Surprise Party

Continuum

Character thoughts are italicized and now included in the color codes. Use this as reference: Kai, Tao, Taemin


He woke up to the sound of an angry ahjumma. Her back was turned, so he didn’t reply. He couldn’t answer even if he tried. He didn’t understand what she was saying, anyway. He didn’t even catch a word. He sat up. He saw her talking to someone on the other bed. He turned to look around and thought, I’m in a hospital… but smaller.. must have been the clinic.. What is a clinic? But then he heard her say ‘zitao’, something that he understood.

 

‘Tao?’ he asked the other person when the ahjumma left.

‘Uhm, Yes?’ the person answered hesitantly.

Are you the son of the bow case? Or of the sword sheath?’ he continued.

‘I am both. I am Tao, son of bow case and sword sheath.’ the person answered. ‘Who are you?’

‘I am keeper of keys, Kai.’ he introduced.

‘Is it really you, Kai? How is it possible? It was said that the Twelve Forces will be dispersed, right? How come we’re together in this place?’

‘Then I guess Universe isn’t as vast as we thought it was.’

Or did you bend Space to find your Hyung?

‘Believe me, Tao hyung. I didn’t even have to look. You were already by my side.’

Then we can actually find our Hyungs, just bend it once more.’

 

So Kai stood up and took a few strides, but nothing happened. He walked a few more, backwards. Still, nothing happened. He snapped his fingers. Nothing.

 

Kai, you’re not wearing your ring.Tao suggested.

Kai put the ring on his index finger and snapped. But nothing happened, still.

I think something has weakened our abilities. Neither can I bend Time. Tao speculated.

‘It must be the instability of Universe.’

Where in Universe are we anyway?’

‘Earth. Korea. South.’

You know your geography. What did I say? Geography?’

‘The language you and the ahjumma used was alien to me, though.’

That’s Mandarin. Hey, we’re in the same place, but only I can understand her? What does that make me, bi-lingual?

 

Are you really okay, Krys?

Their conversation was cut off by a high-pitched female voice. It came from the other room. They exchanged looks in disbelief. They rushed out of the door. When they did get to that other room, it was already empty.

‘Do you think that’s really Kris hyung?’ Kai started.

It’d better be. ‘Cause I already miss him.’

 

On their way out of the clinic, they saw the logbook.

 

Date

Patient Name

06/06

정크리스

 

김종인

 

黄子韬

 

Kai asked the school nurse, ‘Excuse me, are all these the names of those who came in today?’

‘Well, that’s just Jung Krys, Kim Jongin, that’s you, and Hwang Zi Tao, that’s him.’ She smiled warmly.‘It’s the second page, though. There has been a serious case of food poisoning in school today. If both of you are feeling alright, you can go home now.’

 

‘Well, do you know where you live?’ Kai asked Tao.

The ahjumma earlier said she’ll be waiting for me. I think she’s my guardian. Mom.

 

Jong In! Jong In!They were cut off of their conversation, yet again. A yoja-faced boy with an eye smile and brown hair, is now walking towards them. Jongin, how are you feeling? If you’re okay, we’d still make it to the audition.

‘Me? Jongin? audition?’ Kai asked the boy, confused.

Why are you with the foreign student? he asked, almost in a whisper to Kai.

‘Uhm, well.. He is my clinic buddy for the day.’ he whispered back.

Omo, he got food poisoned too. How are you feeling? I’m Taemin.’ the boy turned to Tao with a sweet smile.

'Ahnnyeong hasehyo! Choneun Hwang Zi Tao imnida. Tao replied while making a bow. ‘I’m actually better.. better.he stuttered at the last word.

 'There’s no need to talk formally. We’re of the same year, anyway. And your Hangeuko is pretty good too.’ Taemin complimented.

Well, I learned from watching Korean dramas. Tao answered. I did?, he thought to himself. Anyway, I need to go. My mom is waiting. See you later, Kai.With that, Tao left.

You tight with China guy, now? Him saying bye to you. In English. Taemin asked Kai.

‘He said Kai. That’s what he calls me.’

Well, you’re still Jongin to me. My one and only friend who’s going with me to the audition.Taemin said putting an arm over Kai’s shoulder as they started walking towards the theater.

‘Yeah, okay..’ This guy is smiling again. Kai thought. He has that kind of smile.. Like Luhan hyung.. A kind that could get ones’ self out of trouble just by smiling.

Say Taemin, do you know any Kris around here?’

Jung? ‘Course I do.’

‘Really? Then can we meet up first?’

No need, we’re almost here. And Krys surely will be at this audition.

‘Can you introduce me to him, then?’

You mean, HER.Taemin said nodding his head towards a girl with jet-black long hair worn in a high ponytail.

‘Kris is a girl?!’ were the only words Kai could utter.