Of Falling in Love (Sequel to Scared)

ONESHOT Compilations

To everyone who was just a second choice, left behind and misunderstood.

 


As Seohyun walked out of her own bakeshop, it was as if her heart could not beat properly. It was slowly breaking, slowly being shattered into pieces. And she had no means of stopping the pain that kept on coming. If only someone could hear how her heart was breaking into pieces, if only that person could care enough to fix her again. Not just her heart, but her whole life.

It was not just Luhan. The name Oh Sehun was also banging inside her head. He was not a stranger. He was someone from the past. She could not bear the thought that the person in her heart wanted to be forgotten, and suddenly someone she had already forgotten about in the past came back to her present. How can love be like this? Is life playing her? Her life was not just a playground, it was a battle field.

But she doesn’t know how to fight anymore.

She walked along the street not too far from her bakeshop. She was stared as she made every step possible. It was too hard for her to lift her foot and move forward.       Her world was crashing down.

She finally fought the urge to walk further more and halted. She stood there, letting the world pass by her. How she wished that if she stopped walking, so would the world around her. But it wasn’t that way. It never was. It’s never going to be.

She sniffed as tears began to form again in her eyes. Her nose burned red, her eyes glistened with tears. As she was about to wipe the first tear to flow down her cheek, someone already did. She slowly looked up and saw the towering man before her.

She didn’t know what to feel. Grudge, pity, relief. They were everywhere inside her. She could just look at him. With tears in her eyes that freed themselves.

They stood there, in the middle of the street that’s slowly being emptied. The only light that Seohyun could see in her life—in that moment, was literally just the light post nearby. He was no one in her life. He was non-existent. She did not know him. She tried to forget him. She moved on. And she did.

“Are you always like this?” Seohyun slowly removed the hand of the person who was wiping her tears. He was taken aback. But he knew he deserved this. She has the right to be like this towards him, so he just let her speak. “How long will you follow me around? All this time, it was you?” Seohyun had a hard time talking. She just wanted to scream, shout, and throw punches on Sehun.

“Our lives already went on, without knowing each other, without ever looking back.” Sehun looked at her, and the pain he was seeing through Seohyun’s eyes pierced his heart even more. “You were happy, right? With Luhan-hyung, you were always happy. I had no choice but to let go.”

“Let go?” Seohyun repeated. “If that night, that prom night, you actually went and met me, if only you did not leave me hanging, everything could have change—“

“Seohyun-shi,” Sehun held her arms. Tears already formed in his eyes too. “Please, stop this. Please.” He looked down, hiding his emotions.There was a few seconds of silence, and Seohyun slowly removed Sehun’s hands on her. “I don’t want to hurt you, it was never my intention. I thought keeping the truth, and who I really am, will make things better.”

“With what’s happening right now, did it ever occur to you that’s it’s your fault?” Seohyun swallowed the lump in that kept her from releasing her mixed feelings, mixed emotions, but everything’s giving her painful thoughts. “Oh Sehun-shi,” Seohyun said with firm voice, and wiped her tears away. “You’re the reason why my life’s like this.”

“W-why? I know I did wrong. I know was wrong, and believe me, I can never forgive myself as well. If I entered your life, just like how I did, and tell you everything, will it change anything?” Sehun sighed heavily to keep his tears from falling. Seohyun was already blurry in his sight. “Will you come to me? Seohyun-shi, you love Luhan-hyung. And I’ve accepted that. And that included accepting my defeat against my brother, that included forgetting you.”

Seohyun just looked at Sehun, finally, his first tear dropped and he just quickly wiped it away. He looked down, to hide more of the tears that were coming. Her mind was clouded by the thoughts of what could have been.

“Sehun-shi, I waited.” She said in a very soft voice. While remembering it, she already cried. She looked away from Sehun, tired of seeing pain. Tired of looking someone breaking down. Tired of blaming everyone else around her.

That prom night, even after Luhan already danced with her, even after that love of her life, her only dream, already came true and acknowledged her. She stayed. She stayed on the dance floor. Standing, like an abandoned princess wearing her beautiful dress. Under the light that were slowly, each of them, turned off. The darkness surrounded her, covered her. Slowly, she walked towards the door, looking back at the darkness of the place, where even at the last minute, she waited for Oh Sehun to arrive.

“I was more than willing to see you, even in that dark room. To hear your voice in that silence. To dance with you, even without music.” Seohyun said, as she told Sehun how she waited that prom night. “I used to know you, as a friend, and at times, as someone more than that despite the fact that my ideal man was Luhan.”

“Y-you mean…” Sehun could only stutter.

“Yes, I waited for you during the prom.” Seohyun felt embarrassed for confessing the truth.

“And if I came, you could have changed your mind?” Sehun asked.

“And my heart.” Seohyun said, Sehun could not utter any more words. Seohyun wiped the dried tears. She reminisced. “That night basically ended everything of what could have been…” Sehun’s heart was regretful as she continued. “I wanted to give another chance for myself to decide. But Luhan already started courting me, the start of something that ended other things—you stopped contacting me. I admitted to myself my days were incomplete without a single message from you, without knowing you still exist. A message from you, those times, meant so much to me.” She smiled a bit, but it slowly faded as she added, “You drifted away from me. I had to accept that. I was asking myself, ‘how can I be so foolish to expect someone who I’ve never met before, value me, as much as I value him in my life?’ I waited for your message, every single day, Sehun.”

“Y-you did?”

Still, without looking at Sehun, Seohyun continued, “But I had to give up—“

“Why?” Sehun cut her off. “Why did you give up?” Seohyun’s eyebrows cringed.

“You gave me up first, didn’t you? How can I fight a single fight?”

There was another breath-taking silence—Sehun and Seohyun were just looking at each other, as if reading minds, as if throwing a thousand questions, but not knowing what to say and ask first.

“Why did you not come that night? Hm? Why?” Seohyun’s eyes moistened once again. Afraid to hear the answer, but willing to have her heart face the truth.

“I like you,” Sehun slowly looked at Seohyun. “I really, really like you, Seohyun-shi.” Seohyun saw nothing but sincerity in Sehun’s eyes, but his words were nothing but emptiness. But her heart accepted that confession.

“Sehun-shi—“

“I just wanted to say that, because I deprived myself of letting it out for so many years already…” Sehun looked up, sighed, then looked again at Seohyun. “I cannot possibly answer your question, because I came that night.” Seohyun was more than surprised. “But I left.”

“W-what?”

“That night, that you said when I could have changed everything, including your heart…” Sehun kept on pausing in between subtly unimportant phrases before he can finally tell it directly, “You looked beautiful and perfect. I came, even before you did. I watched you walked in that room,” then he looked down. “I watched you run away from that room.”

Slowly, Seohyun was starting to understand.

“I ran after you, looked around trying to find you. Then when I saw you, you already found what you’ve been looking for—the man of your life. If—if only I approached you right away, then will everything be different? Would you be happier with me? I could have fought—I know he’s my brother, but I know I could have fought for you.”

“Then why didn’t you?”

Sehun looked again at Seohyun, “I didn’t know you’d be waiting until the end of the night. I could have stayed, but I didn’t want to get my heart broken when it already was. I wasn’t scared, I swear to God I wanted to be there, just let you know who I am.”

“Then why???” Seohyun was desperate for answers.

“Because that night, I received a call from the hospital—Seohyun, my mom died that night. She passed away, and I wasn’t even there beside her. Her last breath was drawn alone.” Sehun’s finally cried. In front of Seohyun. When it’s his mom, he just couldn’t pretend to be strong anymore. “I should have been beside her when he was fighting for her life, I should have been there. I should have been…” He sobbed, and cried harder. Seohyun had no choice, but to see that fragile man in front of her, breaking, and dying inside... She stepped towards Sehun and slowly, patted his back. Remembering that night was painful for Sehun.

“I—I’m sorry… I’m sorry.” Seohyun repeated.

“From that day on, my life was meaningless. When Mom left me, a part of me died. I was trying to fight for the girl I have liked so much, that I left my mom’s side. I regretted everything, Seohyun. Including liking you.” Seohyun’s teared up.

How can such words pinch her heart? Suddenly, she stopped rubbing Sehun’s back. She removed her hands, and awkwardly put them down to her side.

She looked away, looked around, tried to find something to see. The street was empty, nothing but empty cars were around. The wind that kept blowing her hair felt even more alive than the wide and empty street.

“Sehun-shi…” Seohyun said, Sehun slowly, and courageously, looked at Seohyun. “Why did you come back? You already walked out of my life, you already regretted enough.”

Sehun didn’t know how to explain everything to Seohyun, including his complicated relationship with Luhan, his stepbrother. He didn’t know where to start telling Seohyun what she needed to know. She needed to know many things, but which of those were already told by Luhan? Will she be able to hear and understand his side of the story? How can he explain all of them to her when they didn’t know each other? for a long time now…

But the bottomline of it all, was because he still loves her. The way he always did.

He finally stepped forward to man up, pulled her towards him, held her delicate body like a precious pearl, and kissed her on the lips. That moment was eternal.

Seohyun was surprised by the action, but slowly, her eyes closed and understood the answers to everything that she was asking. Maybe actions really do speak louder than words. If only they already took action a long time ago…

 

The sun was shining brightly, the leaves of the trees were swaying to the soft rhythm of the wind. Seohyun, after a long while, smiled to herself, as she glanced at the window. Some days are so bright, as if there were no dark days that existed. That’s how life is. Happiness, no matter how short, can make you forget everything in the past.

Tonight, there is place where she has to go to. Decide for the rest of her life to be contented, and happy. Be with someone who she really loves. Even from the start. After everything was clear enough. Even if the decision is wrong, there has to be a way to make it right. And she’s taking this chance. She’s never going to let go. Not anymore.

 

She dressed up for work, fixed her bag, and everything around her was pastel-looking. So light yet so colourful at the same time. She dropped by the bakeshop, checked some orders, but she excused herself for a half-day. Krystal and Amber were more surprised and happy to see Seohyun finally coming back to her old self. She looked so bright today.

Wearing white-boyfriend shirt and a pair of jeans, Seohyun walked with a basket of flowers in her hands. She smiled to herself. She stopped by the familiar grave, bent down on her knees, and carefully placed the flowers in front of her baby’s tomb. She just stared at it, brushed some grasses away, and wiped it clean. She did not cry. She did not feel sorry. She did not feel guilty. She was perfectly fine today. She just knew, their baby is doing well in heaven. Life could have been hard on him if he was alive. Right now, she just finally got the assurance, that he’s well. That baby’s well.

“Are you ready for a brother? Or do you want a sister instead?” She asked as if the baby can hear her. She smiled, slowly stood up and dusted off her pants. She smiled once more and walked out of the cemetery.

 

The sun slowly disappeared, and bit by bit, the moon finally showed up. Seohyun was staring outside her window once again. Her phone beeped. And as soon as she read it, she took her bag and left her room.

 

There, at the nearest bus station, there stood the man that she knew for a very long time. When he saw her, his lips crooked a sweet smile—one of the sweetest smiles that Seohyun has ever seen. A few feet away from him, she stopped. She just looked at him, adored every feature of him, while he was looking back at her.

“You packed lightly.” He said. Seohyun smiled and finally took a step forward.

She softly smiled at him, “I just want you to know I’m really happy to meet you.” She composed herself, as Sehun’s smile faded. She took another step and bridged the gap between the two of them. She took his hand, and held them. “Life has always been hard on me,” Seohyun continued. “Did you know why your brother left me, instead of staying by my side?”

Sehun just listened.

“He told me to make my dreams come true. He left me so I can be a successful baker. I was offered a job on the other side of the country, it was a precious offer… but I did not take it. Dreams are not dreams at all, if they’re not with the person you love.” Seohyun looked at Sehun and caressed his cheek. “What your brother didn’t know was one of my greatest dreams in life is to meet you, and I finally did.”

“T-the bus is coming soon, you can tell me these things when we’re on our way—“

“I’m not coming with you, Sehun.” Seohyun finally said. But she was smiling. It was a sweet smile, and Sehun didn’t know how to react. Her smile was so true, so genuine. It meant something more than not coming with him. “Not because I don’t want to, of course who wouldn’t want to travel with you? With a man like you, who had always watched me from the sidelines, who really knew me.”

“Then why? What are you saying?”

“But if travelling with you means I’m running away from what my life used to be, then I can’t go with you.” Seohyun said.

“But you told me last night, when I asked you to be here, you said you’d come.” Sehun’s eyes moistened. He could not understand Seohyun.

“I am here, I came, didn’t I?” Seohyun said and wiped the first tear that escaped from Sehun’s eyes. He could not take it, but he could not bear seeing Seohyun hurt. Not anymore. This is a decision that should make her happy.  “Sehun, when you take the bus, think of your dreams. And remember, I played a part in making your dreams come true.”

“I—I don’t understand.” Sehun’s tears kept on falling.

“Have a safe trip to Seoul, Sehun—“

“I don’t understand!” Sehun shouted at her. She almost took a step back, but she refrained from doing it. She has to make Sehun understand.

“If I go with you, I wouldn’t be able to sign more divorce papers. If I come with you, I’m running away as Luhan’s wife.” Seohyun explained, “That’s not fair, isn’t it?”

Sehun nodded a bit.

“But if I stay, I wouldn’t just be able to sign those papers, I will be able to make things right. I can’t be with you, Sehun.” Seohyun’s smile faded. She knew, in her heart, Sehun meant more than just a chat mate. “You’re my brother-in-law, remember?”

Sehun couldn’t say anything. She was right. Seohyun was right. Sehun took something from his bag, and handed it to Seohyun. “I didn’t know this moment will come,” Seohyun accepted it. “When Mom died, I wrote Luhan-hyung a letter but I never got the chance to give it to him.”

Seohyun took it. “I’ll give this to him first thing tomorrow.”

Sehun nodded, “I told him everything there—about mom, about my dad, and his, about you, and about me.” Sehun looked away, shy of showing his tears to Seohyun.

Seohyun took his hand once more, “As your sister-in-law, I’m sustaining your dance trainings, soon, your dreams will come true.” Sehun stopped, trying to figure out if he was hearing her right. “Hey, you’re supposed to smile at me, and be respectful enough to say ‘thank you, noona’.” Seohyun tried to put a lighter mood.

“Y-you’re enrolling me?”

“Luhan used to tell me his brother loves dancing so much. I think, Oh Sehun, that’s your dream. And we’ll make it come true, okay?” Sehun, for once, smiled that night.

Seohyun looked behind, and saw a bus finally coming.

“Now, when you get on that bus, remember you’re just a few miles away from your dreams. Don’t stop, okay? I’m with you on this one. I am.” She smiled and looked at Sehun, “I cannot be your dream, Sehun, but I can play a part in your dreams.”

The bus finally stopped in front of them. Slowly, Seohyun squeezed his hand, and let go of it. He gave Seohyun one last look, and walked towards the door of the bus. For one last time, as Seohyun watched him leave, Sehun looked at her.

Seohyun smiled, more like forced herself to.

But what she saw was Sehun walking back towards her. She grew anxious as the bus slowly moved forward, and Sehun making his way towards her.

“I can take the next bus.” Sehun said as he pulled her into a kiss. He kissed her deeply and passionately. It was something that Seohyun cannot just resist, that moment was perfect. And she realized, her eyes did shed tears upon knowing she’s saying goodbye to the person she waited to meet for years. The moment, with Sehun’s arms around her body, she felt happy and contented. Then it was too soon that the next bus finally came. They broke the kiss, looked at each other one last time.

Sehun embraced her tightly, sniffled her hair and burry his face on her neck. Seohyun could have suffocated, but Sehun just wanted to remember her smell. And he knew, he won’t forget it, ever. Maybe she was right, his dreams won’t stop just because one of them did not come true. Seohyun will always be a part of him. They may not be meant to be together, for a while, like last night, they were.

He finally loosened up and ran towards the bus before its door closed. Without looking back.

Seohyun just watched the bus leave. And disappear from her sight.

 

 

Luhan woke up the next morning with the door bell ringing.

He slowly got up, lazily, washed his face and opened the door—only to be surprised to see the person standing before his door.

“Why are you here?” Luhan asked. “Seohyun, I saw you last night. With Sehun.” Seohyun almost run away, but this time, she won’t. Luhan doesn’t know what took Seohyun there. What it took for Seohyun to finally have the courage to come to his door, ring the door bell, and face him. But she was there.

“First, answer’s in this.” Seohyun handed Luhan a letter. She’s sure enough that Sehun wrote about them in his letter to Luhan. “It was a letter from Sehun. He said he wrote that letter years ago when your mother died. Secondly, this.” She handed him another letter, “A rejected file of divorce.”

“What… rejected—“

“I rejected it, myself.” Seohyun said.

“Going back, Sehun’s already in Seoul, I enrolled him in the university you mentioned before. I think he’s finally making his dreams come true—“

“Why are you doing this again?”

“Because he’s my brother-in-law. Oh Sehun is. And he’ll forever be.” Seohyun said. Luhan finally pulled her to an embrace. “It’s actually something that you should be doing for him…”

“I’ll pay you.” Then they shared a soft chuckle. “When you were gone, I kept dreaming about a small girl—“

“What should we name her, then?” Seohyun asked and made Luhan stop for a moment. “Do you want a girl, or a boy again?” then Luhan smiled widely. So did Seohyun.

 

 

 

This is the right decision. I used to be scared of falling in love.

But Luhan will always be the one I love. And I’m not scared of showing it anymore.

 

 

[A/N: I'm sorry for starting with the present (Scared), bring you back to the past (prequel) and then making you jump to the future (sequel). I personally liked this story ('trilogy' peg kkk). I need a short film for this. Kidding. =)]