Chapter 5

Vampire Exo

Yoon Mi hid herself in haste eventhough she knew it was already too late. Kris already saw her. The eyes.. It was cold again and darker than ever. It's like there were some dark secrets hidden between those eyes. Yoon Mi felt herself shudder at the displeasing thoughts. Yoon Mi staggered to her feet. She ended up dragging her feet and headed towards the small lake behind the school.

   She seated herself at one of the small-wooden bench. She wrapped her hands around her legs and laid her chin on her knees. What has happened to me? I'm.. completely flustered by the strange perfect creature and yet I know nothing about him. What the hell is wrong with me?

   "Here," the husky voice whispered softly.

   From the corner of her eye, Yoon Mi saw a can of Diet Coke. She looked up to see the all-too-perfect face smiling warmly at her. She took the drink in hesitancy. Kris sat beside Yoon Mi comfortably. His movements graceful as always.

   "Do you know what I want to be if I was to be reborn?" He asked after a few moments of silence.

   Yoon Mi was caught off guard by the sudden question but recovered quickly. She shook her head.

   Kris's soft gaze was on the lake. "The water."

   "Why is that so?" Yoon Mi was surprised to even hear herself talking.

   "Because it's always calm. Despite all the things thrown at it. It stays forever itself. Clean.. and pure." Kris said and then scoffed at himself. The incredulity he displayed was palpable.

   Yoon Mi looked up to Kris's face. Her eyes soft. "Clean.. and pure. Just like you," she smiled innocently.

   Kris looked down. His gaze met Yoon Mi's. "No, I'm not." His lips pursed.

   Yoon Mi felt the frigid tone put the subject into a halt. "Oh yeah, here." Yoon Mi handed Kris the long-forgotten white rose. "It was meant for you. I wanted to say thank you for last night."

   Kris's lips twitched into a smile. His face wore the you're-just-a-girl-I-can't-help-but-to-adore look. "Thank you."

   "Can I ask you something?"

   "Sure," Kris replied.

   "It's fine if you don't want to answer but.. um.. what were you doing with the girl just now? I heard her crying." Yoon Mi bit her lip, displaying her guilty conscience.

   Kris fell silent. "She.. confessed her love. And I.. felt sorry for not being able to pay back her feelings."

   Yeah, you should be sorry. It's your fault for being too gorgeous and made so many women drool over you. Yoon Mi muttered in her mind.

   "So you're indicating that it's your fault too that many guys are drooling over you?" Kris tried to stifle a smile by arching an eyebrow at Yoon Mi.

   Wait, what? Did I say it out loud? Oh my God. "God, no! I mean, what? Who would drool over- I mean, you're the gorgeous one here. Not me. And don't try to change the subject to me," Yoon Mi finished. A moment of silence fell over them and suddenly Yoon Mi laughed. She didn't know what was so amusing but Yoon Mi just felt like it was all too funny for her.

   Kris laughed too and but eased himself down moments later. He glanced  at the cheerful girl beside him. He was mesmerized to see how someone could laugh that beautifully.

   "You have a beautiful laugh, you know." He murmured.

   "Why, thank you." She grinned up at him. "You too."

   "I didn't laugh." Kris tried to maintain a composed face.

   "Yes you did!" Yoon Mi had a full look of incredulity on her face.

   "No."

   "Yeah."

   "I didn't."

   "Yes you did." Yoon Mi tried to increase the accusatory tone in her voice but failed. She burst out laughing instead. "Oh god!"
   Kris smiled at Yoon Mi adoringly and Yoon Mi saw the look of delight and pleasant in his face as if he hadn't laugh or smile for such a long time.

   A swift movement across the lake caught Kris's eyes. His face hardened as he saw Tao, hiding behind a tree watching him and Yoon Mi intently. Thankfully, Yoon Mi didn't notice. She looked up at the direction where Kris was looking too and tried to figure out what was bothering him but she was a little too late. Tao had already disappeared in a split second. She looked up to Kris and saw Kris giving her a reassuring smile. She couldn't help but to smile back at the handsome face.

   When Kris returned home - well, not exactly home, mansion - that evening, he knew that someone would be boiling with rage. Needless to say, Kris could already hear the yelling from outside the manor. He scurried to the living room and was greeted by the five pairs of tense eyes.

   "Go and ask Luhan hyung! He knows what's inside my mind!" Tao shouted at no one in particular and slouched off at the black leather sofa in fury.

   Everyone turned to look at Luhan but Kris cut off before he could say anything. "It's true."

   "Does she know.. about us?" Xiumin asked Kris calmly.

   Kris shook his head and everyone seemed to relax a little. "I don't know. It's just something.. I never felt before. There's something in her that drawns me into her. I.. just.." Kris ran his hand through his hair. For the first time, words failed him.

   "You like her," Lay said, staring impassively at the fireplace. Chen nodded in agreement.

   "I don't know.. I don't understand this feelings either." Kris's face hardened into a mixture of sadness and exasperation.  

   "That's because you never fall in love." Luhan who was strolling into the living room after retrieving a teapot and a few teacups in the kitchen said casually. "Tea, anyone?" The question looked odd and so out of place in the situation but hey- different people have different way of soothing somebody.

   Lay who quickly seated himself beside Luhan said, "Don't worry hyung. Falling in love is not a bad thing."

   "It is a bad thing when you fall in love with a human!" Tao rose to his feet in exasperation. "You guys just don't understand! Humans are dangerous to us! They risked exposing everyone of us! Remember what happened when Chen hyung brought his so-called girlfriend home? She broke off running the second she knew who we are and left Chen hyung-' WHAMP.

   Chen threw his fist at Tao. Xiumin and Kris immediately held Chen from both sides while Luhan and Lay stood by Tao's side.

   Tao who had his hand on his cheek yelled at Chen, "Hyung! You- of all people, see? See what the girl has done to us? She. Poses. A. Threat. To. Us." He emphasized on each word. "She will tear our family apart."

   "No, Tao. You are just mad. Your Kris hyung had finally laid his eyes on a girl after hundreds of decades and we are going to do whatever it takes to welcome her in our family." Xiumin said firmly.

   Tao scoffed and struggled himself out of Luhan's and Lay's firm hands. "You guys are going to regret for not listening to my words." A gust of wind in the living room and Tao had disappeared leaving the air cold and the atmosphere tense.

   Chen and Xiumin sighed at the same time while Kris closed his eyes in frustration.

   "It's okay, Kris. He's just worried about us. He does not meant anything he said." Xiumin put his hand soothingly on Kris's shoulder.

   "We got your back, hyung. Don't worry." Lay beamed at Kris.

   "Since she's in the same class with ours, you don't mind us hitting on her, don't you?" Luhan winked at Kris which earned him a punch at the shoulder. "Ouch! Hyung, you really love this girl, don't you?" He rubbed his shoulder.

   "To be honest, you deserved that." Chen tried to contain his laughter.

   "It was just a tiny punch and there you are, squeaking like a little duck." Lay mimicked a duck's character and everyone burst in laughter.

   "Yah! What is this? Are you guys plotting together to bring me down? But worry shall not as mighty Luhan would not be kicked out of his throne simply by these little doofus." He made a gesture of a person ending his speech with a flourish.

   "Doofus?" Chen, Xiumin, Lay and Kris repeated in the same time. Luhan's eyes widen. O'ow.

   "Yah! Who taught you that unethical word? I'm going to kill you!"

   "Who are you to call me doofus?"

   "I'm going to find you wherever you are.."

   "I'm faster than you, you know that, right little Luhan? So you better run as fast as you can.."