Step By Me

Continuum

Character thoughts are italicized and now included in the color codes. Use this as reference: Kai, Tao, Amber/Kris, Krystal, Taemin :) Will be altering the previous chapters as well.


Kris hyung? Are you there?’ Kai asked.

Shh, Kai. Don’t call him hyung here, it’s a girl’s dorm! We aren’t even allowed here after six.

Seriously?! Tao hyung, don’t you know any Korean phrases other than what you already said earlier?, thought Kai, but did not actually say it because someone spoke from inside the room.

Come on in, it’s not locked.

Kris hyung, you were saying a while ago, about Tao.. hyung’s.. Mandarin..’ Kai trailed off once he saw Krystal inside the room. Why is this scene so familiar? Amber sitting opposite her on the other bed. They are sitting on the same spot as they did earlier this afternoon. His eyes widened in confusion. His mouth slightly opened.

Kris hyung, is that bag– Ow.Tao started.

Holy Legends! Why would Tao hyung bump into me twice? Kai thought.

Chwesonghamnida. Sorry, I think we entered the wrong room. Sorry, we didn’t mean to barge inside a girl’s room. It’s because I’m Chinese and he’s.. uhm, a little dumb. We’re going then.Tao kept on bowing.

I’m pretty sure that’s what he said earlier. Aish~ Tao hyung, I won’t forget you called me dumb! Eh? Even Krystal’s laugh is so familiar. Was it all a dream? Have I been dreaming about this? All this time? He was deep in thought when he felt a nudge on the stomach.

Ow! Tao hyung, why would you do that? Right. Krystal is now talking to me. A..Ahn.. Ahnnyeong hasehyo! Choneun Kim Jongin imnida.’ Kai made a 90 degree bow, but she chuckled at the sight of his awkwardness.

No need to be formal, we’ve met at the auditions, haven’t we?she returned Kai’s bow.

Ahh! That’s why you’re so familiar. Almond eyes, check. Egg-shaped face, check. Long jet-black hair, check. Sweet rose-like smell, check. She’s missing the sad smile, though, Kai.Tao teased, as Kai moved his hands up to cover his face, looked up, and turned around in embarrassment.

Why do I have to hear this twice? I nearly died of embarrassment the first time.

Kai? I heard him say Jongin? Amber?

Then, if this is a dream, Kris hyung will be showing his flight ability any minute now, Kai thought. Then he’ll say: ‘Oh you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Check this out.’

Oh, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Check this out. Amber said as she stood up from the bed.

Is this is my new ability? Kai thought, as he tried to recount what happened in his dream. There would be some sound of branches snapping. Right. I’ll be able to get that spy!

Amber’s feet started to depart from the ground, inch by inch floating higher. She was three feet from the floor when they heard some branches snapping from outside the window.

What was that?Tao said running towards the window.

That’s it! Krystal said Taemin’s roommate was spying on Amber! He thought as he darted out of the door, ahead of Tao and Amber.

 

Aish~! I don’t know where Taemin’s room is. How then will I find his roommate?’ he said aloud as Krystal’s image went back to his conscience. Holy Legends! She’ll be out of breath. He ran back to room 123. She looked so helpless in my dream. She was clutching her chest and seemed to fight for breath. He hit the top of his head with his left fist, repeatedly. How could I forget about her! He knocked on the door, but no one answered. If I ran out like that to find that spy, who then will hand her the pink bottle from the drawer? He held the door knob and turned it. It was locked. Is she still inside? He caught a glimpse of the clock across the hallway. Ten minutes to four. Ten minutes to four? Dance practice is at 4!

--

‘Lee Taemin.. Jung Krys.. start with your duet for Act I Scene 5.’ the familiar commanding voice ordered. ‘Everyone else, ball dance. Move!’

 

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..

Thank thy Holy Tree! Krystal made it to dance practice Kai thought at the sight of Krystal and Taemin already trying out their routine.

..8..7..6..5..

Good to know nothing happened to her.

..4..3..2..1..

Eh? Why do I care so much?

..1..2..

Maybe it did not actually happen..

..3..4..5..6..

because I ran off..

..7..8..

How will I know? Unless I ask her.

..8..7..

I ran off!

6..5..

I did not follow my dream..

..4..3..

My dream..

..2..1..1..2..

What else happened?

..3..4..5..6..

Focus Kai, but his eyes betrayed him. He saw Taemin.

7..8..8..7..

Taemin is wearing that smile again. He stopped dancing.

..6..5..

I wonder what they’re talking about. He turned to look at Krystal.

..4..3..

That cold stare..

..2..1..1..2..

could only mean she’s annoyed.

..3..4..

Oh no! Now I remember.

..5..6..

Taemin would trip and fall off the stage!

..7..8..

Krystal stopped dancing now.

..8..7..6..5..

Taemin also stopped.

..4..3..2..1..

Taemin! Don’t step backwards. You’ll fall!' He yelled across the theater. But it was too late. Taemin already took two steps backwards. BAM. He tripped over the speaker. And it fell. Off the stage. Only to hit the dance instructor standing below. Everyone else stopped rehearsing and crowded over him.

Kai, however, noticed Krystal as she was clutching her chest again. He went to her instead, Not again.. he thought as he handed her a cup of water.

I don’t know where your pink bottle is, though.’ Kai startled Krystal.

That’s.. stalking.. you know? she accused in between short breaths.

Stalking?’ he answered in disbelief.

How.. else.. would.. you know about.. the.. pink bottle?

‘Move! Don’t crowd over him.’ a familiar voice commanded. ‘He seems to have seriously injured his wrist and left foot, which means no dancing for weeks! Eotteohke? Ah! Jongin? Mr Kim Jongin? Raise your hand.’ Kai did. ‘Do the Duel choreography. Act III Scene1 with Romeo, Benvolio and Tybalt.

 

Aigoo~ I thought I was going to Romeo again. Kai thought, but was interrupted by Taemin.

Jongin! You saved me. Taemin gave him a hug. ‘Where were you all afternoon? I was looking for you everywhere.

Now where did I tell you I was in that dream of mine? Kai tried to remember. ‘I was with Tao hyung. Again. Because I was hooking him up with Kri- Amber.

Ah! I thought you were after Krys’s. I just got her number, anyway. I thought I was being your best friend— he was cut off.

Eh? I told you I wasn’t after her number.

Suit yourself. he shrugged.

What were you and Krystal talking about, anyway?

I asked if she knew the Taiwanese sunbaenim.

Amber.

Right, you know her too. Well, it’s because my roommate fancies her. And has been stalking her.

Who’s your roommate again?

Omo, you haven’t met him? Listen to me first, ‘kay? He was out stalking her again, but he came back to our room with a really weird face. I thought he saw her . But then he started searching online about flying and levitation. He went crazy. Haha.

Kai bit his lower lip and tried to change the conversation. ‘Remember to introduce me to your roommate, later.

Sure. Anyway, when I told Krys about that, she got mad at me! She looked at me like I’m some ert!

At the sound of Krystal’s name, Kai instantly looked at her direction. She was just feet away, doing a choreography on her own.

 

Beautiful Stranger..

She's dancing again, Kai thought as he stopped whatever he was doing.

..Keudaran du nune ppajyeo..

Her eyes now full of passion..

..Ontong shinbiroun gamjeong..

Though it’s just a rehearsal..

..Keu eoneo nan mameul yeo-reo..

Hey, that’s not the song from my dream..

..Beautiful stranger..

Nor the dance..

..Saramdeu-reun marhae You’re Dangerous..

Aish~ Not this feeling again!

..Nae-ga paraboneun neoreul keudeu-reun..

As if Chen hyung sends Lightning through my body!

..Jeonhyeo boryeo haji anha, no..

And my stomach feels funny.. But he didn’t stop watching her. He couldn’t.

The stories in the deep silences
You came from a different image, a different world
When you look at me as you extend your long hands
Take me to the place where you are


Ow! My arm.’ Taemin cried from behind Kai. His right arm was bleeding.

‘Aigoo~ First, the dance instructor. Now, Romeo! Eotteohke? Jongin? Mr Kim Jongin? Raise your hand.’ Kai did. ‘You take the lead. Ms Jung, kindly teach him as we take Mr Lee to the clinic.’

Seonsaengnim??’ were the only words that escaped Kai’s mouth.

Let’s not waste any more time.Krystal said as she walked towards the radio and pressed play.

 


A/N: Apologies to the late update. Feel free to comment or post on my wall if you're confused with anything, because the next chapters are bound to be a little more tricky.