Chapter 5

SM Battle

July 3rd, 2012 

 
 
 
  "Hello?" Luhan picked up his phone that was sitting on the desk in his room. "Who is this?"
 
  "Hello, Mr. Xi. I am a reporter from the Seoul news department, and I would like to meet up sometime today for an interview," a male voice spoke up from the opposite end of the phone.
 
  "Well, I'm sorry. I don't think we are allowed to have such interviews. So, goodbye," Luhan politely bid his goodbye ready to hang up.
 
  "Wait! We got permission from Mr. Lee Soo Man," the reporter explained. 
 
  Luhan who was just a second away from hanging up was startled  to hear Mr. Lee's name mentioned. "Continue," he spoke up in a low yet quiet voice as he stood up to close his room door. 
 
  "According to Mr. Lee Soo Man's instructions, we are allowed to pull one member from each group for a daily interview," the reporter cleared his throat. "And for the first day we decided to interview you, Mr. Xi Luhan."
 
  "I see," Luhan nodded though he knew the other person could not see. "When should we meet up?"
 
  "How about in one hour? Is that alright with you?" the reporter suggested. "We will be contacting the other person right after this phone call."
 
  "An hour?" Luhan bit his lip as he checked his watch. "Well, I did have a plan...but I can cancel that."
 
  "I'm glad to hear. I'll be meeting you at 5 PM, which is one hour from now, at the front entrance of the SM building."
 
  "I understand," Luhan ended the conversation.  Luhan sat himself down on his bed. It's 4 right now...He checked his watch. A cup coffee won't hurt. Luhan thought to himself, standing up and walking towards his closet. After grabbing a jacket, he walked out of the room door.
 
  "Where you going?" Xiumin asked, after noticing Luhan walking out of his room.
 
  "A cup of coffee and I then I have to meet up with somebody," Luhan replied, walking towards the front door.
 
  "I thought you were going to practice with Krystal, weren't you?" Xiumin stood up from the couch walking towards Luhan. "Don't tell me you're going to cancel. We have a meeting tomorrow, remember?" Xiumin tried to convince Luhan from going.
 
  "I can't cancel this, sorry Hyung," Luhan looked up to apologize to his Hyung. He was sitting on the ground, trying to put on his shoe. "Mind helping me tell Krystal? I'll plan it all out and just tell her what to do tomorrow. Tell her not to worry for me. Okay? Thanks Hyung!" Luhan finished putting on his shoe and walked straight out of the door not even waiting for a reply.
 
  "Fine..." Xiumin frowned as he watched a golden-haired boy run out the door.
 
 
```~~~```
 
  "Hello?"
 
  "Nice to meet you. Are you Miss Im Yoona?" the same reporter who was talking to Luhan asked the girl.
 
  "Yes...and who are you, may I ask?" Yoona politely questioned the male.
 
  "I am a reporter from the Seoul news department. Mr. Lee Soo Man has agreed to let us interview one member from the groups daily. And for the first day, we have decided to interview you, Miss Im Yoona," the reporter explained.
 
  "Alright," Yoona replied.
 
  "Who is it?" Kai whispered in the background.
 
  "I'm sorry, are you busy right now?" the reporter asked after hearing a few whispers in the back.
 
  "Ahh, no it's okay. It's just a little boy," Yoona snickered.
 
  "So may we meet up?" the reporter continued with the topic.
 
  "Why sure!" Yoona cheerfully replied.
 
  "Alright then. At 5 PM, I'll meet you at the entrance of the SM building."
 
  "I got it. Goodbye!" Yoona hung up.
 
  "I am NOT a little boy," Kai immediately scowled at Yoona.
 
  "Calm down," Yoona laughed. "So are you done eating? You take a really long time. Since you are a 'man', shouldn't you be able to eat faster? I mean, once again, you're NOT a little boy. What's worse is this is just a small snack! There's still dinner today, you know?" Yoona joked.
 
  "I know! But I just want to enjoy my food and not stuff it down," Kai argued back. "Wait so you admit I'm a  handsome man?" He smiled, leaning his face closer to the girl sitting across from her.
 
  "Sure..." Yoona replied with a tinge of sarcasm in her voice. "What time is it right now?"
 
  "Uhh, 4:30 PM," Kai checked his watch.
 
  "Good. Now, hurry and eat! I'll pay today," Yoona smiled proudly.
 
  "Really? Wow, and I was even thinking I'd have to pay double for a big eater like you," Kai laughed.
 
  "Hey, watch what you say," Yoona warned him.
 
  "Sorry," Kai laughed, throwing his hands up jokingly.
 
  "You have to pay for me next time though," Yoona stuck her tongue out while pulling her wallet out. "I'll go pay first," she stood up and walked towards the cashier desk.
 
  Kai nodded and smiled as he watched his beautiful noona walk away from him towards the cashier. 
 
 
```~~~```
 
  "Mr. Xi Luhan! You're here!" the reporter ran towards the young man standing in front of the SM building's main entrance door.
 
  "Oh," Luhan turned around. "Nice to meet you. Xi Luhan from EXO here!" Luhan bowed.
 
  "How polite," the reporter laughed. "We're a bit early," the reporter checked his watch.
 
  "Oh yea. It's only 4:50 right now. Who is the other person that is coming?" Luhan carefully brought up the topic.
 
  "Oh! I forgot to tell you. Yoona will be having this interview with you today," the reporter laughed at his own mistake. "I figured I should get the official visuals of the two groups to interview first. And, here she comes!" the reporter gestured at the girl running over.
 
  "I'm so sorry... I'm late!" Yoona tried to catch her breath, leaning on her knees. "..Oh?" Yoona stood up straight and fixed her hair. "Jaemon oppa?"
 
  "So, now you remember me?" Jaemon laughed.
 
  "I should of known! Your voice did sound a bit familiar...long time no see!" Yoona gave him a friendly hug.
 
  Jaemon hugged her back, but noticed Luhan's confused expression. "Oh, Mr. Xi Luhan. You must be so confused," he laughed, breaking away from the hug. "Yoona and I are close friends from her debut days."
 
  "L-luhan?" Yoona turned to face him. "Oh...you're here too?"
 
  "Yeah..." Luhan replied awkwardly rubbing the back of his head.
 
  "Alright, shall we go in?" Jaemon asked the two.
 
  "Let's go!" Yoona wrapped her arm around Jaemon's walking next to him. 
 
  "Mmhmm..." Luhan mumbled to himself, slowly dragging himself in behind the two friends.
 
 
 
  
 
  "Take a seat," Jaemon politely asked the two. "Oh and Mr. Xi Luhan, I haven't formally introduced myself yet. Nice to meet you, I am Park Jaemon."
 
  "Nice to meet you. Just call me Luhan," Luhan bowed his head.
 
  "So what are you going to be asking us?" Yoona comfortably started asking.
 
  "You see, I'll be asking questions just like any other reporters. The only difference is before I publish anything,  I will be confirming it with Mr. Lee Soo Man. So just talk normally. However, something surprised me a bit," Jaemon scrunched his eyebrows.
 
  "What did?" Luhan suddenly sat up straight.
 
  "He told me to find out about everything. Like couples, friendship, and all of your relationships. It's the first time...first time I've seen Mr. Lee Soo Man, the CEO of SM Entertainment, to be so...I don't know what to say..easygoing?" Jaemon shrugged.
 
  "Friendship?" Luhan raised an eyebrow.
 
  "Couples? I thought he was the one telling us to never be in a relationship. Or at the very least, expose it," Yoona asked confusedly.
 
  "Not sure, we'll see," Jaemon peeked into his bag, pulling out a pen and a white sheet of paper. "Right now, I'll be asking one of you, privately, some questions. I'll switch off time to time, so no, not all the questions will be flying at you all at once. I'll be sitting over there," he pointed at a desk with two chairs far away in the corner of the room. "With either one of you. So I , and Mr. Lee Soo Man, hope you'll answer truthfully and comfortably. Luhan-sshi? You first please."
 
  "W-what? So you want me to just sit here? Alone? Doing NOTHING?" Yoona whined.
 
  "Just for a little while Yoona, don't worry too much," Jaemon tried to calm her down.
 
  "Worried? Why would I be worried?" Yoona started asking. "I ju- whatever. I'll wait," Yoona sighed, remembering Luhan was there.
 
  "Good, we'll be done really fast," Jaemon gave a small smile, observing Yoona's sudden surrender and Luhan's calm look. 
 
 
 
 
 
  "What exactly is your relationship with Yoona?" Jaemon immediately asked Luhan after taking a seat. "You guys must have something special."
 
  "We're just friends that's all," Luhan coolly laid back on his chair. "Friends in the same company, and within the same age area."
 
  "Come'on. I know you guys aren't just friends. From the looks of it, you guys seem like something more. Maybe in a relationship?" Jaemon sat up straight, whirling his pen around his fingers. "Or something less extreme...best friends?"
 
  "Well, I guess you can think of it that way. We are...pretty close," Luhan rubbed his neck. 
 
  "Close as in?" Jaemon twirled his hands in circles, motioning Luhan to continue. "Boyfriend? Girl-"
 
  "Friends," Luhan assured him. "Friends."
 
  "A-alright then," Jaemon put his pen down. "Can you help me call Yoona over here now?"
 
  "Sure thing," Luhan stood up and walked towards Yoona.
 
  Yoona who was sitting there just about to fall asleep, was able to hear a few footstep coming closer. Immediately she stood up, "My turn?"
 
  Luhan just nodded, taking the seat next to her.
 
  "Oppa!" Yoona called out, running towards the table far out in the corner. "This is just messed up," she sighed looking at Jaemon, then at the table.
 
  "What?" Jaemon shrugged. "You changed a lot Im Yoona, now take a seat!"
  
  "Alright, alright." Yoona took a seat across from him. "Come'on. Question me. I'm ready!"
 
  Jaemon laughed at her cuteness. "Okay then. Let's get right to it. Who is your closest male friend in SM?"
 
  "I was really close to Leeteuk Oppa, but like I started hanging out with someone else a lot. Like now we are best friends. Like BEST," Yoona emphasized on her words sincerely. 
 
  "And who is that?" Jaemon calmly asked her, picking up his pen.
 
  Yoona sighed as she leaned towards Jaemon, motioning him to get closer too. "Him," Yoona pointed at Luhan who was sitting on the opposite corner of the room quietly.
 
  "Then why do you guys seem so awkward and shy now?" Jaemon questioned further.
 
  "Well.." Yoona started pondering whether to say more. "You see, we're in different groups. So, technically we're 'forbidden' to see each other," Yoona paused to check if Jaemon was following along. After getting a nod, she started again. "And so Kai is in my group. Kai is like the sweetest little guy ever. Although he gets kind of mad when I say that, but he's just so...in a way pure and innocent. Then, all of a sudden Luhan just gets mad at me? Or somewhat angry? I don't know if it's me hanging out with Kai or something else, but I was really disappointed in him."
 
  "Kai. He was mad. You were disappointed. Everything in a ugly mood," Jaemon sort of summarized everything Yoona said whilst writing it down. "Okay. That's it for now. I'll call you over later."
 
  "Already?" Yoona gasped, standing up from her seat. "I was just getting into the mood..." she mumbled to herself, walking back.
 
  "My turn?" Luhan pointed at himself after watching Yoona walk back.
 
  "Yeah," Yoona nodded taking a seat.
 
  "Here we go again," Luhan grunted as he stood up walking back to Jaemon.
 
  Jaemon smiled and pointed towards the seat across him. "Hi there again, Luhan. Ah! May I informally call you Luhan?"
 
  "No problem," Luhan gave a small smile back.
 
  "Alright now. Kai is a fellow member of your group EXO, but is in the other unit, EXO-K, am I right?"
 
  Luhan nodded slowly, wondering what he would ask how.
 
  "Is he like a little brother to you? Or is he just another member in your group?" 
 
  "What do you mean?" Luhan was bewildered to get such a question. "Of course he's more than just a member. We both auditioned and got in. We met and started training together. For those who actually experienced the training would believe this is a second. It's tough and  once you meet a friend, who even turns out to be in your group, they've passed the friend zone."
 
  "I see..." Jaemon nodded. "I understand. I've been interviewing a lot of idols and just like you, their explanations are clean, cut, and straight to the point. You guys are family and I'm amazed by that fact. Now enough about that topic. I was just wondering," Jaemon gave a small and warm smile. "Brothers have always fought or argued. Whether it's about a game, girl, or even food! Siblings fight but always stay close. Did you recently have any grudges on any of your EXO members?"
 
  "A grudge?" Luhan said outloud. "No...not that I know of."
 
  "Alright. Last question. Name your closest female friends in SM."
 
  "Well," Luhan sighed. "from the looks of it, you probably know who it is right? Looking at the questions you asked me, seems like you asked her somewhat the same type of question."
 
  "You're a clever one," Jaemon complimented. "I know your close to Yoona. But, anyone else? I mean your other female friends in SM?"
 
  "Well, I have a lot as friends and all, but closest..." Luhan started mumbling different names. "To be honest, I'm pretty close to Seohyun."
 
  "Seohyun-sshi?" Jaemon was surprised to even hear her name in this conversation. She was someone he totally did not expect as an answer from him. "How did you guys meet?"
 
  "Like anyone else would. By a friend. Yoona and I were planning to go eat together, she brought Seohyun while I brought Sehun. We exchanged numbers so after that we started texting. Now that I think about it, she's actually the second female friend I am closest with aside from Yoona."
 
  "Was that supposed to be a double date or something?" Jaemon shrugged rather curiously.
 
  "Oh," Luhan chuckled. "It sounds a bit like that right?" he laughed again. "Well, it's not at all. It's just a simple friend meeting. So after that, is 4 got pretty close with each other. In fact, we used to meet up weekly."
 
  "Oh really?" Jaemon replied, scribbling a bunch of words on his sheets of paper. "That's it for you. Please call Yoona over for me, and wait just a while more?"
 
  "Sure," Luhan shrugged returning his normal cool look. With hands in his pockets, he walked back to Yoona. "Your turn," he said, again taking a seat.
 
  "Oh ok, thanks!" Yoona gave a small smile, hoping for one in return. Instead, she received nothing but a side view look of Luhan perfect-like face. She quietly sighed and started walking to the table in the corner throwing a smile on her face.
 
  "Yoona," Jaemon smiled.
 
  "Oppa," Yoona replied back, sitting down.
 
  "Just ONE last question. Okay?"
 
  "Sure. I'll answer anything," Yoona smiled.
 
  "Do you have any intentions in replacing Kai in Luhan's spot?" Jaemon gave an assuring smile, hoping for an answer.
 
  "Replacing?" Yoona returned a bitter smile. She paused and thought for a while, thinking of the perfect words to say. "Replacing? Of course not! Luhan's my best friend and if Kai does ever come even further than now, having two male best friends wouldn't hurt. I mean take this for an example, I have 8 sisters and I love them all equally," Yoona smiled to herself, satisfied with her answer.
 
  "Yoona..." Jaemon sighed to himself. "Not only am I asking this as a reporter but a friend too. To help clear your feelings. From everything I heard today, I have to say Kai has a crush on you. Whether it's true or not, I don't care right now. That's your job to find out. "
 
  "Find out?" Yoona shook her head. "You're wrong. What is most important right now is the concert. I don't have time for this little mystery. I have my job and my FRIENDS. Nothing's going to change," Yoona continued shaking her head.
 
  Jaemon sighed as he stood up and gazed at Yoona. "We'll see," he said, leaning in, whispering to Yoona. "If your job is most important, then I hope mine won't hurt you. I'll give it my best at this project, and do my job. Just like you, Im Yoona. And so, I hope I can be just as certain as you. Certain that my job is most important."
 

```~~~```

  "Well," Luhan walked out of the SM building, standing next to Yoona. "It's 6, some dinner?"
 
  "Will-"
 
  "I'll pay," Luhan smiled at her forever shikskin personality. "Did you have any plans?"
 
  "Not that I know of," Yoona shook her head. "I was just eating with Kai then-" Yoona paused all of a sudden. "I was eating and Jaemon called."
 
  "Oh. Then shall we?" Luhan changed the subject with a handsome smile on his face.
 
  Yoona smiled, "Sure."
 
  "Let's go there," Luhan pointed at a nearby Steakhouse. "They have some really good food. I always go with the other EXO members after practice."
 
  Yoona nodded and started walking towards the restaurant. Luhan who was behind, checked his phone and was ready to see a bunch. Just like expected, there were 5 missed calls from Xiumin. 2 miss call from Krystal. A few texts from Xiumin, Sehun and Seohyun. Luhan cleared all the calls and deleted the message sent by Sehun and Xiumin. After all, the questions they asked weren't so important. 
 
  "Dinner tonight?" Luhan read the message sent by Seohyun as he walked into the restaurant behind Yoona.
 
  "Two please," Yoona told the older looking waitress. 
 
  The waitress nodded and lead the two to their seats. Luhan texted Seohyun a short reply, "Sorry busy," and put his phone back into his pockets.
 
  "So what would you like to eat?" Luhan smiled at Yoona, passing her a menu.
 
  "Not sure. Recommend me some?" Yoona smiled.
 
  "Sure. Could we have two of these please?" Luhan turned to face the waitress who was waiting to take their order.
 
  The waitress nodded and wrote it down. "Your bread  and appetizers will be coming shortly."
 
  "Yes thank you," Yoona bowed her head, showing her respect towards elders. 
 
  "It's nice eating in peace here right? No one recognizing you. I really enjoyed coming here," Luhan looked around.
 
  "It is nice," Yoona smiled also observing the room.
 
  "The food here is really good, I know you'll love it," Luhan laughed, patting her head.
 
  Yoona smiled at his familiar actions which she longed for so long. "I know I will."
 
  Luhan chuckled as he finally felt that things were back to normal. He liked it. 
 
 
```~~~```
 
"Hello, this is the reporter from the Seoul New Department, Park Jaemon. I'm here to meet Mr. Lee," Jaemon told the receptionist, standing behind the counter, with a few words printed on the front, "SM Company CEO Office".
 
  "Yes I see. Mr. Park Jaemon at 8PM today, July 3rd?" the receptionist asked, making sure the appointment was correctly stated.
 
  "Yes."
 
  "Follow me please," the receptionist walked around the counter, leading him to through a long hallway with a room at the end. "Here is Mr. Lee's office. He is waiting for you inside," she informed him, bowing politely.
 
  "Oh alright. Thank you very much," he bowed back. After watching her leave, he turned to face the huge door which leads to a room. "Let's do this nice and simple," he mumbled to himself looking at the piece of magazine cover he was holding. Taking one more deep breath, he flung opened the door.
 
  "Ahh Mr. Park you're here!" Lee Soo Man checked his watch. "Right on time too!"
 
  "Yes..." Jaemon bowed his head. "I have a rough draft to show you," he raised his hand, showing the few sheets of paper.
 
  "Already? I was just expecting a short summary," Lee Soo Man chuckled. "Here let me see," he reached his hand out.
 
  O-oh yes," Jaemon handed him the papers. "You see Luhan and Yoona are really close friends."
 
  "Yes, I am very aware of that," Lee Soo Man nodded. "Yoona...Luhan..." he started reading. "Very intimidating, but very eye catching. I love it!" 
 
  "Thank you," Jaemon bowed again.
 
  "For my 50% of the share, I hope you can publish this on the newspaper or magazine tomorrow or the day after," Lee Soo Man handed him the paper back. "Will that be possible?"
 
  "It is possible, but I was hoping I can interview just a few people before that. I'll try to finish it tomorrow." 
 
  "That works too. Who will you be interviewing?" Lee Soo Man asked curiously.
 
  "Kai and Seohyun," Jaemon replied calmly.
 
  "Why?" Lee Soo Man eyed him.
 
  "Just for the point of it," Jaemon shrugged.
 
  "Alright, but I expect this published the day after tomorrow. Come here again tomorrow for the new revised version," Lee Soo Man stood up, leading Jaemon to the door.
 
  "I understand. Thank you very much," Jaemon bowed for the last time. 
 
 
```~~~```
  A/N Finally chapter 5 is up! Sorry for the late update)): I'm out on vacation, so I'm just going to slowly update the ones I wrote already after a bit of revising and all. The important part of this chapter is the interview and- Okay actually let's just say everything is equal. But here, you find out a lot. Sehun, Seohyun, Luhan, and Yoona meet up weekly, well used to. Plus, Seohyun and Luhan are pretty close! :OO Something might happen there...Kai and Seohyun will be interviewed next, look forward to then! :D So for now, enjoy chapter 5 and please comment and subscribe! Thanks!~