Winds of Beginning, lead me to my happiness.

The Emperor's Maiden

 

A/N:

I just want to thank everyone who subscribed and commented. You have no idea how happy you made me. It was quite a stressful week for me and the only way to unwind was to divert my attention to something else. Hence, I write.

I want to apologize if it took so long for me to update (and for the next chapters I would like to say sorry in advance LMAO) I just had to organize my thoughts about the fic and plotting isn’t exactly that easy for me OTL. I even drew some diagrams and flowcharts and some thingymajiggies for this. LOL So there.

Oh. I know some of the terms may be unfamiliar, so I placed asterisks on them and you can read a more detailed explanation at the end of the chapter :)

ANYWAY. Enjoy ^^

The First Chapter: Winds of Beginning, Lead Me to My Happiness

 

“And you can put those documents here.” I pointed to a table at the left side of the Royal Library, and the maidens obeyed by putting all the scrolls in my desired place.

 

“Where’s the Emperor, by the way? Is he still asleep?” I asked as one maiden dusted the seat off before I sat down, opening the scrolls one by one, not bothering to look around. My day is just about the start, and I expect it to be a tiring one too, as always.

 

“Certainly, Secretary Byun. His Highness has wished to have an undisturbed sleep on Saturday mornings.” One of the maidens answered and bowed.

 

I sighed. As expected of this brat.

 

“You may all leave. Just tell the tutor that he could come tomorrow for his History lessons with the Emperor.” I waved a hand to the maidens, signaling them to leave me alone. I need this time to analyze the letters sent by the merchants of the Lee Province. The maidens, knowing that I adored silence, bowed and left the library to myself.

 

I browsed through all the scrolls. Desires to cooperate with the Chinese merchants in Meng Kingdom. We need the help of His Highness to solve some irreconcilable differences between the merchants by signing the Free Trade Pact. In this way, we can take advantage of Chinese goods and we ensure the successful export of the best Myungnam products in China. This was basically a short summary of the letter.

 

I frowned as I looked at the date written at the upper corner of the letter. This letter was sent four months ago! Why the delay? I’m sure the Emperor wasn’t able to read this yet. And even if he does read this, he still wouldn’t sign the Pact.

 

I know this because as far as I know, this is the fifth letter to be sent to him regarding this matter. All four previous letters were left unanswered.

 

I massaged my temples. I was presently in the situation where I couldn’t do anything. As much as I wanted to interfere with the affairs of the merchants, it isn’t my job. Only the Emperor has the right to meddle into these types, with the help of the Myungnam Council.

 

Unfortunately, I am no longer a part of this Council.

 

“Why the frown, Baekhyun?”

 

I was startled by the sudden intrusion of a deep sounding voice. I glanced to my right and in my peripheral vision I saw General Park casually leaning over a bookshelf. I am completely aware that there was a smirk in his face even when I wasn’t looking.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you not to disturb me during this time of the day?” I grabbed my ink and began scribbling notes on the scrolls. I felt him walking closer and sat on a seat across mine.

 

“Oh come on. This isn’t called disturbing.”

 

“If it isn’t, then what’s it called?” I asked sarcastically, a grin gracing my lips, eyes never leaving the parchment on which I was writing.

 

“You don’t really have to be that mean, you know.” I heard a sigh after, and I’m assuming he’s pouting now.

 

“Oh. Am I bullying the almighty General Park Chanyeol now?” I rested my ink and looked at him, still grinning.

 

“You’re the only one who does that, honestly.” He faked his pitiful voice, and then laughed afterwards. Seriously, sometimes this man can be such a kid.

 

I just replied with a simple smile and my attention was back to the scrolls.

 

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun, don’t you get tired of reading and writing all day? It’s a nice, sunny morning. Let’s get out of here and have some tea. I’m planning to wake that lazy up to come with us.”

 

I stopped writing and looked up again, unsure if what I heard was right. But then again, I know that it really was.

 

“I wish you luck on that, General Park.” I shook my head, fighting the urge to laugh at his suggestion.

 

“Are you underestimating me?” I saw him finally smirking, as if what I said was a big joke. “Isn’t he supposed to resume his History lessons this afternoon?”

 

“If you asked the maidens, they would say that it’s a bad idea to wake him up. Do you remember the last time someone tried to wake him up on a Saturday morning? That poor maiden must have been traumatized.”

 

“Psh. I don’t care if it’s a Saturday morning. And I’m not his poor maiden. He’s going to wake up to have tea with us.” Chanyeol said with conviction.

 

And more often than not, if Park Chanyeol says something, it comes true.

 

 

“YAAAAAAAH, what the hell is your problem? Let go of me! It’s still so early in the morning, aish Chanyeol!” Once again, I fought the urge to laugh as I watch the poor kid being dragged out from his Royal bed.

 

You might never believe me when I say that this poor kid is actually the Emperor of Myungnam, the first one at that. Well yes. And for two years, I have been working under him as the Imperial Secretary. I was one of the few individuals who were lucky enough to not have to take the Civil Service examinations again to be able to serve the Emperor because I was once a part of the Myungnam Council.

 

I had the opportunity to meet this Emperor when we were younger. My grandfather, who was a member of the late King Suho’s Royal Court, would always bring me along with him. At that time, I didn’t understand why he would always force me to talk to “Prince Jongin, he’s the youngest son of the King. I figured he should have at least one friend. Go and talk to him, Baekhyun.” Turned out this Prince Jongin was very fond of my grandfather and has asked him whether he has a grandson around his age. Some awkward conversations later, we formed a pretty close bond that no one really knew of, at that time, except for my grandfather of course.

 

Kim Jongin was the least popular of all King Suho’s sons. He was born some years, to a woman of lower rank, after the King’s immediate marriage to Princess Jia. He was the subject of all the bullying of his step brothers and stepsisters, and they would often mock him in public. Believed to be born as a result of an accident (and adultery, of course), his mother despised him too, frequently cursing and hitting him, calling him a ‘bad luck’ because his birth wasn’t called for.

 

That didn’t stop me though, from maintaining that bond, even after the death of my grandfather. As much as it would be quite shameful to be friends with the least popular Prince at that time, it doesn’t hurt to make friends with someone like him, really.

 

And I don’t regret anything.

 

On the other hand, we met Chanyeol once in an event held by the Hwang family in the Park Province. At that time, I was a part of the Council serving under King Suho. Chanyeol was then a budding heir to be the Head of the Province and to celebrate his coming of age, his wealthy family arranged a small gathering of the nobles.

 

Everyone would say that it was then and there that our friendship, more important than ranks and families, started.

 

Except that somehow, fate had played with our lives. Who would have thought that the once shy and unpopular Prince Jongin who no one paid attention to would suddenly rise to power to become the kingdom’s first ever Emperor? Even Chanyeol and myself wouldn’t even dare thinking about it.

 

But then, it happened.

 

I was at the brink of my flashback when I felt a soft cushion hit my face hard. I glared and saw that the Emperor was throwing things at me and Chanyeol.

 

“I don’t want to! Get out of here, you two! You’re disturbing my precious sleep!” The Emperor basically hid under his soft mattress, his voice being muffled by two pillows covering his face.

 

Chanyeol caught my gaze and showed me his signature smirk. Now things are going to get interesting.

 

“But His Highness is already awake when I entered his room.” He sat down by the edge of the Royal bed, making his deep sounding voice calm and… as usual, with conviction, doing his best to fake it.

 

“I don’t care. Get out or I’ll send someone to drag you out.” The Emperor clutched tighter onto the pillows, unwilling to make a move. I saw that he still has his sleeping robe on, and it’s already 10 in the morning. Seriously.

 

We could only act like this towards His Highness whenever we’re alone. Outside these walls, he is Emperor Kai, the one who holds the highest importance in this Palace, in the whole of Myungnam… the one who is supposed to be respected and loved by his subordinates.

 

Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for Kim Jongin. We don’t really know why there was such a drastic change in his attitude. From a shy boy, he grew up to be a hard-headed, almost child-like man. In the night of his deliberation as the First Emperor of Myungnam, he even stated that he isn’t all interested in politics and we may all have to rely everything in the Council in governing the Empire. At first I was ticked off by the things he said but then I thought maybe he was just overwhelmed by the fact that he’s now an Emperor.

 

In the last two years, we at the Palace have gotten used to his laidback attitude, not willing to learn anything and just slack off. Of course, it was expected that a lot of people will revolt against him because of this, but having the support of two respectable noblemen, meaning myself and General Park, the citizens couldn’t do anything. They could only talk, but that’s just it. No more, no less.

 

“Even Shin the Sage himself didn’t object, he didn’t even question his leadership and just let him slack off without doing anything for the Empire! What is this?!”

 

“He is not fit to be our leader, that kid. There was a mistake!”

 

“How could we let Myungnam suffer from the irresponsibility of the fake Emperor?!”

 

It’s amusing how they even call him the ‘Lazy Emperor’.

 

Believe it or not, I was at the point of accepting the fate of Myungnam under these lazy hands. But then again, I believe in my gut feeling. I know something will happen in the near future. I can sense it because Mingzhi has told me that these things happened for a reason, and somehow, I believe in him.

 

“And aren’t you supposed to do a lot of things today, Your Highness? Secretary Byun here told me you have History lessons this afternoon, and you are scheduled to have a meeting with your… aherm… prospective wives.” Chanyeol spoke in a very serious manner that it made me burst into fits of laughter. He looked at me and smirked again, shaking his head as if he has done something mischievous.

 

“You are very well informed that I do not take interest in those… useless matters.” We were shocked to find a yawning Emperor who gets up all of a sudden and starts to rub his eyes, refusing to join me in laughter.

 

“Ah yeah… after you told everyone that you prefer sleeping with men, I have no doubt that you would find that meeting unnecessary, Your Highness.” I said quite matter-of-factly, with a tinge of sarcasm in my voice.

 

The Emperor was almost glaring at me. “Byun Baekhyun.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I was not referring to the meeting with my future consorts. With the grace of the Gods I would be more than willing to meet up with all the beautiful girls… and boys… of this kingdom.” The Emperor suddenly got out of his bed and went straight to his wardrobe, ignoring my and Chanyeol’s stares of disbelief.

 

Chanyeol suddenly chuckled. “So His Highness really preferred sleeping with men but—”

 

“Secondly, I was actually referring to that boring History lesson with an equally boring and ugly teacher.”

 

As much as I would expect him to say that, it didn’t stop my precious jaw to drop instantly. “His Highness should know that it’s important.”

 

I saw Chanyeol controlling his chuckles but as soon as I threw him a deathly glare, he instantly got the message. “Secretary Byun is right, Your Highness. It is very, very, really, really essential to study History, and Myungnam Politics of course. It would be of great help to you. We can get another teacher if His Highness would prefer.”

 

The Emperor immediately sighed, almost as if ignoring what we were telling him. “Let me tell you once again, you two. Do not call me ‘His Highness’ or ‘Your Highness’. It doesn’t really make any sense. Call me by my name.” He took off his sleeping robe and put on his violet one, the one he uses if he’s going outside to stroll around.

 

I gazed at Chanyeol and saw him gazing back at me, and for the first time we were out of words.

 

I cleared my throat and tried to sound as casual as possible. “That would be really… awkward.”

 

“What in the world is awkward with calling me by my name?! You used to call me that. You all used to call me Jongin.” There was an obvious glum in his voice, it was like talking to a child who was deprived of personal attention. He grabbed something from his wardrobe, something like a purple ornament and played with it with much interest.

 

Chanyeol was just looking at me, still refusing to speak. Ah. This one of those times when he completely relies to me in knocking some sense out of this… person.

 

“Seriously, if His Highness would really devote time to read and learn the Code of Ethics, then it would be easier for me to explain why we, as Imperial Officials, are forbidden to address you as… as how you wish we would.”

 

“Ahhhhh stop this nonsense talking.” The Emperor suddenly got up and marched over to the door, not minding to open it on his own.

 

“But that isn’t nonsense.” I followed along, Chanyeol tailing behind me.

 

“Everything is nonsense. This stupid Imperial stuff is all nonsense to me! Where are my maidens?” The Emperor’s voice sounded so imperative that we just stayed silent, and besides, once we leave his room, we should by all means, respect him.

 

We sat by our usual place in the Palace backyard, where the plum trees are beautifully grown, and the smell of fresh flowers linger around. I barely have time to go here by myself because I had to fulfill my duties, but this is one of the rare moments when the Emperor is in the mood to go out, so maybe I can spare some time with him and Chanyeol.

 

The maidens soon came and served tea, and as much as I dislike it, I obliged to sip a cupful when Chanyeol happily poured for me, but then I had to spit it out immediately (quite dramatically as well) because I could recognize the taste.

 

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun! Couldn’t you at least show some table manners?” Chanyeol glared at me, at the same time offering his scarf. I coughed as the bitter taste of plum tea lingered in my throat.

 

“You know very well that I don’t drink this disgusting concoction!” I willingly grabbed his scarf and wiped my mouth.

 

“Disgusting? How could you say that? This is my favorite tea!” Chanyeol whined in an almost childish way.

 

“I don’t like it, end of story.” I just shrugged him off, and asked one of the maidens to bring me jasmine tea instead.

 

The Emperor was just sipping casually while watching our little argument, glancing at his teacup every once in a while. “It tastes fine in my opinion.” He managed to make an effort to say his opinion. I’m impressed.

 

I saw Chanyeol suddenly smiling. “It tastes brilliant, isn’t it?”

 

“What kind of tea is this, if I may ask?” The Emperor looked like a lost kid who tasted water for the first time in his life.

 

“Well, the maidens told me this was from the Oh Province. They are quite popular for plum teas—”

 

“Oh, please. I bet that’s the only thing they managed to learn from The Most Hallowed Feng*.” I rolled my eyes and tried to cut Chanyeol’s sentence but then he pursued, his eyes glaring at me then back to the Emperor.

 

“—so I quickly ordered them to brew some. Apparently, one maiden was from the Oh Province and she can prepare the most delectable plum tea in the whole Palace. So there you go, we’re very fortunate, Your Highness.” The General smiled at the Emperor and took a sip of his tea.

 

“Ah, very well.”

 

I was about to say something else, when a maiden suddenly walked over to where we are and bowed.

 

“What is it?” The Emperor asked rather annoyingly.

 

“Forgive me for interrupting your discussion, Your Highness, a visitor would wish to see and talk to Secretary Byun.” The maiden retreated and bowed.

 

“Who would want to disturb my leisure time?” I asked, with the same tone of voice as the  Emperor’s earlier.

 

I could tell that the maiden was becoming awkward, almost sorry that she disrupted our leisure time. “I-It is the… the Head of the Byun Province, Secretary Byun.”

 

I froze, neglecting the ridiculous visage of this woman as I met the Emperor’s gaze. He has this look that I could not discern. I stood up, not really sure what to do.

 

Chanyeol was looking at me too. “You two should discuss important things, I suppose?”

 

I shook my head, confusion began circling my head. “There’s nothing to talk about. I don’t even know why—”

 

“Just go and talk.” I almost jumped when Chanyeol cut me. He grabbed his tea cup and casually drank, then resumed talking with the Emperor about stupid plum teas and what makes them special.

 

I rolled my eyes, not even caring to excuse myself and walked straight to my personal working room, thinking things through.

 

It has been a while, really… since I saw her. Barely two years, perhaps? I’m not even sure. One thing’s for sure, though… the last time we met was not at all a happy memory to remember.

 

I was in these deep thoughts that I didn’t realize I was already in front of my bureau. I almost jumped as I saw Soojung, the Head of the Byun Province as of the present.

 

She also happens to be my younger sister.

 

“Baekkie.” She fakes a smile, as if I couldn’t see right through her façade.

 

I opened the door to my bureau, not even bothering to ask her to come in. “Let’s not be pretentious, Soojung.”

 

She sighed and have herself seated across my table. “Come, come, now. Why, you seem to be enjoying yourself here more nowadays my dear brother.”

 

“Shut it. What do you want, exactly? It better be worth wasting my time.”

 

“Weren’t you longing to see me? I was expecting you would come and give me a hug like when we were younger.” She gave me an irritating smile which could seriously cause me to rip some parchments.

 

“Tell me straight. Why are you here?”

 

“Aish, you’re no fun.” She caressed her brown hair gently, weighing her words, as if she rehearsed it over and over before coming here. “Anyway, I’m just here to relay a message from Father…”

 

I knew it. That man just doesn’t have the heart to come here personally, nor to even write to me, does he? He really had to send this feisty brat all the way from the Province just to give me a damn message.

 

I tried to sound calm. “I’m listening.”

 

“Since you want it fast and straightforward, Father wants you to marry.”

 

I raised a brow. “What?!”

 

“I don’t really need to repeat right? You aren’t deaf or stupid, Baekhyun.”

 

I glared at her. “Why would he ask me to do that? I’m not the one who’s supposed to be bringing him an heir.” This isn’t quite… right.

 

“Where are you arriving at, exactly?”

 

“You’re not stupid either. You’re the one who should marry and give him a son.”

 

“Don’t be a freak, brother. You know that he doesn’t trust me that much. And he treasures you like gold, you ingrate.” That’s just how she is, and would always be. Sharp tongued, rebellious, and troublesome. She hasn’t changed one bit.

 

“Then give him all the right reasons to trust you. You’re the Head of the Byun Province for all goodness’ sake!”

 

“Do you think it’s that easy?! You can say that because you had an easy life.”

 

I may have to admit that she’s right, and it was unfair that I left her to carry on the burden of being the Head of the Province. But then again, I didn’t have any choice back then.

 

“Soojung.”

 

“I despise you, Baekhyun.”

 

I sighed, not knowing what to say. I don’t really know what happened with my relationship with my sister. We were once sharing a very tight relationship… until the Great War started and I had to pass on the responsibility to her. Being right under Father’s nose isn’t a very pleasant situation to be into. And knowing my sister too well, she had to give up her rebellious ways for the sake of family honour, according to Father’s words.

 

“I don’t blame anything on you, Soojung. But just know that I am not going to marry anytime sooner. Please make sure to tell Father my exact words. I know what he’s planning, and I’m in no way going to help him make that come true.”

 

“As you wish. Oh. And there’s something you should know. Well, Father doesn’t want you to know but I really think you should.” It’s as if I didn’t say anything and I saw her grinning again.

 

I stared at her, waiting for her to continue.

 

“Your dear Luhannie will be sent to the Oh Province again.”

 

“What in the—that’s ridiculous!” I creased my forehead, my voice a bit louder. I saw Soojung’s lips form into a triumphant smile as soon as she heard me.

 

“What’s ridiculous? Isn’t it perfect? We’ll gain allegiance to the Ohs once they have decided to buy him, for real. Not many families come into good terms with them, not even the Parks, or the Lees.”

 

“You don’t know them. They work in the Black Market that’s why the Lee family despises them to the core. They’re dangerous people to mingle with.” Well… I should think of a better excuse.

 

“And what’s it to us? We’re not the ones being sold anyway, the only important thing is we gain their trust, and that’s about it.”

 

“It still doesn’t make any sense.” I clenched my first.

 

Luhan was my faithful servant who has been with me since I was 10 years old. He was older than me by two years but people would often mistake him for being my younger brother. Even if I admit it or not, he really looked like he doesn’t age. He came to be my servant after our retainer has asked my father if he could live with us. My father, who pretends to be a righteous man, accepted him but on the condition that he has to take care of me until I become the Head of the Province. I wasn’t that fond of Luhan for a long time, being Chinese for one (I have this uncontrollable abhorrence towards their race), and probably because he’s the most patient human being that I’ve ever met, and I hate patient people.

 

I also hated Luhan’s smiles before, and how he was trying to not be Chinese when in fact, it shows in everything that he does.

 

He's also too beautiful to be a man.

 

It would change though, when the time came and I had to leave home. I was Head of the Province earlier than expected (Most heirs are elected when they reach 21, but I replaced my father as soon as I was 17) and surprisingly, after a few years, I was elected as the Head of the Myungnam Council, and it would mean that I have a position in King Suho's Royal Court, whose condition is getting weaker because of a disease. The travel from Byun Province to Shin City was the most painful of all, as I was drowned in thoughts about not being able to see my family anymore, and of course, Luhan.

 

The only time that I came to appreciate his existence, was when I started working as a Myungnam Council member… he wasn’t around me anymore.

 

Damn, has it really been about 5 years since I last saw Luhan?

 

I just hear stories about him through our family retainer*, Lay, who travels back and forth from Byun Province to Shin City to deliver some important documents to me. Both of Chinese descent, they could understand each other better. Lay tells me how Luhan was sent to my most despised place—the Oh Province, to serve the Oh family for a year. When I asked Lay why, I only got a “Your father doesn’t wish to disclose anything, my lord, but he seems to be coming into better terms with the Oh family” from him.

 

But of course, I knew my father’s intentions… I have always known. And I can’t let the Oh family take control of my insane father’s mind. That would be really dangerous.

 

“It’s only logical, Baekhyun. You see, Luhan hasn’t been of any use, or value, since you weren’t home anyway. He has always been useless to me to be quite frank. I don’t even know why Father took him in. A good for nothing stranger.” She grinned mockingly, and I have always despised her annoying habit of badmouthing people.

 

“I don’t care about what you think. There is no way that one of our servants is going back to that hell of a family.” I gritted my teeth. There are too many thoughts encircling my head at the moment.

 

“And who are you stop that, hmm?” Soojung walks closer and gave me another infuriating smirk.

 

“I am Luhan’s Master.” I said rather authoritatively, and it was more like I wanted to assure that to myself.

 

“Let me correct you, you were his Master, Secretary Byun. The moment you stepped out of our household, he became my servant. And give me a break, since when have you ever cared about that Chinese bastard? And why are we even arguing about him? He’s just a servant, for the love of Shin.” She asked, one of her brows raised a bit.

 

“Shut it.” I sat down and grabbed a scroll and ink. I need to work on my thoughts. I began scribbling.

 

My sister was being the annoying brat again. “This is just so perfect brother. You’re going to get married, well… let’s say to a very pretty lady—”

 

“Shut up.”

 

"I know of one who father adores. She’s from the Hwang family and—”

 

“Aren’t you going to stop?” I stopped writing.

 

“And next week I’m going to dump Luhan to the Ohs and I’ll go straight to the Emperor and ask for a meeting—”

 

“I just ordered you to shut up, Byun Soojung! SHUT YOUR MOUTH!” I fisted my working table so hard that my knuckles wanted to bleed. My pathetic sister widens her eyes in shock, takes a deep breath and glares at me, but soon regretted it as I glared back.

 

“You didn’t just t-tell me to shut—”

 

“I did, and I don’t care if you’re a member of the Myungnam Council. I am the Emperor's Secretary and this is my bureau, which is coincidentally, the Emperor’s bureau as well. You are under mine and the Emperor’s territory, so I’m ordering you to shut your mouth and listen to what I’ll be telling you.”

 

I looked straight into her eyes, my voice was stern, and I seemed to have threatened her. She went silent and looked down, her breath was controlled. She knows perfectly well that no one messes with Byun Baekhyun when he is furious.

 

“Good, so now you’re listening.”

 

She hissed, “Damn you.”

 

“Well I guess I am. Now. You better listen to me. Once you arrive home you should gather everyone and read the contents of this scroll. Make sure that everyone, including Lay, would hear it.” I signed the scroll and rolled it, placing the Emperor’s Official Imperial Seal on top of the parchment. Inside was a short, but important message.

 

I saw her smirking. “Oh how about I don’t bring it home? Or how about I bring it but I throw it out the window of my carriage on my way home?”

 

She’s pushing me to my limits. Seriously.

 

“Do not underestimate me.”

 

“There’s only you and me in this room, dear brother. No one bears witness of the authenticity of that scroll.”

 

I stood up, picking up the scroll and handing it over to her, who still refused. “You see, the Emperor has given me this,” I pointed to the seal. “The Imperial Seal*, as a sign of my loyalty. There is only one of this kind and only messages from the Emperor are sent with this.”

 

She looked so confused so I continued. “Once a parchment is marked with the Seal, it only means that the message is from the Emperor himself.”

 

“I can’t quite comprehend this matter that you’re—”

 

“This is a message from the Emperor, and I’m certain that you’re aware how rare it is for His Highness to send a message.” Thinking about it, the ‘Lazy Emperor’ hasn’t sent a message for about a year now. “And you know how it is being prioritized by the Guardians of the Imperial Barriers*. Once I call the attention of all the Guardians in every Barrier, they will track down your carriage and they will send a representative to come and check if the package was properly sent.”

 

She seems to be getting my point now. I saw her clenching her fists in annoyance “You… Are you trying to make fun of me? Do you think you can threaten me just like that? I h-have Lay to protect me!”

 

“Don’t be so stupid, Soojung. Lay works for Father, not for you. And this package is specifically for Father. He would make sure the package from the Emperor would arrive safely on Father’s hands, I’m very sure of that.” I chuckled mockingly as I grab her hands and place the scroll on them. She fidgeted for a while, but I’m almost sure that I’ve won the fight.

 

“W-What is this all about? What in the world are you planning, Byun Baekhyun?!” Soojung grabbed the scroll and was just exchanging looks from it to me in disbelief, too afraid to open the piece of parchment, at the same time angry because I outsmarted her.

 

I just smiled.

 

“…The Emperor would be willing to buy Xi Luhan as his personal Maiden.”

 

 

 

//EndofFirstChapter.

 

NOTES:

 

*The expression The Most Hallowed is what the citizens of Myungnam call the Six Gods. Their leader is called Shin the Sage.

 

*Retainer – Someone who protects a certain family/person. A retainer must be strong both in combat and in stamina. For Lay’s case, he was bought by Baekhyun’s father so he is technically working for him, but in turn he’s also protecting the whole family as well.

 

*The Imperial Seal – Just like how Baekhyun described it, the Imperial Seal is a special seal only used for packages or scrolls sent personally by the King (or in Kai’s time, the Emperor). It is a small casket made of gold, engraved inside is the Imperial signature. It works with a special ink that when people see it, they can tell easily that it’s a message from the Emperor himself. As soon as Baekhyun was made Royal (now Imperial) Secretary, Emperor Kai presented him the Imperial Seal as a gift, symbolizing his trust.

 

*Guardians of the Imperial Barrier – as the Empire is divided into Provinces, King Suho proposed the idea of having Barriers, or entrance points on all the Provinces, where the Guardians (same function as modern day Security Guards) are stationed 24/7. It’s been known that the Guardians in Shin City are the prime members of the Park family and their relatives up to third degree.

 

**

A/N:

Whoooopeeee! Tell me what you think please please please. Is it boring? Any areas where I can improve and all sorts? (You can even fangirl with me LOL. Have you already seen the Myungyeol hug in Idol Championships? abdjbsjadj Kay out of topic XDD) Oooh, and I’m sure there are lots of errors because this is unbeta-ed :P

 

Annnd I’ll stop talking now.