A Friendly Date

You Are Now My Eternity

 

Saejin brought me to the sub. I was my first time riding the train. I was holding on to her gray jacket, not wanting her to be lost. Or maybe it was me who might get lost. The two of us bought fruit shakes before heading to the sub.

We rode the train side by side. People eyed us cautiously perhaps because of our matching beanies. Saejin bought this red beanie for me but she said it was too cute and got jealous so she bought one for herself.

A halmoni who was sitting in front of us smiled widely as I set my eyes on her. She was carrying a plastic bag resting over her lap. I smiled back at her then looked beside me to find Saejin bowing her head, hair flowing down the side of her face, perhaps taking a nap. I noticed that her position was slightly uncomfortable so I pulled her beside me and let her head rest on my shoulder. I raised a hand and brought the stray hairs behind her ear to clear her face.

This was the first time I saw her face this close. So close... I chuckled to my self as I notice her features. That cute little nose, her long lashes fanned across her flushed cheeks and her lips slightly ajar as she breathe peacefully.

I grinned as she pouted and whispered names and random things. But then she frowned and she looked bothered. She was whimpering lowly, softly, too soft for anyone else to hear. But then I heard her speak, clear, she had spoken of my name.

“Young boy, you’re girlfriend is having a nightmare.” The halmoni spoke but then she smiled “If you don’t want to wake her up, at least hold her hand. That’s enough to make her feel secured.”

I nodded and reached down to hold her hand. She gripped my hand tightly, as if she was going to fall. I rubbed her knuckles to sooth her, like the halmoni said, to make her feel secured. She then flinched then started blinking lightly. I immediately let go if her hand and then smiled at her when she looked up at me with droopy eyes.

“I had a weird dream.” She whispered.

“I know.” I said.

“You know? How?” She asked me, her eyes worried.

“You were mumbling random things.” I said.

“Really?” She widened her doe eyes “What did I say?”

“Nothing important.” I said, shifting to my side and looking at the window.

“Was it loud?” She asked softly, almost like a whisper, only louder than an average hush.

“Not that loud but loud enough for me to hear.”

“Wah! So embarrassing!” She whined and covered her face with her palms “Since you showed up, I have always had weird dreams.”

I grinned at her but he gave me a scowl before biting her lower lip and shifted to me. She grabbed my arm and started pinching it. Her expressions were so funny and I found it really amusing especially when she was acting so mad at me but when I grin at her, she always burst out giggling but making it stop immediately making it more amusing.

“I hate you~” She whined again, using that cute tone she always had whenever she complained to me about something “You’re so annoying~”

“You’re so annoying~” I mimicked her tone while making a face making her more annoyed than she already was.

She grimaced before grabbing my arm again and pinched it. This time, HARD.

“Ow!” I pulled back my arm and pouted, it hurt. A LOT. I folded back the sleeve of my jacket and revealed the bluish-red patch now forming on my skin.

“Oh my…” She brought a hand to before pulling back my injured arm, the arm she injured and immediately rubbed it lightly “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

I didn’t say anything and just stared at the swelling bruise on my arm.

“I’m so sorry, Chan.” Finally! She called me by the name. She calls me by name only when she’s in the mood. That was why Minseok-hyung was thinking of the wrong thing, he thought that ‘angel’ was an endearment and we were couples. Of course we denied it. Just because we really weren’t.

“I swear I didn’t mean it, oh gosh, I’m so sorry.” She continued to rub the skin until it burned with friction.

“Ow, ow.” I tried pulling back again but she wouldn’t budge “Saejin, I’m okay, I’m okay.”

                “Sorry~” she further whined. I chuckled at her reaction.

                “I said I’m okay~” I whined back making her smile.

                “You sure?” She asked and I just nodded but to my surprise, she continued rubbing my bruise. Aigoo… This girl… really…

                She then shifted and looked out the window, her hand still over my newly formed bruise. I was awed at how she cared formed when I was hurt, even though it was merely her fault.

                A voice informed the passengers that the next station was coming. I felt Saejin tugging my hand, making sure I know that we were leaving in then next station.

                We stood and headed for the door, this time, instead of me holding on to Saejin’s jacket, she was pulling me by the hand to the door. Before we went off, I bowed to the halmoni and left with Saejin. I heard her mumble a little phrase.

                “Aigoo… Couple these days…”

After a quick walk, I realized that we were in Yeouido after reading the town directory. What were we going to do in Yeouido? I don’t really have an idea.

                We walked until we spotted a store of pork skewers. The smell was… well… getting me hungry. Wah… my stomach’s talking to me again. Saejin bought two skewers and a bowl of ddeokbokki. After all, I was giving her most of my allowance. Yes, that’s right. Hananim’s giving me monthly allowance like I was a college student.

The ajjuma placed two sticks in the bowl so we could share. Saejin cooked these kinds of stuffs at home but as I remembered… it wasn’t this red.

“Try it.” She smiled while raising a stick of ddeokbokki.

I hesitated at first but I do trust Saejin. Even if I die right now… I sighed before biting the rice cake.

My eyes widened and my eyes were now tearing. I chewed it more and I felt my cheeks burning. I swallowed and the burning sensation shifted to my throat. Oh gosh. I haven’t told Saejin yet that I wasn’t really a fan of very spicy foods.

“Oh my, Chan, you okay?” She asked me.

“Yes, I just need a little water.” I said with a little voice, almost like a squeak.

Saejin searched the contents of her bag. She took out a bottle of water, opened it and handed it to me. Immediately took it and chugged until the burning sensation was relieved. I let out a big sigh before looking at Saejin who had a smug smile on her face.

“What?” I asked.

“Gosh, you are soooooooo cute” She pinched my cheek again. Does this girl really have an addiction of pinching people? Because if she does, she needs rehab because it really hurts!

“Ow.” I squeaked but didn’t further complain when I received my pork skewer.

Thankfully, the skewer was not that spicy so I was contented with it. Once finished, I grabbed on to Saejin’s jacket again whenever she walked faster, she didn’t mind anyways.

We further walked to the parks, to where the fountains were. We found a nice shady spot and laid the small mat Saejin had packed for the two of us. We both sat there, watching the kids run and splash water everywhere. I was amused at how happy the kids here were. They were so unlike Saejin when she was a kid. She was always sulking at a corner. She just became happy when she was adopted.

I looked to my side, Saejin was taking out a container from my backpack. When did she put that there?

"I made this for you." She grinned and opened the container, revealing freshly cut kiwis with whipped cream.

"Wah!" my mouth watered at how delicious the kiwis looked, she indeed was really good at cooking, even though this was didn't include heating.

"Like?" She handed me a spoon.

"A lot." I grinned and took the spoon, hurriedly digging into the sweet and creamy treat.

"Are you happy?" she asked me, making me look at her resting form. Oh how I was confused by her random questions.

"Why are you asking?" I asked, stopping shortly from eating the fruits.

"Nothing, I just want to know, angel" she spoke, closing her eyes.

"Of course I am. Even though you're not doing all these, just seeing you fine makes me happy."

"Thank you. Angel"

"For what?"

"Being with me."

Somehow I felt something was wrong. Why was she saying all these all of the sudden? I felt like I was being kicked out from her company.

"I am being kicked out?" I asked looking everywhere but her. I had weird feeling in my chest,

"No, angel, you're not."

"Then why are you telling me all these? Do you want me out?" The feeling was now spreading on my chest, uncontrollably eating out my last drop of self control "Saejin, I'm sorry if I'm being a burden. But I did not choose to become human, I'm sorry..”

"No, angel no," she sat up from her former position sounding like she was almost crying "Oh my gosh, Chanyeol, I’m so sorry. It's not like that, I'm sorry it got to you that way."

She moved to my side and hugged me. It was the first time I was hugged, felt the warmth of someone. I suddenly felt lonely being an angel.

"I’m so sorry." She sighed, deeply, it was almost like a sob "I just wanted you to feel welcomed but I guess it to you the other way around."

I still didn't answer, stunned by her sudden actions.

"Thank you so much for keeping me company" she murmured "I was asking you if you were happy because I know sooner or later you'll leave me. Before that, I just want you to be happy so that you’ll remember me when you go up there. I’m going to miss you... miss you so much...."