Girlfriends.

Flawless

“Yah, Kai-ssi, it’s already past twelve o’clock!” A voice yelled to Kai, but it sounded so distant to him.

“H-huh?” Kai’s eyes opened and his head shot up. He noticed the small pool of drool on the table and wiped it hastily with his blazer's sleeve. “U-uh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s not a problem to me, but I just walked by and saw you sleeping.”

Kai didn’t know who the guy was, but when he was more awake, he found that it was only him and the mysterious male in his classroom. “Oh, um, t-thanks.” Kai was a little hesitant to ask, but he just had to. “Sorry,” Kai spoke louder, as the male began to walk away, “W-what’s your name again?”

The male stopped walking, then turned to Kai, one hand clutching onto his backpack’s strap. He wore an unfazed expression on his face. “Why? What does it matter?”

“Well, y-you know my name and I don’t know yours.”

“It’s Jae Won.”

“Jae Won?” Kai’s thoughts went to when he was walking with Hae Jung the other day to bus to the mall. “U-uh, no, I don’t. Mae Ri mentioned something about y-you. And J-Jae W-never mind.” He recalled Hae Jung not finishing the name, but he asked anyway. “Hey, do you know Hae Jung by any chance? She’s a first-”

“Yeah. Do Hae Jung. I know her.” The stoic look on Jae Won's face hadn't changed. He was still not approving of Kai. He knew he wasn’t the closest to Hae Jung, but he felt protective of his old friend. “Do you know her?” he asked, emphasizing on the you, but he knew that he did.

“Um, yeah, she’s…” Kai began to trail off. The word "friend" popped up in his head, but he just ignored it. He was trying to think of another word, but he wasn't successful. “I’ve bumped into her once or twice,” he nonchalantly concluded with.

Jae Won didn’t have the patience to be around Kai anymore, so he nodded his head and left. “B-bye, Jae Won! Thanks for, uh, for waking me up!” Kai shouted, hoping Jae Won would hear it and say something back, but he didn’t. All Jae Won did was wave awkwardly without turning around. A very faint smile formed on Kai’s face without him knowing. He watched Jae Won exit the room before he got up himself and turned off the lights. He closed the door behind him, slightly disturbed by the fact that he was asleep in an empty classroom. A small, curious part of Kai wondered if Hae Jung was still at school. As his mind was flooded with thoughts of Hae Jung, his feet stopped moving. There was a sudden feeling of jealousy that filled him. Wait…how does Jae Won know Hae Jung?

*****

It was finally Saturday, the day of Ha Young’s birthday party. Hae Jung had woke up grumpily like she did every day, but her tiredness fled once she remembered the party she was attending. “How do I forget?” she mumbled to herself angrily as she walked to her washroom.

The clock read 12:23. Hae Jung was to meet with her friends at the theatre in the mall at one o’clock and it would take ten minutes for her dad to drive her to the mall. So, I have, like, slightly less than half an hour. It never really took Hae Jung more than 30 minutes to get ready to go out, but she was a little iffy this time just because it would take her a while to pick out an actual outfit.

In the end, Hae Jung was ready by 12:50 exactly and arrived at the theatre exactly at one. However, no one was there even though Ha Young said she’d be there earlier just in case. What a liar. Hae Jung sat at a bench right outside the theatre, but felt a little silly. She called her friends, but they were still on their way. However, Ha Young didn’t pick up. Eventually, Ha Young and So Ra showed up together.

“Ha Young!”

“Wah, Hae Jung!”

“Happy belated birthday!”

“Aw, thank you!” Ha Young exclaimed, taking Hae Jung’s present. Ha Young didn’t know what she would do with everyone’s presents. Hold everything or make her mom wait and load the presents in? Oh, well.

Hae Jung and Ha Young exchanged tight hugs. They made brief small talk until Hae Jung made eye contact with So Ra. “Oh, hi, So Ra.”

“Wow, you’re nice, Hae Jung,” So Ra laughed sarcastically.

“I see you, like, all the time!” Hae Jung retorted. The three made their way into the theatre and waited for the rest to arrive. Another good friend of all of them, also from their elementary and middle school, Ri Sang was there. Ri Sang had always been quite the artist and it was obvious that she would attend an arts school. They had all caught up on each other’s lives and then went into the theatre.

Little did Hae Jung know that Kai was also in the same theatre with an older girl he met at school. Is that Hae Jung? Kai wondered, eyeing the group of girls entering the theatre. He narrowed his eyes and recognized Hae Jung’s smile and her glasses. Ah, it is! Oh, yeah! She’s got that party with…what’s her name? Mi Young? Ha Ni? Ah, Ha Young! Right!

Kai began to shift around in his seat and the girl next to him sensed his sudden nervousness. “What’s wrong, Kai?”

“Um, nothing, So Jin,” Kai reassured the older girl. He flashed a charming smile, making her forget everything. “It’s nothing. Just got a little cold in here.”

So Jin nodded her head. “Oh, 'kay.” She was oblivious to Kai’s eyes focusing on the group of girls a couple rows in front of them. Kai was straining his neck forward to take a look at Hae Jung. She looks different, a voice in his mind told him, but it was because it was the first time he had seen her hair up (in a bun) and not in uniform. He never saw how Hae Jung was around anyone, but him. He caught her with that same smile she would always wear around him and he couldn’t deny the warm feelings it gave him. The feelings were different compared to a smile of a girl like, for example, So Jin. He didn’t know why. There were a lot of things he couldn’t explain after meeting Hae Jung.

By the end of the movie, Kai hadn’t even known the main characters’ names. He was too focused on Hae Jung laughing and whispering to the friends next to her or he was too busy trying to swat So Jin away without making it obvious he wasn’t interested anymore. He couldn't explain what overtook him to push So Jin away. Maybe it was because Hae Jung was there. He didn’t want her to see, but she never turned around.

“So, are there any cute guys you’ve seen?” Mae Ri questioned all of them. It had been an hour since the movie ended and they were walking around the mall.

“Yah, Mae Ri, why are you so interested in that?” Hae Jung asked with attitude.

Mae Ri made a pretend offended face. “Um, I think I have the right to know who you guys think are cute!”

Each of them confessed whho they thought were cute even if no one knew who they were.

“Hae Jung.”

“What?” she uttered.

“Are there any guys who’ve caught your eye?”

Hae Jung rolled her eyes with something between a smirk and a smile on her face. She shook her head while turning to face straight ahead. Right then, she saw Kai with a girl. Her eyebrows furrowed. “Kai?”

Mae Ri’s head whipped around to look at Hae Jung. “Hae Jung! You think Kai is cute! I told you, didn’t I?” A smirk was plastered on Mae Ri's face.

“N-no! No!” Hae Jung tried to defend. “He’s right there!”

All of the girls Hae Jung was with turned to see who she was talking about. They all saw a tall, messy haired, and tanned male of their age. He was handsome, they all stated in their minds, and none of them could deny it. There was a girl with her arm around his, and they felt a bit upset because it wasn’t Hae Jung, even if they didn’t know what Hae Jung’s relationship was with him.

“Hae Jung-ah,” Mae Ri whispered to her, “Why isn’t that you?”

Hae Jung smacked Mae Ri right on the arm. “What? What’s wrong with you?” she scoffed. Suddenly, Kai turned his head, hearing Hae Jung's voice. He had no expression on his face, they could all see, but once his eyes met Hae Jung's, there was nothing but a sweet smile and eyes resembling crescent moons on his handsome face.

“Hae Jung?” Kai gasped, pretending to be surprised. How likely was it that I actually see her out of the theatre? He chuckled to himself at the thought. So Jin asked what he was laughing at, but he claimed that it was nothing.

“And who is she?” So Jin added.

“She’s…someone from school.”

“H-hey, Kai,” Hae Jung greeted nervously, her eyes shifting in all directions. She was only nervous because she knew that if she overreacted, her friends would suspect some kind of romantic feelings she would have for Kai. It isn’t like that though! Hae Jung defended herself in her head. She felt uneasy yet overjoyed to have seen Kai. Maybe it was coincidence that they meet. Her friends would meet the male she befriended and they would give approval even if she didn’t like him that way. But in the future...who knows?

 

A/N: Hey, durr~ lol, so chapter five is here. I worked on it while I went camping. It was, like, 2 in the morning there and my mom kept yelling at me to go to sleep >.< Anyway, so it's Ha Young's birthday (party) and Hae Jung and her friends bump into Kai :) Speaking of birthdays, mine is coming up on Wednesday ^^ Yay! I'm turning 15 :( Nay. I'm gettin' a little old, but sometimes I wish I was older. So, yeah, Ha Young is here. Just to remind you, all of Hae Jung's friends are based off of my friends and my relationships with them. Yeah, I hope you're feeling all the love, lol. No? Okay. Look forward to the next chapter which shall be up soon! :) Comment and susbcribe ^^ Well, if you haven't and if you want to.