Chapter 5~

Falling Into The Unknown

 

Everything around me froze. I couldn’t hear or see anything but Song. I couldn’t tell what, but something about him was different, apart from him being older and in a band. His face showed nothing but hate. It was the look he gave me that day in the lunchroom. Tears filled my eyelids and threatened to fall again, but I pushed them back with dignity.

He left you. He told you he hated you. He never wanted to speak to you again.

Fine, if that’s what he wants, that’s what he’ll get. I shook myself out of my trance and looked at the other guys.

“Are you guys ready to go eat?” I put on a smile.

Their heads nodded in unison and an echo of ‘yes’s erupted from the group of boys.

“Let’s go then! I’m starving!” I said, grinning and skipping to the door.

The other boys followed, but Donghyun pulled me back from the group.

“You guys go ahead, I need to go over the dorm rules with Kari.” Donghyun spoke blandly.

The boys shrugged their shoulders and went on their way to the kitchen.

When the boys were gone, Donghyun looked at me with a curious glance.

“Kari, Hyunseong doesn’t really welcome your presence here. I don’t know why he despises you so much, but you’re going to have to watch out for him. Avoid him as much as possible, he can be mean when he wants to be. Oh, and one more thing, I know the other members are comfortable with you, but don’t get too close to any of them, we aren’t allowed to date.” He smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

I nodded, “I understand. I don’t really date anyways, I’m just happy I’ll have a few friends. And about Hyunseong…I don’t think he’s of any harm. I’ll stay out of his way, if he stays out of mine.” I looked at him with innocent eyes.

Donghyun laughed, “You’re a funny girl, Kari. I’ll try to have a talk with him, you just go on and eat now. I have to practice for a class.”

I nodded and bowed politely before leaving. I could just tell already that I’d always have Donghyun to lean on, he felt like a brother.

The smell of the delicious food led me to a side entrance to the kitchen. I smiled, and piled my plate with food until it was overflowing. I got a bottle of water and went to find a table in the dining hall. I saw my roommates sitting at one table, but there was only one seat left. And it was next to Hyunseong.

Well I’m not sitting there. *mentally flicks Hyunseong in the forehead* Jerk.

I walked to an empty table closest to the large window with a great view. There was a door at the end of the window leading to an outside balcony that looked over the city lights. It was really beautiful.

It’s already dark out, it must be getting late.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone setting their food down next to mine.

“Can I sit here?”

I looked over to see Jeongmin smiling kindly. I nodded with a smile.

“Sure. What makes you come all the way over here?”

“I saw you sitting alone, but there was an open seat at our table. I noticed it was by Hyunseong, and things seem weird between you guys earlier.” He replied with a suspicious look on his face.

“Oh, I see. About that…” I tried to find the words to explain.

“It’s okay. You don’t need to tell me, if there’s a story behind it, it’s probably not very pleasant. He seems angrier today than he usually is, which is one reason I left the table and came over here. Also, I just wanted to sit by a pretty girl.” He winked.

I chuckled, “Shouldn’t you be sitting somewhere else then?”

He hit my shoulder lightly, “Yah! I was talking about you! I think you’re pretty…”

I blushed and looked down, “Aww. Thank you. You’re pretty too.”

I peeked up at him to see his expression go from angry to happy…then to angry again.

“Y-yah! I’m not pretty, I’m handsome!” He folded his arms and turned away from me.

I let out a small laugh and wrapped my arms around his torso, giving him a back-hug.

“Mianhe.” I said, making my voice sound sad.

He quickly turned around and hugged me, “I’m not letting you go! You won’t get off that easy.”

I laughed again.

Meanwhile…

Hyunseong’s P.O.V.

I twirled my chopsticks around in the rice, glaring at the food on my plate. I heard someone get up from the table.

“I’m going to go sit with Kari, she seems lonely.” Jeongmin spoke.

The others didn’t notice, too interested in gulfing down their food.

I glared at Jeongmin’s retreating back, and watched him and Kari closely.

They seemed to be joking around, and Jeongmin got angry at Kari for something she said. In the next few seconds, Kari had wrapped her arms around Jeongmin. Jeongmin turned towards her and pulled her into a tight embrace. He said something, “I’m not letting you go! You won’t get off that easy.” I read his lips clearly, and something inside of me steamed.

Jackass.

They continued to joke around, but after a few minutes Jeongmin let her go, and they began eating.

But Kari only took one bite, drank some of her water, and left the table.

Why isn’t she eating? She used to eat everything she got, and then went back for seconds.

I got up and dumped my tray, and followed her retreating figure.

 

Kari’s P.O.V.

When Jeongmin finally let me go, he dug into his food. I felt an icy glare on my back, and suddenly lost my appetite.

He told you you’re fat. How can you still eat after that? Maybe you are a pig.

After I’d taken one bite of my rice, I sipped down some water.

“I’m going to go for a walk, I’ll see you back in the room.”

He nodded, more interested in his food than what I was saying. I smiled and shook my head. I dumped my food and walked out of the dining hall with my bottle of water. I exited the school and walked around outside until I stumbled upon a long dirt road. I absentmindedly walked down the dirt road and found a beautiful garden laying at the end of the dirt road. The garden was huge! There were so many paths branching off of the main road, it almost looked like a maze. I walked down one of the paths, although it was kind of hard to see where I was going in the dark. My legs brought me to a small pond with patches of pink orchids and lily pads floating. I leaned over and plucked one of the orchids out of the water. I sniffed in the lovely scent and sat down next to the pond. I took off my shoes and dipped my bare feet in the cool water. It wasn’t long before I realized how late it must be. I took a swig of my water and laid back, keeping my feet in the water. My eyes felt heavy and I closed them, relaxing in the quiet night air, letting the warm breeze take away my worries.

Hyunseong’s P.O.V.

I followed her down a long dirt road, and then down a path leading off the road. I’d recognized the place as the garden behind the school. I stood behind a tree and watched her sit down by the pond, sticking her feet in the water, with an orchid in her hand. After a few minutes of her humming, she laid back with her hands holding the orchid by her neck. I smiled at the sight, she looked so peaceful. I walked closer to her, since she was so quiet.

Is she asleep? I thought in my head.

And sure enough, when I approached her still body, her eyes were closed, and her face looked relaxed.

I was about to go back to sit behind the tree and wait for her to wake up when I heard her murmur something.

“Song…why did you leave? I-I loved you.”

Tears snuck their way out of her closed eyes and rolled down her cheeks.

“I’ll change for you Song…I’ll change so I can be good enough to be next to you. One day, I promise, I’ll show you that I can be somebody you can at least call a friend. I’m sorry. Mianhe. I’m so sorry I had to come into your life and make you hate me. But I don’t think I can ever forget you. I don’t think letting you go is something I can do.”

Her words just kept flowing out like her streaming tears. My heart dropped at her words.

She still remembers the letter.

“Mianhe.” She spoke, choking on her tears.

After a while she calmed down and her tears slowed down, but they still didn’t stop. It seemed she’d gone back into a deep sleep. I picked her up carefully and carried her bridal style back to the school.

Please let no one be in the dorm yet. I thought, knowing that they’d find it weird if I was carrying a passed out girl they thought I hated into our dorm.

I entered the dorm quietly, finding the place completely empty. I went to the bedroom and laid Kari down on her bed.

She’s gotten a lot lighter since I left her. But she’s still got those chubby cheeks.

I pinched one of her cheeks smiling, remembering their first playdate.

Flashback~

A few days ago I turned 7. I had the best birthday ever, we went to the zoo! And my parents got me a ton of presents. *happy dance* But today, they want me to meet a family friend’s kid. So now, I’m in the car with my parents, arriving at a park. Once the car stopped, I got out and walked over to the big yellow slide. I saw a very chubby little girl sitting at the bottom of it.

I walked over to her and waved, “HI!”

I had a huge grin on my face as my obnoxious instincts kicked in.

She looked at me and smiled back shyly, “Hi.”

‘I’m Hyunseong, but you can just call me Song.”

She stood up and brushed off her jeans.

“I’m Kari, Lee Kari.”

She smiled at me and bowed.

“You’re Lee Kari? Are you here to meet someone?”

Her name was mentioned as the kid who I was supposed to meet here.

“Er, yeah. My parents didn’t tell me his name though.”

“I think I’m the one you’re supposed to meet. My parents wanted me to meet you. I think they’re talking with your parents right now.” I pointed over to a bench where 4 adults were conversing.

She looked and nodded, “Yeah, those are my parents. Well it’s nice to meet you.”

She beamed up at me with her cute, chubby face.

I pinched her cheeks, “You have chubby cheeks.”

She blushed, making me chuckle.

End of flashback~

Her innocent, still-chubby face made my heart beat just a little faster.

But she’s still fat.

And I can’t ever let her know that she still holds a special place in my heart.