Unwanted. Unloved.

The Porcelain Heart

I heard him open the door. Even if I wasn’t able to see him, there was no way it was someone different. He came every morning at exactly 6 o’clock, opening the door energetic as if every single day was a new adventure. After cleaning his black boots at the entrance he would always turn on the small light in the back, move over to the windows and open the dusty, old, red curtains.; letting the bright light of the sun fill the room.

“Good morning beautiful, what a nice day, right?” It was his ritual, he always greeted us this way, but no one ever greeted back or answered him.

Because we can’t.

We’re wanted. We make kids laugh, or cry and people stare at our beauty. We always smile and never show our real feelings.

We are dolls, beautiful and scary in our own way.

So am I a doll, left counter, third row, the one with the sky-blue dress.  I’m here since a very long time, I saw new dolls coming and leaving, but never did someone pick me. Maybe no one ever picked me because of my age; I’m pretty old, about thirty years. The kids don’t want me, I’m a little dusty and I don’t have freaky clothes and crazy hair like the new dolls.

Once the owner brought a doll called Minji, she was very new and wore skinny, black jeans with a multi-colored top and a leather jacket. The kids totally freaked out when they saw her. Since then the kids don’t want dresses anymore the want dolls that look like stars in films.

The doll Minji is now available in five different outfits, plus some extra clothes and accessories.  No one is interested in the brown haired doll in the sky-blue dress.

Sometimes I’d like to be a human. Able to cry, to express myself how it feels to be left over, to just walk out of this small building and never come back. But I am a doll, I have to smile and wait until someone likes me. 

 

The owner walks through the shelves, like every morning, puts us into the perfect position; smoothing out some wrinkles of our dresses and clothes, smiling at each one of us and sometimes he talks to us too. And today he stops at my shelve, looks at me and sighs. “Oh Bom, how I wish you would find someone who likes you. You’re such a wonderful doll, I can’t understand these kids.” I wish I could answer him, thank him for his words of, but I just smile. The owner continues to walk and I just stare into the nothingness.

The time passes and the store fills with costumers, they are happily talking to each other, pointing at dolls and cheering about new presents. When they see me they usually don’t stop and if they stop by it’s always the same. “Oh look mommy, this doll is so pretty! Look at her nice dress and her beautiful hair.” Every time I hear these words I pray that their parents allow their kids to have me, but it’s always the same answer. “I’m sorry dear, but this doll is so old you would probably just break it. And also it’s a porcelain doll, you can’t play with it.” The kids would be disappointed and I would always want to cry.

And today is not a different day, no one buys me, no one loves me, no one wants me. Even if I got used to it, it still hurts. So I drift into my own thoughts, dreaming about a live as a human, free and able to show feelings.

The store is almost empty and it’s time to close when a red haired man appears in the door frame. I can hear him talking to the owner; he wants to have a doll, an old one. Even if dolls maybe don’t have a heart it felt like something in my chest was beating so rapidly. “Please, please pick me.” I plead, of course he can’t hear me but still I don’t stop pleading.

The owner shows him around, showing him the old dolls he has; I try to watch him as much as it’s possible for me. He is not very tall but nor is he small, he seems just normal. Wearing a school uniform and a backpack, the only special thing about him, his fiery red hair. When they reach my shelve I feel so nervous, his eyes meet mine and if I was a human I would probably have blushed. His stare is intense, but there is a sparkling in his eyes when he reaches out for me, that makes me feel so happy.  “This one is very beautiful! How much is it?” My heart leaped at his words.

He wants me. He really wants me.

The owner smiled and put a hand on the boys shoulder. “You can have her for free. She has been staying here for such a long time. I just want her to be happy.” The boy smiled happily and pulled me closer. I could feel his warm chest against my plain skin, it was the best feeling I’ve ever had.

“Her name is Bom, be very careful with her. She is very special!” The boy nodded, not letting his eyes leave mine. “Hey Bom, I’m Jiyong. Nice to meet you, I’m going to be your new owner”, I didn’t care about anything the two man talked about; the only thing that mattered was that I was his. He was my new owner. He loved me the way I am.

 

 

Jiyong left the shop his arms around me, the smile never leaving his face.

 


Awww end!

I was really thinking about if I will add another chapter....so I'm not going to mark this story as complete.

Leo