Beside You

ONESHOT Compilations

 

[Listen to: Beside You - Marianas Trench]

“I give you five years.
Then come back to me on that day and tell me...
If she deserves to live
or if she deserves to be with you.”

 

Chanyeol looked at the calendar. Just a month to go, he’ll go back to heaven and be judged. The life and future of Seohyun depends on him. It’s been a good four years and eleven months that he spent with a human.

While standing before the calendar on the wall, hands resting inside his pockets... He started reminiscing...

 

Chanyeol fixed his botton-up shirt. He looked at his reflection on the mirror. “Seo Joo Hyun.” He mumbled.

Today is the first day when he would meet Seohyun. As a guardian sent from above, he flew down to earth to fetch souls. However, God gave him a mission that would last for five long years. It is to prepare the person for her death. He has to help her make the most of her last five years on earth.

“I-I’m sorry.” He bumped to a girl on his way to school. The girl did not look pissed. She looked rather worried. She was in a hurry because she’s running late to school. She stooped down to pick up her books and Chanyeol had the urge to help her. He was taken aback when he saw the nameplate of the girl. “I’m really running late, I’m sorry!” She quickly stood up and run towards the gates of the school.

Chanyeol stood there, astounded. ‘So that’s Seo Joo Hyun?’ He asked himself.

He tried his best adjusting to attending school. Instead of flying to places with the use of his angel wings, he walked. He caught himself watching how people from this school behave so he could easily adjust.

Later that day, as he was walking, rain suddenly poured down. He ran fast to the nearest waiting shed. That when he noticed another person was there, standing beside him. He glanced to his right and saw the familiar figure of a girl.

Same nameplate? Yes, it was her.

She dusted off her school uniform. She cutely cursed the rain. Chanyeol smiled a little but was held back when Seohyun looked at his direction.

“Oh, annyeong haseyo. Seo Joohyun-imnida.” Seohyun, as a child-like person, giddily held out her hand for a handshake. She bowed politely before Chanyeol. But Chanyeol was just looking at her, still surprised by everything about her. It was kind of awkward that he did not take her hand. But when she was about to put down her hand in disappointment, Chanyeol took it and smiled widely at her.

“Chanyeol-imnida.” His eyes sparkled and Seohyun just smiled back at him.


 

“Chanyeol? What are you staring at?” Seohyun poked Chanyeol’s side, bringing him out of his trance. “Calendar? Any important dates you have to remember?” She asked while standing beside Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked at her; the girl he met four years ago has now become a lady. “So you’re back? You did not even tell me? Sneaking inside my unit? Really, Seohyun? Is that how you become?” Chanyeol quickly avoided the topic of dates to remember.

Seohyun pouted. “How about I treat you for lunch?” Then she sheepishly smiled at Chanyeol. That smile that he could never resist. For four years that he spent knowing Seohyun, taking care of her, laughing with her, being a permanent company to her, wiping her tears dry at times when she broke down... they were very good friends. There’s just nothing that can go between them.

 

“The employees were really kind. In fact, they were very much creative!” Seohyun started telling her experiences from internship to Chanyeol as soon as they reached a good place to eat at. “I really hope I can get my pieces of scratches published.”

Chanyeol softened as he just listened to Seohyun. She aspired to be a writer and publish her own books. She always believed that sharing her knowledge even to a few people would help a lot. “You’ll get your writings published soon, don’t worry. And don’t call them scratches. They are your masterpieces!”

“You’re the only one who has seen my works. And I don’t think there’s any way for you to say it isn’t good.” Seohyun chomped down a piece of her food. “We’re best of friends. You know I’d kill you if you’ll say they’re not good.”

“Well, I’m still curious about another novel you were writing.” Chanyeol saw Seohyun almost choked. “Does it contain something for ‘adults’ only?”

“What? No, you erted Happy Virus!” Seohyun sipped on her glass of water. “How can you call that one rated, I am so hating you.”

“Stop it. I know you love me.” Chanyeol cheekily smiled at her and poked her cheek.

“Chanyeol~!!!” Seohyun slapped his hand away. “Just eat, okay? Stop saying nonsense things!” Chanyeol chuckled before following the latter’s command. Seohyun stopped for a few seconds to watch him. She had always admired him. Too bad he couldn’t see it.

And that novel that she was working on, the only one that she did not let Chanyeol see? That was a diary-type of novel telling their story from the first day that they met.

Seohyun was planning to give this to Chanyeol next month on his birthday. And maybe after four long years, she could finally let him know of her true feelings.

 

‘You were being yourself again. That happy virus that you are. That same guy that I have loved all this time.’ Seohyun was writing the last few pages of the novel when she felt a breath of air behind her.

“What are you writing?” She suddenly heard Chanyeol speak. Good thing her adrenaline was fast enough to cover the papers.

“What the hell, Chanyeol~!!!” She quickly stood up and faced him. “Don’t go barging in my room without my permission! Aish!” She stacked the books and papers on her table to avoid Chanyeol from seeing what she was writing.

“What are you hiding from me?” Chanyeol curiously asked. But Seohyun just started pushing him towards the door.

“Out, Mr. Park, out now!” Seohyun was about to close the door but Chanyeol stopped it. “What...” her voice trailed off when Chanyeol stood close to her and towered over her. Her heart started thumping. Hopefully, it was not loud enough for him to hear.

“Dinner later. Eight, sharp.” Chanyeol said before leaving.

She closed the door behind her and fanned her cheeks. ‘This should stop...’Pointing out to her feelings towards Chanyeol.

That dinner was just one of the normal dinners they are usually having. It’s just a ‘friendly’ date. Seohyun wanted to stop thinking of such things as a romantic one. She’ll just end up disappointed. Besides, being a friend to Chanyeol, she’s happy. That’s enough for her.

 

Monday came.

As soon as Seohyun and Chanyeol came to school, murmurs were heard. At first, Seohyun just ignored it. She was always bullied since high school. Now that they’re in the graduating class of college, it was never gone down.

“Just don’t mind them.” Chanyeol whispered to her. She just pressed on her lips and just nodded. “Let’s see what they are up to this time...” Chanyeol said as they walked up to the nearest bulletin board where papers were posted. He took one that read, “Best-friend Zoned?”

Seohyun snatched the paper away from him, “No... No, not that one.” She started mumbling. She glanced around and saw the group of queenkas, they waved a copy of filed papers. She just shook her head. Tears started forming in her eyes.  Chanyeol held her shoulders.

“What’s going on?” He asked as he noticed the tears in Seohyun’s eyes. She slowly looked up at him.

“I’m sorry. It’s not supposed to be this way, I’m sorry.” She continued sobbing then she ran away from Chanyeol. As fast she could, she ran towards the rooftop of the building. She continued crying there. She has no idea how the ‘novel’ that she was writing for Chanyeol came out.

But Chanyeol, being the extraordinary creature that he is... just knows where Seohyun was.

“Why did you run away from me?” Chanyeol stepped closer to where Seohyun was.

“Why did you follow me? Go away.” Seohyun wiped her tears.

“Here we go again with your vague answers.” Chanyeol sat beside her. “So what’s with that ruckus going on?”

“Now you dare asking me.” Seohyun looked at him, tears suddenly streamed down her face again. She looked away. “It makes me wonder if you’re really my best friend or what.”

Chanyeol chuckled.

“Seriously, Chanyeol? You’re just laughing at it?” Seohyun was partly hurt. Maybe because her best friend was so clueless of everything that’s going on. She fixed her bag on her shoulder and stood up to leave. “You’re hurting me, Yeol. It’s not helping.” She muttered before walking towards the stairs.

“Wait, so until now, you believed that we’re best friends?” Chanyeol stopped her by her wrist. He suddenly pulled her to him and hugged her tightly. “What kind of person would want to protect you all the time? To watch over you every single day. To fetch you in the morning to go to school. To walk you home safely. To support you in everything you do.” He wrapped his arms tightly around Seohyun. “You’d still call me a best friend after all this time?”

Seohyun’s tears soaked Chanyeol’s shirt. “That’s what I thought.”

“Can you think a little deeper?” Chanyeol cupped her cheeks and wiped her tears with his thumb. “You don’t have to write everything about us. I know that’s what you’ve been keeping away from me. But whether you write it or not, I’d still love you. It’s not a one-sided love that you thought of, Seohyun. It’s not.” Chanyeol closed his eyes. He just knew that this would be the end of him. He fell for Seohyun when in fact, he shouldn’t. He’s been trying to keep it but right now, seeing Seohyun cry this way, he can’t hide it anymore.

Heavens may forbid. But right now, he just wanted to let Seohyun know how he feels.

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up and I will hide you when it gets too much. I’ll be right beside you, Seohyun. I will always be beside you.” He continued mumbling. “If given a chance, I will stay. Trust in me, I can’t let anyone break you.”


 

Seohyun flinched on her sleep. The sun shone brightly from her windows. Her eyes slowly opened as she stretched her arms. A familiar figure was lying beside her. “PARK. CHANYEOL!” She quickly pulled up the blanket over her shoulders. “How many times have I told you not to go inside my room without my permission?”

“Uhm, if I’m not mistaken, that’s the one-hundred and forty-third time.” Chanyeol just tucked himself in. Eyes were still closed.

“Yah, get up and leave.” Seohyun poked his side. “Chanyeol...” She started whining. But Chanyeol just pulled her close to him.

“Just continue sleeping. I won’t do anything to you, okay?” Chanyeol said as he nuzzled her neck. “Let’s just peacefully sleep. No valid arguments.”

Seohyun turned around and faced him. Chanyeol just s one of his arms around her waist. Because she just woke up, she just studied his features. She raced his nose down to his lips. “Do you age?”

“I’m sleeping. No talking.” Chanyeol said, eyes were still closed.

Seohyun sighed. “But I’m not sleeping anymore.”

Chanyeol slowly opened his eyes. “I hate this feeling.” Seohyun just raised her eye brows. “When I see your face so close to mine.”

Seohyun sheepishly smiled and made a space between them but Chanyeol just held her close tightly. “I thought you hate it.”

“Well, you’re already there.” Chanyeol smirked and leaned in. “Good morning.” He pecked her lips which left Seohyun startled.

“You did not just—“

“Oh, I did.” Chanyeol leaned in again for another peck on her lips. “I just wanna stay like this forever.” He whispered.

“Chanyeol?”

“Hmm?”

“It’s your birthday today. What do you want to do?” Seohyun asked. Chanyeol’s heart almost skipped a beat. He almost forgot about the date today.

“I give you five years. Then come back to me on that day and tell me... If she deserves to live or if she deserves to be with you.”

 

It rang inside his head. But he didn’t want to ruin the mood so he just kissed Seohyun again. This time, the kiss went deeper until both of them were out of breath. “Let’s just sleep. Okay? It’s still going to be a long day.”

Soon enough, Seohyun dozed off again.

 

“She deserves to live.” Chanyeol stood before his Master. “I was with her for five long years, I saw her dreams in life. I saw her aspirations to be a successful writer. I now come before You, asking to let her live.”

“So you don’t want her to be with you here in heaven?”

Chanyeol looked down. He was torn between two painful choices. It’s either he let Seohyun live but he’ll be back as an angel of death, fetching souls from earth, and she’ll probably forget about his existence or he let her come with him, be an angel and die on earth. But Chanyeol saw all struggles that Seohyun had in five years that he was with her, she deserves to live.

“Soon, she’ll be in heaven too. But not this time, my God.”

 

Seohyun woke up and saw an empty space beside her. She glanced at her window, it was cloudy and heavy rain is threatening to pour down. She warily looked around her room. There were no traces of Chanyeol. She went to her table and took her pen. There was the original copy of the novel she wrote for Chanyeol.

She scanned through the pages and stopped on the last one.

She scribbled some words, ‘I still think God sent you as an angel to me. It’s either I die without you, or I go with you wherever you will be. I love you, Park Chanyeol.’ She smiled to herself as she closed the book.

She prepared to go out and happily hugged the book to her chest. She made her way towards Chanyeol’s apartment which was a few blocks away from her. He wasn’t answering her calls so she assumed that he’s probably taking a bath or so.

She knocked on his door. But there was no answer. She opened the door—the spare keys they gave to each other can be useful at times.

She made her way to the small living room. The unit felt too empty. That’s when she noticed a letter on the table. She took it and read it.

‘Today is the exact date when we met five years ago. Thank you for letting me love you, Seo Joohyun. And a heartfelt sorry for leaving. – Chanyeol’

She ran out of the building and to the streets. It was already raining hard but the book was still tucked on her chest. Seohyun cried so hard. Just this morning, Chanyeol was there and right now, he can’t be found anywhere.

 

“I respect your decision then. Thank you for completing a mission. Now go and fetch another soul.” God commanded Chanyeol. He bowed politely and flew down to earth once again.

It was raining hard. He stood there on the street across the high way where vehicles ran fast. Chanyeol was still thinking of Seohyun, he was just waiting for someone to die here on the spot and fetch that soul.

He still felt guilty. He was thinking over things when suddenly, loud honks of cars were heard. He got out of his trance and looked ahead of him. A girl lay dead on the street. Blood dripped everywhere. He did not mind it though. He looked around and people cannot see him because he’s an angel of death as of the moment.

He was about to step closer to the accident scene when someone tapped his back, “I’m here. Come on, let’s go.” He stopped on his tracks.

Somebody just tapped his shoulder. Somebody just talked to him. Somebody that had a very familiar voice.

He turned his head to look at the person; it was Seohyun who was smiling widely at him. “Park Chanyeol, who said you can leave me? Why didn’t you tell me you’re really an angel?”

Chanyeol couldn’t find his voice to utter a word. The body of Seohyun was brought to the hospital and a book fell to the ground. Chanyeol slowly picked it up, Seohyun’s soul was still standing before him.

He flipped to the last page, ‘I still think God sent you as an angel to me. It’s either I die without you, or I go with you wherever you will be. I love you, Park Chanyeol.’

He looked again at Seohyun, she was still smiling at him.