5

Whenever you play that song

 

'So did you practice?', Baekhyun asked her the next day.

She shook her head and proceeded to sit infront of the piano.

'Tsk. Ignoring your teacher's command. You do know that my first rule is to practice right after every lesson?'

Jieun shrugged and played aimlessly. 'I don't have a piano at home. Nor will my parents provide me with one'

'Eh?', Baekhyun asked, amused. 'How come?'.

He scooted closer and sat beside her, his eyes checking her fingers.

'They're against the idea of such things', she said practicing where she left off.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head. Even when she was played she had caught his action. 'What was that for?'

Baekhyun shook his head. 'Nothing'

Jieun bit her lip and stopped her hand from playing. 'Baekhyun..', she began.

Baekhyun on the other hand was looking at her with both eyebrows raised, a smirk forming on his lips. Somehow he think he knows what she's gonna say.

'Why did you suggested on teaching me?'

Baekhyun smiled and played the melody he played a few days ago but in a different key. 

Jieun stared at him, waiting for his reply and simply questioning him with her stare. 

'You like this don't you?', he said indicating on the melody he was playing.

Jieun smiled and nodded her head. 'Actually I love it'

'Well, that's the reason why', Baekhyun said while cutting off his fingers from playing further.

'Eh?', Jieun said. It didn't make sense for her. Just cause she loves it?

Baekhyun smirked. 'You see, others take for granted what they have or can have. I figured you were one of those who were corrupted but wants to try so I gave you the chance'

Jieun stared at him confusingly. 'How did? Wait what?'

'This piano is an old inheritance. It's from my mom. She was my first teacher, by the way'

Jieun nodded her head and scanned the piano. 'No wonder you're so good. You had a teacher even when you were young'

Baekhyun scoffed. 'Yeah, good, now! I just became good now. It took my mom a whole lot of years to convince me. Constantly reminding me not to waste my talent but I ignored her. I dwelt on the fact that I know and that she'll always be there to teach me. Guess I was wrong'

Jieun could only stare at him as he voiced out his reasons for teaching her. She was tongue tied, for fear, that her words might not soothe him. His mom died. That she knows of. 

'When I saw you I thought you were just some random girl who liked hearing somebody play but there was something. Then you came back the next day and I thought maybe you like the piano. You like it but can't play it. I can play it but I didn't like it'

'So you're teaching me because...?', Jieun said her words trailing off, unsure of what to add.

'Because I grew to love it, realized, exactly that I love it', Baekhyun finished for her.

Jieun creased her brows. 'And?'

'Look you have the passion for something you don't even know. I thought I might as well find out if you have the talent. I think.....', Baekhyun said explaining it to her but trailing off. Not sure if his words should go on further.

Jieun smiled assuringly at him. 'I think your mom would be so proud of you'

Baekhyun looked at her straight in the eye, searching for assurance. 'You really think so?'

Jieun nodded her head, her smile not fading away. Not faltering, for she knows this was what he wants.

'But I disappointed her before', Baekhyun said, still looking into her eyes.

'You've proven yourself. Besides you're good. And if I do learn it means you're really good'

Baekhyun held her gaze a little longer before smiling. 'Yeah, I guess you're right'

'So', Jieun said. 'Shall we proceed maestro?'

Baekhyun laughed. 'Maestro seems like I'm an old man with white beard'

Jieun thought for a moment before suggesting another name. 'Baekhyun the piano prodigy?'

Baekhyun scoffed and straightened himself out. 'Sounds like Mozart. I'm not even halfway to stand in line with him'

Jieun looked at him, her face told him he's not making sense. Baekhyun smiled cheekily and explained. 'Mozart is a renowned musician. Child prodigy was what people called him. So anyway, I'm not as good as him. His world revolved around music so he's a legend'

Jieun nodded her head and didn't ask any further. She's new to all this. It was hard but she was getting more and more interested. 

The one hour and 30 minuted session ended. Jieun was improving. Her hands were gradually becoming lighter. But it wasn't enough. She was still, as what Baekhyun called it to be, banging the keys.

'Just imagine you're being chased by a hound of wild dogs on top of a lily pad', Baekhyun told her.

Jieun laughed. 'What?'

Baekhyun smiled and explained his theory. 'When you're being chased by wild dogs, of course you feel pressure. When you play, do add pressure. But you have to remember that you're on top of a lily pad. Too much pressure would lead the lily pad to sink. You don't like to be on the water now would you? So add pressure but be light as well'

Jieun laughed once again. Baekhyun on the other hand creased his brows. 'What did I say? It was perfectly reasonable, not to mention helpful'

Jieun nodded her head but she was still laughing. 'Yes. Yes. I'd have to remember that. Lily pad and wild dogs'

'It was a perfectly constructed scenario', Baekhyun defended himself.

'I know', Jieun said. Picking her bag and standing up. 'Amusing'

Baekhyun raised his arms in defeat. 'Fine, make an example of your own'

'No! It was perfectly fine really'. Jieun said, still smiling.

Baekhyun raised his eyebrow at her. His hands tucked over his chest. Jieun shook her head and patted his shoudlers. 'Thanks for the tip. See yah tomorrow'

When she was gone Baekhyun again thought about his words. 'It was right!'

He positioned his hands and played, all the while remembering his words. 'Wild dogs, pressure. Lily pad, light', he muttered under his breath while playing.