Recovery; The Lost Prince of Myungnam.

The Emperor's Maiden

A/N: I would just like to tell everyone who took the time to read, comment and subscribe during the last update (which was, like, a year ago or more?) that I am grateful for the encouraging words, and that I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates. Y’all might as well know that I totally left the fandom long ago (not that I was a hardcore EXO-L anyway). Do not hate me please? It was more like a personal decision for me. The good thing though is that I haven’t left the ship. ♥

Yep, I still ship KaiLu (and I love Lay so much, y'all have no idea) and this story is just too dear to me. I couldn’t abandon it because it means so much. It was a struggle to write this next chapter because it’s been a while since I wrote first person POVs, but I hope things get clearer from this point on. I hope it doesn’t get boring as well.
This is unbeta-ed. If something is off, well, the comment section as well as my inbox are open. Please give reasonable criticisms, okay?

I TALK TOO MUCH, RIGHT. I’M NOT EVEN SORRY LOL. Here’s the next chapter. Enjoy! ^^

 


The Fifth Chapter: Recovery; The Lost Prince of Myungnam

 

"Good morning, Secretary Byun!" I yelled casually as I enter the familiar bureau.

 

As usual, I was greeted back with silence, except perhaps the sound of continuous scribbling. He could never stop writing, even in the earliest of hours.

 

I let out an obvious sigh, this scenario was never really new to me, nor to him. "It's barely even the start of your schedule, yet you're already working? Cut it, Baekkie." I said, seemingly annoyed. I sat across his study table, and like what I always do when I'm free, I would ‘distract' him. Add the fact that I started calling him "Baekkie". That should give him the cue to stop writing and start with his more amicable conversation with me.

 

Again, I was replied with a tentative silence.

 

And again, another obvious sigh. I guess it's too late to be particularly ‘amicable' during this time of his day. "Byun Baekhyun."

 

"…"

 

"Secretary Byun-"

 

"What brings you here, General Park?"

 

General Park. Two years since I was General Park in his lips, in his actions, or maybe even his thoughts. Sometimes, I think he doesn’t even treat me like a friend anymore.

 

You can tell I despise it very much, although the few times he calls me by my name were very rewarding.

 

It was not too long until the Secretary lowered his head again and continued writing. He really couldn't stay away from his ridiculous paper works, could he?

 

I decided to be serious at first. "Secretary Byun, can you at least listen to what I am going to say? This is important, way more important than what's keeping you occupied about in there."

 

He finally raised his head and stopped writing, I do know that look by now. "What do you want, then? It's early in the morning and I'm trying to finish my tasks early and yet you come on here and distract my thoughts. Seriously, I still have some affairs to accomplish. I still have to finalize the conditions of the Free Trade Pact according to the Emperor’s wishes. Now tell me, is there anything more important than this?" He sounded really annoyed but he's perfectly aware that it was my goal to annoy him to begin with.

 

I can see how tired he has become. Since the Emperor named him his Secretary, Baekhyun did almost everything in place of him. The child prodigy who made history by being the youngest member elected as Head of the Myungnam Council had to give up his important post, including his plans for reform for a better Kingdom. He had to perform tasks that were supposed to be done by the Emperor himself. Not that being the Royal Secretary is a boring profession, but there are some things that he’s not allowed to meddle with anymore. I couldn’t blame him for still working so hard though. It was in his nature to give his best in everything he does. It was worth it anyway, since he earned the respect not only of the elderly Imperial Advisors*, but also of the common folk. Despite receiving criticisms about his rude attitude, Council members actually respected and admired him.

 

I do admire him, as well, more than anyone could have ever done.

 

Knowing Byun Baekhyun was one of the most important episodes of my life. He’s the bluntest person you would know, yet he’s the first one to assure you if he knows what you’re doing is the right thing, otherwise he’s ready to give you an honest counsel. He’s wise beyond his years, despite his short temper and his rudeness. I would know this because I met him during the darkest time of my life*, and his words have helped me cope up with all the emotions that overfilled me during those years. I was never grateful to anyone more than Baekhyun.

 

It’s just… what I ended up feeling about this person is wrong in so many ways, and I am fully aware that he would never reciprocate this feeling.

 

It became my life’s biggest secret.

 

I sat on the stool across from him, propping my elbows on the table, my expression softening a bit. "Well, the news arrived yesterday in the Lee Province about the Free Trade Pact, and I have something to discuss regarding that, too. But… You haven't heard the other news yet? The one from the Hwang Province?"

 

He gave me the look again. "Obviously, I haven't yet, or else I would be scrambling about it right now," he said matter-of-factly, but it looks like he’s ready to listen. "This better be worthwhile or else I will throw you out of this room-"

 

"—The Head of the Hwang Province, Lord Chansung, is going to marry Lady Kyungri!" I blurted out loudly, not caring whether it was early in the morning. I can suddenly hear the sound of birds chirping outside. I can tell they were awakened by my voice.

 

There was silence after.

 

"Hold on… you mean…"

 

Now I really have his attention.

 

"Yes. It turned out the Hwangs had this agreement with the Dos two years ago. Some sort of land agreement if I'm not mistaken. You know how they are in the South, with their land agreements and such. Besides, the Dos are too ambitious, way more ambitious than the Ohs. Well, Lord Jinki just relayed the news to me yesterday, when I came to visit him. Remember how he and Lord Chansung have been bosom friends since they were younger?"

 

Just like how you, me and Kim Jongin were, right? I was about to blurt that out too, but I stopped myself.

 

Lady Do Kyungri is the youngest of the Do siblings. She rose to prominence and became an important person after she successfully fought for the rights of Myungnam women to be able to study and to have the right to take the Civil Service examinations. From then on, the Imperial Court has housed a few noble women who passed the examinations, much to the displeasure of the traditional northern families –such as the Byuns, the Ohs and the Parks.

 

It was in the midst of her campaign, 4 years ago, when Baekhyun saw her and instantly fell in love with her. I could tell he was completely smitten since he would look at her with those longing eyes, and when they talk, it seems all his attention veers towards her alone. It was the first time I’ve ever seen him like that.

 

Life is cruel as it always will be, because Lady Kyungri does not feel the same way. She was so straightforward about it, proven that one night when Baekhyun ended up confessing his heart out. The woman who he loved so much has broken his heart, told him they were better off as contemporaries—they were alike in so many ways, anyway. Instead of starting a blossoming affection with each other, Baekhyun agreed to help Lady Kyungri in her campaign instead.

 

Not too long, after months of Court Trials and Council Meetings, the request was granted. King Suho signed the Royal Decree allowing female candidates to the Civil Service Examinations. It was a defining moment at the start of Baekhyun’s political career, as well as Do Kyungri’s. She became a well-known figure in the history of Myungnam.

 

Nonetheless, I wouldn’t forget all those drunken nights we had since she broke his heart. It was during these years that our relationship grew closer, along with Kim Jongin—Emperor Kai. The Emperor and I, we soothed our bosom friend, comforted him, but Baekhyun wouldn’t smile. He wouldn’t smile like he used to, anymore. He would always say that he’s fine, and that he’s moved on, but I know deep down that he’s just saying that so we would stop worrying too much.

 

It is then that I found out how magical it is to love without asking something in return.

 

I didn’t realize I was thinking deeply until I saw Baekhyun biting his lip, nodding his head as he was suddenly deep in thought as well.

 

I know exactly what he was thinking without even asking. "I see your heart still belongs to Lady Do Kyungri, isn't it."

 

He looked at me with such sadness, but he covered it up with denial. "My heart belongs to Myungnam, and not to anyone."

 

"Yes, and our Emperor Kai loves to sleep with women. Both statements are absolutely and irrevocably true."

 

"What's Emperor Kai’s abhorrence of sleeping with women, have to do with me?"

 

I gave him a low chuckle. "You are still in love with her. Don't deny it." I looked at him straight into his eyes, searching for some honesty.

 

He gave me his signature eye-rolling instead. "Shut it, and don't even mention it. I was thinking about why the Do family chose a Hwang. If they are too ambitious, they could have just settled an agreement with someone who's more politically active.  Lady Kyungri… you know how she is, right? She’s too radical to marry a Hwang. The Hwangs have little to no interest in politics, everyone in Myungnam knows that."

 

And why can't you be more honest with your feelings, Baekhyun? Why won't you settle an agreement with your heart?

 

I tapped my fingers on the table, pretending to be giving a thought on what he said. It was hard to stay on the political side of things when there is something distracting me.

 

Now, now. You can handle this, Chanyeol.

 

"Well… Who else would they ask an allegiance from? It's not like Lord Jinki would agree with it."

 

"He won't, but it's still worth the try. Lord Jinki is currently the Head of the Myungnam Council, after all. He's one of the most influencial people in the Imperial Court, so wouldn’t make him a better candidate than Lord Chansung?"

 

"Don't be so naïve, Baekkie. The Do family is totally against the Imperial Court. That's as obvious as how the sun rises in the morning."

 

He gave me a confused look. I fought the urge to laugh, for this genius is rarely ever confused. "I believe I don't understand where you're pointing at, General Park. Yes, they are against Emperor Kai, but the Imperial Court, you say? I cannot say the same thing. They patronize the Imperial Court. Lord-Advisor Do Kyungmin is very influential in the affairs of the Myungnam Council, if the rumors I've heard about him are right. Besides, let's not forget Lord-Officer Do Kyungsoo who is taking care of the State Affairs. They have become politically powerful after King Suho's death. They could even overthrow the Emperor and make everyone turn against him should they want to, given that most of the common folk are ready to revolt in support to their cause."

 

"Yes, that last one totally made sense."

 

"So what I don't get is that they could just simply encourage one of the most politically active families out there, someone who can help them gather as many followers as they can—if not your family, well I know that would be impossible given that Parks only marry the nobility in the North… so then… the Lee family has been very dominant in the recent times."

 

I unconsciously rolled my eyes over the matter. "That's ridiculous."

 

"What is damn ridiculous with what I said?" Baekhyun spoke with obvious frustration, but I know he likes arguments like this. However, I should make him understand my point, to finally ease his confusion. Byun Baekhyun hates being confused.

 

"The Lee family has been very dominant in the recent times? That's where you're wrong. They are a merchant family, they may have been dominating the Authorized Market and the Myungnam Trade for centuries, but they do not engage themselves on too much politics, more like the Hwangs. The only reason why Lord Lee Jinki won the Council Head Selection after you was because the Heads thought they can finally penetrate the Imperial Court and control Shin City through him without being so obvious, they plan to use him to their advantage because he doesn't meddle with all the filthy stuffs going on."

 

All the filthy stuffs my family engage in, they disgust me. More often than not, I hate being born a Park.

 

The Royal Secretary chuckled at that. "Well, too bad. It seems Lord Jinki is fully aware of their schemes and slams them all during the Council Meetings. I'm very proud of my successor."

 

I nodded slowly and crossed my legs, suddenly finding this conversation twice as interesting. "That's what's so good about the man. And besides, the Lee family has pledged their allegiance to the Kim family even before the time of King Suho. The Lees are always true to their words, just like how good merchants should be.

 

"That was decades ago, General Park. Times have changed. They only know one member of the Kim family who’s been living—that is the Emperor, who isn’t very much favoured by the common folk. Obviously, the Lees' allegiance to the Emperor can be easily wavered once a marriage with another family is settled."

 

I shook my head with much conviction. "You don’t know them very well. They aren't called the Notorious Lee of the South for nothing. They have their own way on things, Baekhyun. I actually admire them very well. For the Lee family, their allegiance can only be sought if you help them settle favours regarding their Trade. The Trade comes first, before marriage.”

 

As I took a quick look on the scrolls in front of me, I felt the Royal Secretary stiffened a bit. I looked at him curiously.

 

"Heavens! How could I seriously miss it?!" Quite adorably, Baekhyun palmed his forehead and looked at me like he has just solved the greatest mystery of life.

 

Well. You're actually missing on a lot of things, Baekkie.

 

He continued, "The Free Trade Pact. Lord Jinki choosing to stay in his province instead of the Palace. I can see now. I understand now. How could I miss it, really?"

 

I found myself chuckling. "Very well."

 

He rested his quill on the table. By this time he had given up writing, which may mean that I have succeeded in ‘distracting’ him again. "Lord Jinki doesn't want it to look like he's supporting the Palace, so he left Shin City and then the Lee family sent the Free Trade Pact proposal to the Emperor... At first for the benefit of the Lee Province, and then for the Chinese..."

 

“Emperor Kai is quite popular in Meng Kingdom, Lord Jinki is fully aware of that. He travels to and from that place and…” I finished his thoughts for him. "And now that word about the Free Trade Pact being signed by the Emperor is out, it would look like the Emperor has presented him a gift because of the Lee family’s loyalty, which seems to be a normal thing for the Emperor to do now. When in fact it is the Lee family’s own doing. Lord Jinki has implicitly presented his support to the Empire. He told me that it is all to protect the Emperor, the last known Kim, and his Empire. I can tell you the Advisors over there at Meng Kingdom are very pleased right now."

 

This means the Palace is still safe if its sworn allies are still there—a Park, symbolizing the Imperial Army and the Imperial Guardians; a Lee, symbolizing the Trade and a Byun, symbolizing the Academe and the nobility. With the Pact being signed, the impossible may happen after all—Myungnam and Meng will be allies again, even after what happened in the Great War.

 

"So the ambitious Dos settled for that land agreement with the Hwangs, to gain at least another allegiance from the Seven Families? How convenient. I bet the Oh family is experiencing some pre-meltdown right now, too. Meng Kingdom would surely cease their transactions with them once their illegal activities will be exposed by the Free Trade Pact." Baekhyun laughed sarcastically, nonetheless pleased with the former information.

 

“You have no idea how badly they took in the news when it erupted yesterday. But I doubt that would stop all the illegal trade happening in the Oh Province, though. The Oh family’s getting stronger because of, well you know. Anyway, Meng has recovered after the war. Oh I feel sorry for Lord Chansung—and of course… Lady Kyungri, too.”

 

Baekhyun crossed his arms, and when he does that I know that he’s being defensive. “I am actually happy with all that’s happening. It pleases me well. Father would be surprised to hear this, too. It’s time all his delusions relating to the Oh family being the good guys come to end.”

 

And I feel selfishly happy, too, because you can finally let go. You will be free from your bitter past. The past with Do Kyungri.

 

I feel contented seeing how pleased Baekhyun was. It was as if things are going well according to the plan. Nothing makes me more blissful than seeing that gentle smile of the man I have learned to love. I would do anything for him, even if it means I’d go to the ends of the world and back.

 

 

It was one sumptuous dinner and I have to say that Chen is a very skilful cook. I was invited by the members of the Imperial Army for a farewell feast thrown for their comrades departing come the first light tomorrow. I have decided to send these men to Oh Province as part of the promise that King Suho made years ago with the Oh family because of a big favour. The King might have passed away for a good twenty-four full moons now, but up to this day, the famous blacksmith family has been enjoying the promise made by the Swordsman-King.

 

Full but not yet sleepy, I walked towards the Library to continue my nightly reading. It was then that I saw some movement going on the Palace backyard. I quickly clutched on my sword—the deadly Royal Hongsaek*. We have always been ready to strike.

 

I deviated from my original path and walked carefully towards the Plum Garden.

 

There was a dark figure by the lone plum tree near the duskiest area in the Garden, its shadow being illuminated by the moonlight. By the looks of it, it seems the shadow belonged to a man. I suddenly remembered all those myths I’ve heard from my mother when I was younger. It was about the Goguryan ghosts loitering around the Palace, of past Kings and Scholars whose spirits stayed and never left. As much as they seem harmless from all the stories I’ve heard, seeing one with my own two eyes would be really bizarre.

 

However, the figure behind the plum tree seems to be looking around, afraid of making any movement that would cause unwanted attention. I came to the conclusion that it was not a ghost at all. It was a human.

 

Definitely a man.

 

Sensing danger, I hid myself in one of the trees as well, strategizing as how to quickly get rid of the man, who by now looks like a Palace burglar. If he plans on looting the Library or the Main Hall, then the Palace’s historical records and properties would be on dangerous hands.

 

I was trying hard not to panic. Park Chanyeol doesn’t panic. It’s not in his nature to be hasty on his decisions as well.

 

But… what if there are a lot of them lurking in the Palace now? Should I alert the Guardians at the Imperial Barriers? But that would cause a ruckus. Some of the members of the Army are probably intoxicated right now because of the feast. I can’t be the irresponsible General now. The Emperor’s safety is in danger—

 

“—But Your Highness, I am absolutely prohibited in entering this area. These are only for the nobility—”

 

“Keep quiet, will you? How many times do I have to tell you I hate being called ‘Your Highness’?”

 

I heard a set of voices not too far away, and I was surprised—my heart might just burst out from my chest, when I realized one of them belonged to the Emperor himself. I immediately saw him walking quickly over to the Plum Garden. He was in his night robes, his silky, black hair flowing freely, being brushed by the light breeze.

 

He looked majestic, far from the image of the irresponsible Emperor despite his normal clothing. I looked over to the direction of the person he’s talking to, thinking maybe it was one of his male consorts… but I was wrong.

 

It was Luhan, the Maiden in White. The Emperor’s Maiden.

 

“Come here quickly, I’m going to show you something.”

 

“Y-Your Highness, I can only go until this point—”

 

“I don’t care about your stupid rules. Keep them in the Main Hall of this damn Palace. I need you to read this and interpret this to me in Goguryan, understand?”

 

I can see that the man behind the plum tree was surprised as I was to see the Emperor at this time. However, he didn’t make it as obvious. He continued to be hidden, keeping an effort to hide his shadow in the darkness as well. He might be waiting for the perfect time to assault the Emperor, so I have to stay alert. Luhan’s ability remains weak and he might not be able to save the Emperor at this point.

 

“Interpret, Your H-Highness? But… But I’m not a Certified Scholar to be doing that in front of an Official, and His Highness is the highest Official in Myungnam… I-I—”

 

“Didn’t you hear what I told you earlier? And can you stop with all the dumb buts and just do what I say?!”

 

Luhan fidgeted and took a deep breath. He stepped into the Plum Garden after doing a kowtow. “Your servant apologizes for his behaviour, Emperor Kai.”

 

“Very well. Now, come here.” The Emperor walked towards a small flattened stone, folded his robes and settled on sitting on the grass just in front of it. His Maiden quickly stood up and went to him, fixing the remaining creased silk behind the Emperor’s night robe and tucking his hair over his right shoulder.

 

“Here. Beside me.” Emperor Kai patted the space beside him and stared at the flattened stone in front of him.

 

“Your Highness?”

 

“One more ‘Your Highness’ and your pretty face will meet my feet.”

 

If I hadn’t been lurking like this and monitoring someone else’s movement at this time, I could’ve laughed over the Emperor’s ridiculous logic.

 

Luhan swallowed hard. “I sincerely apologize for being the source of your discomfort—”

 

“Stop it. Seriously, Luhan. Stop being too respectful.” He continued patting the space beside him. “Sit. Beside. Me. Now.”

 

Having no other choice, the Maiden quietly complied and sat beside the Emperor. Staying as far away as possible, he looked over where the Emperor was looking.

 

“This. It’s written in ancient Chinese. I have tried looking for possible translations anywhere but I couldn’t. I can only read ‘King’ and ‘Seventh’ and some vague ideas. Master Yongsan said you could read and write so I presumed you were able to study Chinese in a higher register? Didn’t he say you came from a middle class family in Meng Kingdom?”

 

“I have read a few scriptures in ancient Chinese, Your High—I mean, Emperor Kai. I am not so sure if I can interpret, though.” Luhan tried his hardest to stick to his honorifics.

 

“Then just try this one and we will see.”

 

The Emperor pointed to the stone engraved with ancient Chinese letters. I have always wondered what they meant. He seems to be really curious about it. I didn’t know he has been trying to interpret them all these years…

 

Luhan leaned forward to see it clearly. He slowly felt the engraved stone under his finger. He was concentrating on the characters, his forehead on obvious crease.

 

He began reciting in very ancient Chinese before he switched to Goguryan with ease.

 

“T-Today… is the fulfilment of the prophecy. Along with… the union of the two extremes… my heart fell for the Swordsman-King after all. He shouldn’t know all this. Written under the Seventh full moon of the… of the whole cycle; Meng Jia.”

 

Luhan swallowed hard after he recited the characters, and completely spoke informally. “This was written by Princess Jia!”

 

So, that’s what it was.

 

I heard a quiet gasp and realized it came from the man behind the plum tree. I saw him take out something from his side, and instead of looking over the two figures in the Plum Garden, he was looking straight at the Library.

 

He has a sword.

 

Hastily taking out the Royal Hongsaek, I was about to sprint towards where the Emperor and Luhan is, when the figure’s face emerged slightly from the shadow.

 

I stopped after two steps, thankful for my agility and my presence of mind. For after finding out who it was… who he is…

 

Lay, Lord Byun Yongsan’s faithful retainer.

 

It seems he came for a short visit again. And if it’s Lay, I know that the Emperor, even Luhan, is in safe hands.

 

Without a sound, I put my sword back. Just when I was about to drop my guard, though, I saw him still looking over to the same spot. Maybe Lay gasped due to a movement by the Library?

 

Slowly slipping out of my hiding place, I quietly sprinted to the Library. I wanted to make sure that Lay’s visit in the Palace would be just as quiet and as worthwhile as he wants. So I have to get rid of whoever is watching over them from the Library.

 

I entered the familiar hall. It was pitch black during this time at night but having frequented this place for quite some time, I’ve gotten used to it and have memorised my way in and out of here.

 

With just darkness around me though, I was able to enter the Study Area unnoticed. There was no one here, it seems. By the window, the figure of Lay hiding behind the plum tree could be seen so easily. Is that why he was so worried earlier? I wonder how he could be tactless with regards to—

 

"I saw him, too.”

 

I was startled, too startled by this familiar voice that I almost stumbled over the shelf nearby.

 

"Baekhyun?! Damn it, was it necessary to surprise me like this?"

 

The Secretary laughed softly, and I was startled again. He was actually laughing like this? He was actually amused? It was a few days ago since our last conversation and I can tell by the tired look on his face that he had been working really hard as always… so seeing his amused face despite the fatigue is already a miracle.

 

"Ssshh. If I were you, I'd be more careful. He likes to keep it a secret, you’re aware of that. If he sees you watching him like that, he might actually stop coming. Good thing you moved swiftly and he didn’t see you." As calm as he can be, he just walked past me, carrying a small metal tray. The light coming from his candle gave me temporary warmth. "So. I'm kind of in a good mood now, better take advantage of it and have some tea with me."

 

I just stared at him in pure awkwardness, which was later replaced with amusement. I managed to recover from my shock from what was happening earlier, and grinned to myself. Baekhyun was being in a not-so-sarcastic mood right now, and he's right, I should better take advantage of it.

 

I took one last glance by the window. The Emperor and his Maiden are still in the Plum Garden, discussing something, while the Byun family’s retainer Lay is still lurking behind the plum tree. His expression appears serene now, even if little light is illuminated from his face. I can see his sword resting unharmed by a nearby branch. I still can’t believe I failed to recognize him earlier. I badly want to hit myself.

 

“He knows I’m here at the Library, that’s why he was looking over here earlier. And he knows I know that he’s here, but I always let him. He means no harm, anyway. He probably just wants to check on the Emperor… and Luhan.” I was distracted by the Secretary once again, and I watch him fix his robe as he sat on a stool, setting the tray down.

 

As I sat on my favorite stool, Baekhyun started pouring hot tea on the cups. I stared into his beautiful hands, fighting all the urges to just entwine those fingers into mine own…

 

I should distract myself this time. "I thought you both agreed that he shouldn't engage himself with the Emperor any longer?"

 

"We did. It was years ago, I believe." He gave one of the cups to me and took a sip from his own. "It was here as well, right on this table, if I'm not mistaken." He said casually as he looked over the place, to the books illuminated by the single candle that we share, to the dark walls that have been witnesses to several events in history. He told me, ‘Baekhyun, I promise to never go too near him again, not anymore. If he finds out who I am… He might just kill me for abandoning him for too long.’  To be honest, he’s an idiot for even making a promise he can’t keep. And I can’t believe he’s actually afraid of getting too near, it’s not like the Emperor would push him away.”

 

I began to chuckle. "Too bad I was in military training at the time of his promise." I gratefully accepted the cup and took a sip as well. “Else I could’ve scolded him for real, for breaking it. Although I could’ve scolded him at the same time for keeping himself away from the Emperor.”

 

"Certainly. He badly needs a scolding, you know.”

 

Thinking as this was another sarcastic remark, I was about to fire back when he suddenly waved his arms in defence. “I meant it! I could’ve scolded him myself but out of respect I just remained silent. I have always looked up to him since when we were younger. Well… who didn’t?”

 

“Oh yeah, I remember he both took us down at that duel on his 10th name day tourney*. Nobody expects that much from a Byun like you… but for a Park like me? Huh. He embarrassed me in front of my family.”

 

As if on cue, we both shook our heads and laughed softly at the distant memory.

 

Resting my cup on the table, I asked him the question I was dying to ask ever since, although I knew I shouldn't. "Baekkie…"

 

He looked at me, his eyes unguarded. "Hmm?"

 

"You and your father have always known that he is alive, but you have been so quiet about this for years. Why are you doing this?"

 

It was his turn to chuckle. Looking at his cup, he spoke in a whisper-like manner. “Lay is a man of few words, but when he speaks, you just got to listen. When he said he doesn’t want the throne, I can tell he’s being really serious about it. And when he said that his instinct tells him Emperor Kai is the rightful leader of Myungnam, it’s as if he’s convinced with it himself. It seems Shin the Sage agrees with him as well. That’s what made me and my father help him conceal his real identity.”

 

I glanced at the figure of Lay by the plum tree, awestruck at his persona after hearing this new information. “I never really got to talk to him properly. He was always just lurking around the Palace since after the war but he never stopped to have a proper conversation. Even in our younger years when my grandfather was still training him, he rarely even talked to people. He just kept to himself, and to Jongi—to the Emperor.”

 

The Secretary nodded. “I never talked to him properly before, too. In the past, I just heard stories about him from either Emperor Kai himself or his late father, the King. It was a blessing Lay chose to stay with our family, though. We got to talk about everything. His memory remains intact despite all he’s gone through. He asked us to stop treating him like a royalty and we agreed to treat him like a new person. Actually when I first realized who he really is, I was about to surrender him to the Palace. I always believed he would be a good leader like his father, King Suho.”

 

I sighed, letting my true thoughts be heard through my lips. “If only he chose to come back to the Palace and take what’s rightfully his, then all this chaos would be avoided, and we still have our friend—Kim Jongin, with us. What we have now is a strange, irresponsible manchild who happens to be our Emperor. He hates all of these yet he had to face his responsibility. I’m always worried about him, you know. He might not tell us things anymore, but I know he yearns for his hyungnim so much, even when in his mind, he’s already dead. He yearns too much that I’m afraid it’s affecting him deeply.”

 

Baekhyun empties his cup and smiled knowingly to himself. That smile that I adore. “Don’t get too worried. He is a strong person. If not, how did he manage to survive this far with no one but the two of us by his side? This is the start of better things to happen, General Park. I can feel it. I’m just waiting for the things to unfold by themselves. Kim Jongin will come around, you will see. He will rise to be one of the strongest leaders of Myungnam.”

 

He said it with the best confidence that only Byun Baekhyun can pull off.

 

It’s the first time in years that I’ve heard him call the Emperor by his real name. I tried to smile as genuinely as I could possibly be, save for something that’s bothering me. “And Luhan? What about Luhan? You know you’ve put him in more danger when you brought him here. His forbidden powers, and the prophecy… they might—I was almost sure he was safer in Oh Province—in Byun Province he was even the safest, since your father and Lay are there.”

 

“I am aware of that… and no, he will never be safe in the hands of the Oh family. I could never trust them, never. Lay knows that as well. He knows Luhan will be safest once he’s with the Emperor, not with Oh Sehun, not even with my father. I don’t even know what went on to Father’s mind to even consider selling Luhan to those blacksmiths.”

 

It was a sensitive topic even with just the two of us. Sure, Baekhyun and I rarely ever keep secrets to each other, but there are some things which we can only dare to talk about.

 

So many thoughts are circling my head right now. “You and Master Yongsan, you have never made up since you had that argument, haven’t you?”

 

I heard a low sigh. “I have no idea what happened to my family. Father is very hard to read, but he knows I’m still upset with him. I could never talk to him like the way I did before. My cousins never talk to me anymore, even before I got elected as Council Head. They are a handful, not thinking about anything but family reputation and tradition. They all thought I’m this ambitious, egocentric . I guess I just got tired of dealing with them, really.”

 

“At least your family still acknowledges your existence. Lady Soojung went to visit you, your father seems to be ready to talk to you should you give him a chance. Whereas my family…”

 

My brothers have totally forgotten they have another brother by the name of Chanyeol, even my noona-nim—Chanmi has denounced me. My parents have called me a ‘traitor’ more times than I can count. It hurts a lot.

 

I can feel Baekhyun’s eyes staring at me as if they can dig holes onto my skin. I refused to look back, afraid to look weak in front of him. I can almost sense the look of pure pity from those beautiful eyes…

 

“Guess we are totally scorned by our families by being here, serving the Emperor Kai, huh.”

 

I grinned smugly. “I never regretted my decision, anyway. The Parks of the North could keep all their pride for as long as they want. I don’t want any of their unnecessary self-importance. As long as I have you, the Emperor and my Army then I’ll be fine.”

 

Yes, it hurts, but never once did I regret serving under the Emperor. It was one of the most honourable things I could ever do in my lifetime.

 

A gentle pat on my shoulder made me finally look my way to the man in front of me. What I have mistaken as a look of pity was actually a look of…

 

“It was nice to hear it from you like this, Park. You are rarely ever like this. Yes, you are a sap most of the time, but right now I am actually proud of you being a sappy General.”

 

“Oh, shut up, Byun.”

 

He squeezed my shoulder in a way that made my ears go light red. Baekhyun was smiling fondly. I tried hard not to melt in that gaze. I have always tried hard…

 

In an attempt to extinguish this wobbly feeling at the pit of my stomach, I simply nodded and looked outside. The Emperor has already fallen asleep, his head involuntarily laying on his maiden’s lap. When my eyes scanned the lone plum tree, I saw that Lay wasn’t there anymore. Like what Baekhyun said, he might have really just stopped by to see if everything is going fine in the Palace—with the Emperor and his Maiden.

 

My attention turned towards Luhan, who’s slowly scooping the sleeping Emperor on his thin, pale arms. I wonder if Lay has ever told him something about who he really is.

 

I was still looking at them when I spoke again. “Frankly speaking, I have no idea what’s going through Lay’s mind. How did he manage to keep hidden all these years, without the Emperor even knowing? How did he manage to keep Luhan with him at the same time without a single hint?”

 

"That's just how enigmatic Prince Yixing is. He isn’t Kim Jongin’s hyungnim for nothing, you know. The older Kim knows what he’s doing, I’m very sure of that. I have always put my faith on him. Prince Yixing has the instinct of his father, and the charming wit of his mother.”

 

Prince Yixing, now that’s a name I’ve haven’t heard for a while until now.

 

We managed to finish the plum tea, which was a miracle since Baekhyun hates them. Why, of all nights, he chose to drink it with me tonight was beyond me.
 

I can tell everyone slept well that night.

 

//EndofFifthChapter.

 

NOTES (I still talk too much!):

*(Royal)Imperial Advisors – The elder group composed of retiring former members of the Myungnam Council. They serve as advisors and vote equalizers of the current members (i.e: when the Council fails to come up with a unified decision regarding a specific matter). They work closely with the King (in Kai’s time, the Emperor) as well. Master Yongsan, Baekhyun’s father, is an Imperial Advisor.
*Chanyeol’s ‘darkest time in my life’ – I chose not to delve into details too much because it would just drag the story, but Chanyeol refers to the time he had to choose whether he should follow his father’s footsteps and become a scholar (Head of Park Province and a member of the Council) or his grandfather’s, a warrior, a member of the Royal Army. He met Baekhyun (and Jongin) during his coming of age feast. After a very striking conversation with Baekhyun, Chanyeol decided to follow his heart’s desire—to become a member of then King Suho’s Royal Army.
*The Royal Hongsaek (and the Royal Jajusaek)– The Royal Hongsaek is a red, double-bladed sword engraved with the Kim family’s crest around the sides of the blades. Known to be blessed by Shin the Sage himself, it is one of the Kims’ family heirlooms which have been handed down to Kings for centuries, along with its twin sword, the Royal Jajusaek, the purple counterpart of the Hongsaek. When Jongin became Emperor and Chanyeol became General of his Imperial Army, he presented the latter with King Suho’s sword, the Royal Hongsaek, as a symbol of the Emperor’s trust to Chanyeol’s loyalty. The Royal Jajusaek was usually given to Myungnam’s Crown Prince, and as of present, the Emperor keeps it.
*Royal tourneys – Set of competitions (mostly duels) organized by the Palace in honour of a Crown Prince’s name day (birthday in modern jargon).

A/N:

What do you guys think? Still confusing? Lol. I have no idea what to write for Chapter 6 so... just hang on there, okay?
I promise to update this as soon as I can.

On a side note. Heol. I miss Luhan in EXO.