Chapter Eleven

Upon These Stormy Seas

“Soojin! Soojin!”

Panic and the overwhelming need to find his sister were the only things he could process. There was blood everywhere. The sand was stained crimson. Mutilated bodies of birds, lizards, small animals and fish covered the once pristine shore. Even the water slapping against the sand was stained. What happened?

In the middle of all the carnage laid Soojin. He ran to her as fast as he could, screaming for his mother and father and praying that his sister wasn’t hurt.

Blood painted a grotesque portrait on his bare feet and up his legs. He didn’t care. Skidding to a halt, he fell to his knees and pulled his sister into his arms. She was white like sun bleached bone. Her eyes danced chaotically beneath her closed eyelids. Her head lolled against his shoulder like a ragdoll.

“SOOJIN! Please be okay. Please…” He pleaded until his voice went hoarse. He didn’t even notice the arrival of his fear-stricken parents until his father’s gentle hands were brushing over his sister’s pale face.

“Abba, what’s wrong with her? Make her wake up!”

A quick glance at his parents made his heart constrict painfully. Tears were streaming down his mother’s face. He’d never seen her cry before and the sight made him feel like he’d fallen into a terrifying parallel universe. There was uncertainty and dread clouding his father’s usually cheerful expression. Something was incredibly wrong. He was reminded of all the worried late night conversations that he’d overheard from his parents. Was this the reason why they were so scared to leave his sister alone? But what was this?

His father crouched over Soojin protectively and began chanting vaguely familiar words in a rushed manner. Entranced, he watched as a golden light seemed to emanate from his sister’s skin starting at the crown of her dark hair and journeying down to the tips of her dirty feet.

His held his breath in anticipation when Soojin’s eyes fluttered open slowly. She coughed viciously and then hastily sat up and looked around as if searching for something.

“Darling, what happened? Are you feeling alright? You should rest.” His mother tried to ease her back down, but his sister resolutely stood up with a deep frown and tears gathering in her eyes.

Her lower lip trembled when she spoke. “Jiyong-oppa is gone.”

Seunghyun woke up in a daze. There was pain everywhere. Intense aches left him slightly breathless and gasping as spasms in his stomach alerted him to the fact that he was about to puke up his breakfast. He rolled onto his side and emptied the contents of his gut while shaking from the throbbing all over his body.

Exhausted even though he’d just woken up, he slumped on to the floor carefully to avoid the puddle beside him. His arms were still cuffed behind his back and his feet were still tied together. The hard floor was cold against his bare skin. As soon as he realized that he was shirtless an indescribable panic consumed him. He wasn’t sure why but he knew instinctively that he was never supposed to have his back exposed in public.

Seunghyun cautiously peeled his eyes open and tried to get a look at his wounds. He was amazed to find that most of his cuts had not only stopped bleeding but were also nearly healed leaving only pink scabs in their place. To say that the dark haired man was confused would have been an understatement. His muscles hurt but now that he thought about it the aches seemed to be dulling slightly. Dried patches of blood were scattered about his flesh but he looked a lot worse than he actually felt.

What the hell?

A loud thud from somewhere above him had Seunghyun cringing. With his eyes tightly screwed shut a piece of his dream floated back to him.

“Soojin…” The sound of the name spoken out loud caused his heart to squeeze in his chest with a protective urge that left him ready to fight off a lion if necessary, but no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t remember who the person was that the name belonged to.

He groaned pitifully and tried to sit up. Seunghyun blinked back the fuzziness from his vision and took in his surroundings. There was a single overhead light that let off an annoying hum and lent a greenish hue to everything. The other side of the room was completely black, but Seunghyun thought that the door was more than likely located in that direction. Empty ramen packets and soju bottles dotted the floor around him along with a few cardboard boxes and a raggedy old bed.

Footsteps could be heard running toward him. Were those s coming back for round two? Seunghyun would not allow himself to be assaulted again; he had to get back to the Big Bang and check on his friends. Check on Jiyong.

Steeling himself, he staggered to his feet and hopped to the dark side of the room. He turned his back and felt along the wall until he found the door. The dark haired man anxiously bit at his lip as the footsteps got closer and closer. He twisted his arms in an uncomfortable way until he was able to pull the small tools from his pocket. Shaking fingers fumbled with them messily until a tell-tale click signaled his success—he’d decided that he must have been cat burglar before he lost his memories because he was entirely too skilled at picking locks to be an amateur.  He choked back his cry of triumph and hastily reached down to untie his legs and then held the rope tightly.

Taking a deep breath to steady him, Seunghyun prepared to do whatever needed to be done in order to get back to where he belonged.

The door swung outward and bright lit filtered into the room. A well-dressed man peeked his head in cautiously and Seunghyun took his chance. He darted forward and wrapped the rope around the man’s throat from behind.

“Let me go or I will kill you,” Seunghyun hissed in a gravelly voice. The man slapped ineffectually at his hands. When he only tightened his grip on the rope in response, the man choked out a gasp and angrily stomped on Seunghyun’s foot. In the split second that Seunghyun lost his focus the man took advantage and grabbed a hold of his arms and flung him over his head. Seunghyun landed painfully on his back on the floor with an ‘oof.’

He glared up at the man hatefully. The man merely huffed and held him down with a foot upon his chest.

“Is that any way to greet your savior? I should just leave you here you ungrateful brat.”

“What?” He responded brilliantly. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. The man laughed and held out a hand to help him to his feet.

“I guess you’re worse off than I heard.” Patting Seunghyun’s back companionably as if they hadn’t just tried to kill each other, the man introduced himself. “I’m Choi Dongwook. You might not remember me, but I’m something of a friend to you. A distant relative even.”

Seunghyun stepped away wearily. He wasn’t sure if he should believe this person. Without his memories there was no way for him to be sure whether or not he was telling the truth. The hesitancy must have been clear on his face because the man laughed again and tugged a worn green cloth wallet from his back pocket and held it open for inspection.

“See? I’m telling the truth.”

And he was. Not only did his id card reaffirm that his name was in fact Choi Dongwook, but the wallet sized photograph that he pulled out clearly showed the two of them around a bonfire. The guy was holding the picture in an odd way with his thumb strategically placed over the left half and blocking part of Seunghyun’s body. Seunghyun leaned in closer feigning contemplation and then as fast as lightning snatched the photo away.

His heart raced furiously, his mouth running dry, and he almost dropped the thing in shock. Although the picture sort of explained everything that he’d been questioning for days, it really didn’t help him at all.

In it Seungri, Daesung and Taeyang were sitting on logs on the left side of the fire having a sword fight with marshmallow laden sticks. On the other side of the fire Dongwook was pointing to something in the sky with Seunghyun staring in the same direction. But beside Seunghyun was Jiyong who had somehow managed to lie down on the log and rest his head in Seunghyun’s lap while gazing up at him with a love-struck expression. Their fingers were intertwined where they were placed upon Jiyong’s chest.

Seunghyun shook his head as if to dislodge the image from his mind. For the hundredth time that day he felt like the carpet had been pulled out from under his feet. “I know them? I know him?”

Dongwook tugged down the edge of his white tank top. He had removed his long-sleeved shirt and held it out to Seunghyun while simultaneously reclaiming the picture and putting it away. “First of all, you need to cover up. If the wrong people see that mark on your back then we’re screwed. When we get out of here you can ask-”

“No! What the are you talking about?” He threw the shirt on the ground and stomped on it for emphasis, dirtying the grey fabric in the process. “I’m not waiting any longer. Who the hell am I? Why can’t I remember anything?!”

The other man crossed his arms over his chest and huffed. “Seunghyun, we don’t have time for a goddamn tantrum right now. There is a very bad man outside that paid a lot of money to get a hold of you. We need to leave before those invisible s regain consciousness-”

“Invisible?”

“Stop interrupting me!”

Seunghyun blinked as the man angrily picked up the shirt and shoved it at him again. “Who’s invisible?”

“Those men that captured you! You lost your memories not your brain, so why are you acting so stupid?” Dongwook seemed to soften when Seunghyun’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment from the scolding. “Aish, fine. I’m sorry. The people that ambushed you on the naval ship are from a family with the ability to turn invisible. They were hired by a man that really, really doesn’t like you to bring you to him. Normally, you’re pretty well protected by those friends of yours and you know how to take care of yourself but because of everything that’s happened in the last few weeks I guess everyone let their guard down.” He grabbed Seunghyun’s wrist and dragged him toward the door. “I knocked them out for awhile, but we need to leave as soon as possible. We’re already too close to-”

“To me?”

Seunghyun jumped at the cold voice. He caught a brief glimpse of a red haired guy that was a few inches shorter than him sneering at then with a malicious gleam in his eyes.

In his peripheral vision, Seunghyun was shocked to see Dongwook vanish. One second he was there and a flash of neon blue light later he was gone. Before he could get too worked up about it the person waved his hand almost lazily in his direction and Seunghyun’s vision went black. He rubbed at his eyes, blinking rapidly, but he still couldn’t see.

He opened his mouth to shout but no sound came out. No matter how hard he pushed air through his vocal chords no noise escaped. For a moment he thought he’d died somehow, but then he heard that cold voice again.

“Are you sure this is the right one?”

 A sleazy sounding person answered gruffly. “The symbol is on his back. Have a look yourself.”

Seunghyun instantly tried to step back against the wall. He wasn’t sure what they were talking about but he knew, he just knew that this man was bad news and whatever was under his shirt was something he had desperately had to keep hidden.

It was a futile attempt in his blind state. He tripped over the edge of a floorboard and sprawled face first on the ground. Sharp dread crawled up his spine when he felt a heavy boot on his tail bone. His shirt was slowly dragged up and when he tried to use his arms to pull himself away or throw the man off him a different set of feet pushed down on his fingers threateningly.

Only when the fabric was bunched up around his shoulders did the assailant speak again. He whispered in a tone that sounded both awed and filled with loathing so quietly that Seunghyun almost didn’t hear. But he did and the words sent his heart skidding to a halt somewhere in his throat and his skin prickling with a sick feeling as confusion and fear battled for dominance in his mind.

“Wings of gold and silver lined with blood red, the mark of the Choi family.” The man leaned forward and his hot breath brushed across Seunghyun’s ear. He felt himself gagging at the sensation.  The stranger’s mere presence was vomit inducing. Seunghyun was confused. He hadn't taken the time to look at himself in the mirror or anything, but as far as he knew he didn't have any tattoos. Apparently he did though.

“I’ve finally found you, Seunghyun. Do you like my little trick? Sensory deprivation. I’ve heard that it’s a terrible thing to suffer but I’ve never been curious enough to try it on myself. My only regret is that your precious captain is not here to enjoy the experience with you.” His lips landed against the soft skin of Seunghyun’s neck making him shudder in disgust. The man merely chuckled, seemingly amused by the reaction. “Don’t worry, we will have fun without him and when I’m through with you I’ll hunt him down too. Wouldn’t want him to miss out, hmm?”

Seunghyun thrashed violently to dislodge the vile man on his back. A knee dug painfully into his spine. His mouth opened and closed but still his protests went unheard.

“Ah, I’m being a bad host. I want you to be able to see what I'm doing. I want to be able to hear your screams.”

Seconds later Seunghyun’s vision came back. He in huge gasps of air greedily. His voice was hoarse and even deeper than usual when he spit out a response. “I don’t know who the you are, but you’re going to pay for this.”

“Don’t know who I am? Seunghyun, I am offended, but I guess I have changed in the last eleven years.” The man roughly rolled him over until Seunghyun was pinned on his back with the stranger straddling him. Despite his short stature, the man was deceptively strong. He dug his fingers so hard into Seunghyun’s jaw that bruises instantly began to form. Seunghyun was forced to hold his head still as the man slowly moved forward. When their faces were only inches apart the man glared at him with a crazy eyes. “My name is Ravi. You killed my brother and now I’m going to kill you.”

******

A/N: Sorry for any mistakes and how lame this chapter is. Who will save Seunghyun? Is Dongwook a good guy or not? I'd like to hear your thoughts, but you won't find out until the next chapter ;) THANK YOU EVERYONE!