#4

Jongin's First

 

 

Soojung was sitting on the bench at the park, one of her favorite place in the university. The first time she found it, she immediately remembered the one located in her previous college. It didn’t take long time before Soojung started to take over that specific bench every afternoon after lunch break. As she used to be, Soojung would gladly do her homework there; either doing a sketch or just reading materials before her class started. And as she used to be, she pretended that Jongin was there, accompanied her.

Just like the other days that she spent in her new university in London, Soojung loyally sit on her spot at the bench. She took out her fashion magazine, reading to get inspirations for her next presentation. Usually she listened to a song, along with Jongin, whom she shared the earphone with. But that day, Soojung chose to listen to the wind to accompany her. Soojung was intensely reading the magazine when someone plugged the earphone to her right ear, she felt shocked and immediately turning her head to the right and found someone sitting next to her while listening to the song.

Soojung’s eyes grew bigger as she saw Jongin sitting there, looking at her while grinning widely.

“Hi, Soojung”

Soojung couldn’t hide her shock expression when he just calmly sitting there, next to her.

“Jo-Jongin? What are you− Ho-how are you coming− When−“

He grinned again. “Miss me?”

Soojung blushed immediately at his respond. She couldn’t answer anything. This was too absurd. How come Jongin suddenly in London without her knowing?

“I miss you, Soojung”

He suddenly touched her fingers, making Soojung heart beat faster. “Do you want to come with me?”

“Hmm? Where?”

“Follow me” he said, smiling.

Jongin stood up from the bench, still holding Soojung’s hand. She stood up, following him but then she felt her legs weakened like she’s standing in a jelly surface and she fell on the floor. He’s no longer holding her hand, leaving Soojung on the ground alone.

The next thing she knew, she was on the floor in her room; on the ground while her head felt dizzy. Soojung groaned as she closed her eyes after realizing that she was falling from her bed. She’s dreaming of him, again. It’s been a while since she’s thinking of him, but then she met him on her dream. Soojung covered her face with her palms.

Rather than waking up, Soojung chose to lie on the floor looking at the ceiling. It’s white colored, empty. She sighed, turning her body to the left and looking at the box under her bed. Lazily, she sat on the floor, opening the box. It’s filled with postcards. Soojung took one with the Big Ben picture on it and read the hand writing behind it.

 

Hi Kim Jongin!

I took a ride on London Eye today. London is really beautiful from up there.

You should see it by yourself.

Until we meet again.

Jung Soojung.

 

She put it back to the box and took another card with similar content. It was all the postcards that supposed to be sent to Kim Jongin; but Soojung never send it. She hasn’t been talked to him again ever since she left Seoul, the day she confessed to him. They could talk, of course; there’re so many ways to communicate: mail, postcards, email, SNS, text, or even a phone call. But they never did any of it; which make Soojung realized that her love confession has e of her best friend ever into stranger. And she regretted it a lot.

Soojung went to the kitchen. Putting the cereal in a bowl and pouring the milk onto it, she brought the bowl and sat in front of the TV. She got used to living alone since she went to London since fall last year. Spring is about to end and she couldn’t wait for her first summer holiday in Europe. She’s planning to take a Euro trip; with her new best friend in London.

Soojung suddenly remembered to check her email, as her professor supposed to send the review of her last project. She went through all of the mails in her inbox; mostly came from her professor or the SNS, telling her the update of her friends. And here come email from her lovely sister.

The subject of the email was “Hello Soojung”. She clicked the message and found a video link. It must be her sister sharing her shopping time, as she saw the first scene was Barney’s; one of her sister’s favorite places to shop. Turned out it was Jessica along with Hyoyeon. They were talking to the camera, saying hi to Soojung. Soojung smiled as she saw her sister happily talking to her through the video and Hyoyeon unnie who always took care of her was also there.

“Soojung, do you miss your friend?” Hyoyeon suddenly asked her.  “Ah, you must be miss all of your friends, but sorry I could only show one for you right now” she continued as she moved the camera.

“Oh, come on appear on the camera!”

Soojung could hear Jessica’s voice on the video while Hyoyeon talking to her. The camera moved and showed a guy with dark tan, using earphones on both of his ears. He seemed a bit timid and not looking to the camera, until Hyoyeon kicked his legs.

 “Ah, Noona! That’s hurt” he touched his leg that was being kicked.

“Speak!” both Jessica and Hyoyeon spoke at the same time.

Jongin coughed and then looked at the camera, a bit awkward at first but then he smiled widely and formed a V sign with his fingers, waving it to Soojung as he said “Hi, Soojung”.

Soojung couldn’t help but smile at it. She realized she missed him but then she awakened to the fact that he might be not missing her as well; as he never contacted her so far. The video ended with Jessica’s kiss and Hyoyeon’s wave. She repeated the part when Jongin spoke; it’s just a 30 seconds but it means a lot for her. After repeating it for around 5 times, she closed her laptop. Daydreaming surely a nice job, but she couldn’t do it forever.

“Wake up, Soojung. Wake up…”

If happy ever after did exist…

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“How much classes left before our trip?” Key asked Soojung when they met on their way to the cafeteria. Soojung had just ended her class while Key was just having a meeting with his professor.

“Zero! Our trip will be started next week right?” Soojung replied excitedly.

“Yeah, don’t forget to bring everything we need. Let’s do our project perfectly!” he did a hi-five with Soojung.

Even though Key was her senior, but Soojung felt comfortable to hang around with him. He’s a student majoring in painting; currently preparing for an exhibition in Russia. They met first at the gathering of Korean student community and the rest is history. She hung around a lot with him, besides with her friends in her faculty of course.

As for the Euro trip, it’s randomly talked one day in the afternoon when they strolled around the Buckingham Palace. And now, they’re about to make it happened. Soojung and Key planned to make a photo book of their trip, along with a nice video to come up with.  Key actually already stayed in London for more than 3 years, so he knew best places around Europe as he often take a trip to the country around UK. Key was also the one who take Soojung out every weekend during her stay in London. He took her to a nice village with beautiful view, or just hung around in the flea market in London.

“Anyway… Do you perhaps know Gongchan?”

At the mention of the name, Soojung raised her eyebrows. “Yeah, the IT student right?”

Key nodded while drinking the orange juice. “He asked me to send his greet you” he said while winked at her.

“Why?”

Key scoffed at Soojung. “Are you seriously didn’t know what that means or are you just pretending to not know it?”

Soojung shrugged, continued eating her pastry along with the latte. She took out her iPad and started browsing, ignoring Key who’s sitting across her.

“Oh come on, how long are you going to ignore those boys? Get a life, Soojung. You should at least date someone…”

“Speaking of you …” Soojung replied coldly.

“The subject is you. So, do you want me to set a date for you and Gongchan?”

Soojung sighed, immediately shook her head. “No need for that”

“It must’ve been because of your lovely ex-boyfriend, huh? Yeah, who could move on from a dreamy boyfriend like Choi Minho” Key added while opening the page of the art magazine that he brought.

“What time should I come to your place tomorrow to take the Polaroid camera?” Soojung quickly changed the topic.

“Just come at lunch time; let’s try a new place around King’s Cross” Key answer while still looking at the camera. “Ah, anyway have I told you that my cousin will come here?”

Soojung shook her head. “First time heard about it. Coming for summer holiday?”

“Probably, haven’t confirmed the arrival date, but it should be anytime soon. Hopefully it’s before our trip to Europe”

“Okay then…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was merely two days away before her Euro trip and Soojung couldn’t stop feeling ecstatic about it. She already told her parents, her sister, Sulli, Suzy, Sehun, all of her friends. She’s also promised to give them nice souvenirs from each country she visited later on when she’s back in Korea on winter holiday.

She had just done printing some picture for her work when she saw the latest art magazine featured Key’s painting as she passed the news stall. She quickly bought a copy of it and came to Key’s flat in hurry.

“Oppa, I’m on my way to your place now. It’s great; your painting is featured on the latest Nu Art’s magazine! See you!” Soojung quickly put her phone on her bag and immediately took the bus to Key’s place.

As she arrived there, she rang the bell on the door. Key’s such an eccentric person, he loves art and lived an artsy live. He even chose a classical English flat rather than a modern one, just like the one Soojung’s in. Soojung likes to hang out on his place, because it gave inspiration and really nice. And talking about being nice, why hasn’t Key opened the door…

Soojung rang the bell again.

“Key oppa” she called him this time, added 3 knocks on the door.

She noticed the door knob was moved, confirming that Key’s opening the lock. Soojung positioned the page of his featured painting right in front of her face. As soon as the door opened, Soojung shout loudly at him.

“Congratulation for being featured in international magazine!” she screamed and put away the magazine from her face, ready to see Key’s expression.

Soojung suddenly froze at the front door. She must have been really lack of sleeping lately that she started to see “things”. She shook her head and blinked several times before looking at the person on the door. It was Jongin, standing in front of her.

“Oh I must be crazy…” she talked to herself, closing her eyes. The image of Jongin must have been disappeared once she opened her eyes again.

“Are you… okay?” he said.

Soojung opened her eyes. How come the image of Jongin in her head has a voice?

She looked at him in confused, tilted her head to the right and watched him. He unnecessarily touched the back of his neck and looked back at her.

“How long are you going to stay there?”

This time, Key’s voice was heard; making Soojung and Jongin looked at him. Key walked to the door and looked at the two of them.

“Soojung, aren’t you going to get in?” he asked her, appointing to his flat.

Soojung blinked for several times. He’s still there; she looked to Key’s as asking for a confirmation, to make sure that she’s hallucinating or not.

“Oh. Soojung, didn’t I tell you that my cousin is coming? Meet my cousin, Kim Jongin” Key said as he tapped Jongin’s shoulder.

Again, Soojung grew her eyes bigger and she looked at Jongin in disbelief.

“Hi Soojung. How are you?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

i'm referring to this gif when i wrote the part jongin waving to the camera for soojung ;)

his smile is lovely, isn't it? ;)

anyway, i wrote it while listening to maroon 5 - payphone that's why the "If happy ever after did exist" appeared ;)

enjoy!!