After School.

Flawless

 

It was Friday evening, and Hae Jung was ready to go home. She had seen Kai walk passed her classroom and wanted to catch up to him. She shoved everything into her bag and shuffled out of the classroom, muttering a goodbye to Ki Young who was sitting next to her. Why is she in such a rush? Ki Young wondered. She shrugged and watched her friend zoom out of the classroom.

“Kai!” Hae Jung yelled once she was out of her classroom. Her voice echoed throughout the halls. Some people lingering around turned their heads to which Hae Jung rolled her eyes. Are your names Kai? No! Then, don’t turn around! She was starting to feel a bit embarrassed, but she felt alright only if Kai had heard her.

Kai turned around, barely hearing the sound of his name. He stopped walking and turned around to see Hae Jung down the hallway, running to him. He grinned.

“Hey, Hae Jung, you’re out pretty early,” he greeted when she finally caught up to him.

She was a little bit breathless. Running was definitely not her thing. “H-huh? Oh, yeah,” she muttered, still trying to catch her breath. “You’re out early, too, then.” There was a faint smile on her face. She’s so adorable. Kai smiled, letting the warm emotions flood his entire body. He blinked slowly and tried to understand it all. He was beginning to grow use to it. Hae Jung was the one who aroused these feelings in him, but he was still clueless.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “Yeah, I am. I didn’t have anything else to do here.”

“Y-yep, me, too,” Hae Jung stuttered. She sniffled as the wind blew. Kai let out a soft chuckle. It’s not even cold out. Hae Jung pinched the bridge her nose. She took her glasses off and started to clean them. Kai gawked at Hae Jung. He bit his lip, hiding his smile.

“Do you want to go somewhere with me?”

Hae Jung looked up at him, but her glasses were still off. “Hmm?” Hae Jung didn’t quite catch Kai's question.

Kai repeated, “Do you want to go somewhere with me?”

“W-what?” Hae Jung had almost dropped her glasses, but luckily, she caught them. She put them back on and looked at Kai, her eyes peering from behind the lenses.

Kai clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Hae Jung-ah, listen!” he demanded, flicking her forehead. She stepped back in surprise and let out a laugh that sounded more like a huff. formed into a pout as Kai laughed at her. “Do you want to go somewhere with me?” he asked once again, much slower for her to hear.

Upon finally understanding him, Hae Jung bit her lip. “Um,” she pressed her lips together. “Sure…uh, well, it depends where.”

“We’ll grab something to eat first,” he decided.

Still gnawing on her bottom lip, Hae Jung replied, “S-sure.”

*****

“Hey, Kai, where are we going?”

“Just follow me, Hae Jung.”

“How do I know you’re not taking me to, like, a graveyard or an abandoned warehouse to kill me or something?”

Kai turned around and he gasped. “How’d you know, Hae Jung?” he challenged, stopping his feet from moving any further. The two were walking down a somewhat busy street lined with small stores. Hae Jung wasn’t familiar with this area, but Kai was.

“W-what?”

“I’m just kidding, Hae Jung. Why would I want to kill a cute girl like you?”

Hae Jung’s eyes widened, and she blinked slowly. Kai's blunt words took her by surprise. She stumbled a bit over her own feet, but to her luck, Kai didn’t see. “Um, I-I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Yeah, you should,” Kai beamed.

Hae Jung bit her lip, another habit of hers next to rolling her eyes. “So, are you going to tell me where we’re going?” Hae Jung held her drink and brought it up to take a sip.

“Can I have a sip of that?”

Hae Jung’s eyebrows raised as Kai turned to her. He was holding onto his own drink, but was insisting on having some of hers. “Why, Kai? You have your own!” she hollered, gesturing to the drink in his hand.

There was a smirk on Kai’s face that made Hae Jung suspicious. “What?” he breathed. “I just want to try your drink!”

“Why? Do you like honey?” she interrogated, slowly pulling her hand away from him.

Kai’s eyes looked down from her eyes to the drink she was holding. They had gotten bubble tea after going for a light snack, Kai’s honeydew and Hae Jung’s honey. “Just let me have a sip!” Kai commanded, reaching for her bubble tea.

“Wait! Wait! Wait!”

“What?” Kai was still reaching for her drink, but Hae Jung was leaning back, and her hand holding the drink was behind her. Kai was hovering over her, so he took a step back. He didn’t realize how caught up he had gotten with getting Hae Jung’s bubble tea, but even to that moment, he didn’t stop reaching for it.

“Tell me where we’re going first.”

Kai stepped back once again, bringing his arms to his sides. He nibbled on his lip. He didn’t break eye contact with Hae Jung the whole time and he wasn’t about to. “Well,” he began, “Do you like to dance?”

*****

“What the heck, Kai? I told you, “No!" I don’t like dancing!” Hae Jung protested. Kai had ended up finishing her bubble tea once she gave it to him, and she was feeling a bit upset. But now, Kai was pulling her along to a dance studio. “No! No! No! Let go! I don’t like dancing!”

“Why?” he laughed, scrunching his nose up. “Dancing’s fun!”

“Okay, sure! Dancing’s alright, but I can’t dance in front of people!” Hae Jung tried to stop walking, but Kai put his arm around her shoulders and dragged her along that way. Hae Jung took a sharp breath in. She was taken aback by his actions. It was a little sudden and it wasn’t often that a guy, a handsome guy at that, made contact with her like that. Kai was a bit uncomfortable with it at first, not understanding why he did it, but after, he realized it was nice. Yeah, it’s nice.

“Would you relax? I’m just joking! You’re not dancing,” Kai explained to her, squeezing her in his arm. He felt her tense at that, and he immediately loosened his grip around her.

Hae Jung sighed in relief. “Okay, well, if I’m not dancing, will you?”

Kai turned his head to her. Hae Jung felt his eyes on her. She turned her head to him and met his eyes. He smiled instantly. “How’d you know?”

Hae Jung shared a soft smile. “I’m just smart like that,” she playfully answered. Kai scoffed and looked away from her. “Hey! You know I’m smart, right? Don’t deny it!” She tried to get a word or two out of Kai, but she only got more scoffs and snorts. “Hey! You’re so mean!” she growled, hitting Kai in the chest, and at the same time, she tried to shrug his arm off. She stopped trying though, realizing that it wasn’t making her feel nervous or tense anymore. It’s…kind of comfortable.

As Kai continued to lead them to the dance studio, the pair would steal glances at each other. Kai would look at her when her hair would start to fly into his face. Hae Jung’s eyes would linger on him every time his arm would either tighten, or if it felt like his arm would slip off. Friends do these kinds of things, right? Kai and Hae Jung thought. Hae Jung smiled, but Kai frowned slightly.

His expressions brightened, however, when they finally reached the building with his dance studio.

“Is this it?” Hae Jung asked. The two stood right in front of a short building, not caring about the people who had to walk by. At last, Kai had let go of Hae Jung, and the two stood beside each other, their eyes laid on the building in front of them.

“Yeah. If you look up,” Kai said, peering at Hae Jung to make sure she was looking at the building, “Uh, well, you see the glass window?” Hae Jung nodded. “You can’t see it from this close, but that’s my dance studio. Well, my dance crew’s.”

“Dance crew? When did you join a dance crew?” Hae Jung wondered out loud. I didn’t even know he was a dancer. I should’ve guessed. Kai with this handsome face must be perfect and be able to do everything!

“Two weeks ago. Actually, it was a friend of mine from school who asked me. There are two other guys in the dance crew who are also from our school.”

Hae Jung’s mouth opened. “Really? That’s cool. See, Kai? You can make friends!” Hae Jung joked, making Kai roll his eyes.

“Nah,” Kai said, “One of the guys…he’s just, so…ugh, I don’t know how to explain it. He’s so quiet and he barely talks. And the other guy is really nice though. Really smiley.”

Hae Jung squinted. She was trying to look into the glass window, but wasn’t very successful. “Are they good dancers though?”

Kai nodded his head.

“Are they here?”

“They should be.”

“Do you come here every day since you started?”

Kai shook his head. “I’ve probably been here six or seven times.” Kai blinked. His eyes would flicker back and forth from the window to Hae Jung. “We have a leader, who’s the son of the owner of the building,” Kai began to explain. “We only practice in there when he feels like it because, you know, the studio’s only his responsibility and he’s the only one with authority over it. But if I could come here every day, I would.” Kai was smiling, but it was a different kind of smile than what Hae Jung was used to. It was the kind that would appear if you were thinking about a sweet memory or something you love.

Hae Jung noticed the different smile he wore. It was refreshing for her to see a grin like that on his face. She was seeing a new side to him. Is that how I looked when I told him I wanted to be a travel journalist? She took another look at him. He was staring up at the building until he turned his head and flashed a smile to her. I must’ve looked pretty silly then.

“Let’s go inside,” Kai spoke. He began to walk to the front door with his hands in his pants' pockets. The main floor consisted of offices.

“Wait!” Hae Jung called after him. “You want me to come, too?”

“Of course,” Kai grinned at her. “Why else would I have brought you?”

“Um, to meet cute guys?” Hae Jung suggested with a serious tone and expression. Kai flashed her a look of confusion mixed with envy and amusement with wide eyes. Suddenly, Hae Jung burst out in laughter. “Just kidding, Kai. But I can’t just come in and, like, watch!”

“Yes, you can! You’re not bothering us or anything, I promise!”

“Promise?”

“I promise,” Kai chuckled. “Didn’t I say that already?”

Hae Jung's eyelids fluttered. She gazed at the dark-haired male, casually waiting for her to catch up. Promises are kept between friends, right? She had on a poker face, and then it changed to a warm, lively expression as she walked to Kai.

The duo made their way into the building. They walked passed all of the offices, getting a couple of looks from the workers, but they were used to it. “Just follow me,” Kai instructed, but what else would Hae Jung do? They eventually made it to the staircase and walked up to the second floor.

“Are they nice?” Hae Jung interrogated from behind Kai. Kai was ahead of her by a couple steps.

Kai shrugged. “I guess so?”

Hae Jung started to become nervous and her palms grew clammy. More guys to be around? Oh, no. Kai didn’t notice her nervousness, but he couldn’t see her face. Kai opened the door to the second floor. It lead to only one hallway. Only one wall was lined with doors, five doors to be exact.

“Um, our practice room is down there.” Kai pointed to the first door from the left. “The next one is the guys’ change room. Then, the washrooms. Then, the girls change room. And lastly, the other dance room, but that’s usually occupied by females.”

Hae Jung asked, “Oh, so…are there dance classes here or something?” They were almost to his practice room, and Hae Jung was chewing on her lip.

“Yep, but none of us are part of it. Suho, our leader, like I said, is the one who watches the studio, but his sister runs a dance class here.” They stopped talking once Kai put his hand on the door handle. He turned it, flashing a reassuring look to her. Her teeth were still digging into her bottom lip.

“Don’t worry, Hae Jung. Are you scared of guys or something?”

Hae Jung shook her head wildly. “N-no, it’s just, I’m not really used to b-being around guys.”

Kai repeated, “Don’t worry.” With that, Kai turned the handle slowly. Hae Jung wasn’t ready for any more guys, but the door opened anyway.

 

A/N: Hi ^^ So, uh, here is chapitre seven. Um, this took me a while...? I've just been working it in the nighttime, lol. But I hope you guys liked it :D Um, the next chapter will also be long. Also, with a lot of Kai and Hae Jung talks/interaction. So, hopefully, you're looking forward to it! Hmm, I absolutely love writing this :) Ugh, I totally adore Kai, too, but I still can't choose an EXO bias, looool >.< I have too much time on my hands...*sigh* Anyway, thanks for reading :D Leave a comment below and subscribe if you haven't :D Have a good day! Chapter eight shall be up...soon? Yes! So, yeah! Thank you!