Fated.

The Emperor's Maiden

A/N:

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL.

The Third Chapter: Fated

 

"You must be so happy to have such fate. Not everyone would have the honor to serve the Emperor!"

 

"Seriously, why did he choose you, out of all the servants here? Isn't the Empire against the Chinese?"

 

"Beware! That Emperor is cursed."

 

"Ah, what luck you have! Not only will you live in that beautiful Palace, you'll also get to meet Shin the Sage if that's even possible!"

 

"The Emperor hates people like you, that's what rumors say.'

 

I closed my eyes and silently wished that all these voices in my head would leave me alone. These were the voices of the other servants, who were fussing over me earlier this morning, when I was about to leave.

 

Leaving. It was like only yesterday when I first arrived to the Byun household. I was so lost, so broken… so confused back then. I thought that I wouldn't be able to survive after that Great War, after my parents were mercilessly killed by the Myungnam warriors.

 

They were killed right before my eyes.

 

Right at that moment, I swore to the heavens that I will live, and will try hard to exist solely for myself. I learned how to look after myself, without anyone by my side. I thought I'll be fine on my own.

 

Until I met Lay.

 

I fought so hard not to let my emotions take the best of me, but the tears are just ready to fall now. I opened my eyes and gazed by the window, looking at the beautiful flowers grazing every front porch of the people of the Byun Province.

 

I'm leaving. I'm going away… away from my cradle that was the Byun Province.

 

Away from Lay.

 

"Luhan… are you feeling sick, my child?" I almost lost it until I heard my Lord's voice calling me. It burdens me that he calls me 'my child' everytime. I am everything and anything but someone's child. I have always been alone in the world.

 

I nodded in response, and swallowed the air that was trapped in my throat. "Ting haode*- I mean, I'm fine, my Lord." I wanted to slap myself hard. I've been talking to Lay in my native language nonstop last night, until I fell asleep.

 

He frowned. "Do not, in any way, speak to me in Chinese. How many times do I have to remind you?"

 

"J-Jwesonghamnida*." I slightly bowed, feeling so small in this big carriage. Although I understand why he would ask me this, I can't help but feel so inferior-- offended, if that's even allowed.

 

"Myungnam will be hell for people like you, you should have realized that when you chose to stay here, bastard." The voices from the past are haunting me again.

 

"Very well." I saw my Lord's face lighten up instantly. "You look absolutely lovely today, Luhan."

 

"My Lord, I am your humble servant who doesn't deserve such compliments from you." I can feel a tinge of red enjoying a spot around my cheeks right now. It makes me feel even smaller.

 

"You have always been really lovely, my child. My late wife would surely agree if she was with us right now. Jongin must have seen you somewhere and fell in love with you."

 

I blinked twice and looked at him with an apprehensive gaze. Truly, my Lord says a lot of ridiculous things when he's with me. Sometimes, even if I am completely aware that he's the wisest man that I've met, I can't help but think that he's so good in fooling around.

 

He even calls the Emperor, Jongin.

 

Jongin… is such a simple name. But when he says it, it sounds so powerful, full of might, and of grandeur. Like he raises the person in the highest place. In the sky. In the stars. Even beyond the unimaginable.

 

"Fell in love… with me? That would be really impossible, my Lord. Not even after my death." I bit my lip, the truth was slowly eating me up. Endless possibilities starting with 'what ifs?' clouding my mind.

 

As if reading what was on my mind, my Lord spoke. "You'll be working for Jongin in a short while. See, nothing is impossible in this world that we live in, Luhan."

 

Nothing is impossible. I creased my forehead, trying to digest everything. My mind was in a real mess since last night that I haven't thought about things properly. "I… I don't understand, my Lord."

 

"What is it that you don't understand?"

 

"Whys and hows…"

 

Lord Byun smiled softly, almost knowingly. "You really are wise for your age, my child. The more that we question the world, the more that we think about things in a different light… than others do."

 

I tried so hard to comprehend the things he say, but my cold hands and my fast-beating heart are already betraying me.

 

"Why me? How did he know… who I am?" The questions popped out of my mouth in a haste, and I covered it with my hands, bowing incessantly in front of my Master. "I'm so sorry, my Lord. I'm talking too much. I didn't mean to disrespect the Emperor and to speak so informally."

 

He waved a hand at me and surprisingly laughed.

 

"Calm yourself."

 

"I apologize, my Lord. I really didn't mean to-"

 

"Look at me Luhan."

 

I stopped bowing and looked at him. He turned to face me and carefully placed his hands over my shoulders. He looked through my eyes and the gaze was unwavering.

 

"Listen to me, no matter what people tell you, you are only to listen to Jongin. Only to him. Once we're inside the Palace, you will be his servant, and nobody else's. Luhan will be his faithful servant, and one of the people that he could whole-heartedly trust."

 

I nodded, not really having any choice but to do so, the pressure of all those words is making it hard for me to breathe.

 

"Only to Jongin, Luhan. He is your Emperor. Tell that to yourself everyday. Serve him like how you have served me. Be faithful to him more than you were ever faithful to Baekhyun. Do you understand me?"

 

I was about to say something but then he squeezed my shoulders comfortingly and spoke again. "I know you won't understand why I'm telling you that right now, but in time you would."

 

"As your servant, I'm willing to do as you say, my Lord." I felt my stomach turned upside down as I said those words. I'm more than sure that I was lying when I spoke.

 

How am I supposed to do what my Lord says?

 

"Kim Jongin, that Emperor Kai, is a useless man. Known him since he was that unpopular Prince who did nothing but be a wimp and cry. Never ever seen him fight back with all the bullying, that coward. Have you heard anything that he's done for his Empire? Nothing. He's a lucky bastard who took advantage of his father's pride. The poor soul of Suho must have been weeping right now. For two years we have been suffering from his fake reign. He deserves all the disrespect he's getting from the people of Myungnam. No one is really ever faithful to him. Not even Byun Baekhyun, or Park Chanyeol. I tell you that, Lu."

 

Lord Sehun's voice was suddenly playing in my head.

 

"Listen to your heart, Luhan. Not to your head." My Lord's voice overpowered my reverie, as I look at him, nodding in understanding.

 

"Listen to your heart, not to your head, Luhan."

 

That's what my dead mother would always tell me, even in my sleep.

 

 

"Luhan!"

 

The big, wooden door of the Imperial Palace opened and a voice startled me. I felt my eyes wide opened as a figure emerged in front of me.

 

"Lord Baekhyun…" My eyes landed on his, and a new feeling of happiness filled me.

 

I looked at his totality next, and never failed to notice how much he changed physically. He's become a man now. The last time I saw him, he was barely 18 years of age, straight out of puberty and still uncertain about things. He was so young. We were young.

 

Five years later, this is the Lord Baekhyun that I expect him to be-all grown up, wise, prestigious, a real man who came from a very respectable family.

 

He's Secretary Byun now.

 

He came out with some five people dressed in distinct grey robes-the Imperial Guardians, as far as I know.

 

My dear Lord unexpectedly smiled at me. "It really is nice to see you again, Luhan. I have longed to go back to the Province to spend time with you, but as you can see, it's quite busy here in the Palace. I hope Lay has been taking care of you."

 

His words were very warm that I had to resist the urge to give him an embrace.

 

Instead, I bowed and nodded in response, letting out the first real smile I'm having in days. "I am more than honored to be meeting with you again, my Lord. You've grown to be a fine man that everyone would be proud of. Indeed, Lay has been there for me. He told me to extend his greetings over to you. He wasn't able to meet with you the last time he was here."

 

"Ah. Yes, that's true-" He was about to blurt something but his attention was caught by a man coming in by the Palace door. "--I didn't know you were with him."

 

Lord Byun walked over to us and much to my surprise, he bowed next to Lord Baekhyun. The latter, in return, just stares at his father in front of him.

 

"It has been a while, my child. Baekhyun." Lord Byun acknowledged and let out a simple smile.

 

"I'm surprised you had the time to come here all the way from your precious study room." Lord Baekhyun spoke rather straightforwardly--although I can tell there was a slight hint of bitterness in his voice. He turned his back from us and started walking towards what seemed to be the entrance to the Palace.

 

I felt my throat drying up as Lord Byun started following the convoy, glancing at my side, asking me to follow him. I obliged and walked small steps to catch up.

 

The Palace was very different from what I had imagined. It was very huge! And I didn't really think it has a lot of people in it. I took a deep breath as I continue to appreciate the place. It was nothing I have ever seen before.

It's beautiful.

I can't believe I'll be staying here until who knows when.

 

We continued following Lord Baekhyun until we reached a hall, a small opening to what seems to be the Main Palace. We walked straight into a room filled with lots of parchments and books. My eyes were pleased and the smell of old parchments and ink wafted into the air.

 

"You can take a seat here as I prepare the documents. The Emperor is still in his deep slumber at this time." Lord Baekhyun finally spoke as he stands beside a study table. He then took out a set of parchments and his quill. He gestured me to come sit across from it, but I shook my head and hesitated.

 

"Come, Luhan, consider yourself a guest." He motioned for me to sit. I took a glance of Lord Byun, who was still being ignored by his son. It pains me to think that they still have this cold affection towards each other. It was nobody's fault and how I wished that they would just reconcile.

 

Lord Byun smiled at me and nodded, pulling me carefully towards a stool and letting me sit. I bowed down and looked at my hands in embarrassment.

 

"Soojung must have been cursing you since yesterday." Lord Baekhyun suddenly laughed as he finally looked at his father. "She shouldn't have come here. You shouldn't have ordered her to come here. I apologize if I destroyed all of your plans."

 

"Soojung is still very young. She doesn't understand what she's doing, or saying, sometimes." Lord Byun spoke calmly, like he always does. One of the hundred mysteries surrounding his personality.

 

His son laughed rather mockingly. "Come on now. Of course she knows what she's doing. She's nearing 21 now, she's old enough to decide on things."

 

"…She decided to stop growing up when you left her of that big responsibility."

 

There was silence in the room, and it feels like I should have just left to get some fresh air, so they can discuss things among themselves.

 

"It was bound to happen, and of all the people I'd expect to understand that, you were the first one to tell me I was being foolish-"
 

"Baekhyun, I speak to you now in full honesty and you should listen to me, I never meant to take hold of those words, I was just-"

 

"What's been said has been said, and you think I still care whether you mean them or not? As long as you don't do unwise things I would never get myself involved in your affairs, Lord Byun. I meant it when I told you those words five years ago. Now what have you been doing? Setting allegiance with Oh Sehun? Sending servants to his family for a year? The next thing I know you are asking me to go and marry. I know exactly what you were up to and you're not going to fulfill-"

 

"Byun Baekhyun."

 

Lord Baekhyun took a deep breath and stopped. It is when his father spoke in this kind of authority that he choose to control himself and his temper.

 

"This is not the right time for us to talk about these things. Let's just discuss this after our affairs with Luhan--"

 

"-Ah. This visit is so sudden, Master Yongsan." I turned my gaze to the direction of a deep voice. Someone barged in the room and as I was just about to find out to whom the voice belongs to, Lord Byun grabbed my arm and forced me to stand up. I was caught off guard that I almost stumbled.

 

"Jongin."

 

I struggled to gulp down some air as Lord Byun motioned me to bow down. I bowed down as low as I could until I felt myself kowtowing* instead.

 

That deep sounding voice... it sounded really familiar to me.

 

"Your Highness, this is new. You're up and you're here." I can feel Lord Baekhyun's struggle to talk formally.

 

"I woke up early and got bored. I was about to ask you to come with me and go to Byun Province. Well since Master Yongsan is here why don't we go and... And who is this person stepping into my private bureau?"

 

I swallowed hard. He must have been referring to me. I kept my head down on the floor for as hard as I could. Seriously, his voice gives me a chilly feeling.

 

This is the Emperor Kai.

 

"Your Highness, this is Xi Luhan, and he will be your personal maiden from now on." Lord Byun cleared his throat before speaking up. I can feel him already getting up and taking a bow before the Emperor. He then grabbed my arm to pull me up.

 

I was met by a set of dark brown eyes, examining my face closely. It was too hard not to look into those eyes-- and that long, brown hair that has been kept well, by the looks of it.

 

The Emperor is a handsome, young man. As I reflect, I don't think I've ever seen him before. Once you set eyes on him though, you can't help but get curious since he has this refined olive skin. Myungnam women often fall for the opposite. Nonetheless, nobody could deny how attractive he is.

 

"Personal maiden? I don't even need one. And I've got plenty of them in my Palace."

 

"You bought him from me, Your Highness. Your package yesterday clearly stated." Lord Byun continued, reaching over to give me a pat on my back.

 

"What? A package?"

 

"Your Highness, I shall have to explain everything-" Lord Baekhyun suddenly interfered but the Emperor raised his hand, signaling the Imperial Secretary to let him speak. The latter just nodded and obliged.

 

"Shh. I don't even know what this is all about, but it's not that I really care." The Emperor was still talking to Lord Byun. "And can you explain why, out of all the pretty maidens we have… my personal maiden has to be… a man?" He looked at me with uneasy but curious eyes, and my skin felt like it's going to burn anytime soon.

 

Lord Byun chuckled silently. "And I never thought you won't notice that. Our Luhan is just too beautiful to be a man, isn't he?"

 

I am not one who gets used to all of these words of admiration. Why is everyone being so warm all of a sudden?

 

Only Lay calls me beautiful. It is only when Lay tells me I'm beautiful that I'm convinced.

 

"Well, yes. He is." I blinked as I heard the Emperor speak, his voice gets deeper by the second. I gulped and looked down, aware of my cheeks getting all red again.

 

What in the world is this feeling?

 

"He can be a very good source of amusement. So, when shall he start?" I suddenly heard him yawn as he spoke so informally towards Lord Byun.

 

"As soon as we seal the deal, Jongin." Lord Byun just smiled.

 

"Lord Byun! Do not speak to His Highness in that manner." Lord Baekhyun furiously interrupted.

 

"It doesn't matter, Baekkie. At least someone still calls me by my name." I gazed at the Emperor and contemplated whether he was being serious or not. He looked like he meant what he said and somehow, I felt sadness in his deep voice.

 

"But still..." Lord Baekhyun cleared his throat and spoke in a formal manner, trying to divert the subject of the conversation. "Anyway, let's go back with our agenda. Lord Byun, for how much are you willing to sell your servant?"

 

Lord Byun looked back at him and smiled. "That would be dangerous to ask, Secretary Byun. For Luhan here… has a value equal to gold."

 

It took me exactly a millisecond to stop myself from clearing my throat. I saw the Emperor's raised brow as he scanned me quickly. "This thing… is worth a gold? Are you sure, Master Yongsan?"

 

This thing.

 

"Yes, he is. He is of that value, I believe. See, Jongin, not only is Luhan strikingly attractive, he can do almost anything, be it from household work, to a more intellectual work. He can read and write both in Goguryan and… in Chinese, unlike your many other maidens. He is a skilled merchant by experience, he struggled to live on his own for a few years by selling plum seeds. He is also a survivor of the Great War. With that, I meant he is also good in combat. Besides, he makes the most delicious sweet buns in the whole kingdom, you should definitely try that. The Ohs are actually willing to purchase him for a very huge amount of golden coins." Lord Byun stated confidently, and my head started to ache. This is all too much that I can take for one day.

 

Lord Baekhyun chuckled rather sarcastically. "His Highness is not at all interested in the Oh family's intentions. And to be quite frank, there's no need for a long speech, Father. I can personally endorse Luhan, seeing as he served me for 8 long years, more than he did to you. I know exactly what he is capable of doing."

 

"He served you for 8 years? I haven't met him before. And he can speak in fluent Goguryan? Even Chinese? That's pretty fascinating." The Emperor suddenly asked, he sounded interested for a second.

 

"Of course you won't… I mean-" Lord Baekhyun cleared his throat again, changing his tone to a formal one again. "There was never a chance where you could meet him before, Your Highness. I don't bring him along on the occasions that we meet. And yes, your highness, Luhan can speak and write both in Goguryan and Chinese. He came from a middle class family in Meng Kingdom."

 

"Ah. I see. Chinese, huh." The Emperor just shrugged and grabbed his ink. He signed the parchment after a few reads, not caring about anything. "Well then, that's a plus. So that's it. End of discussions, it's that easy. Baekhyun, make sure to pay Master Yongsan-hmm… your father, properly. The right amount of gold coins as much as he wishes."

 

I saw Lord Baekhyun's face put up a triumphant smile as he got the parchment and gave it to Lord Byun. "As you wish, Your Highness." He threw a smirk over his own father, as if mocking him, and turned his heel towards the door.

 

Lord Byun signed on the parchment and looked at me. He then put the parchment on the Emperor's table. I could not fathom what was it in his gaze… happiness? Sadness? Contempt? I'm not so sure.

 

"Then Luhan is officially yours, Jongin."

 

The Emperor smiled.

 

Hold on… he actually smiled?

 

"Sure. Expect my unexpected visit in your Province one of these days, Master Yongsan." He stood up and, not even bothering to say goodbye or to look at us, he left the room.

 

The Emperor, as what the rumors would say, really is kind of rude.

 

Lord Byun stood up as well, fixing the creases of his robe. "I'm off, my child. I am freeing you with all your responsibilities with the Byun family. Now you start anew and be the best that you can be with your Emperor."

 

He didn't really have to say it like that.

 

"I'm grateful for everything you've done for me, my Lord." I stood up quickly and kneeled in front of him, almost fearful about the fact that he'll leave me shortly.

 

"It is me who should thank you, for your devotion and for everything you've done for my family. Now… don't forget what I told you." He tapped my shoulder and held me up.

 

Be brave, Luhan. He's about to leave now.

 

I've never felt so helpless, so alone for a long time.

 

I nodded and kissed my Lord's hands. He just smiled, and at that moment I wanted to embrace him. But I fought the urge.

 

"Maintain that attitude and you'll go a long way, Luhan. Goodbye and may the Most Hallowed Mingzhi and Shin the Sage protect you by all means."

 

He left shortly after.

 

 

"Everyone, this is Xi Luhan, effective today he shall be the Emperor's personal maiden. As he is not yet familiar with the activities here in the Palace, I expect you to guide him and teach him everything that he has to learn about the Code of Ethics and when it comes to the Emperor, do you all understand?" Lord Baekhyun spoke authoritatively.

 

The Imperial servants, who were assembled in what they call the Main Hall, bowed in an almost synchronized movement.

 

"Yes, Secretary Byun." They all spoke at the same time too, as they all focused their gaze at me. I bowed at them in return.

 

I know what's been going through their minds right now. Why in the world is he here? A Chinese. A fake Myungnam citizen who out of nowhere is here to serve their Emperor. Traitors of our race. That's what they call us normally, and through the years I have learned to ignore all of the other stereotypes.

 

Lord Baekhyun patted my back. "Now, Luhan, I'm going to introduce you to the most important people in this household."

 

"Y-Ye." I replied rather nervously, not being used to all the attention everyone was giving me. And the curious gazes from the servants didn't help ease this restless feeling at all.

 

"I want you to meet General Park Chanyeol. He is the leader of the Imperial Army and the Imperial Guardians." He pointed to the tall man who was approaching our direction, a huge sword hanging loosely around his waist. "He is also one of the Emperor's right hand man, one of the most respected man in this Palace."

 

"What's with all the formality? Ya, Byun Baekhyun, are you too old to forget? I know Luhan. I came by your doorstep years ago, remember?" General Chanyeol stood beside me, and I felt really small to be standing next to him.

 

Not only because he stands so tall, but also he's one of the most important people in Myungnam. Every citizen in the kingdom probably knows him. I felt a little happy inside knowing that he remembered me. He grew up so well just like Lord Baekhyun to whom he's a close friend. I almost didn't recognize him, as it was also almost a decade since I last saw him.

 

"Ah. Well, I forgot." Lord Baekhyun rolled his eyes nonchalantly. "I apologize."

 

"You are a grandpa, Secretary Byun." General Park chuckled as he turned to face me and squeezed my shoulders. "You are just as how I remembered you, Lulu. Tell me, are you an immortal creature? You didn't even look older by a year though it was a long time since we last met, I swear."

 

I bowed, and as I don't know how to respond, I just smiled timidly. He's one of the few people who treated me nicely, and I will always be grateful for that.

 

He's the only one who would call me "Lulu" and not mock me for being Chinese.

 

"Now, now we can talk more later… Anyway, here's Lord-Official Do Kyungsoo from the Do Province, he is the Head of the State Affairs. Though you may not see him as regularly, it is important to know that he facilitates all of the Emperor's negotiations with the other Provinces, and if ever the Emperor needs to travel, he will be His Highness' companion." General Chanyeol pointed to a man with large expressive eyes. The man just merely nodded, ignoring the acknowledgement.

 

It looks like he's not in good terms with Lord Baekhyun, as I felt my Lord shrug at the sight of this man.

 

My Lord cleared his throat, not allowing the awkward silence to overpower the situation. "I know you're not at all familiar with how the Imperial Government works, but there are three important departments in the Court: The Secretariat, the State Affairs and the Imperial Army. General Park, Lord-Official Do and myself are the Heads of those departments."

 

I was about to tell him I knew all of that, how these things work and who leads what, but then I chose to stay silent. Of course, I always have to stay silent.

 

"However, the highest governing form is the Council and the Emperor of course. The Head of the Myungnam Council… by election is Lord Lee Jinki, but he chose to stay domiciled in his Province to manage the affairs of the family, so he won't be here in an everyday basis. You'll meet him soon though, the Council Meeting will be next week, and the Emperor is invited to come."

 

I just nodded in understanding, not quite believing that I'll get to know these people. It's like a dream, really.

 

"For the household matters, here are the people who you would be working with…" Lord Baekhyun gazed at the directions of the servants and gestured three people to come to the front.

 

He pointed to a man of average height, with jet black hair, and a perfectly carved jawline. His features are so distinct, and his gaze is strong on me. "This is Chen, the Royal Cook. As simple as that, I know you understand how important it is to communicate with him. He takes care of the Emperor's daily meals."

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, looking forward to be working with you, Luhan." The man curtly bowed.

 

As soon as I nodded and bowed, he then pointed to a woman who stands beside Chen. "The Head of the Maidens is Seohyun. She will be the one to teach you about Royal Etiquette and proper manners."

 

The woman smiled at me as I bowed. "Good morning, Luhan."

 

I think she's a nice person who gets along well with everyone.

 

"Lastly, Lady Kwon Yuri, a close relative of Chanyeol, is the Royal Librarian who is in charge of the Royal Library, obviously. She's the latest addition to the Imperial Court, being the only one who passed the Civil Examinations last year, a first for a girl in Myungnam."

 

I looked at her with awe. So she is that girl that Lay was talking about. She bowed at me, with a straight face. I simply bowed back and forced my lips to pull an awkward smile. She has this small face with gracefulness all around her. For a second, I wondered why she chose to work as a Civil servant when she could have been something else.

 

…Maybe, the Emperor's wife?

 

My gaze was turned to a cluster of men, wearing the distinct black and white robes this time (symbolizing the color of the Kim family's crest), each one has one or two swords clutched safely around their waists. They were arranged in columns in a disciplined manner.

 

"Behold, Luhan, the Imperial Army. A group of people who have been working for the Imperial family by choice. They and their fathers and great grandfathers have worked here for generations already. They are here to protect the Palace and most importantly, Emperor Kai. They may look fierce but really, they are all just like General Park in a way. Don't be surprised if they bow at you when you pass by one of them." Lord Baekhyun smirked calmly, earning a glare from the General who was just listening to him.

 

"Hey, what in the world does that mean, Baekkie?"

 

"Oh you know." Lord Baekhyun nodded knowingly and waved his hands, almost telling the General not to argue anymore.

 

The Secretary then pointed to a group of ladies standing in front of him. "And these ladies… are the Imperial maidens, they do all the household work and they have designated responsibilities in the Palace. As for you, however, you are only to attend to the Emperor's needs." They bowed as soon as they were acknowledged. 

 

I swallowed as I felt a lump on my throat. This is it then. "I understand, my Lord."

 

"Very well then. So now, we may resume with all our activities, everyone. Thank you." Lord Baekhyun waved a hand at everyone and the large crowd dispersed slowly.

 

He then patted my back again. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to tell me. I'm just in the Emperor's Bureau. You know your way there right? It's in the left wing if you go straight there." He pointed to the end of the Hall.

 

"T-Thank you very much, Lord Baekhyun."

 

 She called Seohyun's attention. "Seohyun, you may now show Luhan his room and everything there is in the Palace."

 

"Certainly, Secretary Byun."

 

"See you around, Luhan!" General Chanyeol waved and walked off with Lord Baekhyun towards the Emperor's Bureau.

 

Well then, Luhan, it commences.

 

 

"Don't forget to put these in the vases I told of you. Now tell me, which vases am I talking about again?"

 

"The purple one in the drawing room, the white one with a carved figure of a woman, and the yellow one by the bedside."

 

"Perfect. You're learning quite fast, Luhan." Seohyun smiled as she handed me the fresh sunflowers that we so carefully picked early this morning. This is officially my first day in the Palace, and I have spent most of the time yesterday just walking around with Seohyun. She asked me to just stroll and watch, and not bother to help with anything. You are not to do general household work, as instructed by Secretary Byun. Your real job starts with the Emperor's room.

 

I almost vomited just thinking about it. A personal Maiden, they say? They make it sound like… like I'm a lady… and worse, a concubine.

 

Oh what fate.

 

I erased all these peculiar thoughts, choosing to focus on what Seohyun was saying. She had been really nice and patient to me, asking me to be more comfortable with her since we're going to work closely together.

 

I'm impressed by her firm attention to details.

 

"His Highness also prefers to drink Camomile tea first thing in the morning. I got it for you for today, but tomorrow morning you should be the one to get it from Chen. He will also teach you how His Highness prefers his tea." As I nodded, she then held the silver tray resting on the table across the Emperor's room, gesturing me to open the door.

 

I hesitated. "Would it be alright to just barge in?" It really isn't my habit to not knock on the door, let alone if the highest official in Myungnam is sleeping vulnerably inside.

 

"As long as you mean no harm, which I won't doubt very much, looking at that sweet, innocent face of yours, it's perfectly fine. You are personally endorsed by Lord-Advisor Byun, so it will never be a problem. Besides, you are the Emperor's maiden. His personal maiden, may I repeat that to you. You have all the access to enter His Highness' room. You can go here for as much as you want, I believe." Seohyun smiled reassuringly.

 

"Well, isn't that too much?" I looked at the golden knob and turned it around with a hesitant expression on my face.

 

"You'll get used to it, Luhannie, trust me." She rested the tray on my arms instinctively, looking at me with a soft gaze. "His Highness prefers waking up on his own. He's usually still asleep by this time so just let him be. Now go and fulfill your duties." She spoke rather softly too, almost whispering, as she ushered me to enter the Emperor's room.

 

"I'll just leave e-everything here, r-right?" I don't want her to leave me yet. My chest has been way too restless ever since I stepped into the Palace.

 

"Neh. After that, you can go and have your breakfast with us, if ever the Emperor is still sleeping." She patted my back, almost rubbing it comfortingly until she stepped out of the room. "See you!"

And then, I was alone.

 

I walked all the way in, cautious of my steps, since the sound of a soft breathing started penetrating my ears. The Emperor might still be asleep.

 

It turned out to be a very spacious room, painted in a crimson, almost purplish color. There was a huge drawing room as Seohyun had described, and there stood about ten wooden shelves housing about a hundred of books. I stood in awe as the walls were decorated by various ornaments, and a tall, purple vase was standing proudly in the corner.

 

I wasted no time and settled the tray of food on the drawing room table, immediately jogged outside to come and get the set of flowers. As soon as I got back in, I put the fresh sunflowers on the vase, not resisting the urge to smell them. They looked so lovely… and it reminded me of home. Byun Province.

 

I gazed at my left and saw the huge bed positioned at the opposite corner of the drawing room. And there he was, Emperor Kai, sleeping soundly over the thick sheets of silk, completely undisturbed.

 

Once I was done with fixing the drawing room, I went over to the vase near the window, the white one with a carved figure of a woman and started putting the sunflowers one by one. I hummed a soft song in the process, closing my eyes as I completely imagine my small porch back at home. How I miss my sunflowers so much…

 

And then I remembered Lay.

 

My mind went all blank though, when a pair of warm hands encircled my torso, sweet morning scent infiltrated me as I feel those soft lips grazing the back of my neck. Suddenly, there was electricity flowing through my veins.

 

A deep, lazy voice was heard from behind me…

 

"Hmmm… good morning."

 

I was speechless for a few seconds.

 

 

 

 

 

//End of Third Chapter.

NOTES:

*Ting hao de - 'I'm fine' in Chinese.

*Jwesonghamnida - 'I'm sorry' in Goguryan/Korean.

Kowtowing - act of giving respect to a higher authority by genuflecting, your face almost touching the ground.
Like this:

 

A/N:

I actually posted this chapter A YEAR AGO but AFF had a technical shizz and this chapter was erased. The finished draft was resting peacefully in my ex-laptop which was reformatted. Well, imagine my luck. I had to rewrite everything from the drafts that were left in my phone.

 

--ANYWAY. I'm back, fellas.

 

All I really wanted to say is that this fic is so going to be finished no matter what.