In the Name of Honour.

The Emperor's Maiden

A/N:

Guuuuuuiiiiise, thank you for those lovely comments for the first Chapter <3 And for those who subscribed, lemme give you some lovin’. *showers hearts*

Alexsmile101  Thank you ^^ *hugs*

BlackVolvo   Awww thankyouthankyou. Nice to know you like stories like this one <3

exotic_elf   Luhan will be in the Palace shortly :D I hope the second chapter doesn’t disappoint *^* sjdjldfdf I love Lukai too. Thank you for your nice comment <3

Mayumijade  Omg, somebody guessed it right! Yes, it’s Krystal, I just wanted to use her real name because Krystal sounds a bit… modern? Idk. LOL <3 I loved how you were talking to my characters, and how you see them being like that too. Yeah Chanyeol is a bit mmbdf here like in real life hahahaha. I really hope I’ll give justice to Luhan’s character though ><. Anyway, the historical backdrop is a lot like SaiunMono but the plot will be a bit different. Nice to know you watched it ljdhfjsdf lemme love you <3

celloplayer33  THANK YOU!!!! I hated History before too LOLOL but now I loved studying it again :D Isn’t Kaihan beautiful. They’re sooooo beautiful. Enjoy reading btw <3

mrslukai  I guess Baekhyun will forever be the boss here LOLOL. I enjoyed creating his character here. And of course, Kai’s too bfjbsdljfb. Yeah, he’s hot ^^ Luhan is heeeeere.. err in the next chapter XD OF COURSE LUKAI <3

chippawabrike  OMG thank you very much ;___; Excuse me while I sob. This being called great is just… nice. Here’s chapter 2 BB <3

Kyasshi  Thank youuuuuuu <3 Here’s the next chapter. Enjoy :D

The Second Chapter: In the Name of Honour

 

“Slow the carriage down!” It’s been about two hours since Lady Soojung has been constantly yelling at the coachman in front.

 

“Yes, my Lady.” The coachman replied and slowed down, if it’s even more possible. We were travelling for a very slow pace it felt like a procession to me. It was almost an hour since we left the Palace and I can’t believe that we haven’t reached the Imperial Barrier that separates Shin City and the Park Province yet. It would just normally takes about 30 minutes to do that.

 

“Stupid Baekhyun. I hate him so much! Making fun of me… aish! I swear he’s going to pay for everything he’s done!” Lady Soojung stomped her feet stubbornly and glared aimlessly. I tried not to look at her direction, but then her words made me really curious.

 

She caught my eye. “What are you looking at?!”

 

“I was just wondering what fateful event could have happened with my Lady’s meeting with Lord Baekhyun.” I finished my sentence calmly, not caring about the fact that my Lady isn’t in a good mood. I don’t really care about what she thinks about me.

 

“Don’t! Just the mention of his name infuriates me. I swear, by the name of all the Gods… he’s going to pay—”

 

“Lady Soojung, you shouldn’t say that.” I purposely cut her, fully aware that the Gods might hear what she was saying.

 

“Shut up, Lay. I’ll say what I want to say. You stay there and shut up.” She glared at me and I saw her clenching her fists out of anger.

 

I just nodded and rested my sword beside me. I just happen to know what to do in these situations. “As you wish, my Lady.”

 

She was silent for a while, letting all her anger seep in and then finally she manages to calm down, slowly releasing the grip she had on the piece of scroll that she was holding. She looked at me with a much gentler gaze. “Baekhyun hates me, and I hate him as well. Ah!”

 

I just stared at her, unsure of what to reply, until she handed me the scroll. “You keep that Lay. I don’t want to be kept responsible for that piece of garbage.”

 

My gaze was turned to the scroll and I was surprised as I saw the Official Imperial Seal on the very top of the parchment. “My Lady… this is an official package sent by… the Emperor.”

 

“What do you take me for? Of course I know that, you idiot!”

 

“I apologize for my behavior, Lady Soojung.” I bowed and clenched my fist secretly. Never in my life have I been called an idiot.

 

“To hell with that stupid Seal. You give that to Father once we’re home. Do you understand?” She leaned against the window of the carriage as I saw her closing her eyes, muttering things to herself. Sometimes, I do pity her. She was forced to do things she hated the most. I knew her ever since she was a small girl. She has been kind with me before, but I don’t know why she suddenly treated me like this.

 

But then I guess, this is just how she really is.

 

I was so engrossed with my thoughts that my Lady waved her hands in front of my face impatiently. “LAY! What the hell? Are you listening to me?”

 

“Y-Yes, my Lady. I apologize.”

 

“What did I say?”

 

“I will give this to Lord Byun once we arrive home.” I confidently said and bowed.

 

“Good. And according to my stupid brother’s instructions, everyone should hear what that piece of garbage has to say.” She pointed to the scroll again.

 

I nodded, letting the package rest in my lap carefully. It’s not everyday that I get the chance to deliver these kinds of messages. I wonder what the Emperor wishes to speak with my Lord about. “Very well, my Lady.”

 

“Tomorrow I’m going over to the Oh Province, and no one, not even Father, can stop me.”

 

As a man of few words, I just nodded in reply. It’s not a surprise to me anymore. Long before, she has been really friends with the Oh family. She has met them on various occasions and undeniably, she had been really fond of them. I think Lord Byun isn’t at all interested in forming an alliance with them, but Lady Soojung used his name just so it would look like he is.

 

We reached the Byun Province after 5 grueling hours. I was tired but I still have to do what my Lady wished for me to do, so I went straight to Lord Byun. He was in his small library, writing.

 

He smiled as soon as he saw me. “Lay. How was Soojung’s visit? Did she tell you anything? Did you see Baekhyun?”

 

I bowed and shook my head. “Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see Lord Baekhyun. I’m not aware of what happened with Lady Soojung’s meeting with him.”

 

“I see. I hope Soojung told him of my message though.” He folded the scroll and signed it. “I need to send this to the Oh Province.”

 

“I’ll take care of that, my Lord.” I walked closer and took hold of the scroll. “But Lady Soojung gave me this, and said that it’s for you, my Lord. It’s… a package from the Emperor.”

 

I saw his eyes widen as he took the scroll from my hand. “From the Emperor, you say? She has talked to Jongin?

 

I still can’t quite comprehend how Lord Byun manages to call the Emperor by his own name. He’s the only one who does that, out of everyone I know. Not even Lord Baekhyun, or General Park could do that.

 

Lord Byun is known to be the first one to deny allegiance to the Lazy Emperor. It doesn’t look like he hates him though. But before Lord Baekhyun resigned from his position as the Head they got into a huge argument, making Lord Byun stating that he disliked the idea of Lord Baekhyun being friends with the Emperor.

 

“I apologize, my Lord, but I do not know anything about this matter.” I bowed in apology. “But Lady Soojung told me that according to Lord Baekhyun’s instructions, the scroll should be read to everyone in the house.”

 

I heard the door opening, revealing a distressed Lady Soojung. “Father! You should listen to me first. Did Lay already give you the—Oh.” She looked at the scroll in Lord Byun’s hands and glared at me.

 

I just bowed. “It was according to your instruction, my Lady.”

 

She ignored me. “Well, before you read that, Father, I have to let you know that—“

 

“Yes, Soojung.” He cut her sentence and nodded in understanding; it’s as if he already knows what my Lady would be telling him. He took a glance at the scroll. “Ah! The Imperial Seal. This is really from him. Now Lay, call everyone and let’s hear what Jongin has to say.”

 

I bowed again, glancing over to Lady Soojung who just have wide open in shock. I went of the room to gather everyone in the household. As soon as I called everyone’s attention, I noticed that someone was missing.

 

Luhan.

 

I saw him in the backyard, watering some sunflowers which grew out of nowhere in a small patch. He has been taking care of them ever since. Yes, he loves flowers, almost as if they were human beings.

 

I walked over to where he is. “I’m back.”

 

He turned his back and faced me. “Lay!”

 

I just smiled warmly and grabbed the watering can in his hands. “Lord Byun summons everyone.”

 

He just nodded as I put the can down. “I see. Let’s go?”

 

I grabbed his hand and together we went inside the house, joining everyone who by then was gathered in front of Lord Byun’s study table. Unlike the other noble families of the Seven, the Byuns have only a few people in the household, so it isn’t really difficult to squeeze everyone in the little room.

 

Lord Byun cleared his throat and opened the scroll, not even bothering to read it first. He just spoke at the same time that he is reading the contents.

 

“To the most respectable Lord Byun Yongsan of the Byun Province:

 

The Emperor has the intention to buy a servant named Xi Luhan from the Byun household. We can discuss the details of the purchase in the Palace.

 

Signed with the Official Imperial Seal, Kai, the Emperor of Myungnam and Byun Baekhyun, the Imperial Secretary.”

 

Oh. I see.

 

There was a commotion in the room. The other servants looked over to our direction and whispered things to each other. Lady Soojung glared at Luhan like she wanted to eat him alive.

 

I glanced at Luhan and I saw the sudden shock and horror in his face. I saw his eyes roaming around until he met mine.

 

“M-Me?”

 

As calm as I could be, I nodded accordingly. “Yes. Xi Luhan. It’s you.”

We were just gazing at each other for 5 painful seconds until it was cut by Lord Byun, walking over to him.

 

“Luhan.” He held the boy by his shoulders and spoke in a gentle manner.

 

“My L-Lord.”

 

“Well, you heard what it has to say. You should get ready. We’ll have to travel early in the morning to Shin City tomorrow to meet Baekhyun and the Emperor himself. Make sure to look presentable then.” Did I just see a trace of smile in Lord Byun’s face?

 

“Father! What the hell are you doing?” Lady Soojung stormed towards them, anger evident in her face and voice.

 

“This is an Imperial order, Soojung.” He replied calmly, still looking at Luhan.

 

“Don’t you get it? This is all Baekhyun’s plan. He’s just using the Emperor’s name! I saw it with my own two eyes! Don’t be deceived! He’s playing a trick on you.”

 

“An order is an order, whether Baekhyun has something to do with this or not. The Emperor’s Seal is imprinted in the scroll. Unless you want the Imperial Guardians of every Province attacking this house, Soojung… if the package stated that Jongin would wish to have Luhan, then Jongin shall have him.” Lord Byun’s voice was straightforward, that his mention of the Emperor’s real name was distinct.

 

Luhan flinched by the sound of their names mashed up in one sentence.

 

“Are you insane? You clearly told Baekhyun years ago that you do not trust his judgments when it comes to that Lazy Emperor!” Lady Soojung’s voice was getting louder as she pointed out her argument.

 

But actually, she was wrong.

 

I saw Luhan fidgeting, and when he does that he’s obviously nervous, uncertain of what the outcome shall be. He gazed at me again, it’s as if he’s looking for answers to his questions in my eyes. I just nodded and looked at him with comforting eyes.

 

“What use does this good for nothing servant has to him? The Ohs want him too, for reasons that I don’t understand! Seriously, I must talk to the Ohs!” Lady Soojung continued with her outburst, not willing to just let this go.

 

“You really won’t understand, my child. You’re still too naïve to understand.”

 

“Naïve? Naïve?! And what do you call yourself, Father? You’re being absurd! Both you and my scam of a brother are absurd!”

 

“Now, now, Soojung. Who taught you to answer me with that kind of tone and with those kinds of words? No one dishonors me inside my own house and in front of my servants. And do not say things like that to your own brother.” I can see clearly that my Lord was just controlling his anger, when in fact he might burst anytime soon, too. He was clutching on the scroll too tightly.

 

His daughter ignored the subtle outburst and just continued, “You know very well that when you sell Luhan to Kai, you’re already submitting yourself to him and his fake Empire! Then why in the world would you still do that? ‘The Byuns are NOT supporting this ridiculous Emperor Kai’, I clearly stated that to the Myungnam Council. I even denounced my stupid brother for having allegiance to him! And now this?!”

 

“Enough, Soojung. Don’t make me repeat myself because you know as well that I don’t like to say things twice.”

 

“And what do you want me to say Father? That I approve of this? No. Not in a million years. We are not to have an allegiance with that fake Emperor. I’ve worked so hard to gain the trust of the Parks, the Dos, and most importantly, Oh Sehun’s! Four families have gathered to bring this Empire down! I am not going to lose my face in the Council just because of that Chinese bastard!” She merely pointed an accusing finger at Luhan, making the latter shake in fear and bow in apology.

 

“I a-apologize for being your source of discomfort, my Lady.”

 

“I’m not talking to you. Get out of my sight right now!”

 

“Soojung, that is not the way I raised you.” I can feel that this is going to be very serious as I sense the fury hidden beneath my Lord’s calm voice. He turned to face Luhan again, his face becoming a little bit softer. “Go with Lay and fix your things, Luhan.”

 

The servant bowed nervously and nodded. “Yes, my Lord. I-I’m so sorry.”

 

“You are not at fault here. Now, as I told you, make yourself presentable for tomorrow. We shall see Baekhyun early in the morning first.” Lord Byun gestured me to move. I walked over to Luhan and grabbed his shaking hands as I lead him out of the guest area.

 

The arguing voices resumed while we walk out of the room. The servants all resumed their activities, like nothing happened.

 

 

“Lay… I’m scared.” He sighed, finally sitting down on the edge of the bed and covered his face once we reached his room. He was supposed to be getting around now, after a few nights that I tried to comfort him when he found out that he’ll be with the Ohs for the rest of his life.

 

In a swift of an eye, everything changed. He’s not heading to the Oh Province.

 

Not to the arms of that man.

 

Oh Sehun’s.

 

“Don’t be.”

 

“I can’t help it.”

 

I sat beside him and leaned his head on my shoulder. He complied and pulled himself closer to me. “Lord Baekhyun will be there. Aren’t you happy to be seeing him again?” I said softly, almost whispering.

 

He nodded. “I am… I honestly am. I long to see Lord Baekhyun for a long time. But… but the thing is, you won’t be there. A-and, I’m not my Lord’s responsibility. Who will be there for me?”

 

“Shhh… We’ve gone through this, Luhan.” I finally spoke in Chinese, not caring about the fact that it’s prohibited in this household. I could care less.

 

“I know. But this is different, Lay. If I were to be sold to the Oh family, Oh Province is just a few kilometers away from here, and I know my way in there… it’s not a pleasing job but atleast I know my way in that place… but… but Shin C-City is different. I haven’t been t-there… it’s so far away… it’s a whole new world for me. The Palace… the people… I’m so scared of what m-might happen.” He wrapped his arms around my waist, his tears ready to fall down anytime soon. I understand his worries. Shin City is really a whole new world. It’s the complete opposite of what we grew up with back in the days.

 

I met Luhan back in Oh Province. I was a young boy then, 11 years of age. A part of my life which I refuse to remember was when I was working for the bandits in the mountains of Oh Province. I had nowhere to stay, no family to take care of me, and I was forced to grow up earlier in a harsh world… until I was sold to the Byun family. That was, for me, the most liberating event in my life.

 

I saw a group of bandits harassing a young Luhan in the streets one fortunate day in the Oh Province. I was there for a very important first mission given by Lord Byun. The Great War has just concluded at that time, and because of the unfortunate things that happened, the citizens of Myungnam started condemning us Chinese. It was a critical situation for every Chinese who were staying in the kingdom at that time. Some were burned to death, their ashes being offered to Shin the Sage’s temple. A ridiculous way to wish for a more peaceful world.

 

If I didn’t come on time, Luhan would have been one of those unfortunate souls who were offered to Shin the Sage.

 

Things are very, very different in Oh Province, forcing me to get Luhan out of there after a few years and bring him to the Byun Province instead. It’s not healthy for someone like him to stay there.

 

He must have noticed my sudden silence, because he turned me to face him, caressing my cheek. “Didi*…”

 

I caressed his back, trying to find some words of comfort. “Trust me, Shin City is the most beautiful place in the kingdom. You’ll like it there. I mean, you’ll suddenly feel like you belong there. And I’m asking you never to worry too, you’ll be fine. The Emperor will be there. He’s a grown up man now. He shall take care of you.” I grinned, trying to take away his uneasiness.

 

“Wǒ bù zhīdào*.” He pulled away, crossing his arms and turning his back from me, annoyance was obvious in his voice.

 

“Luhan…” I hugged him from behind, resting my head over his shoulders.

 

“You’re not of any help at all.” He shook his head and tried to push me away, but I insisted that he stay in my arms. He struggled until he couldn’t break away from my strong grip anymore. I chuckled as I heard him curse under his breath.

 

“Nothing’s funny, Lay.” I chuckled more as he sounded more like a whining child in my ears. I can’t believe this man is actually my Gege*.

 

“There must be a reason why you’re being sent to the Shin City. I told you, you’ll be fine, Luhan. Shin the Sage’s temple is just nearby the Palace. He sure will protect you if you go there frequently.” I finally got off him, else the dragon will surely be unleashed.

 

“You’re only saying that to make me feel better. Shin isn’t a God for the Chinese like us in here.  There is no room for us in his place… And anyway, I bet you’ll rejoice knowing I won’t be your burden anymore.” There was bitterness with every word he spoke. I was actually surprised with what he said.

 

“What are you talking about? Shin cares for everyone, whether you're Goguryan or Chinese. And excuse me? You’re not a burden to me.”

 

“I’m a burden to everyone.” He said with a tone of finality, as he walked over to his small desk and gathered all his belongings.

 

I chose to ignore that and looked over to his belongings. I never really understood why he loved writing so much. Ever since we met he has this uncontrollable hobby of writing whatever it is that he fancy writing. Be it poems, essays, or just simple events in his life. Sometimes, according to him, he would write about his dreams, about my dreams, and about the things he longs for… although he wouldn’t tell me exactly what they were.

 

For Luhan, these were the most important things in his own little world. His parchments. His quills. His dreams.

 

I sighed, followed him and helped him pick up some pieces of parchments that were resting on the right side of his table. “I’m not saying things just to make you feel better. I’m saying things because it’s the truth.”

 

“The truth? Like what? ‘The Emperor is a grown man who shall take care of you’? He is a heartless man, Lay.” He frowned as he put all the parchments in a small case.

 

“Is that what Lord Sehun tells you?” There. I finally said it. I gritted my teeth as I felt his cold stare towards me.

 

“He knows things better, even if he mocks everyone.”

 

I sighed, thinking of the right things to say. “Oh Sehun doesn’t know the Emperor too well, not even better.”

 

“So does Lay.”

 

“Lord Baekhyun trusts Emperor Kai.”

 

He was about to open his mouth to say something, but no words escaped his mouth. I walked over to his bed and fixed the creased sheets, allowing the awkwardness to freely seep the atmosphere.

 

I can feel his eyes darting through me, watching my movements silently.

 

“Lord Baekhyun is very dear to you, right?” I folded his soiled clothes which were lying gracefully on his bed as I asked him.

 

“Yes. He is.” He spoke in a very soft voice.

 

“More than Lord Sehun.” I stated, clearly pointing out that it isn’t a question to be answered.

 

He just nodded and proceeded in packing his quills. I pulled the curtains in just to have something to do. I’m getting annoyed just by the thought of that man who made things worse for Luhan. I’m just more than thankful that he is not, in any way, going back to Oh Sehun.

 

Luhan was contemplating on what to say next. “Lord Baekhyun… is the one who is dearest to me.” It was more like he was saying that to himself rather than to me, and I find it quite interesting how he looks so convinced with what he said.

 

I took a glance at him. He looked charming, no matter what he does.

 

“Tomorrow, it should be the Emperor, when you meet him.” I said with a tone of finality, and of command.

 

He looked at me with an uncertain gaze and took a deep breath. I know Luhan, you need time.

 

I gave him a warm embrace. “Gege, I’ll always be here for you.”

 

Later that night, he fell asleep in my arms, undisturbed.

 

 

Early morning the next day, I woke up to the sound of the carriage being pulled away from the house. By the sound of the wheels, it was Lord Byun’s carriage. I looked around and saw that the room is all tidy, no sign that someone habited here. I was alone in the bed, a white blanket clothed my body from the cold morning dew.

 

Luhan left without even informing me. I felt a sudden pang on my chest, knowing for a fact that… I may possibly not be able to see him for the next few months, or the next few years… or maybe, I may never see him again. Who knows? However, knowing that somehow, he’ll be in Lord Baekhyun’s and the Emperor's hands seems a bit comforting for me.

 

I got up and walked over to where my sword is. I saw a piece of parchment hanging loosely at the side of the rusty metal. I bent over and grabbed it, unfolding it while I clutched my sword.

 

Neat handwriting. In Chinese characters.

 

“Lay,

 

I lied. Lord Baekhyun isn’t the one who’s dearest to me. He comes second.

How could you not realize it’s you?

 

It has always been you, idiot.

I love you. See you soon.

 

Luhan”

 

I smiled and folded the parchment back, putting it in my chest pocket. He’s just something, isn’t he? Just the thought of him made me warm inside.

 

I bowed down, muttering a silent prayer to Shin the Sage and to the Most Hallowed Mingzhi.

 

“Protect him, by all means. Not a single danger should be coming in his way.”

 

They listen to me all the time.

 

 

//End of Second Chapter.

NOTES:

*Didi - 'Younger sibling' in Chinese.

*Wǒ bù zhīdào - 'I don't know' in Chinese.

*Gege - 'Older brother' in Chinese.

A/N:

 

I’m so sorry for giving a short chapter. I just don’t know how to squeeze everything in one go so I might as well take it slowly .______.

 

What do you guys think? <3