I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Then you shouldn’t be upset with him” Teddy says. “If you're not willing to talk it out, you have no reason to-”

“I have no reason?” My tone raised slightly. “He stole my letters!”

“Technically Paije gave them to him” Taeyang defended.

“I’m not upset with him for the reasons you think” I confessed. “I just want my letters back.”

“So you're okay with the argument?” Teddy asked. “He yelled at you and that’s the part you're okay with?”

“What he said to me hurt a lot but-

“But what?” Taeyang asked.

“I feel awful about it.” I admitted. “I had no idea that I had hurt him like that…I didn’t know he cared for me that much.”

“You’re kidding right?” Teddy laughed.

“What part hurt the most?” Taeyang said softly.

I took in a deep breath, finding the part that crumbled my heart into pieces. “‘The sight of you pains me. You make me feel horrible inside. You are not the same warm person I knew before but you have become this heartless creature who torments whoever she comes in contact with.’”

                I could already feel myself beginning to tear up. It wasn’t the words that hurt but the passion and hatred behind them. He was so angry with me that the very sight of me made him feel terrible inside. Do you know how devastating those words can be to a person when T.O.P is their ultimate bias, let alone the man you potentially could’ve spent the rest of your life with.

“I can’t believe he said that” Teddy said slowly.

“But he’s changed his mind! So what’s the problem now?” Taeyang asked.

I shook my head. “He’s a jerk who won’t leave me alone! I could get over it if I didn’t have to see him so much but every time I do, I just see all the pain I’ve caused him”

“So that’s why you won’t take the job?” Taeyang asked.

“No I’m taking that job! But if I have to suffer the hotel is going to make it worthwhile.”

[NEXT DAY]

“I want $20,000” I say in the most serious voice I own.

                It doesn’t do any good, Mr. Conner still laughs.

“Come now Devon” he laughs harder. “Let’s stay reasonable.”

“I am” I answer firmly. “$20,000 is what it will take for me to accept the position…take it or leave it.”

“How is this rational?” Mr. Conner said still smiling. “That amount of money for an assistance position? That’s unheard of…”

“Possibly, but unlike you I know the full extent of their schedules hence my extra charges.” I say business like folding my hands in my lap. “It’s not like I’m asking that amount to clean out the filter at the pool. If I’m to be their assistant I will be accompanying them to interviews, studio recordings, dance rehearsals, fittings and costume changes, not to mention their upcoming concerts in LA and New York. There are guaranteed to be some nights when I won’t even see sleep!”

                Mr. Conner looked over whelmed with my explanation but I just continued.

“Not to mention the fact that because they are staying in the Penthouse, which runs anywhere from 12-14,000 dollars per night” I paused. “My request doesn’t seem outlandish seeing as how you could pay me off in two nights at the most.”

                He was thinking about it, seeing how I was making sense.

“Now that I think about it…maybe I should increase it-”

“Twenty is fine Ms. Ashford” he said through gritted teeth.

“Yes I thought so” I smiled sweetly as he began writing out a check for ten thousand.

“Half now…half at completion. And for twenty thousand dollars, I don’t want to hear a single complaint! One ill report and you’ll be back at the pool picking out bugs from the filter.”

                I felt the smile disappear from my face, but I nodded receiving the check making my way to the penthouse. The time spent in the elevator is used to collect myself for this challenge. I’m smoothing out the lilac button down shirt tucked into a pair of black dress pants. My hair is in a high ponytail with a slight pompadour making my entire outfit seem more dressy than it really is. I’m checking my makeup in the elevator reflection, and I seem relaxed and put together instead of falling apart like I feel on the inside. The doors slide open and I see Sim Sunbae sitting at the end of the hallway flipping through a magazine.

I duck my head low to him before apologizing. “I’m sorry Sunbae, I hope I didn’t hurt you.”

                Looking at his large physique practically swallowing the fold out chair, my guess is I haven’t damaged him at all. He waves his hand in front of my face, causing me to stop talking. He nods a smile before opening the door to let me in. I'm walking in the suite to find Daesung and GD on the couch playing video games.

“Devon!” Daesung exclaims. “You changed your mind! That’s so good!” He smiles sweetly.

“Yeah I did…is there anything I can get you?” I say trying to sound professional instead of depressed.

“No we’re fine-”

“A hot towel” GD commands pointing to a small steaming station. I nod going to get it, bringing it back to him. He takes it from me inspecting it breaking into a grin. “I’m just teasing you.”

I pick up a pillow and hit him lightly. “Don’t! It’s my job.”

“Ani…this is your job” Daesung says handing me a Hilton binder with a printed itinerary.

“You're not serious” I say looking over this schedule. “This isn’t real?! This can’t be what I’m being paid to do.”

                The words “Day With T.O.P” are printed at the top before going into brief detail about what I’m doing today.

9:15 Wake Up T.O.P

9:45 Breakfast with T.O.P

10:45 Costume Fitting with T.O.P

11:45 Vogue Photo-shoot

1:15 Shopping

3:00 Lunch with T.O.P

5:00 Studio with Teddy

7:00 BIGBANG Dance Rehearsal

11:00 Night-Time Talk

1:00 Devon Goes Home

“Very funny…but seriously where is my real schedule” I warn them as they continue to laugh in whispers. “Never mind, I’ll go ask him myself.”

“Yah! It’s not 9:15 yet!” GD laughs.

                I’m marching up the steps to his room before pounding on the door. I feel like I’m about to kick it down when it finally opens and a shirtless T.O.P is revealed to me. I shut my eyes immediately.

“What is this?” I say waving the piece of paper in front of him.

“You see?” He says; and even with eyes closed I can tell he’s smiling.“I knew you’d change your mind.”

“This schedule can’t be real! I’m just following you around!” I say refusing to open my eyes.

“I made your wish come true” I hear him smile a little bigger. “Your welcome.”

                My eyes open and narrow as my nostrils flare. He is lying back on the pillow covering up his head with the blanket. I have a choice. I can choose to return the check with that incredible bonus and just walk away or I can it up and not try to get distracted by his charms…

“You need to wake up” I growl defeated. “Breakfast begins at 9:45 and you will not be late.”

“I’m not ready to wake up” he sings happily trying to fall back to sleep.

“Well, seeing as how you’re the slowest member to get ready you should’ve been up an hour ago. Either way, you need to get up…now!” I practically shout.

He rolls over to look at me lovingly before obeying.

“Don’t dress so outlandish, wear something comfortable; you have a fitting at ten fifteen and then your photo-shoot directly after” I say completely professional. “Even if this is a joke to you, it’s still my on the line.”

                I leave his room heading back down the stairs to find members of BIGBANG sitting around eating cereal. They offer me some and I sit down only taking a few mouthfuls.  T.O.P eventually comes down wearing a fitted t-shirt and jogging pants and a beanie hat. This is the most comfortable outfit I’ve seen him in. He smiles at me sitting across from me and I don’t return it going back to my to fake schedule. He’s got me spending the entire day with him with only a few breaks in between with the other members.

“Is my schedule going to be like this everyday?”

“What do you mean?” Seungri asks before taking a bite.

“Will I get to spend time with the rest of you…or just T.O.P?”

“It depends” T.O.P answers.

“On?” I hedge.

“Who needs you” he answers continuing to eat.

“Well who needs me tomorrow?”

“T.O.P” everyone else answers almost smiling.

“Will no one save me?!” I look to the rest of the members for help. “Seriously?!”

“Aww we’ll give you a break…eventually” GD smiles.

“Sooner than you think” Teddy promises.

“In the mean time…we outtie!” Taeyang says getting up from the table taking Seungri and GD with him.

“So…Devon” Daesung begins slowly. “Have you heard from Paije today?”

                A small blush is starting to form on his face and it takes all that I have not to start spazzing out. And the fact that he’s blushing over my best friend is just the icing on the cake.

“Not today, but you can always check the gallery” I say trying to drop a casual hint.

                He nods finishing his cereal before going disappearing into one of the rooms in the back. I’m checking the clock and it’s just now 10:00.

“We should go soon, are you almost done?”

T.O.P nods and pushes himself away from the table. “Let me get my phone.”

                I nod taking another bite of my cereal as T.O.P disappears back up the steps to his room.

“You’ll be okay?” Teddy asks.

“I think so…I only have to keep it together until five; it’ll get easier when we’re at the studio” I say this more for my benefit than I do for him.

“Yeah, he won’t try to win you over as much when I’m there” Teddy says and I find comfort in that. “I gotta get going…keep it professional and you’ll be fine. I’ll catch you later”

“Later” I smile when Teddy leaves as T.O.P is descending down the steps.

“Ready?” He smiles.

“Hurry up we’ll be late!” I say practically pushing him out of the door of the suite.

                I keep the walk down the hallway brisk and quiet. I’m pushing the elevator button impatiently and when it opens up we step in together. I push the button for the lobby and step as far away from him as possible to a corner of the tiny elevator. He ducks his head down and laughs as I’m focusing on taking slow even breaths. I swear this elevator is moving slowly on purpose, and seeing how he’s so eager for us to talk I’m half expecting the elevator to get stuck. When the doors open up I’m practically kissing the floor of the lobby before heading out to the entrance to meet the driver. The driver goes to open the door but T.O.P races ahead to open it for me.

“Thank you” I say curt easing into one side of the car; he slides in beside me and the brief contact is enough to make my face flush with heat.

                Thank God for my dark complexion; it can’t give away half of the emotions I keep open on my face. My expressions however need more control; I react to quickly for my own good. Any one paying attention can see that I’m clearly nervous, flustered and on the break of squealing my head off at my opportunity. Therefore, I know T.O.P clearly sees how much affect he has on me. We both can feel the tension in the car, even the driver is checking his rearview mirror more than necessary.

He puts a hand on my knee and shakes my leg lightly. “Relax…I’m not going to ask you anything this early in the morning.”

“Don’t worry, I’m won’t answer no matter what time you ask” I say crossing my leg taking his hand off of my knee.

                In a few more turns we’ll be going under the tunnel taking us to the City. I’m suddenly reminded of the trip Hyun Joong and Seung Gi planned for Paije and I all those years ago. I begin to smile thinking of them.

“Your smile” he says brooding me. “I’ve missed it.”

                I feel my stomach clamp itself to my bones bracing myself for the familiar rollercoaster ride I feel throughout my body. I purse my lips to keep from smiling even bigger just to appease him; I can’t afford to give him what he asks for. I need to break that habit my fan-girl has trapped me in.

“Take a picture it will last longer” I say focusing on the drive.

                I open up my schedule looking at the clock seeing that it’s only 10:15. The car ride is becoming awkward with him staring at me hoping for a break in my wall; I reinforce it by talking about the agenda.

“So, your costume fitting-”

“Yes?” He cuts off noticing how I’ve started the conversation.

“Is this for the concerts? Or is this for a new ad campaign?”

“The concerts, I’m not sure what I want to wear.”

“Oh” I answer looking over the schedule. “So is that why we’re going shopping later?”

“Ah yes” he smiles. “That is for you.”

“Me?” I ask confused. “Why do I have to go shopping.”

“You need to-”

“My style is perfectly fine thank you very much” I cut him off.

“Not for this” he retorted. “You need to look a certain way, and buttoned blouses and black pants won’t work every day.”

I’m looking at him and he’s returning the same heated defiant stare. “I just love how you’re the one giving me style advice.”

“Why not? I’m quite stylish” he says offended.

“No…GD is stylish, you’re the one everyone holds their breath for” I almost laugh but I catch myself.

“Because I’m so beautiful” he smirks the smirk that can make me flail in a heartbeat.

And at that I’m laughing. “Because we don’t know what crazy outfit your going to come out with next. Just once could you keep a concept simple and classic?”

“What like this?” He’s gesturing to his outfit.

                I’m practically salivating at the simple gesture. T.O.P’s long and beautifully lanky arms are just relaxed against his body with his Adidas sweat pants; that somehow remind me of Bi Rain’s practice videos, just not as filled out. His beanie hat is pulled down low almost to his ears but I can still see the honey brown color in the front giving him a slight bang. 

“Yes” I answer stopping myself before I insult or flatter him even further.

                We’re already on the outskirts of the city and in a few more minutes later we’re stopping in front of a tall brick building. The driver opens the door for T.O.P and I get out on his side before following him in. The revolving doors usher the two of us into the lobby of the building and we walk to the receptionist desk. I stay absolutely silent as T.O.P explains his reasons for the appointment. I follow him quietly past rows of cubicle desks before making our way to an open area.

“Sit over there and wait for me” T.O.P orders with out trying to make it a direct demand.

“Okay” I say trying to bring less attention to myself.

                I go over to sit in one of the comfortable couches. I swear this feels like when my dad would bring me to his work and sit me in a corner and have me color. It’s pretty much the exact same thing waiting for T.O.P, except instead of a coloring book I’ve got a cell phone. I’m watching people buzz around with different outfits and backdrops. Stylists and models are rushing by me giving me quick but polite smiles before continuing to go about their day. I’m only catching glimpses of T.O.P dressed in multi-colored scarves with solid clothing.

Anneyong” a small girl with a short blonde bob nods to me.

Anneyong” I bow nervously; hopefully my Korean isn’t as limited as it once was.

Seunghyun-ssi said to check on you?”

“Oh?” I say searching my brain for Korean words. “Gomawo.

She smiles realizing how limited my speech is. “I’ll come back later? Okay?”

Neh…can you tell him we…uhm… have another place to be at, at 11:45?

“Sure no problem” She smiles turning away.

                My first Korean conversation in at least 6 or 7 months and I’m still able to be somewhat coherent…I swear Hyun Joong is the best teacher ever. I go back to playing solitaire on my cell phone as I’m waiting for him.

You speak Korean now?” The familiar deep smooth voice says next to me.

“Only a little” I say standup and stretch. “This doesn’t mean you can order me around in Korean.”

“What better way to practice?” He smiles.

                He’s just gorgeous, and I can feel myself going weak at the knees. I can’t afford to faint, especially with all of these strangers around; not to mention we have a schedule to keep.

“I don’t want to practice.”

                He shrugs his shoulders and motions for me to follow him. We’re exiting the building and instead of going to the car he grabs my hand and leads me down a sidewalk that will eventually take us into the city.

“Can you please let me go?” I somehow manage to say normally, even with the constant chills running up my arm.

He tightens his hold tenderly around my hand interlocking our fingers. “Do you really want me too?”

                Everything within me is shouting “NO” but I know I’ll just be hurting him more if I let this continue. So I slowly untangle my hand from his grip and follow him silently.

~~~~

okay so, this is only the first part of Devon's first day as T.O.P's assistant. thank you so much for being patient! For those of you who read Jung Joong ME hopefully i will update that one today as well...(my deepest apologies for not giving you an update since august) uhm...comments as always are much appreciated TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!! please i love reading your comments; be specific, if you want to see more of a certain thing let me know...much love pce!