In Getting Closer

Captured Silence

The unruly beams of the sun shone through the separation of the blindfolds, abruptly waking Byunghun from his sleep. Shuffling over to his opposite side, he came stood inches away from an ordinary woman in black: Sanghee. Yoon Sanghee. The sides of his lips curved upward, forming into a smile. He let out a soft, low breath and brought his hand forward, just about to move the strands of hair covering her closed eyelids.

But she woke up.

She smiled back at the man and shut her eyes closed, wanting to catch up on more sleep. But soon enough, reality struck at her.


What am I doing here? she thought to herself.


She hurriedly sat up on the double-bed's backboard, then lifting up the blanket sheet to check whether she was clothed, or instead, some Barbie doll. She sighed in relief, seeing as all her clothes properly placed onto her body. She still couldn't help but stress about the fact she was on some man's bed. A man she met less than 24 hours ago.

She quickly contemplated and thought over the decisions she made yesterday, yet everything was just a blur. She could only remember the memories before entering his home. Everything after that was just lost in the black pit of forever-lost memories, located at the back of her mind. After coming up with countless, not to mention extreme, situations, she turned her head to face Byunghun, a despicable look on her face. You could say she was ready to throw accusations, and he knew it. Just knew it.


"You. What the hell did you do to me? Drug me or something? me and put my clothes back on, pretending like I wouldn't know? Or did you- Did you- Umm--" Sanghee blabbered nonstop, giving random guesses about what ever happened. Some were just outrageous, leaving Byunghun to just ignore the rest and laugh.

"We were drinking wine, remember? You got knocked out with just one shot, and I took the courtesy of laying you somewhere comforting. The couch isn't really the best place to sleep when you're drunk." He continued to laugh.


She scrunched up her face, irritated by him always laughing, especially at the most inappropriate times. It was like he was mocking her for having a low alcohol-tolerance.
 

"Stop laughing! This isn't the right time to laugh!"

"I'm sorry ok? I just laugh really easily. Chill."

"Whatever then. Just don't laugh. Ok? God, this is all your fault. I should be at the studio already." she scolded him, growing in temper by the minute.

He  quickly brushed off her accusations, then responding, "Really, my fault? You seem more like the quiet type. I didn't expect for you to respond so eagerly last night. It's all your fault, and you know it."

"I-I just-- I-I..." she stuttered at first, but then stood silent. She slowly started to speak. "I just wanted to change for the day. These days, I'm just so tired of being bossed around all the time, never having the courage to stand up for myself, for always being weak. You could say that I wanted a change from my every-day lifestyle."


He didn't respond. He was too busy going over her reply. She was silent as well, thinking over what the hell she just said to the blond-haired man. The room was far from having even the least bit of noise. All that was possible of hearing was absolute silence, plus the occasional breathing of the two. In unison.


Byunghun finally spoke up, a smile plastered onto his face. "Well, why don't we start hanging out sometime? Get to know each other better. Only if you want to though."




-----------------------------------




"Again." Ms. Kim ordered once again, blatantly ignoring the condition of her student.


Sanghee was at the point of heaving, harsh breathes flowing in and out of her system. She was at the brink of collapsing, practicing in a much harsher setting than ever for every single day of the past month. But she couldn't blame Ms. Kim. She could never blame her on anything. The showcase she would be participating in was less than two weeks away, and she needed to prepare.

Having that thought in mind, Sanghee moved back to her starting position, only to find her knees giving up on her. She started to wobble. Harshly. Then she found herself down on her knees, making contact with the laminated wooden floors. Ms. Kim stared at her, discontent clearly expressed on her face. Sanghee looked down, head facing the ground. She clearly knew she failed in pleasing her instructor, and it hurt her just thinking about it. Tears started to form around the corner of her eyes, a sharp pang attached to her throbbing heart.


"I-I'm sorry. I just can't do it. I'm sorry. I'm really so-"

"That's enough Sanghee. I expect you in prompt and better condition tomorrow. No less. Class dismissed." she spoke in a solid monitone voice, grabbing her bag and exiting the studio.


Slowly and gently, Sanghee got up and sat down against one of the many mirrored walls. She bent her head down and curled into a ball. Tears started trickling down her face, and she found herself breaking down.



-----------------------------------




"I told you to just fire her already!" Kyung Ae scolded her friend, just about ready to scream and break something. "God damn. I love you Sanghee, I really do, but I'm seriously just about ready to smack you in the head and get rid of that stupidity of yours."


Sanghee was about to reply, but the sound of a ringtone stopped her from doing so.


"Hello?" she spoke, holding her phone up close to her ear. 

"Hey Babe. I missed you."


It was Byunghun.


It had been two weeks since they first met, and from that point on, the two were always out and about, never going a day without seeing each other. They hung out to the point of them being for too close to just be "friends." So he asked her to be his girlfriend, even though one would probably consider the two to be dating even before it was made official.


"We just saw each other yesterday, Idiot." Sanghee giggled. "If you miss me so badly, just come over here to work. You haven't even met Kyung Ae yet."


Sanghee noticed Byunghun's tone of voice changing, but ended up just thinking of it as a coincidence. "Oh. Yeah." he spoke. Sanghee heard the shuffling of noises through the other line, as if someone was walking down the street.


"Byunghun. Are you still there?"

He was panting. "I'm already here, Silly. Look out your window."


She waved to him excitedly, and motioned him to come inside. Kyung Ae was too busy taking orders and fulfilling them to notice what was going on. But by the time Byunghun did enter the shop, the door's bell rung to announce that someone was entering the building, and she finally did notice his presence. She was far from delighted. seeing the blond haired man standing by the door with a huge smile plastered onto his face. She muttered to herself, too quiet for Sanghee to comprehend.




"L. Joe."