- t w o

Those Times

 

“Yoona, I still think these flowers don’t smell anything at all!”

Yoona giggles as she folds the wrappers successfully to finish the bouquet she’s working hard for. She doesn’t look up to see what Kai was doing. She knows and she doesn’t intend to stop him. Even though he can be a little bit of a troublemaker he is, she thinks it’s an adorable trait of him.

“That’s Yoona noona to you,” Yoona teases with a hint of seriousness. “And you’re not supposed to smell them. Go away!”

Kai shrugs. “But you said they smell good. I was just curious.”

She hands the polished bouquet to the customer waiting and receives the cash. She greets her with their shop’s usual goodbye greeting and waves.

Kai decides to wave back, too. The customer darts him a strange look before leaving.

Kai scrunches his nose. “I was just trying to be nice,” he complains. He throws his hands in the air, as though he gives up, before walking to where Yoona was. He grabs a stool nearby and sits across her, scrutinizing her face.

Yoona notices it and she breaks into an awkward laugh. “…What?”

“Have you ever tried being nice to someone and ended up liking it?”

Yoona blinks but she doesn’t look up. Somehow, she feels uncomfortable. Somehow, she feels as if there’s something more than to what Kai means. “Liking… it?” she echoes faintly. “What do you mean by ‘it’?”

Kai shrugs his shoulders, his piercing eyes burning a hole on her. “Liking someone.”

Yoona stiffens at the mention of liking someone. Initiatively, as though it happens every single time, her thoughts fly to someone in particular. That someone she wants to forget. That someone she just wants to erase from her memories. Someone she still loves.

In the end, Yoona doesn’t answer. She, however, leaves a flabbergasted and wordless Kai along with broken and scattered flowers and ripped wrappers all over the table.

 

She’s here. Lu Han bursts into an overpowering happiness as soon as he spots the girl he mentioned to Tiffany. He doesn’t know how it happens or why it does. But the mysterious girl seems to be the cause of it. Whether Lu Han could stop it or not, he has no plans to. So, what? Let him be happy for a few minutes.

He watches as she flips a newspaper open and plasters a serious expression on her face. He notices how she looks troubled (like she always does) and her fingers are rigid against fabric of the paper.

Soon enough, he finds himself walking over to where she is and stops when he’s inches away from her. And then, she looks up with her curious, round, brown eyes at him.

At first, Lu Han doesn’t say anything. He has a momentarily 10-second pause, swiftly noting all the good parts of her face. She looks beautiful up close. And neither once does he regret telling Tiffany about her.

She looks confused, or perhaps, scared that a stranger suddenly walks up to her and gets tongue-tied. But instead of recoiling and running away, she forces a polite smile on his behalf. “… may I help you, sir?” she asks.

Lu Han gulps nervously. He doesn’t notice how his face looks like but by the amused look on her face, he could guess that he must have look like a fool in front of her. So much for a first impression.

He opens his mouth to say something but only noises came out. He isn’t always this stupid. He doesn’t always get tongue-tied. He dated girls before but he was never this scared to get rejected.

Maybe I’m finally… in love?

“Uh, would you like some cappuccino?”

Lu Han feigns a smile even though he’s disappointed at himself deep inside. He clenches his teeth, thinking how ridiculous he must have sound when he asked her if she’d like cappuccino. But of course, she does! She ordered it and now he’s actually—

She smiles.

Lu Han sees her smiling. Be still, my throbbing heart.

 

“Should I play it again?”

“You’re like a broken record playing over and over again.”

“You have a big , Tiff.”

“Hey! You have a flat chest!”

Jessica laughs, lolling her head back. She treasures moments like this, when it’s just her and Tiffany, her best friend. Although, honestly, there are those times when Jessica wishes she could see her, and actually take time to appreciate her friend’s beauty. She’s heard it lots of times—that both two friends, Jessica and Tiffany, make a gorgeous pair. Not in a romantic way.

The first time Jessica comes to Seoul, Tiffany is the first person she meets. They aren’t exactly good terms back then. Jessica is blind and she’s very stubborn. Tiffany, on the other hand, doesn’t particularly like that type of girls who act as if they can handle themselves to impress others when in reality, they can’t.

They’re like cat and dog. Or maybe Tom and Jerry, for that matter. They occasionally fight and bicker, seeing as how both have American backgrounds. Both are known to be resolute and obstinate.

They both laugh for a while, cherishing this happy moment and knowing that times like this is to be remembered forever. For a few seconds, they share a comfortable silence, trying to sum up their own thoughts.

Jessica feels Tiffany moving. “Jess?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you happy?”

Jessica blinks. No matter how hard she tries though, the only thing she sees is darkness. “…I am,” she answers with a smile. “I am happy, Miyoung.”

For now.

 

Donghae watches as she quietly continues what she’s doing earlier. An hour ago, Donghae arrives from his office, bringing home a bouquet of flower, chocolates and Chinese takeout. But since they aren’t fully satisfied, Donghae offers to cook another round for dinner while Jessica continues doing her job.

Jessica seems to look as though she’s staring into blankness. There are times when Donghae can’t help but wonder whether Jessica is faking it. Her brown eyes look so bright and lovely, making it hard for Donghae to believe that she’s blind the first time.

Also, there are times when he questions himself why he came to love her. Jessica is someone Donghae doesn’t only want but need. His need for her, for her presence, for her love, is so much to the extent he scares himself, too.

Donghae’s fear doesn’t just revolve around commitments. His fear gets out of hand to the extent that Donghae runs away, instead of facing it himself. He’s a coward. He’s a fool.

I don’t deserve her.

Donghae takes a break from cooking and sits across Jessica. She stops what she’s doing, too, and places the paper down on the table. Instinctively, she lifts her hands and cups Donghae’s face. For a moment, she traces his eyes, his nose… his mouth. She smiles hazily.

“What’s the matter?” she asks as if she could see him.

Donghae places his hands over hers and closes his eyes. “I love you.”

Jessica breaks into a smile. “I love you, too, Donghae.”

It bothers him. “… Why? Why do you love me?”

He watches her face looks daunted for a bit, however, she quickly replaces it with a firm one, as if she doesn’t let herself waver. “I don’t need a reason to love you, Hae,” Jessica replies resolutely. “But if you really want to know, I can give you a hundred reasons why. But perhaps, I would bore you with those. What about you? Do you love me?”

Donghae kisses her fingers, a tear escaping his eye. “… I need you.”

 

Krystal finds him again at the same place and at the same time. She asks no one, in particular, as to why he keeps coming back to the same place when he’s aware that the woman he’s after doesn’t even look at him the way he does to her. Krystal clutches the strap of her bag tightly, bites her lip and convinces herself that she’s going to be alright.

Krystal considers herself single-minded. She isn’t going to hold back or even give up. She’s going to get what she wants. If she ends up broken… well, she’s going to think about how to fix herself later.

Right now, she is pretty sure about one thing: she’s going to succeed.

Marching towards the shop, she puts on her game face and prepares her heart for a blast.

“Hey, Kai,” she greets, swallowing nervously. For a split second, she glances at the woman with a hint of enmity before focuses her attention to the guy in front of her. He looks stunning, as always, even if he isn’t showing any skin or wearing sleeveless shirts.

Kai looks disgruntled seeing Krystal. Awkwardly getting to his feet, he gives the woman a fleeting look and then gapes at Krystal, trying to communicate with her through his expressions. “Um, hey, Krys,” he greets back, though he sounds as if he’s forced to do so. “What are you doing here?”

Krystal smiles lightly. “I came here to see you.”

Kai scratches the back of his neck. “Um, you see, I’m pretty busy—”

“No, you aren’t,” Krystal cuts him off. He looks at her, surprised but firm. “You aren’t busy at all. I know you always come here to see her and to talk to her. I know the reason, Kai. I’m not pretty stupid.”

Kai looks irritated. “Look, what the hell do you want, Soojung? Can this wait?”

Krystal softens at Kai mentioning her name. “I like you,” she confesses. She waits for a few seconds and sees him opening his mouth. She knows what he’s going to say so she cuts him off. “And I know you don’t like me the way I do but… I just want to be sincere. I don’t regret doing this even though I know the ending.”

“You’re so adamant.”

“But at least I don’t have anything to regret in the end,” Krystal says but her eyes are on the woman. She knows her. She knows her from way back. Yoona was her sister’s boyfriend’s girlfriend.

 

Sehun saunters around the park, comforting himself with the warmth and happiness he might find in this place. Parks have always been his most favorite place on earth. Or amusement parks. They have these crazy rides that make him forget about his troubles—or even forget about himself for a while and not worry about anything.

He finds variety of individuals in different ages—either they’re old or adults, kids or teenagers. They all came to enjoy and have fun. To forget the troubles of present and dwell in contentment even for just a short while.

Sehun catches a glimpse of couples walking nearby. He felt a hard tug on his heart, as if Cupid hit him directly on that special place. The only difference is that Cupid seems to make him feel lonely and heartbroken, instead of being happy with that special someone.

Why can’t he always get what he wants?

“… I want chocolate mint!” His thoughts cut off when he hears someone yelling not far from where he is. “Why is it so hard to get what I actually want?”

Sehun chuckles to himself, feeling a strange sense of déjà vu.

He approaches the ice cream truck parked right at the entrance of the park. Quietly studying the scene, he notices a girl in a familiar school uniform with ten other kids behind her, looking apprehensive and nervous. It amuses Sehun how she stands out from the rest. While the kids are in the range of 7-10 years old, she looks seventeen. Or perhaps, younger?

“I’m sorry, miss. We don’t sell—”

“I’m going to talk to your manager! Where’s—”

“You can get her a chocolate one,” Sehun cuts off, handing him few coins. He feels the eyes of the girl boring a hole on his neck but he tries to ignore it. He waits until he has his hands on the ice cream and then he could talk to her.

When he receives, he finds himself face-to-face with a girl he’s never met before. Although she looks strangely familiar, he discards the thought and replaces it with the mental noting of her beautiful face. “Here.”

“What are you doing?”

“Giving you what you need,” Sehun says. “Chocolate makes you feel better. I promise.”

 

AFF promised to fix this but anywaaaay, here you go.

I'm sorry you guys. Don't kill me ;_;

comments are lovely.