Misunderstood.

Flawless

“What?” Mae Ri and Ki Young asked Hae Jung at the same time.

“Look down,” Hae Jung hissed. The two wondered what she meant, but they listened to her order. Hae Jung shook her head to let her hair fall in front of her face. She shut her eyes tightly. I don’t even know why I don’t want Kai to see me.

Then, she felt her phone vibrate in her hands. She flipped it open to see a new text from Kai. “I looked up…I didn’t see anything. Are you trying to scare me or something, Hae Jung?”

“Mm.” Hae Jung squirmed in her seat.

“What’d you send him?” Mae Ri leaned over and glanced at Hae Jung’s phone.

Hae Jung whimpered, “I told him to look up, but then I realized I didn’t want him to see me because…well, he’s on a date, and, uh, that’s just awkward.” Ki Young and Mae Ri understood, but by then, they had to get off the bus.

“Bye, guys,” Hae Jung smiled at them as they got up from their seats.

“See you, girl,” Mae Ri chuckled. “Have fun on the bus alone!”

“Yeah, Hae Jung, I hope Kai sees you!” Ki Young added. Hae Jung rolled her eyes. She knew that Mae Ri and Ki Young would probably text her later that night.

Hae Jung huffed, sinking into her seat. Strangers nabbed the seats beside her, and she felt really uncomfortable. Hae Jung would occasionally steal a glance at Kai and his date. She didn’t know where they were going to get off, but she prayed it wouldn’t be her stop.

Sadly, no one heard her pleas.

Hae Jung was able to hop off first, but Kai and his date followed not long after. Hae Jung widened her eyes when she turned around to see them right behind her. She quickly faced forward once again and pressed the button against the pole, wishing she would be able to cross the street faster. Ugh, why? She could hear them talking to each other.

“Who was that text from?”

“Oh, just a schoolmate.”

He’s still calling me a schoolmate? Hae Jung didn’t know if she should’ve been angry or sad because of that. She rolled her eyes, and then, the light indicated that she was able to cross the street. She shuffled her feet, still trying to hide her face from Kai even though he was behind her.

Hae Jung walked over to her next bus stop. Okay, I think I lost them. Hae Jung was about to let out a sigh of relief as she stared at the cars passing by. It got stuck in once she heard Kai’s voice.

Ugh, are they following me or something? The voice in her mind was screaming. Her widened eyes never returned to their normal state. The bus arrived, and Hae Jung almost tripped going up the steps. Why? WHY?  This is so awkward. Even though Hae Jung found it awkward, she was the only one. Kai still didn’t know she was there.

Hae Jung raced to a spot in a backseat and hid her face quickly as they were still finding seats. There were only a handful of people on the bus even though the sun was still up.

The bus started up once again, and Hae Jung peered through the curtain of hair she hid her face under. She nibbled on her bottom lip as her eyes scanned the space. She spotted Kai sitting with the red-headed female in the front. Hae Jung finally let out that sigh of relief, but she still didn’t feel settled. There was a part of her that was happy because when her and Kai went on the bus, they always sat in the back.

“Oh,” she gasped quietly, remembering the text she received from him. She began to type. “Hehe, yeah, I was trying to scare you. Did it work?” Hae Jung closed her phone, and looked up.

Hae Jung watched as Kai slipped his phone out once again. He looked at the female who was resting her head on his shoulder once again. Her eyes were closed, and Kai checked his phone. Hae Jung saw a small smile form on Kai’s face as he chuckled. A part of her prayed that it was her text that made him smile. He began to type something back.

Hae Jung’s phone vibrated. “Definitely. I was so scared. I thought I’d see some ghost…or worse, I’d see you...just kidding, Hae Jung.” Hae Jung’s jaw dropped. Now, Hae Jung wasn’t exactly a sensitive person. His text made her laugh, but at the same time, it made her shoulders drop. She snorted inwardly. Hae Jung thought of something to come back with, but she couldn’t.

Her phone shook in her hands. “Are you headed home?” the text read. The curious girl gawked at Kai who let his head fall back against the window. The small girl Hae Jung presumed was his date still leaned against Kai with her eyes closed.

“Yeah. Are you?” Hae Jung was wondering how he would answer.

Kai cracked one eye open. He then opened the other and began to text Hae Jung back. “Yeah, I am.”

Hae Jung’s eyebrow rose. I see this boy is lying to me now. She never liked texting people, but just this once, she didn’t hate it. “Really? Wouldn’t you have, like, some kind of date tonight?”

Kai stared at his open phone. He was feeling bad now. Hae Jung saw his Adam’s apple bob up and down in his throat. He his lips. “No. I just want to go straight home tonightJ Hae Jung didn’t even see the smiley face at the end of his text.

Hae Jung stared at him from far away with bug eyes. She was now upset with him. Hae Jung didn’t like liars, but here Kai was. Hm, I guess we’re not friends at all. Hae Jung sighed. She grabbed a lock of hair, and aimlessly, she braided it. She would wrinkle her nose every now and then.

Hae Jung narrowed her eyes to see if it was her bus stop next. The bus came to a halt, and she stepped off. Once again, the familiar couple exited as well. Hae Jung didn’t seem to care anymore. Why should I feel so nervous? Even if I did bump into him, he would just shrug it off and tell the girl I’m a “schoolmate.” Ugh. Hae Jung exhaled as she squeezed through all the people.

Hae Jung still had about a 10-minute walk to her apartment. She didn’t feel anxious as she walked past the stores filled with people and the busy streets. I guess people are out here since it’s Friday…and school is over. Hae Jung flipped her bangs out of her face as she walked by her favourite bakery. She peered into the window as she walked by to see some people inside. Hae Jung her lips and forced herself to keep walking.

Hae Jung looked down at her watch. 7:43. All of a sudden, Hae Jung’s phone vibrated in her pocket. She pulled it out as she bit her tongue. She bit it harder when she saw who was calling.

It was Kai. Hae Jung didn’t know if she wanted to answer, but she decided she would. What use would it be if I just sulked?

“Hello?” Hae Jung answered with fake enthusiasm. She didn’t want it to show that she was upset with him.

“Hey, Hae Jung,” Kai replied. “Where are you right now?”

Hae Jung’s lip twitched. “I’m walking home…I just walked past the bakery.”

Kai knew what bakery she was talking about. She had always told him about it when they would walk by it. She promised to buy him her favourite pineapple buns from there. Kai smiled. “Really? That’s good.”

“Why?” Hae Jung interrogated. “Are you at home?”

“No,” Kai answered. “Actually, I was in the area, so I was wondering if you could meet me at the front of your apartment.”

“Oh.” Hae Jung scratched her forehead. “Um, sure? Uh, can I ask why?”

Hae Jung could hear Kai’s deep laugh through the phone. Kai breathed, “I just want to see you.”

Was it alright if Hae Jung’s heart fluttered in its chest? Was it hypocritical of her? She couldn’t stop her feelings from being that way. She was becoming excited at the thought, but she wasn’t going to fall for it so easily.

“Okay,” Hae Jung said with a composed look on her face.

Kai smiled even wider. “Okay, I’ll be there in, maybe, 10 minutes from now.”

“See you in 10 minutes then, Kai.”

“See you, Miss Do.” The last thing Kai heard before he hung up was Hae Jung laugh.

Hae Jung continued to stroll to her apartment. She was probably three minutes away now. She debated whether or not to run upstairs, drop her backpack off, and change in seven minutes more or less. Ugh, whatever. I’m not that fast anyway.

Hae Jung slowed her pace to waste time. Her eyes shifted in different directions, capturing the sights of strangers spending their Friday nights off. I’m out of school! Yay, I’m done school! Hae Jung sung in her head. She arrived in front of the apartment entrance in six minutes. She had an expected four minutes until Kai would meet her.

Hae Jung leaned against the wall beside the doors, squishing her backpack. People continued to walk by. No one took a glance at Hae Jung, and she was thankful for that.

“Hae Jung!”

Hae Jung took her eyes off of the ground and turned her head in the direction the voice was coming from. The thoughts of Kai lying to her didn’t leave her mind, and she wasn’t going to let go of it so easily. Maybe, I’ll confront him another day.

“Hey, Kai,” Hae Jung greeted.

“Hi!” Kai exclaimed as he skidded to a stop right in front of her. Hae Jung stood up straight now. “Is there somewhere we can go?”

“Hm?”

“Is there some place we can go to talk or something?” Kai’s hair was messy, sticking out in all sorts of directions. It made Hae Jung laugh quietly, but Kai didn’t notice. His lips were slightly swollen. I think someone’s been making out, Hae Jung concluded in her mind.

Hae Jung sighed before answering, “Um, there’s a park down the street.”

“Good! Lead the way, Hae Jung!”

Hae Jung pushed her glasses up and began to walk in the direction of the park. Kai followed her like a puppy. “So, uh, how were tests?” Hae Jung made small talk, trying to get rid of the awkwardness she felt.

“They were alright. How about yours?”

Hae Jung shrugged. “I did...alright, I guess.” Hae Jung’s lips formed into a straight line. It was quiet for the rest of the time they walked to the park.

There were about three kids playing in the small park. An empty bench off the side caught their attention. Kai raced to it first. He patted the vacant spot next to him for Hae Jung.

Hae Jung pressed her lips tightly together. She sat down hesitantly. She folded her hands neatly in her lap. “So, what’d you need from me?”

“Nothing,” Kai chirped. “I just want to see you, Miss Do!” Hae Jung cracked a smile after hearing that. Kai stared at her, seeing the smile appear on her face. “So, how was your last day?”

Hae Jung looked at him with an unfazed expression now, and she raised her eyebrow. “Really, Kai? All we had were tests for the last days. Obviously, it’s going to be a horrible last day!” Hae Jung cried. She leaned forward on her elbows on her knees.

The kids continued to play in the park in front of them. The sun was setting, but it wasn't very close to the horizon yet. Everything had a glow to it, including Hae Jung. Kai shook his head slowly, trying to rid the nervous feelings. All Kai could do was nod.

“So, uh, how about you?” Hae Jung returned the question.

“Huh?” Hae Jung caught Kai by surprise. “O-oh, me? It was alright. I’m just kind of tired now.” Kai sat back and looked up at the blue sky with flecks of orange and pink.

“Really? You don’t seem that tired,” Hae Jung stated, slightly suggesting that he couldn’t be tired if he was on a date. Kai shrugged. He didn’t really notice that Hae Jung was hinting something. He was just oblivious.

Hae Jung heaved a long sigh. “Okay, well…what else do you need from me?” She was still upset that he lied to her, and she wasn’t in the mood to stay with him.

“What’s wrong, Hae Jung?” Kai frowned. He turned his head to look at Hae Jung. He noticed the troubled expression on her face and the way her eyebrows furrowed together. It bothered him. There was definitely something wrong. I need to find out what it is.

Hae Jung stared back at him. “Nothing. Why?” Hae Jung tried to slowly change her expressions. She realized only then that she probably looked upset, so she stopped frowning and relaxed her face. She didn't want Kai to ask anymore questions.

Kai leaned forward and analyzed her face. He could tell that she was trying not to look upset. Out of the blue, he squished her cheeks with his hand and whispered, “What’s wrong, Miss Do?”

Hae Jung widened her eyes. Kai’s face was this close to hers. She let out shallow breaths as she tried to steady her heartbeats. “Nothing,” she said, almost inaudible to Kai’s ears.

Without letting go of her face, Kai questioned with a low voice, “Then, why do you look so upset?”

Hae Jung was feeling a little self-conscious. Do I look cute, or weird with my cheeks all puffed up like this? “It’s nothing, Kai.” She blinked. Kai’s hands dropped, and Hae Jung felt like her glasses were about to fall from the abrupt action. She quickly pushed them back in place.

“Fine, don’t tell me.” He crossed his arms and sunk into his seat. His shoulders dropped, and so did his concern. Hmph, Hae Jung won’t tell me anything! Fine! FINE!

Hae Jung exhaled. She tried not to roll her eyes. She was feeling a bit bad now, but at the same time, it wasn’t something she had to talk about with Kai. Plus, he wasn’t telling her everything either!

It was quiet for a few moments. Both Hae Jung and Kai were both really empty minded at that time. Not much was really going through their heads as they stared up at the sky. They both felt bad. Kai realized that he was being hypocritical. I lied to her about tonight, didn’t I? Hae Jung, on the other hand, felt bad only because he was making her feel that way. But why do I have to tell him if he doesn’t want to tell me anything? They were both frustrated with themselves and the other.

Ugh, why can’t he just tell me?

Ugh, why can’t she just tell me?

“Kai?” Hae Jung called out, still gazing at the sky.

“Yes, Hae Jung?” Kai peered at Hae Jung, but she wasn't looking at him. He leaned forward and kept his eyes on the park.

“You know what you can do for my birthday?”

“What?”

“Be my friend.”

 

A/N: Hi, there. So, chapter eleven was pretty, um...I can't think of a word. I hope you're enjoying the story as much as I am writing it. This is actually a really easy story to write. I guess it's because Hae Jung's character is practically me :3 Anyway, please comment and subscribe if you haven't ^^ Stay tuned :D

Have you listened to NU'EST's new album? No? Go listen to it! Sorry, NU'EST is my current obsession (but Infinite will be my FOREVER obsession...if that makes sense) Mm...would you be my Sandy? lol, I really like Cross Gene, too. Takuya's gorgeous T.T Eh, doing NU'EST and Cross Gene promoting, lol, when this is an EXO fanfic.