Chapter 4

Vampire Exo

   Chen closed his eyes for a moment. He held his breath while muttering 'sorry' to Yoon Mi and slowly crept his way out of the fitting room. After that, he disappeared in a split second, leaving her speechless and astounded for the second time of the day. Why do I feel like nothing's going to be normal for me anymore.. She sighed. Suddenly, the idea of swimming wasn't that great anymore.
   
   Other clan of vampires would frown when they see this ; a bunch of vampires having dinner, eating normal human food at normal dinner time like a normal family. But Kris thought it was a good way of keeping the family members close together so he made it mandatory for everyone in the house to eat together for dinner. And it really brought everyone together as dinner was the time where they share stories and interact with each other like a real family.
   "Yah, today I got paired with a girl in my class for a school project." Luhan began as he sipped his 'blood syrup'.
   "Is she any.. hot, hyung?" Tao chirped in.
   "Ani.. geunyang.. normal girl.." Luhan replied.
   "What's her name again?" Lay asked while cutting his steak.
   "Yoon Mi.. Lee Yoon Mi?" Luhan questioned Lay back, not feeling sure enough.
   Kris felt his body went stiff.
   "Ah, that petite, brunette-haired girl right?" Chen asked Luhan as he swallowed a spoonful of his lamb chop.
   Luhan nodded.
   "I know her." Everyone turned to look at Xiumin. "I.. just had a weird first encounter with her."
   "Me too," Chen interjected.
   "An embarassing one," Xiumin continued.
   "How embarassing is embarassing?" Lay asked.
   "Very."
   "Yeah, me too." Kris replied and everyone turned to look at him. Kris suddenly felt his throat went dry so he took a large sip of his orange juice. An awkward silence fell through the dining table and Kris felt the heavy gaze from their maknae, Tao.
   
   Kris lied on his king-sized four-poster bed covered by golden sheets. He put his hand behind his back and stared at the stars scattering over the sky through the window. Lee Yoon Mi.. Yoon Mi.. All of a sudden, the wind had gone wild and the curtains were bristling wildly. Kris heard the sound of a glass breaking and he looked to his left to see his tea cup had fell down from the end table. He glanced at his wristwatch and hesitated for a few moments. After that, he exhaled a long breath and rose to his feet. He immediately grabbed his long dark blue coat and got out from the mansion through the window.
   Yoon Mi glanced at her wristwatch. It was almost 10 p.m. Did I really took that long for grocery shopping? And it was only groceries.. Her subconscious told her. She was skipping as she took a shortcut to her apartment through an alley. Nothing could be happier than holding roses to her even if there was only a stalk of it.
   All too sudden,she heard a girl's loud shriek. She struggled to see in the dim light and finally made out three guys and one girl. The guys - two were holding the girl and one was scrutinizing the girl way back from up and down.
   "Yah!" Yoon Mi yelled. All of them turned but only the guy who did the scrutinizing made his way to her. As he was getting nearer, she backed off over and over until she reached the inception of the alley.
   "Who are you to interrupt?" The guy barked at her and after that everything happened all too fast for Yoon Mi to work out. High-beamed lights were flashing straigtly at her face. She realized the villain guy had pushed her to the street and she was about to be hit by a car. She closed her eyes and waited for the pain to embrace her. But it didn't. Instead, she felt two cold hands wrapped around her and with unfathomable reasons, she immediately felt safe. She opened her eyes as the sight of Kris greeted her. The all-too perfect face was crimpled with concern.
   "I'm gonna let go of my hand." The soft and husky voice said.
   Yoon Mi realized the perfect figure was waiting for her response. She was too stunned and completely in aghast with the situations that unfolded before her. She tried to speak but nothing came out from . She lost her voice. Under the lit of halogen floodlight, she could see Kris's gaze soften at her. He pulled Yoon Mi in his arms and she automatically clinged her hands behind his neck. Kris pulled open the door to his white Audi R8 and gently laid Yoon Mi at the black leather seat.
   What? Wait, don't leave me. Kris pulled away just as she was getting comfortable in his embrace. She watched as Kris gracefully moved across the street and disappeared into the dark alley. She just realized that the car was parked across the alley she walked through just now. She didn't notice given Kris's movements were way too fast for her to catch up.

   Seconds later, she saw three terrified guys were running from the alley with their body badly beaten. She saw one of the guy was carrying a bent knife, but then again she wasn't sure as the streets were lacking in light. Kris then appeared from the shadow looking as beautiful as ever but with a scary look on his face. He was staring at the direction the guys ran to just now. For a brief moment, Kris wore the look of a predator hunting its prey. His pair of cold eyes flickered at Yoon Mi. She was terrorized by the sudden eye contact as the eyes doesn't wear a tiny inkling of warmth a human has but she just couldn't brought herself to tear her eyes away.
   The intense moment was interrupted by the girl who was attacked before as she scurried to stand in front of Kris and bowed to him with gratitude. Kris pulled out a soft linen handkerchief and handed it to the young girl when he saw her sneezing. The girl bowed to him again and Yoon Mi could see the girl was slightly flushed. She felt a sudden pang of jealousy and cursed herself for being jealous over a stranger. She looked down and stared at her hands. Moments later, she heard Kris's swift movements as he filled the driver's seat next to her. She couldn't believe the insatiable moments. She was sitting in the extravagant car with the all-too-perfect Kris beside her. The car suddenly felt too cozy and she felt herself gasping for air.
   "Are you okay?" The soft and husky voice asked. If it was feeling any nervous, it was well covered with concern.
   Yoon Mi just couldn't lift her head up. She nodded slowly.
   "Hey," he called softly. "Look at me."
   She lifted her head slowly but avoided meeting his eyes.
   "Your lips are pale. Are you sure you're fine?" Why won't you look into my eyes? Yeah right, who would look into this pair of cold eyes. He looked down, feeling ashamed with himself.
   "I'm.. fine," she finally managed to say.
   He took off his jacket and quickly covered her body that seemed to shiver a little.
   "Thank you." She muttered and he nodded before roaring his car's engine into life. They sped up in the darkness of the night and it wasn't long before he pulled up in front of her apartment. She didn't know how he knew her adress and didn't dare to ask herself.
   The beauty of having a sports car is that you can arrive at your destination faster, of course, Kris thought. Not that he didn't like having Yoon Mi's company but the tiny and disclose space the car provided made it easier for him to smell her scent. He had to shift in his seat in discomfort for a few times and her scent that seemed to get stronger by minutes didn't do any help either.

   Kris glanced to his right and soften at the sight of Yoon Mi fast asleep. Poor her, it must've been a shock to her. He climbed out of the car and moved in an immeasurable second to the passenger's side. He pulled the door open slowly, being careful so as not to wake Yoon Mi up. He pulled Yoon Mi from her seat gracefully and cradled her in his arms. Closing the door silently behind him, he glanced around to make sure nobody's there and the next moment he was already in front of Yoon Mi's apartment door.

   Yoon Mi woke up the next morning feeling dazzled. Seoul's sunlight managed to warm her little bedroom. It was too warm and Yoon Mi felt went dry. She sat up straight and struggled to keep her sleepy eyes open. She patted behind her neck while frowning slightly, trying to figure out what happened last night. After the whole mess last night, Kris had put carried her all the way from his car to her room and put her to to bed. Yoon Mi felt wide awake now. Kris put her to bed? Bed? She blinked a few times, trying to assess the idea of it. Kris.. put me to bed..
   Suddenly, she felt excited to go to school. After a rushing shower, hastily dressing herself in pink blouse with a pair of jeans and finally putting up her hair into a braid, she dashed outside of her apartment and skipped along the way to school. As always, she stopped by the flower shop she worked at and after exchanging a polite greetings with Min Seok ahjumma, she plucked a stalk of white rose. She waved at Min Seok ahjumma and continue skipping along the way to school.

   Throughout the day, Yoon Mi was hoping she would see Kris anytime soon. She had brought the white rose with her for a reason. She wanted to give it to Kris as a token of gratitude. But she didn't see him until the class was over. The usually-welcomed-but-dreaded-today bell rang. Yoon Mi stared down at the rose, lying calmly on her desk. She looked at it as sorrow gripped her heart.
   Yoon Mi practically dragged her feet as she made her way to the school library to borrow a few books for her project research. Then, she heard a girl's sob coming from deserted school corridor outside the library.
Yoon Mi peered around and shocked to see Kris standing in front a sobbering girl. What had he done to her? Yoon Mi inched closer to hear their conversation. She felt guilty for eavesdropping but she was too curious to know.
   "Oppa.. I really like you.." The girl said between her sobs. Yoon Mi couldn't make out Kris's reply but Yoon Mi's eyes widen to see the girl trying to hug Kris. Yoon Mi gasped when Kris's eyes flickered to her in that precise moment.