Sundown

Drabble Prompts

Prompt: 25 minutes | humor | hotel

 

 

 

“How much time left?”

“25 minutes or so. I’m not really sure but we better get out of here before sundown.”

Jongin swipes an arm through the counter, pushing the canned goods down the almost full bag of necessities. The sound of the goods falling and bumping to other things echoes eerily over the silent convenient store.

“Hurry.”

He spares a look at his shifty, wide-eyed companion. He notes the increasing distress in those eyes as the time runs, the sun slowly but steadily disappearing. He nods sharply, zipping the bag and inhaling before hefting the bag over his shoulders. It was heavy but he was used to carrying far heavier things.

“Come on, scaredy-cat. We’re done here.” Jongin picks up his rifle, scanning the abandoned store one last time just in case he missed anything.

“Got everything?”

He doesn’t answer. Instead, he pats Kyungsoo’s neck before slipping past the door cautiously, alert and nerves beginning to be on edge. He scrutinizes each end of the road before motioning to the first-time supply runner a clear. He runs to the middle of the road to get a clearer view of the place, all alleys and dark spots within his sight.

Kyungsoo scrambles to hurry, completely forgetting that he was holding a hand gun given by Suho. He exits and lets go of the door far too quickly.

Five minutes later, he was pointing his gun to the door, safety clicked off and shattered glass adorning the ground.

Jongin has to admit that that was a hell of a reflex and might applaud Kyungsoo sometime later if they can somehow avoid attracting the dead with that completely unnecessary noise.

The gunshot was still ringing in his ears.

“, ! Incoming! One, two – damnit! Five, Jongin!”

Yes, he can see that. Also, those loud shuffling and creepy groans were dead giveaways.

“What the are you waiting for? Come on!” Jongin grabs the sleeves of the frozen Kyungsoo and half-drags him across the street. “Snap out of it!”

Kyungsoo jumped and flinched.

“Yea-yeah. There! It looks empty!”

They sprint hand-in-hand to the deserted building.

More zombies were appearing at every corner, the groans and moans getting progressively louder.

“Of all places Kyungsoo-hyung. Really?” Jongin casts a quick deadpan look at the older boy.

The red wallpapers were torn and the doors on the corridor were either scratched or completely wrecked. The broken sign on the front desk reads ‘L VE  OT  L.’ It was pretty much self-explanatory.

They run past the elevator and went straight to the emergency stairs. It was getting darker by the minute, the sun leaving them to fend for themselves.

Jongin pushes back Kyungsoo before cocking his rifle, ready to shoot any wondering zombies that they might encounter.

The zombies from the streets are close to completely breaking down the flimsy glass door.

“Let’s go!” Jongin shifts the heavy bag of supplies to a better position. They can’t afford to drop it now. “We’re heading straight for the rooftop. We’ll try to jump over the roofs. Let’s just hope every damn zombies are down here.”

Kyungsoo swallows heavily but returns his determined stare.

Jongin’s gaze softens before pecking Kyungsoo on the lips. The wild panic that was visible in Kyungsoo’s eyes ebbs a little and he blinks.

“For luck.” Jongin grins.

Together, they head up to their fate.

 

 

 

 

 

- zombies! hurrah!
- i wonder where the humor went though. ORZ

- unbeta-ed. mistakes are entirely by MS word myself