I need protection...because I'm clumsy

Bodyguard, my band-aid

No One’s POV

Mae woke suddenly.  Forcing her sticky eyes open.  She could make out figures standing by her bed, but they were just black smears in her vision.  She sensed the power radiating off of one of the figures.

“Good morning, Abeonim.”  She said as brightly as she could, reaching for the thick, coke-bottle glasses sitting on her bedside table, by her favorite book Pride and Prejudice.  Her father sighed as he watched his daughter tumble out of bed, when she failed to reach her glasses.  The second blur in the room, helped her to her feet and swiftly swiped her glasses, and dropped them onto her nose.

“Thanks.” Mae said, as she adjusted them.  The two blobs transformed into two people, and she sighed in relief.  Sight.  Then in surprise, she tripped backwards with a hiccup.  The second figure wasn’t any of the servants she had been expecting, but a dark, attractive young man.  She glanced down quickly at her pink panda pajamas and flushed. She hastily grappled for a blanket off of her bed to cover herself with, and knocked more items of her side table.  Clatter! 

“Mae, just stop moving!” Her father looked apologetically up at the young man. “I guess that you can already tell she will be a handful.  She’s annoyingly clumsy.  Breaks everything I buy.  That’s why all of the valuable looking items in her room are really just made out of super durable plastic.  I guess more of your job will be protecting her from herself, rather than someone else.”  Mae looked at her father dumbfounded.   Job? Protect?

Abeonim, You hired someone to guard me?  I’m perfectly fine on my own!  I don’t need someone to watch over me every second!”  Mae stepped toward her father, a little angry. “And there is no need for someone to have to protect from my sel-”  Mae tried to get out, but managed to trip over her own toes instead.  The man caught her easily, set her back up on her and then retreated back to the spot where he had been standing.

“Thank you.”  Mae said pertly to the man.  He nodded, and she turned back to her father. “I can take care of myself.”  He nodded disapprovingly at her and replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“I can see that. Anyway,” he moved on.  “Mae, this is your new bodyguard, Tao.  He will be protecting you from all of the things that only you can make an enemy out of.  You know like the stairs, your shoelaces, and English muffins.” His voice trailed off, and Mae flushed, remembering the embarrassing moment.  One of the only times her and her father had gone out into public together, Mae had choked on her simple breakfast.   A waiter had fortunately known how to do the Heimlich maneuver, and Mae was unfortunately very unlucky.  The soggy clump had dislodged from , straight into her father’s client’s oatmeal.  Not only did her dad lose the client, she had also heard that the poor man had never been able to take a bite of the delicious breakfast food since.       

“Hm,” her father said to the memory.  He was still bothered by that particular incident, and needless to say, she hadn’t met another client since.  Tao bowed toward her.

“Nice to meet you.” He said in a low, quiet voice. 

 

Tao’s POV

 

Tao watched as his boss’ daughter clumsily made her way around her room.  The poor girl must be half blind! He judged from the weight of the frames he had picked up off the floor.   Tao had a sudden urge to put the glasses on himself, just so that he could really see how bad it was, but restrained himself.  It probably wouldn’t have made a good impression on his wealthy boss.   As the girl and her father were talking, Tao allowed himself a glance around her room.  The walls were painted light lavender, with perfectly white trim to compliment the color.  She had a beautiful wood desk in one corner of the room with a window right above it, littered with papers and pencils.   Upon further inspection, Tao had noticed that the papers were drawings of people and animals and scenery.   Surprisingly, all were drawn from the same vantage point, as if she was looking down at them through a window.  Tao observed her bookshelf with interest, seeing only classics and non-fiction.  Boring. He thought, and then smiled to himself when he noticed a comic book peeking out slightly from underneath her bed.  I bet her dad doesn’t know that she has that! Maybe this girl will be more interesting than I thought.

“Mae, this is your new bodyguard, Tao.  He will be protecting you from all of the things that only you can make an enemy out of.  You know like the stairs, your shoelaces, and English muffins.”  He heard his boss say.  Tao was confused to the reference, but didn’t interrupt for clarification. He bowed to the girl, he would now be protecting.

“Nice to meet you.”         

 

                                                                                     *                                      *                                      *

Sorry, I know it was short!  But comments are always welcome anyway! Let me know what you think! :)