VIII.

Beautiful Stranger

 

VIII. No matter where that is, I'm ready

 

  The cafe was almost empty, almost silent.

  That place was very familiar to him, yet it had somewhat become just a very tiny fragment of his memory. For that was the usual place he used to ask her out for a chat, to enjoy some peaceful time together, or maybe just to see her face.

  And there he was, quietly sipping a cup of coffee, waiting patiently for her. He had arrived fifteen minutes earliar, for he was afraid he'd be late and she might walk out. He wouldn't want to miss the chance, ever again. Was it for reconciliation? What exactly was his main purpose of asking her out? Only he knew the answer himself, very well.

  As a dark figure with her head lowered down with a grey cap walked towards him, he could immediately recognize her. Her long hair was tied up in a ponytail, with a few loose strands neatly tucked behind her ears.

  "Yoona, you're here." He stood up, not forgetting to bow politely. She was no longer his girlfriend; she was merely his sunbae-nim.

  "I'm sorry to keep you waiting." Her face was expressionless as she uttered those words. 

  "No, I was just early." He said, with a slight smile plastered on his face. "I've ordered hot chocolate for you."

  It had been so long since he heard her calm voice.  

  For a moment, she furrowed her brows noticeably as she remembered how he used to make her favourite beverage for her, but that was way back in those old times when they were still together. She hesitated and a frown remained on her face, as she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. 

  "Minho, I no longer like hot chocolate." She continued, wearing a solemn expression on her face. "Just a cup of dark coffee will do."

  "All right, I'll order for you." He blinked, before standing up to help her place an order. And she stopped him abruptly.

  "Minho, likings changed, circumstances changed, feelings changed, and even more so, people changed." She gazed deeply into his eyes; her words were sincere. "I've moved on. You should, too."  

  Minho who was deep in thoughts, pondered over her words for a moment before speaking up. "Yoona, you know these few weeks, I've thought about so many things that I thought I'd explode soon. I've to speak to you directly, and not simply over the phone. I just have to." He spoke in his deep, raspy voice, and she knew how much he had gone through as she realized how haggard he had become.

  "Minho, I-"

  "No, please listen to me. Once, and that's enough." He pleaded earnestly, with his unwavering, dark eyes that stared deeply into hers.

  "All right." She complied, gesturing him to take a seat and continued what he had wanted to say.

  "Back then, I really loved you when I first met you," he started, "You were like an angel sent to me, and I was truly blessed that you accepted me. But when I met Yuri, I thought she was definitely the one for me. I really thought as long as were happy, nothing else matters. But soon, I realized how wrong was I. I was so wrong, so wrong that-"

  He confessed, as he bit his lower lips. She noticed the tears that were b in his eyes, and she had felt sorry for him for he knew how difficult it must have been for him during those times when he was alone, alone without anyone with him. 

  "I made a mistake, an irreversible mistake. I was too selfish. I've hurt you, deeply. I was terribly wrong." He continued, as tears began to choke his words. "I just want to tell you that I'm deeply sorry."

  He stood up and bowed at her sincerely. He was most definitely not a man of tears, but the guilt that had been overwhelming him was finally released. Those tears that he had suppressed fell from his eyes, as he completed his last sentence.

  He cried.

  Yoona was fighting those tears as well, as she looked at him.  

  She smiled.

  That night, it was a closure for them, a brand new start for him, and her too.

 

 

  "I enjoyed a beautiful night with him," she twirled her hair playfully in front of him, "And I had my favourite dark coffee with him."

  "That's great?" He replied nonchalantly, enjoying the view in front of him.

  She frowned instantly. Shouldn't he have been more worried or concerned about her, she thought to herself. She was disappointed, just slightly, she  re-emphasized. On the other hand, Jaejoong was amused at her. One second, her eyes were twinkling excitedly and the next second, she was sulking and then, she was pouting again. He chuckled at her comical expressions. 

  "What?" She pursed her lips irritably. 

  "Stop pouting, you don't look good like that," he pinched her cheeks gently.

  "Hey," she rebutted him indignantly, "You don't look good either."

  "I don't?" He raised an eyebrow at her, amused at her words. "I, Young Woong Jaejoong, don't look good?"

  He made a comical expression on his perfectly-scruptured face, scrunching his nose together before stucking out his tongue. As expected, she burst out laughing (with her famous alligator-laugher) at his hilarious face.

  "You look best like this," she gave him a thumbs up while trying to catch her breath from laughing too hard.

  "How was it?" He asked. It caught her off-guard for she thought he didn't care at all.

  "W-what are you r-referring t-to?" She stammered.

  Jaejoong stifled a laugh before poking fun at her cleverly. "Weren't you hoping that I'd ask about it?"

  She blused crimson at his question before looking down at her sweaty palms nervously. "We talked and everything's settled. It's over between him and me. I forgave him."  

  He nodded his head. His soft gaze wandered to her, latching upon her.  

  "I'm relieved," she smiled lightly, "And happy."

  "Yoona," he called gently, pulling her closer.

  Thoughts flashed through her mind immediately. What is he going to say, she looked at him expectantly. Is he going to ask her out now, she thought to herself nervously.

  "Yes?" That was all she could say.

  He mustered up his courage before taking a deep breath.

  "Are you willing to be my girlfriend?"

  "W-what?" Yoona muttered, struggling to control her overwhelming feelings. A smile spread across her face. She had heard him clearly but she wanted him to say those three words to her.

  He interwined his hands with hers, chuckling softly at her choding-like response.

  "I love you, Yoona."

  "I love you too, Jaejoong."

  He reached out for her face, sweeping her long, chestnut-brown hair behind her ears. Gazing at her deeply, he whispered an are-you-ready before inching his face forward towards her. His soft lips were on hers and she can feel him smiling, making her smile as well. Despite the cold wind that brushed past them, they both felt warm. 

  No matter where that is, I'm ready. 

  

  Click

  It was the familiar clicking of the camera, and the shuffling steps of the reporter were heard, everything was happening so quickly and the next thing she heard were the angry profanities hurled by Jaejoong. 

 

A/N: Yes, I'm in the midst of examinations but I couldn't help but to come here and update this chapter. The next chapter would probably be after my examinations. I really appreciate how all of my readers are so patient with me because none of you actually rushes me to finish my fanfic. Anyway, I don't proof-read this story, so pardon my mistakes. And yes! Jaejoong and Yoona are finally together. Note that Minyul is actually a side (or minor) couple here so don't expect much about them. This story is mostly centered around Yoonjae. This chapter is a and I decided to leave it hanging in a 'cool' way. Don't kill me, please. I hope you enjoyed reading and would look forward to the next. The story is ending soon :)