- o n e

Those Times

 

Yoona use to like watching Nana, her 8-year-old Cocker Spaniel, run around the house freely. She was eight when she first got him as a present from her father. Nana was still a puppy back then, quiet but restless. Nevertheless, she took care of Nana until she grew so big—even though her father has passed away.

Nana’s habit consists of three things: eat, play and rest. Nana wags her tail when she’s hungry or when she’s hungry. She whimpers and clings at Yoona’s leg when she wants attention. She does a lot of things.

Just recently though, Yoona notices how Nana skips her meals. Yoona notices how Nana frequently sleeps, instead of spending the time to play with Yoona. This bothers Yoona. She’s wanted to go visit a veterinarian but work has been keeping her away.

“What’s wrong with you, Nana?” Yoona whispers unhappily, cupping the Nana’s face in her hands. Nana whimpers in response and blinks her half-lidded eyes. She looks frail. “Hmm? Yoona umma is worried.”

Nana whimpers again. She lowers her head and lays it on Yoona’s lap, as though Nana’s trying to comfort Yoona, instead of the other way around. And just with that, the familiar feeling of gloom washes over Yoona.

I’m more worried for you, Yoona, Nana seems to say.

 

“You mean to say, you’re interested in someone and you forgot to get her name?”

Lu Han chuckles weakly, shaking his head. He taps his spoon lightly on the edge of his cup of warm tea. He looks troubled, or at least that’s what Tiffany, his childhood friend who knows him more than anyone (or even himself), says. He nods anyway.

“You’re strange,” Tiffany comments. “You could’ve gotten her name.”

Lu Han recalls the first time he saw her. It isn’t that romantic, love-at-first-sight moment. It feels ordinary for other people, but to Lu Han, it means everything. That moment felt so perfect. The world seemed to revolve in slow motion, as though no one else exists but the two of them.

He watched her caressing the soft petals of the rose with her soft, delicate fingers. And that faint, forlorn smile on her face, he noticed it, too.

“She looks so unhappy,” Lu Han states in a low voice.

Tiffany presses her lips together. “You sound like a Peeping Tom, except that you aren’t peeping.”

Lu Han blinks, ducking his head down. He fiddles with his fingers, growing weak as seconds pass by. “I want to know her name.”

Tiffany stares at him with a strange look. “Okay, so I have someone I know who’s interested to meet you,” she says in attempt to change the subject. “Do you want to know her name instead?”

Luhan shakes his head firmly. “No, thanks. Maybe next time.”

And perhaps, if it’s even possible, turn that frown upside down…

 

Being sightless has never been a hindrance to getting what Jessica wants. She’s determined to never let her disability get in the way of achieving her dreams. If truth be told, Jessica didn’t exactly lead an easy life. Without the sense of sight, she feels rather… incomplete in a way that she can’t completely describe.

Jessica glides her fingers through the smooth white keys of the piano. As of right now, she feels completely peaceful… and composed. She isn’t thinking of anything or troubling her mind with the problems of yesterday.

She dislikes replaying the memories of yesterday—with the exception of good memories, of course. But if there’s something she didn’t like, she’s decided to erase it as soon as the day has passed.

“…Sica unnie?”

She lifts her chin up, absorbing the gentle sound of her little sister’s voice. A smile strains on Jessica’s lips, feeling the warm sensation as she senses Krystal approaching her.

Ever since Krystal was born, Jessica has been aching to see her face. To see how her baby sister looks exactly similar to her. Jessica aches to know her more, to reach out to her and to be able to be a good sister and actually take care of her.

But in the end, Jessica ends up as someone being taken care of.

And during that period, it’s when Jessica sometimes wishes she wasn’t blind at all.

 

Happiness means lots of things to people. To kids, it can be the receiving of toys, or accepting rewards or being told I love you’s by their parents. To teenagers, it can be the feeling of acceptance within her group of friends or that sense of security and safety. To young adults like him, it could be… what?

What does happiness mean to Donghae?

Donghae has lived his life seeking that happiness his father has always talked about. When his father passed away, it took Donghae years to accept it and move on. His father was his strong foundation, the one who held him when Donghae wavers or falls down. His father was his role model, the one Donghae looks up to every now and then when he feels useless.

But he’s gone and there seems to be no one left.

But perhaps, maybe if he opens his heart a little and lets his younger half-brother make a place, maybe then it would actually make sense.

“Hyung.”

Donghae glances at Kai, studying his seemingly akin face. Kai has their father’s nose and their father’s lips. More importantly, Kai has that recognizable innocence. Sometimes, Donghae wishes it could be so easy to accept and move on.

But sometimes, wishes just don’t come true.

“…Yes?”

“Are you okay?” Kai asks softly, concern coloring his face. Donghae doesn’t answer back. Instead, he places his hand on Kai’s shoulders and squeeze them, unspoken words and contained feelings wafting in the air.

 

Krystal likes simple things. She wishes for the simplest things. There are things Krystal wants to try or wants to know, things that aren’t as simple as it may seem. However, like her sister, Krystal has always been obstinate about what she wants. Whether it could harm someone else or not, she doesn’t think.

To her, simplicity is doing something she wants and does it without hesitance.

When she tried explaining this to her sister, Jessica, she laughs at her.

“Where did you get that?” Jessica asks with a laugh. Unknown to her, Krystal feels insulted. She hates it when she’s being laugh at over something so relevant to her. “That sounds nonsensical!”

Krystal frowns. “Well, you didn’t have to laugh at me. I feel offended. You make it sound like I’m pretty dumb for even telling you that.”

Jessica attempts to stop laughing. She shakes her head and clears , brushing her fingers over . “Well, I’m sorry,” she says, repressing the laughter threatening to come out. “I was just telling you the truth. That’s your simple wish, right? To be honest to you?”

Krystal nods, although Jessica won’t exactly see it. “But still… I know you think it’s ridiculous.”

“I do think it is,” Jessica confirms, crossing her arms.

Well, it isn’t to me, Krystal thinks firmly. She grabs the hair brush from her sister’s hairdresser and starts raking it through Jessica’s long, golden locks. One day, she’s going to prove to her sister that it isn’t ridiculous. And that she could actually get what she wants.

 

“I think moving on might be the best option.”

Sehun his lips and stirs his coffee with the teaspoon. He shouldn’t be thinking about her or anything that relates to her in particular. In doing so, he’s hurting himself more in the process. But who else does he have to blame? His step-sister for introducing both of them to each other?

Yeah, right, Sehun mentally scoffs at himself. As if blaming would be of any help.

He spaces out, trying to conjure up an image of him and Seohyun together. Perhaps, he could give her what she wants—maybe a mansion? A two-story Victorian house? Or a bungalow with beautiful landscape and front porch?

“Sehun!”

Sehun blinks, snapping out of his trance. Sometimes, dreams can be so much better than reality. He inhales deeply before glancing at Baekhyun, who is sitting across him and giving him a half-curious, half-worried look.

“Did you hear what I was saying?” Baekhyun asks.

Sehun shakes his head. “No. What were you saying?”

Baekhyun grimaces. “Sometimes, I prefer you actually lying than telling me the truth.”

“I don’t want to move on.”

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. “But I thought you didn’t hear what I said.”

Sehun rests his cheek on his palm, inhaling deeply. He looks at his cup once more and thinks how fragile he feels right now. “I heard you, alright,” he says softly, almost as if he wants to cry in frustration. “But sometimes, I just don’t want to hear what you’re saying. There’s a difference in that. Hyung, you tell me the things I need but I don’t want to hear. And it hurts. Truth hurts.”

Sehun pauses for a while. “But sometimes, lies make me feel better. At least for a while.”

 

omfg i'm so awkward, luls ;_;

comments make me feel better, trolol. i heart you guys.

o u o