Love Isn't Easy

What is Love?

 

      When the results of the biology test came out, most of the class were groaning at how low they got. Yixing was tapping his foot impatiently. Why did his last name have to be Zhang? When the professor gave back Kris’ paper, he congratulated the young man on acing the test. Lots of mumbles and whispers could be heard in the class. No doubt the new student was going to get more admirers than he already had. Yixing could feel his heart beating faster. If his study buddy got a perfect score, his chances of passing were higher than ever. When his name was finally called, he stood up nervously.

 

“Mr. Zhang, this test is quite impressive if I must say so myself.” The professor smiled as he handed him his paper. It wasn’t perfect but it was pretty high. “I think you and Mr. Wu could have both gotten perfect scores if you had finished the test.”

 

        He would have gotten a perfect score if he hadn’t fallen asleep, Yixing mentally corrected but it didn’t matter. He passed! He actually passed their freaking biology test!  He ran across the room and grabbed Kris in a hug.

 

“X-xing . . .”Kris groaned.

Yixing smiled up at him.”Xie xie, Yifan!”

Kris smiled a little.  “Crushing me to death doesn’t count as a thank you, Xing.”

Oh right. Yixing quickly released Kris and dimpled at him again. “Did you know that this is my first biology test that I had passed?”

“Yeah since your notebook was empty and you didn’t even know what lesson you guys were in.” the taller smirked.

“Hush! Don’t say that!” Yixing jumped up and covered Kris’ mouth.

The taller couldn’t help but laugh, pushing the younger’s hand away. “How about another way of thanking me?”

“What do you want me to do?”yixing asked nervously.

“Go out with me.”

 

      Yixing’s heart continued beating faster for a whole lot of reasons as he nodded.

 

         Lunch was strangely quiet and tense. Xiumin and Chen mumbled an excuse to eat somewhere else and Kris could see why. Sehun had told him that he and Luhan rarely fought but when they do, it could last for some time. Even Yixing kept quiet and glanced nervously at his best friend who was stabbing the meat with his fork.

 

Yixing sighed. “What did you guys fight about this time?”

Sehun glared at his food. “Why don’t you ask you’re oh so perfect best friend, hyung?”

Luhan scoffed. “Kris,please tell your cousin he’s being a big baby.”

“Yixing hyung, tell Luhan hyung that he should know being about a big baby since he’s even more so than I am.”

“Kris, tell Sehun that he’s just jealous since there are more people that like me.”

Sehun inhaled sharply. “Fine! Damn it, be like that!”

“Sehun, wait . . .”Kris held his wrist.

“No,I’ve had it,hyung!”  Sehun pulled himself free and ran out of the cafeteria.

Kris looked at Luhan who was still glaring at his food before standing up. “I’ll go talk to him. Xing, make sure that Luhan doesn’t kill anyone for the time being.”

Yixing looked at him worriedly. “Okay.”

 

          Kris had a heavy feeling in his heart as he walked out of the cafeteria. He looked back to see Luhan clinging to Yixing and the heavy feeling got worse. He looked around for Sehun in the whole school but no one had seen him. He called Sehun’s place and was informed that his cousin was sulking at his room. He checked his watch. There were only two classes left so he decided to skip them. He asked the maid to tell Sehun that he was coming over. After hanging up, Kris looked for Yixing. He found him sitting on a bench, one arm slung over Luhan’s shoulder while Luhan’s head was nestled in the crook of Yixing’s neck. They looked like they were whispering to each other. Kris felt like he was intruding something but as he was about to walk away, Yixing met his eyes.

 

“Kris . . .”Yixing muttered, blushing and nudging Luhan.

Luhan raised his eyes and looked at Kris with what seemed like irritation and sat upright.

Kris swallowed and walked over to them. “Sehun went home so I’ll be going over there. Can you tell the teachers for me, Xing?”

“His name is Yixing not Xing.”  Luhan snapped.

Yixing averted his gaze and looked at the grass. “Sure, I’ll tell them. “

“Thanks and Xing?” Kris waited until Yixing looked up to him. “I’ll text you,okay?”

Yixing smiled. “I’d like that.”

 

      Kris walked to Sehun’s house, needing the time to think. The scene earlier was deeply etched in his mind. It was too intimate for him. Maybe it was because they were best friends? He frowned. Even if he and Sehun were cousins, they never showed that intimacy. Something was nagging at the back of his head but he chose to ignore it for now. Sehun was more important.

 

 “Don’t you look like death today.” Kris commented as he opened the door to Sehun’s room.

The younger scowled at him and curled up to the blankets even more. “Why are you here?”

“Oh I wonder why. Maybe it’s because I have a crush on one of your ahjumma maids.”

Sehun tried not to smile and failed. “I could set you guys up on a date if you want.”

“Aren’t you the sweetest cousin ever?”  Kris chuckled and laid down next to Sehun. “But honestly,how are you doing?”

“How do you think?”

“Do you know that it’s considered rude to answer a question with another one?”

Sehun sighed and rolled over,facing Kris. “I hate fighting with Luhan, hyung.”

“Then why did you?”

“It’s just . . .” Sehun threw the pillow away in frustration. “Whenever he receives a confession, he’d get all giggly like a girl and say things like ‘Sehunnie, why can’t you be as sweet as my admirers?’. Ugh, it’s honestly too much sometimes.” He looked down. “I feel like a bad boyfriend.”

Kris placed his hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling. “You guys seem okay to me.”

“Seem.” Sehun repeated, scoffing. “We are fine, I guess. Then, he’d get another confession and I followed him one time when he was supposed to reject one.” The younger leaned against Kris, sobbing quietly. “Did you know what he said? He said that he would love to be with that person but he was busy with all the activities. He even said that the guy was the cutest and most lovable person he had met.”

Kris patted his cousin’s back. “Didn’t he say anything about you?”

Sehun froze. “He did.”

“Sehun, what did he say?” Kris asked, voice getting colder.

“He said we were good friends.” Sehun gripped his shirt tighter.

“Just good friends?”

 

         Sehun just sobbed louder while Kris comforted him. Kris looked outside as the sky changed colors. If it was up to him, he wouldn’t have let Sehun go back to Luhan but he knew that his cousin couldn’t stay away. When they were called for dinner, Kris had to drag the younger up but even then,Sehun said he didn’t feel like eating. Kris asked the maid to bring their dinner up and he tried to feed his cousin.

 

“Geez, I’m not a kid,hyung.” Sehun said as he ate the soup Kris fed him.

“Then eat by yourself.” Kris said, handing him the spoon.

Sehun took it and idly continued eating. “Hyung, can I ask you something?”

Kris looked up. “Sure, what is it?”

“Do you like Yixing hyung?”

“Yeah,it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it?”

Sehun nodded then looked at Kris with saddened eyes. “You shouldn’t.”

The older raised an eyebrow, wondering what was wrong with it. “Why?”

“I just don’t want you to get hurt again.”  Sehun said, moving around his soup. “We both know how badly you were hurt after Tao.”

“Sehun . . .” both of them knew that this topic was off limits.

“Tao was amazing.  He had managed to endure all your weirdness but he left you. You kept to yourself and  talked to no one but me. It took a whole year for you to be half what you were.”

“Sehun, shut up!” Kris exclaimed.

Sehun met his fiery gaze with the same sad eyes. “You don’t deserve to be hurt,hyung. You already lost too much from it.”

“Yixing’s not Tao. He would never hurt me.” Kris defended.

“How do you know that?”

Kris didn’t have an answer for that so he took on a different way of arguing. “If you’re talking about hurting, then why haven’t you left Luhan? All the crap you told me would make anyone leave him already yet you stay.”

“I love him, hyung. I may be a masochist but I know that I love Luhan. As long as he wants me by his side, I’ll be there.” Sehun muttered quietly. “You can still get away. You should.”

Kris leaned back against the bed, taking in what Sehun had said. “You don’t know Yixing . . .”

“But I do, hyung. I really do.”  Sehun said hoarsely, worrying not for himself but for his cousin.

 

 

          Kris went home after that. He reasoned that Sehun was probably bitter about Luhan so he started saying nonsense. An image of Yixing’s innocent smiling face flashed across his mind. How could Yixing possibly hurt him? With another shake of his head, he continued his way back home. He watched the stars up ahead, mind racing ahead. Where should he take Yixing? He knew that first dates made big impressions on people so he had to make sure that he didn’t screw this up.  Kris brought out his phone and started to text Yixing.

 

To:Yixing ^^

     Hey,Xing~ are you okay with going to the amusement park tomorrow?

 

From: Yixing ^^

    That sounds perfect!  I hate all this drama around us~

 

To:Yixing ^^

     Tell me about it. @.@  I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 3?

 

From: Yixing ^^

  Let’s just meet by the amusement park. Luhan asked me to sleep over

 

          Kris sighed and replied an okay. He kept repeating to himself that best friends usually do these things from time to time so he shouldn’t be worried. Lying down on his bed, Kris could still see the scene from this afternoon and it bugged him to no end. He finally fell into a troubled sleep.

 

         Kris knew that he was dreaming because his hair was long like it had been before. He was standing by his house at Canada and there was someone calling him. Another factor towards the dream theory was that the voice belonged to Tao, his ex-boyfriend. For no clear reason, he went in search for Tao and found him at the backyard,playing with their ‘son’, a small little Rottweiler. Tao had decided to name the puppy Gucci after his favourite brand of bag which Kris agreed to.

 

“Look,Gucci, your dad’s finally here!”  Tao grinned at him. “Gege, you’re such a lazy . It’s already afternoon.”

Kris smirked at him and sat down beside Gucci. “You could’ve woken me up. Did you like watching me sleep that much, baby?”

“Oh sure. You sleep talk in the weirdest languages! It’s amusing, gege.”  Tao laughed.

 

     Kris frowned. For some time now, Tao had kept on calling him gege instead of their many pet names for each other. He wanted to ask why but he didn’t want to. His gut feeling told him he wouldn’t like the answer.  Instead he focused on playing with Gucci while Tao watched them with sad eyes. Kris didn’t question that either.

 

       Kris suddenly looked around and the scene shifted. He was now at the mall with Sehun. Suddenly the dream became a nightmare. He remembered this day clearly, too much clearly if he was asked. This was the day everything went wrong. He wanted to wake himself up but his body wasn’t cooperating and he could do nothing but watch as his dream self went inside the coffee shop.

 

“Hyung,let’s eat chocolate mousse. You’re paying, right?” Sehun smiled cutely at him.

Kris nodded,groaning. “You brought me along to pay for everything, didn’t you?” he complained as he gave some money to Sehun.

“I knew you were smart. Thanks.”  Sehun headed to the counter and ordered.

 

       Kris sat down on one of the couches and played with his phone while waiting for his cousin. His attention was caught when he saw the familiar black hair of his boyfriend and he was about to callout to him until he saw that he was with someone else. Tao had one arm around the smaller boy’s shoulders and was smiling sweetly. That was the smile that he said only Kris saw. It was his smile. He continued to watch them as the two of them sat down on a table far from Kris but he could still see them. Tao was laughing freely with him and the two of them held hands. He didn’t want to think of the worst, reasoning that they may be relatives or just close friends until he saw Zitao lean over and kiss the smaller man on the lips. Kris could hear his own heart breaking. Sehun returned soon and Kris dragged him outside, ignoring the younger’s complaints about wasting precious chocolate cakes.

 

“Hyung, what is wrong with you?”  Sehun asked once they got home.

Kris paced back and forth. “Sehun, I think Zitao is cheating on me.”

The younger scoffed.  “Tao hyung cheating on you?  He practically thinks you’re the living definition of perfect.”

“I saw him with another guy in the coffee shop.”

Sehun turned serious.  “What exactly did you see?”

“I saw them laughing, holding hands and . . . kissing.”  Kris fell back to a chair.

It was silent for a few minutes until sehun sighed. “You know you have to ask him.”

Kris shook his head,eyes unreadable. “I want to see if he’ll tell me on his own.”

 

     So Kris had waited. Every time Tao and he were out together, he started to really look and it shocked him how obvious things were. No, Zitao wasn’t cold towards him but they weren’t them anymore. There was an obvious lack of affection and Kris wondered how long he had been blind. Tao would always look outside the window as if counting the minutes before he could go. Kris knew that he said he would wait but it was choking him—the lies, the act, everything.

 

“You know if you want to leave me, just tell me.”  Kris said, avoiding looking at Tao no matter what.

Tao seemed surprised.  “Why would you say that, gege?”

Kris scoffed. “I’m not that stupid, Zitao.”

The younger sighed and went to Kris who was playing with Gucci. He sat down in front of him and waited for the older to look at him.

“How long has it been going on? How long have you been cheating on me?” kris whispered harshly.

Tao flinched but nodded. “It’s been about two months.”

Kris nodded slowly, biting down on his lip. “Why? Wasn’t I enough?”

“Gege, please don’t say that. You were enough.”  Tao looked down. “You were more than enough actually. When I’m with you, I can’t help but feel like I won’t be enough for you.”

“So you cheated on me? What kind of logic is that?” Kris glared at the younger.

Tao patted his cheek and stood up. “I’m so sorry, gege. Goodbye.”

 

           Kris woke up with a start, drenched in sweat and tears. It took him a minute to move. He ran a hand through his hair while wiping his tears. This was Sehun’s fault. He had brought up the taboo topic and he had that cursed dream. He got up and washed his face, avoiding looking at his reflection. He had to put this away for now and get ready for his date. The thought made him smile. No doubt Yixing could make him forget about the dream. He carefully picked his clothes and started to get ready. He ate a quick lunch, only realizing then how late he had slept in. it was a good thing for him since he wouldn’t have time to dwell on the dream. When the clocked read 2:30, he headed out and went to the amusement park.

 

          Kris leaned against the entrance of the amusement park. The park was in full swing seeing it was the weekend. He smiled at the sight; it was going to be the perfect date. He checked his watch and grinned when he saw that it was already 3. He looked around for any sign of Yixing. He guessed he shouldn’t be surprised if the younger was late. It was fine with him. He’d wait as long as he can. The minutes dragged on which became hours. Kris let out a sigh, still waiting for Yixing.

 

“Hey,hyung, why aren’t you going inside?”  a small voice asked.

Kris looked down and saw a little boy. “Hey, little kid. I’m waiting for someone. Are you going inside?”

The boy nodded. “I’m going with umma and appa!  Why don’t hyung come with us?”

Kris shook his head, smiling slightly. “Thanks but I’m going to wait a little more.”

 

      The boy’s mother came over and apologized to Kris who waved it off,saying it was fine. Kris watched them as they went inside then went back to his position. Damn it, where was Yixing? It eventually got dark and Kris was getting cold. He should’ve known by now that Yixing wasn’t coming but he stubbornly refused to believe it. He believed that Yixing would come, panting and mumble some story about why he was late and Kris would forgive him just like that. Being stood up wasn’t something he wanted to think of.

 

“Hyung, you’re still here?” a familiar voice asked him.

Kris lifted his head. He was already crouched down by the wall.  “Oh, it’s you.”

The little boy frowned. “Is hyung still waiting?”

Kris looked down. “Yeah, I guess I am.”

“You should stop waiting.”  Another  voice spoke and Kris looked up to see Sehun with a jacket in his hand.

The little boy faced Sehun. “Are you the person hyung was waiting for? You should say sorry to hyung. He’s been here since afternoon.”

Sehun nodded. “Okay, I will. Thanks for looking after him.”

The little boy grinned and turned to Kris. “Hyung will be okay now!” then he ran back to his family and with a final wave, disappeared too.

 

   Kris stood up slowly and wore the jacket that Sehun was holding. The younger looked at his hyung, eyes full of concern. After wearing the jacket, Kris leaned back against the wall again.

 

“Hyung, what are you doing?”  sehun asked.

“What does it look like? I’m going to wait for Yixing.” Kris mumbled.

Sehun sighed. “Hyung, he’s not coming.”

“I don’t believe you!” kris snapped.

Sehun pulled out his phone and showed it to Kris. The older refused to read it and sehun practically had to rub the phone against his hyung’s face.

 

From; Yixing hyung

  Kris is at the amusement park. Tell him I’m not coming.

       Kris blinked rapidly, fighting the tears from falling. Sehun hugged his hyung and mumbled comforting words. He pulled the older back to his car and asked the driver to get them home. Kris didn’t say anything on the ride home. When they arrived at Sehun’s place, Kris immediately went to the room assigned to him whenever he was there. Never mind that he was probably hungry and cold from standing there for hours.

 

Sehun knocked on his door softly. “Kris hyung?”

“Go away.”  Kris answered and pulled the blanket over his head.

The younger sat down on the bed. “I’m here.”

“I know.”

Sehun stood up and with a final sigh, he headed out from the room. “I’m sorry, hyung.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry too.”  Kris whispered into the night.

         

 

A.N: I posted two updates since they were both seriously overdue and because they go together. I'm really sorry for making Luhan like this. u_u 

 

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS BY THE WAY~  they really inspire me :3