4

Whenever you play that song

 

Baekhyun led her inside. He told her to sit on the cushioned piano seat while he rummaged through a box named "music sheets". 

'So...', she said, her words were dragged and her eyes scanned the shop. 

'So?', Baekhyun asked as he went towards her, a stack of folder on his arm.

She looked at him then at the folders. 'What is that?'

Baekhyun smiled and placed them on the sheet holder. 'This', he said opening the folder. 'Is what I'm going to teach you'

Jieun looked at the paper. Words were scarce. What mostly hogged the pages where a series of lines and black circles with a line on their right. By the moment she scanned everything she was already regretting her choice.

'Uhmmm..', she said unsurely. 'Maybe teaching me to play is not a good idea afterall'

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at her. 'You backing out so soon?'

She gulped and looked at the paper once again. 'I don't...'

'Understand a single thing?', Baekhyun finished for her. 

She nodded her head in shame. He chuckled and ruffled her hair. 'Silly, that's the point of teaching you'

She grimaced at him and reached out for her hair, straightening them once again. 'What if..'

'This is called a music sheet', he began ignoring her words. Two words "what if" was enough to know that she was gonna back down. He explained the basics to her as he gave names to unfamiliar things. Meanings. Soon she was smiling and nodding her head. Repeating words he was saying.

'You'll just have to remember mi,sol,ti,re,fa for those notes positioned on the line in the G-clef. fa,la,do,mi for those notes on the space. While sol,ti,re,fa,la are the notes on the lines in F-clef and la,do,mi,sol for the space'

She nodded her head and repeated the notes given to her. Not knowing that she was making a tune out of it. Baekhyun smiled and bobbed his head to the tune. 

Jieun looked at him strangely. Baekhyun feigned innocence. 'What', he said.

'Why are you swaying your head back and forth?', she questioned him.

He smiled and waved his hand in front of her. 'Nothing. Now. Just remember what I told you so you'll be able to interpret notes fast, got it?'

She nodded her head and smiled. 'Okay, well then, why don't you try playing a scale', Baekhyun ordered her.

'Scale?', she asked. 

Baekhyun facepalmed himself and apologized. 'Sorry, I forgot you're new to all this. Look', he said as he positioned his fingers above the key, his thumb on the Middle C while his other fingers trailed behind. One finger per key. He demonstrated a one octave scale starting from one do then ending on the nearest do. 

Jieun could only nod her head. She did the same, positioned her fingers above the key, one finger per key. But as she moved her fingers, her hand got stuck in an akward position as she tried shifting her thumb from do to fa.

Baekhyun chuckled and touched her wrist as he moved them up and down. 'Relax! Your hands are way too stiff. And you're not playing, you're banging the keys'

Jieun was about to explain herself but Baekhyun cut her off. 'You're new I know. I'm just stating so you'll know where to improve'

'Here. Do it again', he said as he positioned her hands once again on the keys. But this time he kept in contact with her hands in order to feel them. As she played, he would tap her hand indicating her to relax. Soon, she was getting the hang of it. She was still 'banging' the keys but there was improvement.

She was having a hard and enjoyable time when she remembered about home.

'Omo, I have to go now', she said.

Baekhyun stood up from his seat and handed her, her bag. 'It was exactly one hour and 30 minutes. That's a good session time', he said checking his watch.

Jieun ignored him and bolted out the door. 'Do practice, okay?', he shouted after her.

He didn't get to hear a response. She was already out of the corner.