Just Call Me Sunny (SunSun)

One-shot Collection [hiatus]

“’Cause I can’t stop thinking ‘bout you girl...I’m going to make you mine,” Sungmin belted out his part with all his effort, that not being any small feat since he was already quite exhausted. Super Junior was running through the routine for “U” one last time after a very long, grueling day of practice. “No I can’t stop thinking ‘bout you girl…I want us to be together,” Donghae finished up after him and (thank God), the song finished up as the last echoes of the chorus and Yesung-hyung’s ad-libs died out.

Sungmin stayed perfectly still in his position, panting heavily and sweating all over. It was right then, a cheerful, aegyo-filled and (female?) voice broke through the tense atmosphere in the practice room and chirped, “I have drinks, everyone!”

A small, short, petite girl was standing in the doorway of the room, both hands full with plastic bags containing exactly thirteen cups of bubble tea, one for each Super Junior member. Despite that, Sungmin didn’t know who she was- although she did look very familiar, as if he had definitely seen her from somewhere. Her bright, radiant smile and bubbly cheerfulness startled him a bit and he became quite confused.

All the other guys perked up at the sight of the boba-filled beverage and immediately started swarming towards her, only stopping when their leader Leeteuk-hyung took order. “Hey, hey! One at a time, you animals- you’re gonna trample her down!” their leader scolded them lightheartedly, taking a cup for himself.

Heechul-hyung downed half of his bubble tea in one gulp and said, “Yah, Sunkyu you’re the best…” Everyone else agreed with him and the girl blushed and said, “No, it’s just something from the girls and I…they just sent me to give it to you guys…” Sunkyu…Sunkyu…do I know anyone by that name? Sungmin wondered to himself as he strode over to get himself a cup of bubble tea.

When the girl caught sight of him, her eyes suddenly seemed to bug out of her face and her face turned bright pink as she exclaimed, “S-Sungmin-sunbaenim?!” Sungmin stared at her confusedly, surprised and slightly taken aback said, “Y-Yes?” Sunny quickly whipped out a cup of bubble tea and gave it to him, nearly sloshing everything out in the process with how excited she was and immediately bowed down at a 90 degree angle. “Omo...Sorry about that and excuse my manners but…it’s just that…I-I-I’ve always been a really big fan of yours, Sungmin-sunbaenim! I really respect you- you have so much talent!”

This time, Sungmin was really surprised and startled (she really had a knack for startling him). He had admitted before that it was true that he was well-rounded with his abilities of singing and dancing…but never before had he really considered it a good thing or a gift. Ever since Super Junior came together, Sungmin always remembered envying everyone for their talents that made them stand out- Eunhyuk, Donghae and Shindong with their amazing dancing skills, Siwon and Kibum’s charm that made them the popular “faces” of Super Junior, Ryeowook, Yesung –and later, Kyuhyun’s- stunning vocal abilities. He loved his hyungs and dongsaengs of Super Junior like brothers and always admired and acknowledged his fellow bandmates’ talents…but he always wondered if he could ever find something in himself that would make him somewhat special too.

Sungmin studied the girl that stood in front of him and realized that she was really quite pretty. Her hair was long and flowing, and gleamed in silkiness. Suddenly self-conscious of himself, he said, “W-Well…thank you very much, Sunkyu-ssi.” What a nice name that was…Sunkyu… “But um, have I, uh, seen you before? I mean, you seem quite familiar, but I can’t recall…”

“Yah! Sungmin, you pabo!” Yesung cut in as he had been watching them the whole time and lightly rapped the younger on the head. “Haven’t you been paying attention to the world around you recently? Sunkyu’s a member of the newly-debuted group, So Nyuh Shi Dae!” The girl blushed heavily and said, “Oppa, call me Sunny!” It then instantaneously hit Sungmin- that’s why she looked so familiar! Of course he knew what she looked like, especially since-

“Hey, Sungmin,” Heechul said and a poorly concealed mischievous grin spread across his face. “Isn’t dear Sunny the one you said was the cutest one when we were watching their video for their debut single?” Sungmin immediately turned from pink to bright scarlet red and shot Heechul a dirty glare. It wasn’t because it wasn’t true, it’s just…gah! Why’d Heechul have to say that out loud?! Especially in front of her!

The other guys were whistling and teasing him while she stared at him, wide-eyed. Totally at a loss for what to say, both from the embarrassment of his bandmates and from her intent stares, he managed to stutter, “S-Shut up, hyung! What the hell do you think you’re talking about…I-I mean…not that you’re not cute, you really are, I mean, wait, what? I-I-…Argh!”

Sungmin growled in pure frustration, but Sunkyu only gave him a small, shy smile which strangely put him at ease. Just then, something beeped and she hurriedly took out her phone, her eyes bugging out when she checked it. “Omo! I’m so sorry to leave, sunbaenim- but the girls and I are scheduled for something REALLY important!” Sungmin said, “No, no, it’s fine. You go on, Sunkyu- you’ve already done a lot for us, what with you buying us drinks…” She smiled at him and said that it wasn’t a problem. When she was almost out the door, she suddenly turned and said to him, “Just call me, Sunny, sunbaenim!” And she left, leaving him in a state of confusion.

 

 

“Hyung! Why’d you have to say that to her?” Sungmin complained to Heechul later that night when everyone had settled into the dorms. Heechul, greatly amused, simply said, “What? I was really doing both of you a favor, especially since anyone with eyes can tell that she totally has a crush on you…” Sungmin let out an exasperated sigh and said, “That’s just bull, hyung…”

“Sungminnie…does this mean you’re leaving me?” Kyuhyun whined jokingly from the couch. “I…I thought we had something together! Noooo….” The maknae started to fake-cry , and Sungmin, laughing, went over to his side and hugged him saying, “No way, Kyu- I still totally love you!” thus putting up their “KyuMin” brotherly love act. The maknae pretended to sniff and glare at Sungmin accusingly while smirking a bit. “Oh really- it doesn’t seem so after you turned so red and stuttered so much talking to Sunny~~~…”

Sungmin, somewhat hurt, said, “Hey! I thought you were on my side!” Heechul peeked his head in again and remarked, grinning, “I taught him well.” Sungmin pretended to pout and said, “You’re all terrible people and I’m going to bed.” He heard Heechul and Kyuhyun chuckle to themselves as he went up to his dorm room he shared with the maknae. And as much as he would have liked to deny it, he could still hear Heechul and Kyuhyun’s words in his head as he tried to fall asleep.

 

 

A week had passed. Their promotions for their second album were finally coming to a close and Sungmin was really relieved. One rare day he had a day off, he managed to make the most of the day, tidying up the room he shared with Kyuhyun and just sort of lounging around, enjoying this temporary day of relaxation. When twilight began to dim the skies and the pretty lights of Seoul were just about to come about, Sungmin changed clothes, tucked on a cap so as to somewhat hide his identity and took a stroll out on the streets.

When he had walked about three blocks away and into part of downtown Seoul, he thought he heard someone call his name. Turning his head slightly, he looked around and thought it was his imagination. When he heard it again, he turned fully around to see that girl come running up to him and bump into him lightly, panting and gasping heavily. “Sungmin-sunbaenim!”

Sungmin looked at her and asked, curious, “How’d you know who I was?” She thought about it for a second, shrugged slightly and said, “I guess I just knew? Anyway, do you want to go eat with me at the café down the block, sunbaenim?” Sungmin glanced at her and felt his heart skip a bit at how hopeful (cute) her expression was. “Alright, Sunkyu-ssi.”

She was just about to turn to lead him there, but then turned around, pouted a bit and said, “Sungmin-sunbaenim, just call me Sunny!” He stood to a standstill and realized something as she started to walk ahead. He called out to her and paused as she turned her head at her, giving him another one of those insanely cute stares. “…If I should call you Sunny…then you just call me Sungmin-oppa. How about that?” He watched her ponder over it, then her whole face light up and nod eagerly. He smiled and speed-walked over to join her, and as they walked to the café, both of them were subconsciously aware of the bond that had just been formed with each other.

 

 

That night was one of the few in which Sungmin could clearly recall that he had genuinely had fun. When they went to the café, Sunny ordered a lot of food and Sungmin , calling her a shikshin while Sunny was (cutely) embarrassed. Then from the café, they went to the nearby arcade center where Sungmin found out that she was quite the avid video game player the hard way. Before they went back to the dorms, they simply walked with each other in the streets, talking and both felt very at ease and comfortable with each other.

He got back to the dorms and, to his utter embarrassment, the harassment of his hyungs and dongsaengs, sometime around ten. Despite doing his best to ignore their teasing, he really felt as if…as if the two of them had been on a date.

As time went by, he began to see her more on reality TV shows, in the halls of the training building and during the times when Super Junior and Girl’s Generation hung out together. He couldn’t quite describe this feeling he had with her- it was nothing like when he was with the other girls, all of whom he was quite fond of. But Sunny was altogether a very different thing. It was as if she carried butterflies with her and once she was near him, they all flew into his stomach. She was so cheerful all the time, and worked really hard- he could see the effects of all the effort Sunny put in practice, how serious she would look and how the sweat would pour down her already drenched face. But at the moment, he was still unsure of how he really felt, so all he did was smile and cheer her on.

 

 

A confusing, terrifying scene. This wasn’t happening, it wasn’t real. It was just a bad nightmare and soon Sungmin could wake up and think of Sunny to put him at ease. But as it turned out, she was the one enduring through the worse nightmare than he was.

Sungmin saw a huge wave of blackness, nothingness except for limp glowsticks in protesters’ hands. He heard a screaming silence, save for the small crowd of Sones (bless their souls) cheering their idols on as loudly as they could. He saw Donghae being held back by Hyukjae in the backstage area, his teeth set into a clench. He saw Leeteuk and Yunho talking with each other, both their faces a mix of worry and distress.

He saw the girls, confronted by this awful dilemma, trying their hardest not to break down on stage and cry and continue to perform as professionally as possible despite this horrible humiliation. And most of all, he saw Sunny by the side, not even bothering to dance anymore. This sight, this mere sight of all the sights he saw, broke Sungmin’s heart.

 When finally the girls entered backstage, everyone swarmed around them as tears fell, hysteria formed and soothing comforts passed. Sungmin passed by Kyuhyun holding a sobbing Seohyun in his arms, and looked desperately around, trying to find Sunny. He finally found her sitting on the side way in the back, trying to be brave, trying to conceal how she was shaking so hard…but the tears had already found their way down her cheeks.

When she saw him, there was no need for words to be exchanged. She simply got up, walked over to him and slipped into his arms and sobbed into his chest. Sungmin rubbed her back in comfort and whispered into her ear, “…It’s all right. I’m here for you. Cry. Let it out. I’ll always be here to support you.”

As she continued to cry, Sungmin wondered to himself: How could they do that to them? To Sunny? Sunny who tried her absolute hardest, not just for her own fame, but to make the fans happy, to avoid landing SNSD in scandals and to make her family and friends proud. How horrible it was, that a huge portion of the audience, of spectators, could band together and make someone as cheerful, radiant and bright as Sunny break down and cry. How Sungmin resented the netizens with their sharp tongues and hawk eyes who could make the cheer of Sunny fade away to rain, just like that.

It was then, Sungmin was so overtaken by emotion, that he did something very strange. While Sunny still cried, he bent his head down just a bit and kissed her forehead. Sunny looked up at him, tears still streaming at the corner of her eyes, and stared at him in awe. Sungmin, now fully realizing what he had just done, stuttered, “Uh…um…er…let’s…let’s get you to the bathroom…clean up your, um, face.” Sunny simply nodded a bit and the two went off.

 

 

Time hurried on again, and Sungmin often visited Sunny, much to her delight after the traumatic incident. However, once the “Gee” fever and the “Sorry, Sorry” craze started to take over Korea and beyond, Super Junior and SNSD found themselves busier than ever. And suddenly, Sungmin found his schedules packed to the max- with rarely any time to relax. It was at times like these when Sungmin wished he still had time to spend with Sunny. Now since he was a superstar, he couldn’t afford to go out into public by himself, much less with a member of the opposite gender who was as famous as he was.

And famous, cute and adorable Sunny really was. As much as Sungmin cheered her on and wished for her success…he couldn’t help but feel uneasy. Gee, he had to admit, was adorable (though the song couldn’t possibly compare to his one and only Sunny) and God, his hyungs and dongsaengs knew how many times he had watched the music video. But…did they really have to perform in public with such short shorts and such skin-tight jeans? Moreover, did Sunny really have to shake her like that doing the dance in those costumes?

And then came Genie and their “marine-girl” costumes. Sungmin lost count of how many times he had the urge to march onstage and drag Sunny off and away from the malicious, roaming eyes of the male population watching them dance and flaunt their legs. Sunny was pure, innocent and just Sunny and Sungmin would very much like it to stay that way…

“YAH. LEE SUNGMIN.” Hyukjae’s loud voice broke through Sungmin’s thoughts and brought him back into focus with reality. Super Junior Happy was meeting together to practice their songs for Super Show 2. “Geez, hyung, stop dreaming about Sunny so much and practice our song with us!” said Hyukjae and Sungmin started to protest and turned a dark shade of red. “Seriously, Sungminnie,” Leeteuk said. “When are you going to tell Sunny that you like her?” “Whoever said that I like her?” Sungmin said, still in denial. Shindong rolled his eyes, “Yeah sure. Getting her flowers every other week and re-watching SNSD’s videos all the time TOTALLY doesn’t mean you’re in love with her.” Sungmin glared at Shindong who gave him an innocent, cheesy smile in return.

He sighed and said, “Well…even if I like her…why should I tell her? She probably doesn’t even like me back…” Leeteuk, Yesung, Shindong, Kangin and Hyukjae stared at each other for a second and burst out into hysterical laughter. Sungmin, irritated, demanded, “What’s so funny?!”

Kangin, nearly crying from laughing so hard, wiped his eyes and chortled, “Yo…you’re so dense, Sungmin.” “Yeah…you seriously need help,” said Yesung, snickering. Leeteuk calmed down and patted Sungmin, saying, “Don’t worry so much, Sungminnie. She definitely likes you back. But if you want to think of a creative way to tell her how you feel…one of our songs should help.” Sungmin glanced at the leader and he started to get an idea.

 

 

 Sunny was hanging around in the lounge on one of the rare off nights SNSD had. Hyoyeon, Jessica and Tiffany had gone off to the salon, Taeyeon was up in her room studying, Yuri and Seohyun were staying after in the training building to practice and Yoona was holed up in her room, busy texting her handsome fishy boyfriend. Thus, Sunny had the night to herself...and realized how lonely she felt. And how much she really missed Sungmin-oppa. Ever since she saw him when he debuted, she had always felt a deep admiration…which in turn, had turned into a crush. And turned to love. Although she still felt that Sungmin-oppa probably only saw her as merely a dongsaeng.

Just then, her phone rang out and she checked her phone to see that Sungmin had sent her a text message:

“Sunny! Turn the TV on and flip to the entertainment channel! ^-^”

Wondering what on earth Sungmin meant by this, she the TV in the lounge- and immediately realized it. Super Show 2, of course! She had meant to watch part of the concert from the fancams the dedicated fans always put up…but she hadn’t exactly had found the time. Sunny then remembered that she had been planning to watch a segment of Super Show 2 that was going to aired tonight.

So naturally, she was extremely surprised when she heard the familiar tune of “Gee”…but in a different key. She kept on watching, stunned as nine boys, Sungmin being one of them, clad in skinny colorful jeans very much like the ones she and the girls had wore in the video strutted ridiculously onstage. Sunny then started to laugh hysterically when they began to sing as well- especially at Heechul imitating Jessica. She had to admit, they were really doing a great job.

Suddenly, the camera zoomed in on Sungmin and he began to sing…her part from Gee?! Sunny stared at the TV, unable to believe her eyes. Had that really been him singing her part, even mimicking her aegyo? Still giggling and very much amused by the performance, she sat there glued to the TV watching the entire performance. When it ended, Sunny was just about to pick up her phone to send Sungmin a text, another familiar tune started to play and she saw Super Junior Happy get into formation.

Her brain realized it was “Sunny”, the song they had often joked was named after her. She then started to realize the meaning behind Sungmin’s request. All through the second performance, she watched still, her heart pounding in her chest. And when Sungmin looked straight at the camera and sang:

“Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, I love you, I want you,”

…well, Sunny just about melted into a puddle of adoration.

Right after the song ended and another program came on, Sunny grabbed her phone and punched the speed dial for Sungmin’s number. It seemed that he had been expecting the call since he picked up within the first ring. By this time, Sunny was feeling so emotional she was openly crying.

“Y-You could have told me, Sungmin-oppa,” she said sniffling.

Sungmin chuckled on the other end. “…I bet you liked this way better, right, Sunny?” And she couldn’t deny that she didn’t.

There was a pause on the line before Sungmin said, “Well, Sunny…I like you. I love you. I need you. Go out with me?”

Sunny giggled, wiped a few tears from her eyes and said, “Yes. Yes, Sungmin-oppa. I love you too.” 

 

A/N: This is probably one of the fluffiest oneshots i've ever written. it took a while to write since school had just started, but i had so much fun with it! ^-^ i should hopefully be updating "Two Hearts- Maknae, Saranghaeyo" tomorrow. other than that, peace yo! xD <3